Tiara

Shock Festival

Guys, sorry for the quick review. I'm just running out for the holidays. Just wanted to say THANK YOU! Shock Festival was pure enjoyment from cover to cover. I love the whole Elliot Swann storyline, especially that part at the end of the book. Jane Juanita Chance, Natalie Ustinov, ROCK BENSON! Man it's like I was there. Stephen, I just loved the journalistic approach to uncovering these non existent gems. I forgot it was all fake after 5 pages and just believed it hook, line, and sinker. The variety and sheer volume of art inside is incredible. Tim, loved your posters, I could spot them a mile away but they fit in perfectly. I just know your work when I see it. My favorite poster is a toss up between Riding Shotgun and Runner. Great work guys. Hopefully when I can find more time I'll go in depth about my affection for this book! Thanks again.

I love this, "In a world that was about to explode, he came back. TO GO BEYOND."

And I love the name "Elliot Swann" and "his career" as described in the Palahniuk site interview.

The whole concept guys, fun, cool, genius. B)

Do you have a boyfriend?

Guys, sorry for the quick review. I'm just running out for the holidays. Just wanted to say THANK YOU! Shock Festival was pure enjoyment from cover to cover. I love the whole Elliot Swann storyline, especially that part at the end of the book. Jane Juanita Chance, Natalie Ustinov, ROCK BENSON! Man it's like I was there. Stephen, I just loved the journalistic approach to uncovering these non existent gems. I forgot it was all fake after 5 pages and just believed it hook, line, and sinker. The variety and sheer volume of art inside is incredible. Tim, loved your posters, I could spot them a mile away but they fit in perfectly. I just know your work when I see it. My favorite poster is a toss up between Riding Shotgun and Runner. Great work guys. Hopefully when I can find more time I'll go in depth about my affection for this book! Thanks again.

You know I did the RUNNER poster, so it looks like me and Tim are head-to-head for top spot . . . but Tim took the refrence shot of Jane for that one, so he wins! Thanks, man! Glad you dig what it's all about. I've been really happy that people who have actually READ the book seem to "plug right in." Tim, you and Jane's comps are in the mail tomorrow. From the last few I have lying around . . .

You know I did the RUNNER poster, so it looks like me and Tim are head-to-head for top spot . . . but Tim took the refrence shot of Jane for that one, so he wins! Thanks, man! Glad you dig what it's all about. I've been really happy that people who have actually READ the book seem to "plug right in." Tim, you and Jane's comps are in the mail tomorrow. From the last few I have lying around . . .

wheres my copy?!

You could make sense out of that drunken finger-babble?

Dave Allcock, keyboard dyslexia translator extraordinaire!

kli Lope you're wel g

- bT

You could make sense out of that drunken finger-babble?

Dave Allcock, keyboard dyslexia translator extraordinaire!

kli Lope you're wel g

- bT

ha! just about.....you gotta read between the lines. stevie was either shitfaced when he typed that or typing at lightspeed........or he got your daughter to type it for him with her newfound keyboard skills

Do you have a boyfriend?

Momentarily OT:

Thanks so much for that! I laughed out loud, so hard.

Great way to start the day! :D

Cheers!

Momentarily OT:

Thanks so much for that! I laughed out loud, so hard.

Great way to start the day! :D

Cheers!

I was serious. Really. (They see through me . . .)

ha! just about.....you gotta read between the lines. stevie was either shitfaced when he typed that or typing at lightspeed........or he got your daughter to type it for him with her newfound keyboard skills

Actually, all the letters are half worn off my typewriter and I'm also . . . sort of . . . an idiot . . . Cool blog review:

http://chadwickhsaxelid.typepad.com/zillaroars/

Apparantly, I have "celebrity friends."

STEPHEN

STEPHEN

It's good you read that blog then, so that you'd know that now. See - blogs come in handy for something.

Cool blog review:

http://chadwickhsaxelid.typepad.com/zillaroars/

STEPHEN

That's such a great review I have to copy into this post - For the review will eventually be lost to the archives of the blog.

Chadzilla Speaks!

Stephen Romano's Shock Festival

One hundred and one of the strangest, sleaziest, and most outrageous movies you have never seen.

And that you will never see, because those one hundred and one movies, and the cast of nutball actors, directors, producers, and writers that created them, do not exist. Stephen Romano's Shock Festival is a hilarious and heart warming (for the exploitation movie loving geek, that is) history that never was, but very well could have been. It's kind of sad, in a way, because I really want to see some of these movies, no matter how bad some of them are supposed to be.

And believe me, these movies could be really, really bad.

Whatever whacked out genre of 70s/80s grindhouse exploitation cinema you might love, or just remember seeing the advertisements for in the local paper, or theater, or television station, you will find it recreated in loving detail on the pages of this too good to be true book. From sexploitation to blaxploitation, space opera to alien invasion, zombies, ghosts, and monsters to animals run amok, and rogue cops/vigilantes to plain old psychos on the loose. It's all here in gritty and good natured detail.

Romano and his crew of artists and friends (more on them in a moment) have created a series of jaw droppingly accurate theatrical one sheets, lobby cards, production stills, and even soundtrack albums and movie novelizations to illustrate the insane mock history Romano narrates. That many of the films, their adverts, and the people that made them are clearly parodies and/or homages of real life films and people only makes the jokes funnier to the knowledgeable fan. Darby Silver is a parody of Dario Argento, Chuck Music of Charles Band, etc. Just a few of the joke movies that I was able to see the inspiration for (no doubt intentionally) peeking through the curtain of falsehood: Dead Bugs On the Carpet (Four Flies on Grey Velvet), The Amazing Mutating Freak (The Incredible Melting Man, and I remember seeing and wanting to get that make-up kit), The Ghost of the Raven (The Spectre of Edgar Allan Poe), Mangled (Grizzly), and Starfire Beyond the Galaxy (Star Crash, the experience of writing a book about the production of that film, of having stories he could not tell, inspired Romano to write Shock Festival, all the more reason to love Luigi Cozzi's intoxicatingly silly Spaghetti Space Opera).

If that weren't enough, and it is, the artwork alone is worth far more than its cover price is asking, some of Romano's celebrity friends (I didn't forget about them) join in on the fun. Allowing their likenesses to be used to create some of the characters in Romano's Alternate Cinema History, actors Ashley Laurence (Hellraiser, Hellbound: Hellraiser 2) and Thomas Jane (Deep Blue Sea, The Punisher, and The Mist) "appear" as sex kitten Natalya Ustinov and Euro-Action star Elliot Swan, respectively. My geek eye also spotted author Jack Ketchum and the aforementioned Luigi Cozzi in one or two of the hundreds of photos sprinkled between the countless bogus one sheets. My only disappointments with Shock Festival were that I could not be a part of the fun and that the book, like the era it so fondly mocks, had to come to an end.

Great stuff.

- TB

OMG...congratulations!

Just to encapsulate -

Shock Festival to my knowledge has received nothing but positive reviews.

Well done Stephen!

Here's a quick breakdown -

"Take a drop of Joe R. Lansdale's blood. Then a slice from David J. Schow's scalp. Scrape some phlegm off Tarantino's tongue. Inject some of Robert Rodriguez's sperm. Pour in some Karo syrup. Mix it in a blender. Pour. These are just some of the ingredients of Stephen Romano's unique work . . . If the buzz surrounding his new book, SHOCK FESTIVAL, is any indication, Stephen Romano's work will not only turn heads, it's going to make heads roll . . . "

---CHUCKPALAHNIUK.NET

“A stone groove and as badass a tome as you're likely to come across this year or the next. If you love grindhouse, sleaze cinema, or B-movies in general, you owe it to yourself to pick up a copy.”

---FILM THREAT.COM

BOOK OF THE MONTH! “One of the greatest homage to B-cinema ever undertaken . . . Shock Festival is a breathtakingly thorough overview of over 100 movies and a slew of filmmaker and actors who never existed -- but which you'll believe actually did by the time you finish reading. The breadth and variety of personalities and events rival many a “serious” novel. ”

---FANGORIA

BEST FICTION BOOK OF 2008! "While the term "mockumentary practically wrote itself, it's going to take a clever writer to describe Stephen Romano's fictional alternate history of exploitation films . . . (Romano) has created a vivid universe filled with films you'd love to see and personalities you'd line up at a convention to meet, lavishly illustrated with a plethora of eye-popping posters, lobby cards, on-set still and ad mats for such fictional films as THE UNDERTAKER AND HIS WIFE and STARFIRE BEYOND THE GALAXY . . . Fans swept up in the recent wave of grindhouse nostalgia NEED to buy this book!"

--RUE MORGUE MAGAZINE

“Stephen Romano is the Robert Rodriguez of horror! Whether he's writing short stories, novels, comics, screenplays, or designing movie posters, it seems there's nothing this cat can't do. Not only do I give (SHOCK FESTIVAL) my highest recommendation, I'm even calling it my favorite book of 2008.”

--COMICS 101.COM

“Hilarious, crude, incisive, exploitative . . . Romano’s pseudo-journalistic Endeavour (is) a genuine revelation, an event that’s rarely, if ever, been done before . . . the merging of fact and fiction into something too outrageous to be the truth, and too disarmingly ghastly/gorgeous to be anything but.”

--THE AUSTIN CHRONICLE

“Spectacularly over-the top and gloriously fictional . . . the posters are eye-poppingly accurate riffs on the genre; the profiles of the principals, though fictional, are arresting and reflect the interview-driven reporting of cinema studies. It’s a sure conversation starter, and an inspiration to revisit some of those real guilty pleasures of the grindhouse past.”

---BUTLER UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF LIBERAL ARTS AND SCIENCES

“My hat is off and my glass is raised to Stephen Romano for producing one of the most original works of any medium I've seen in a good while. Well written, even better illustrated, Shock Festival is Z-movie fun from start to finish.”

---PHANTASMARCHIVES.COM

“My favorite of all new things to come my way this year has to be Stephen Romano's phenomenal love note to the world of exploitation and horror, SHOCK FESTIVAL. I can't explain how fucking happy it makes me to leaf through this very nice, very well-put together hardcover that just begs to be displayed . . . you get that familiar feeling of displaced nostalgia which just leaps off the page, attacking the senses. And more often than not, I would experience the same sensations as when reading an Alex Ross comic, or watching the amazingly reminiscent GARTH MARENGHI'S DARKPLACE, absorbing the images and info.”

---SCANDYFACTORY.COM

“Whatever whacked out genre of 70s/80s grindhouse exploitation cinema you might love . . . you will find it recreated in loving detail on the pages of this too good to be true book. That many of the films, their adverts, and the people that made them are clearly parodies and/or homages of real life films and people only makes the jokes funnier to the knowledgeable fan. My only disappointments with Shock Festival were that I could not be a part of the fun and that the book, like the era it so fondly mocks, had to come to an end.”

---ZILLAROARS.COM

“Stephen Romano has created a masterpiece of fiction that speaks on many levels, achieving something unexpected and awesome. In fact, the real “shock” of SHOCK FESTIVAL may be that in addition to all the low-rent cinematic mayhem, which is brilliantly illustrated and one-hundred percent authentic, it is a great story. Actually, it's an EPIC story, as layered and complex as any novel and filled with great characters you will remember for a long time. One can only hope Hollywood will step up and take notice of Romano’s bizarre netherworld of B-movie mayhem. The crazy behind-the-scenes-follies of fictional films such as THE UNDERTAKER AND HIS WIFE and ASSAULT FROM ROBOT PLANET 101 would make an epic “mockumentary" in the style of Spinal Tap. Think Christopher Guest meets Quentin Tarantino, baby!”

---DREADCENTRAL.COM

The proof is here!

Now what are you waiting for, go get yerself a copy!

- TB

Just finished reading my copy, and hot damn was it good! If I had the knowledge, time, and a big bag of chips, I'd so want to make a mock IMDB site to link all the flicks and actors together!

If anyone can help me here, when is the dvd coming out or where can I buy one?

Guest AdminGuyX

I'm about halfway through my copy. It's DENSE reading, and I friggin' love it.

I know these people. I've worked on $30,000 film sets, directed films with NO MONEY, watched people get into film to try and get laid, and I have seen first hand the petty ego trips people go off on over a project they never finish.

I've worked with folks who swear by video, and others who can't stand the notion of shooting with anything that doesn't have sprockets.

I think some trailers should be shot for these projects. Mock interviews and behind the scenes promos would be awesome too. They'd make a great DVD companion to the book.

I'm about halfway through my copy. It's DENSE reading, and I friggin' love it.

I know these people. I've worked on $30,000 film sets, directed films with NO MONEY, watched people get into film to try and get laid, and I have seen first hand the petty ego trips people go off on over a project they never finish.

I've worked with folks who swear by video, and others who can't stand the notion of shooting with anything that doesn't have sprockets.

I think some trailers should be shot for these projects. Mock interviews and behind the scenes promos would be awesome too. They'd make a great DVD companion to the book.

You'll be floored by how everything eventually ties together! Its the best book I've bought in quite awhile!

Thanks for your excellent support xNLx -

And Stephen finally got our official Shock Festival Facebook page a-rollin'.

As I've mentioned many times before, we got literally no promotion for this book when it came out, pretty much only the Diamond solicit and what Stephen and I did, most of which was Stephen's tireless efforts to support this around the internet through sites like Fangoria, Rue Morgue, and Dread Central.

What we really need is to spread the word, so please invite your facebook friends to check out the page and help us in our crusade to share our love of all things Exploitative and Grindhouse, B, and Z Cinema, from Roger Corman's American International, to Shock Waves, to Vice Squad, Star Crash and beyond.

Shock Festival has it all.

Click, roll, and infect - Stephen Romano's Shock Festival on Facebook.

Also - At the page Stephen has set up some big galleries and behind the scenes looks, really fun insight from the creators, and even some "how he did it" looks behind the making of the art. Also a Thomas Jane/Elliot Swann behind the scenes. He's adding stuff all the time. If you are a fan of Shock Festival you won't want to miss out on all these extras, stuff you can't get with just the book itself!

As always, we appreciate your continued support.

Be seeing you - TB

Just purchased this on Amazon today and became a fan on FB. I really can't wait for this to land on my doorstep. Been waiting a while for this indulgence. Must say, when Noeland said it was dense reading, that sealed the deal for me.