Tim Bradstreet

Dark Country

Saw this and it started me wondering. With the advent of 3-D technology for the home, i.e. 3-D flat screens, is it possible that we could eventually see a 3-D version of this movie on dvd someday?

Maybe?

Tom has often said that he hopes to do a definitive version (with a few small cuts) in 3D for Blue Ray at some point in the future.

I'm curious to know how DVD sales have been. Combine that with iTunes and PPV profits.

This movie was pretty cheap to make (3.5M) so I'm guessing that it won't take too long to see a profit though Sony did nada to promote.

Time will tell. I'll see if TJ has any lowdown. Hopefully we'll see DC on Blue Ray in 3D in the not too distant.

- TB

Not sure if this interview with Tom online has been posted yet...

"I was looking for something where I could sort of plant my own personal taste

into the film and contribute something that was unique and not feel like I was

ripping off anybody; to create a look and tone of the movie that was singularly

my own. I also wanted to create something that was different."

http://www.fulvuedrive-in.com/review/9103/...+-+Lead+A\

ctor/Director+of+Dark+Country

Jen

...and as Tim mentioned in the Dark Country spoilers thread about everyone having a different interpretation of the film - and that's way cool - is this review of DC:

"Dark Country is the kind of movie I feel I could watch repeatedly, even knowing what the ending brings. I think each viewing would present something missed previously, offering alternate viewpoints every time."

http://lilblogofhorrors.com/2009-thomas-janes-dark-country

Jen

I thought that you'd all like to know that with the help of Tim, Tom, Kelly & Sony we are now showing DC in 3D at the CSC 3D workshops in Toronto early next month.

At the moment the showings are only for people attending the 3D workshops but I believe that there has been so much interest that the organisers are trying to get permission for a more open showing.

Jen - what a great find! Loved the music. Especially liked that the creator didn't give away what the movie's REALLY about!

I have just such a copy :-)

Geoff - could I hook you up with the Festival Director for Sci-Fi-London - the festival just opened yesterday, but there is an Oktoberfest event later in the year .. the venue where the theatre is set up now has a RealD projection /display system too ...

I have just such a copy :-)

Also - I could arrange a "special event" for the UK Stereoscopic Society - I'm sure it would generate some interest !

Jen - what a great find! Loved the music. Especially liked that the creator didn't give away what the movie's REALLY about!

Glad you liked it kdedu. :D A "little bird" (well, maybe not so little - LOL) told me to pass that info along...

I was worried too, before I saw the clip, that it would give away too much of the plot of the film, but it doesn't.

Jen

Here's a cool fan video for Dark Country featuring Tom and Lauren German:

The music was nice and really seemed to flow with the scenes in the movie. Has anyone ever seen or heard of "The Dark Side of The Rainbow"? Where The Dark Side of The Moon album (1973-Pink Floyd) pairs with The Wizard of Oz movie? The music in that album coincides with the movie, it's really kinda trippy. Well anyway, this video kinda reminded me of that. LOL Very nice...

i was so looking forward to getting this dvd but unfortunatly it only appears to be region1(meaning it cant be viewed outside of america)

hope it will will be available to watch in the UK soon.

i was so looking forward to getting this dvd but unfortunatly it only appears to be region1(meaning it cant be viewed outside of america)

hope it will will be available to watch in the UK soon.

You could wait for a UK release, or you could buy a Region Free DVD player.

There's an unedited, text interview online with Tom about Dark Country, etc...; not sure if there are any spoilers in it, but I think Tom gets technical with 3D info....

It's a very long, in-depth interview!:

http://lennylipton.wordpress.com/2010/08/2...th-thomas-jane/

Jen

There's an unedited, text interview online with Tom about Dark Country, etc...; not sure if there are any spoilers in it, but I think Tom gets technical with 3D info....

It's a very long, in-depth interview!:

http://lennylipton.wordpress.com/2010/08/2...th-thomas-jane/

Jen

Wow! Thanks for finding that! Great interview. Actually, one of my favorites ever. :D

So I think that one of the things we can do is to vary the intensity of the 3-D.

How come Tom is the only one who knows how to use 3-D interestingly? Tom is a genius! I've never read anyone else break it down like that. Bravo, Tom! Such a clever fella!

WOW!! FINALLY got to see this movie in 3D, the way it was meant to be seen and I gotta say, it adds an entirely new flavor to the film. It's like watching a totaly different movie from the 2D version. The use of 3D in this is brilliant. The many different nuances that are added to the story are incredible. The scenes inside the car are almost surreal they are so lifelike, and the many shots of the stars, and the desert, and the night sky are simply breathtaking! The stars come to life, and even the plants are so lifelike you feel as if you could reach out and touch them. And the set-ups of some of the shots were so visually stunning it was unbelievable. From the opening title sequence to the awesome car crash at the end, the 3D was used to great effect in this movie and, imo, Thomas and alll those involved have broken new ground with this film.

Amazing! That's all I can say! Anyone who hasn't seen this in full-on, glorious third dimension, you have no idea what you're missing. If you ever get the chance, you've got to do it.

WOW!! FINALLY got to see this movie in 3D, the way it was meant to be seen and I gotta say, it adds an entirely new flavor to the film. It's like watching a totaly different movie from the 2D version. The use of 3D in this is brilliant. The many different nuances that are added to the story are incredible. The scenes inside the car are almost surreal they are so lifelike, and the many shots of the stars, and the desert, and the night sky are simply breathtaking! The stars come to life, and even the plants are so lifelike you feel as if you could reach out and touch them. And the set-ups of some of the shots were so visually stunning it was unbelievable. From the opening title sequence to the awesome car crash at the end, the 3D was used to great effect in this movie and, imo, Thomas and alll those involved have broken new ground with this film.

Amazing! That's all I can say! Anyone who hasn't seen this in full-on, glorious third dimension, you have no idea what you're missing. If you ever get the chance, you've got to do it.

That's so cool that you got to see Dark Country that way!! :D

Jen

I'm so happy! I got the DVD yesterday (thank God that I have a region free dvd player) and I just love it!

Great film; I could watch it every day. I think I watch it again today. :D This world needs more of such films!

just wanted to mention that i'm super excited about the 3D screening of Dark Country this month at the CASTRO THEATER, moderated by EDDIE MULLER! those of you who are film noir fans, Eddie has literally written the book on Noir. several of them. and he's the cat who does all the dvd commentary on most of your favorite 'films noir.'

it's a special honor for me, because while i was prepping the film, i was constantly listening to and reading Eddie Muller. And one of my goals was to get Eddie to do commentary on my film. 'then it would truly be a noir' was my thinking. so to have Eddie invite his Film Noir Foundation to see the film, at the beautiful Castro - and then do a Q & A after... pinch me.

i'm going to break out all my old Noir dvd's and refresh my memory! gotta be prepared for the Muller.

we'll be filming the q&a (in 3D!) and hopefully putting in on the long awaited American Blu Ray edition. so hey! anybody in the Bay Area free on Nov 18th, i hope i see you there!!

just wanted to mention that i'm super excited about the 3D screening of Dark Country this month at the CASTRO THEATER, moderated by EDDIE MULLER! those of you who are film noir fans, Eddie has literally written the book on Noir. several of them. and he's the cat who does all the dvd commentary on most of your favorite 'films noir.'

it's a special honor for me, because while i was prepping the film, i was constantly listening to and reading Eddie Muller. And one of my goals was to get Eddie to do commentary on my film. 'then it would truly be a noir' was my thinking. so to have Eddie invite his Film Noir Foundation to see the film, at the beautiful Castro - and then do a Q & A after... pinch me.

i'm going to break out all my old Noir dvd's and refresh my memory! gotta be prepared for the Muller.

we'll be filming the q&a (in 3D!) and hopefully putting in on the long awaited American Blu Ray edition. so hey! anybody in the Bay Area free on Nov 18th, i hope i see you there!!

It a great idea and well deserved platform for your excellent film TJ. If your filming the Q & A would there be anyway to get it uploaded for the site for us poor UK fans?