Tiara

Shock Festival

Holy crap! Just got the book yesterday. I'm beyond impressed. This was a hell of a lot of work! I'm about a 1/4 into it and I love the layout, the stories, and, of course, the artwork. As a person who works with artifacts of real history everyday, I love the concept of imagining a past and creating artifacts in support of it. Post-modern verisimilitude at its best. Can't wait for kids 10 years from now claim they actually saw Bad Kitty '69!

I'm about halfway through my copy. It's DENSE reading, and I friggin' love it.

I know these people. I've worked on $30,000 film sets, directed films with NO MONEY, watched people get into film to try and get laid, and I have seen first hand the petty ego trips people go off on over a project they never finish.

I've worked with folks who swear by video, and others who can't stand the notion of shooting with anything that doesn't have sprockets.

I think some trailers should be shot for these projects. Mock interviews and behind the scenes promos would be awesome too. They'd make a great DVD companion to the book.

Back when Dread Central talked about there being a trailer contest, this is the one I did. It's the trailer for "Amazing Mutating Freak."

Holy crap! Just got the book yesterday. I'm beyond impressed. This was a hell of a lot of work! I'm about a 1/4 into it and I love the layout, the stories, and, of course, the artwork. As a person who works with artifacts of real history everyday, I love the concept of imagining a past and creating artifacts in support of it. Post-modern verisimilitude at its best. Can't wait for kids 10 years from now claim they actually saw Bad Kitty '69!

Aww . . . gee, thanks, guys. We really did put LOT of work into this, and I am BEYOND MOVED that you all love it so much!

STEPHEN

You'll be floored by how everything eventually ties together! Its the best book I've bought in quite awhile!

Wow. And I thought nobody would even read the text! That is the best compliment I could get, man. I WORKED HARD to make the story behind the scenes compelling and rich, with a real socko ending---SO GLAD you dig it!

STEPHEN

I want to thank the amazing mister TIM BRADSTREET for believing in this---without him, not only would I have not found a GREAT FRIEND AND COLLABOATOR . . . NOT ONLY would this book not exist . . . but the many opportunities coming my way as a result of this crazy project would never have happened. Tim---you are a magician, a madman and a solid friend. Not to mention the best artist who ever lived!

Thanks also to THOMAS FUCKIN' JANE, who is the greatest! (OH MAN, just you people wait to see what me and Tom are cooking up now!)

EXTRA MEGA THANKS AND RESPECT to the awesome DAVE ALLCOCK, who saved my ass on this, when I really needed a helping hand. (I swear you'll get a copy soon!)

MOST OF ALL . . . THANK YOU ALL FOR READING IT AND LOVING IT. I AM HUMBLED BY SUCH KINDNESS. . . . and that's hard to do with a hardass like myself. (Actually, I'm just a big softie.)

STEPHEN

P.S. Sorry I don't come here more often, guys. My life is very . . . complicated sometimes.

AND GO SEE WATCHMEN!!!!!

Stephen, you're a bloody little genius. I was so happy to be involved and I love this shit just as much as you do...now where's my fucking copy?!

and whatever you're cooking up with TJ - I want double helpings.

D.

David - We'll totally be thinking of you when we get this off the ground.

It's right up yer alley.

And not for nuthin' but COME TO SDCC WITH WESTON!

You owe it to your wife to give her some solitude for a week.

xo - TB

I REALLY REALLY want to come to SDCC. Weston keeps bugging me about it too......it's all a matter of cost though I'm afraid. Unless someone flys me over, I can't afford it at the moment :(

...of course , situations change. lets see where i'm at in the next couple of months.

A 3-disk companion DVD? Sign me up! I hope this goes well too, I'd like to see (fingers crossed) some of these faux films come to life.

Hmm, come Oct. momma's got a tough decision - diapers, beer, or shock festival DVD. Can't live w/o beer. Can't live w/o that SF DVD either. I guess baby's goin' commando...

Stephen,

Y'all probably have this base covered but here in the Reno area we've got a great horror showcase (not cable access either but a real network station), Zomboo's House of Horrors. Don't know how many are still around, but conecting these showcases with the SF DVD release would seem like a nice marketing move.

Oh, and a DVD release party at a drive-in would rock. That's a party I'd buy plane tickets for.

Keep up the great work!

Damn man, I will, WILL, shit a brick if Riding Shotgun is one of the trailers! Or Tarantulasaurus.

FearZone's Greg Lamberson weighs in with the ULTIMATE SHOCK FESTIVAL REVIEW!!!!!!

Read to learn more about why SHOCK FESTIVAL is one of the best books you'll read this year.

Shock Festival: Book review by Greg Lamberson

Oh HELL yes.

- TB

Finally got my lazy butt around to ordering a copy of the book. Archetype is keeping me busy as I'm a pretty slow reader. A DVD you say...holy crap! Sounds VERY cool. Sounds like something you could get some major Hollywood support on. Sure guys like Tarantino, Rodriguez, Roth, James Gunn and Joss Whedon would jump at the chance to film some spots on this thing. Regardless, I'm looking forward to it. I got to thumb through it at the Dallas Comicon and it's a an amazing book.

Cool, I love the 42nd Street Forever DVDs, so I'll be picking this fucker up right away.

Hey, have I mentioned yet that I absolutely LOVE this fuckin' book?

I e-mailed Stephen a few weeks ago to check up on the dvd. He assured me it's gonna be a blast... when it comes out.

Yeah, Stephen's been working massively hard on the DVD for Shock Festival.

Stupid hard.

Hopefully I can get him to stop by and give us some more details on the release dates etc . . .

I'm VERY proud that we'll have copies of Shock for sale at our booth for the FIRST TIME at the Long Beach show in October.

I just wish Stephen could be there.

- TB

Once some details start coming about the dvd, it'll just taste so sweet.

Spread the good word about Shock Festival. Hands down one of the top 5 books I've bought in the past 5 years.

Double post, but what the Hell...

Found some new info on the dvd here along with a short trailer for the release. Their site says it releases Feb. 9, but I'm positive it comes out this month.

DVD Set Features:

Over 7 hours of the most rare and unusual exploitation trailers, TV ads and radio spots from the age of GRINDHOUSE CINEMA!

Over 4 Hours of the most unique, amazing and outrageous exploitation and horror trailers from the 1970s and 1980s!

Interview with Independent International Pictures President Sam Sherman

Commentary tracks by Stephen Romano and Uncle Creepy www.dreadcentral.com

Audio disc containing over 3 hours of exploitation radio spots plus original music on MP3s, ready to plug into your iPod, computer or CD player!

Bonus Collector’s Poster with Original Artwork by artist and author, Stephen Romano!

Shock Festival image gallery! All New Posters! Special Features!

Very cool, I love the 42nd Street Forever series, I hope I can see some new/interesting traliers from the Shock Festival DVD.

For the latest, straightest dope on the Shock Festival DVD I'm hoping to get Stephen Romano himself to step back into the hallowed halls of RAW and give you guys the lowdown.

Let's see if I can nudge him out of his sanctum sanctorum and over to his computer to give us an update.

I did speak with him a few weeks ago about this very project and he was literally beaming and alternately screaming in pain.

Not just the kidney stones he passed but you know you can't always do EVERYTHING you hoped and dreamed about.

Still, my money says you and I will never know the difference cause we ain't got a clue what he wasn't able to get on this puppy for our visceral digestion.

The commentary by Romano should be worth the price alone.

Should have some updates very quickly and hoping to add this to the RAW store here shortly as well.

- TB

Well shit, looks like it was indeed pushed back to Feb. 9. I guess I'll know for sure in a couple days.

This just in from the land of ROMANO!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SHOCK FESTIVAL: THE DVD RAVES ON . . . and it REALLY MEANS SOMETHING, too!

Yo, kids!

My DVD set comes out on Feb. 9 2010, and it's still getting across the board RAVE REVIEWS. I feel like a proud parent. It took us a year to do this thing and do it right. People are really digging my commentraies, too, during which I manage to sneak some of my radical anti-war/political views in. I had to fight really hard to keep that stuff in there because it was very important for me to say something REAL about the world we live in, in addition to all the sexy mayhem . . . it was one of the many reasons the release was delayed up until now . . . but it's there and I'm happy as hell. As I've said before: you don't have to make sure everything you write or create is ABOUT SOMETHING, but it sure helps if you try, dude!

That what any of us do as artists. We push the limits. We try your patience. Maybe we make you think some. And we kick ass! These people agree:

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/post/119859-a...shock-festival/

http://xrayspex.blogspot.com/2009/12/books...an-romanos.html

http://scarsmagazine.com/blog/2009/12/11/s...ster/#more-2145

http://www.joblo.com/arrow/dvd_reviews.php?id=2480

http://www.shockingimages.com/modules/smar...php?itemid=1266

http://www.bloodtypeonline.com/s181.htm

http://www.sexgoremutants.co.uk/shockfestdvd.html

And watch for the article in next week's Austin Chronicle! SHOCK ON!

STEPHEN

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh YEAH! Hopefully a personal word from the creator soon!

- TB