Tim Bradstreet

Dark Country

You know you would think that the film being released by the DVD arm of Sony, they would have done a better job with the DVD.

You know you would think that the film being released by the DVD arm of Sony, they would have done a better job with the DVD.

I refuse to answer on the grounds that it may incriminate me ;)

- TB

Neato review of Dark Country here; possible minor plot spoilers:

"...Jane is impressively adept at conjuring an imaginary yet gritty world..."

http://newsblaze.com/story/20091011113416m...b/topstory.html

imaginary: in the hallucinogenic stance, the word might take on almost 'quaint' status. 'Imaginary' works in this text only as it refers to conjuring a picture of the world 'as it was' in the immediate past. only in this way could this world (in Dark Country) be 'imaginary.' a world remembered. hence the frequent shots of a large, rear-view mirror. Characters are frequently seen in it. The rear view mirror becomes in it's way, a 'mirror on the past.' each character has a strong connection with things they've done 'in the past.' 'Hind-sight!'

there's a great Noir Film called OUT OF THE PAST with ROBERT MITCHUM and KIRK DOUGLAS that is one of the greats of the genre.

Strangely enough, there's now another review of Dark Country by a different reviewer at the Jo Blo DVD Clinic:

http://www.joblo.com/dvdclinic/dvd_review.php?id=2524

Also, a blogger review of Dark Country, but major plot spoilers in review, so beware!:

"...it's actually kind of surreal. This look seems to work for a movie about weird things happening while driving through the desert at night."

http://kernunrex.blogspot.com/2009/10/6wh-october-19th.html

Jen

I'm sure this has been asked already but I havn't been on here for many months...Why wasn't the 3-D version released on dvd? I know the home theater 3-D isn't nearly as good as the movie theater 3-D but it still could have been a cool feature. I'm sure it has to do with time and money but I was just curious. Thanks.

I'm sure this has been asked already but I havn't been on here for many months...Why wasn't the 3-D version released on dvd? I know the home theater 3-D isn't nearly as good as the movie theater 3-D but it still could have been a cool feature. I'm sure it has to do with time and money but I was just curious. Thanks.

I think its the "don't do it unless you can do it well" theory. I actually haven't seen any of the new 3D movies on dvd, and was a little shocked to find out they were being sold with the red/blue glasses. No offense to 3D movies of the past, but I've found most movies to be nearly unwatchable with 'em the whole time.

Add that colours play a big role in the movie as well. We'd get a very different effect.

Good news though is that 3D is finally being taken seriously, and hopefully sooner rather than later the tech will just spike.

the old red/blue glasses have never really worked on a tv - unless you're six. the good news is that in about 18 months the first 3D BLURAY players will hit the market! already the new tv's are 3D capable. so hopefully we'll see a bluray directors cut of Dark Country - in 3D in the next couple years. T

Thanks for getting back to me Tom (good to see you on the boards) and for your take on it xNLx. Can't wait for those players to hit the market. Oh, and I never said what I thought about the movie. Great throw back to old school noir. It was always a genre I thought Tom was meant for. Now bring on Give 'Em Hell Malone already!

Tom did an interview with HBO where he talks about Dark Country; here's the link to the HBO blogspot:

http://hboblogproject.blogspot.com/2009/10...about-dark.html

Jen

PS I also posted the link in the Hung thread because Tom says some interesting stuff about that too...

Here's a a nifty, detailed review from Robert Fure at Film School Rejects of the Halloween screening of Dark Country on 3D:

" Dark Country goes miles down the road in proving that 3D is here and it isn’t a joke or a toy for a kid’s movie."

and

"Tom Jane has always been an effective actor, whether it’s in comedy or drama or Punishing, but lately it seems that his game is fully realized. Mainstream critics have come around to him and praise his performance in Hung, telling us what we already knew – the guy is good. In Country, he plays a more dramatic role and nails a wide variety of emotions. I feel like he turns in a fantastic performance here."

Much more at:

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/reviews/r...ry-3d-robfr.php

Jen

Just wondering when will be the release date of Dark Country in Australia?

Welcome to the gal from New South Wales!

I love hanging out in Circular Que - Fucking LOVE Sydney.

That's region 2 right?

Hmmm, we're still awaiting word but as I keep saying, there is always iTunes for those with no faith in Sony giving the Country it's day in court anywhere but North America.

Hey, did I tell you all that we've been making inroads at Criterion?

Ya never know ;)

- tb

Hey, did I tell you all that we've been making inroads at Criterion?

Ya never know ;)

- tb

Really? That's kinda cool.

Also, people can always check if their DVD players are hackable, and make them region free, that way you just import the DVD(s). That's what I did with Spaced, and then a year later the series was released in region 1.

I'm certainly not the technologically gifted one but I think it'd be downright cool if someone blessed our region 2 friends with a tutorial on how to hack their machines to be region free.

That's not against the law is it? ;)

Anyway, even a link to a tutorial would help.

Then we can just link the curious to the goods, step by step, baby.

- tb

Cool news on the Criterion, I hope all goes well. Hope they will go all out with the full on 3-D treament (which it is Criterion, they don't skimp) plus it would be nice to seem some Bradstreet art on the cover ;)

Hey, if Michael Bay has two Criterion DVD's, why not, right?

That's the way I look at it.

Criterion pressing is way outside the realm right now but like I said, there are possibilities.

The strength of making a case for a Criterion DC treatment is in the originality and rather avant-garde filmmaking techniques.

It's a very ambitious film for the budget and considering the current landscape of the industry. No one is making this kind of picture.

And let's face it, this film is visually unlike anything we've ever seen.

Not to compare it unfairly to classic cinema but DC is not totally unlike an ugly step-child of Easy Rider - Where a group of people who were sick and disgusted with the lack of originality so prevalent, got together and made something different, and did not compromise the overall vision. Criterion LOVES a daring filmmaker and film. Dark Country is THAT.

These things don't happen overnight. Time must pass in order to see how history and our own cult underground look back on this film.

Will it deserve to be recognized? Only time will tell. In the meantime we'll be here championing the twisted vision.

- tb

Do you think Thomas woud ever get a digital copy of the 3D version cut for screenings / festivals etc ...

I'm a member of the Stereoscopic Society in the UK and have some friends that are involved in Film Festivals, it would be so cool if it could get some small indie screenings at the very least ... seems such a shame to not see it in 3D ..

I'll keep tuned in to the forum and see what's happening.

Has anyone noticed a diffrence in screen image though? Region 1 uses the NTSC system and Region 2 is on PAL. I don't remember exactly the specifications, but it deals with the lines per frame, so on video the image would squew. I'm curious if the same goes for DVD since it's a digital format.

Has anyone noticed a diffrence in screen image though? Region 1 uses the NTSC system and Region 2 is on PAL. I don't remember exactly the specifications, but it deals with the lines per frame, so on video the image would squew. I'm curious if the same goes for DVD since it's a digital format.

When I got my R2 Spaced DVD, it played and looked fine to me.

There's a few R2 DVD's I want to get because the quality is better (Death Rides A Horse come to mind) but I haven't really got the funds to take the chance. Now I might have to. Thanks Mike.

Here's a review of Dark Country, possible plot spoilers:

"From the first scene to the end, I felt rapt with attention to these immersive characters and their odd relationship..."

http://cinematronica.wordpress.com/2009/12/22/dark-country/

Jen