Tim Bradstreet

Dark Country

What a mess. It's too bad Sony is really doing their best to fuck this thing over. It's been a long haul for everyone involved and a lot of blood, sweat and tears have been put into this. Excitment really grew when Tim started posting the Production Journal, giving us the inside scoop on the day to day workings, the 3-D pics that where posted ect...

Then there was the terrible poster and trailer V.O. You'd think with the film being all in 3-D plus the fact that Tom has a hit show and is starting to expand on fan base, that they would capitolize on this, but I guess not. I hate double dipping, but I will be buying this in October and I guess I'm going to have to by a Blu Rey now, because I'm sure a hell going to get it when it comes out in 3-D.

If Sony won't support you, I, and the board members still are. It's a damed shame Tom, but don't let 'em get your hopes down.

So we're doing a major cool new dedicated Dark Country website and let me tell you, it's going to be chock FULL of surprises.

Not your ordinary navigation either, more like a Lynchian journey of discovery.

We want to add all your DVD covers plus me and Allcock did some too. They will be actual size and downloadable so you can print them out and replace the banal design Sony slapped on the thing. As I said, they'll be available on the site but I'm gonna give you a little preview here cause I love you guys.

Obviously these are a lot smaller. Maybe Dave will post his too, it's MONDO fucking awesome.

Those of you who did designs. If you're exceptionally proud of yer shit then when you've perfected it, send it to me full size (DVD sleeve size) and we'll put those up for download too. We ain't fuckin' around. Here's your chance. Send it here - tim@timbradstreet.com

And now the DVD graphics previews -

This one is like a standard release only with a bitchin cool cover.

DarkCountryDVDsml.jpg

And just for kicks, here is my version of the fictional Dark Country Criterion Edition DVD. Dig.

DarkCountryCriterionsml.jpg

Can't wait for you all to experience the site. It's going to be a TRIPP.

- TB

That first cover is amazing Tim. Can't wait to see what Allcock has in store.

Everyone's DVD covers are a blast to look at. I'm looking forward to the site.

Quick questions, Tim.

What size did you need the cover at?

And what font did you use for the dvd specs?

Quick questions, Tim.

What size did you need the cover at?

And what font did you use for the dvd specs?

Just measure any 'ol DVD sleeve you have on hand.

I did mine at 10.75" wide X 7.2" tall (it's more like 7 and 3/16ths) - Spine is .5", or one half inch.

As for DVD specs, I just pirated the thing off of one of my other DVD's, scanned it and then dropped it in and recolored it.

But it's easy to build that stuff from scratch too, I was just saving myself a bit of time since I wasn't getting paid to make these things . . . NONE of us are.

This is just something to do for fun. I had one day to give this thing so yesterday was a long DVD design day.

I know some of you can attest, this shit takes a ton of time, especially when you're an anal and experimenting fucker like myself ;)

The technical specs and so forth are not so important in this equation though, Hell, we don't even know what 90% of them are ;)

Like running time, mine varies on each design. I think Tom said this was 88 minutes maybe a tad less, but these things are not so important to what we're trying to achieve. The Special features too, that stuff is just purely made up. Some of yours are even more accurate (stating that Tom, Tab, and Patrick Aiello are on the commentary), than mine, which notes Tom and Tab or simply Tom.

I was telling David that my favorite bit of copy I wrote was the special features bit on the first disc - "Interview with Film Noir Historian, Carnivale Nero."

These little things just makes me chuckle, it's not unlike the glee I worked constantly with while helping create my entries for Shock Festival, though I've reigned myself in a lot more for this. I also had fun writing original synoptical text for the Criterion Edition, which incidentally I LOVE. That one was much more pleasing from a graphic design standpoint. I'm actually a tad bummed no one is talking about that one ;) It's my favorite.

Anyway, there is still time to rock some designs, keep 'em coming.

And don't be daunted by the stuff anyone else is doing, we want you to contribute to help support the film.

Tom says (and he's paraphrasing Sean Penn . . .) "Art’s not a fuckin competition."

Art is your expression, so if it's stick figures, rough as hell, done with crayons, we don't care.

We just want to see you join in the fray.

- TB

As requested, here is David Allcock's Dark Country DVD sleeve design!

Dave, you want me to post your Criterion Edition as well?

Kick ass -

customdvdcover_DA_01sml.jpg

- TB

Here's a bigger look at the new style "A" poster -

And a look at the final version of my Saul Bass inspired Style "B" version.

Hope ya dig.

Dark Country "Spectre of the Road" - Style "A"

Bloodyface2alt1RF.jpg

Dark Country Style "B"

DarkCountryPremingerStyleB2F.jpg

- TB

PS - Posted Allcock's Criterion Sleeve in the Dark Country DVD challenge thread.

Just measure any 'ol DVD sleeve you have on hand.

I did mine at 10.75" wide X 7.2" tall (it's more like 7 and 3/16ths) - Spine is .5", or one half inch.

- TB

I think I got all that. Is there a specific pixel measurement, or shall I just resize it according to the inches?

I won't be worrying about the spec box then. Maybe just throw the Sony logo or something, but what I've shown is pretty much what I have to offer. Might try and do one more quickie, not like the Mr. Sparkle Edition, but another serious attempt. Criterion would be fun, with a shit ton of fake special features...

Wow, I didn't even pick up on that it was a separate poster on the Criterion. The only different thing I noticed was the bug graphic. I'm gonna say I do like the first one more, Perlman's photo seems to please the eye more, since they're all consistently in shadow.

As requested, here is David Allcock's Dark Country DVD sleeve design!

Dave, you want me to post your Criterion Edition as well?

thanks Tim. yeah please can you post the criterion one aswell.

Fixed that quote fer ya Dave. You really are forum challenged aren't you?

I think it's just that you're married now, which doesn't really have anything to do with anything 'cept it sounded good ;)

I posted your Criterion Edition in the DVD challenge thread.

Check it out folks!!

- TB

Fixed that quote fer ya Dave. You really are forum challenged aren't you?

I think it's just that you're married now, which doesn't really have anything to do with anything 'cept it sounded good ;)

I posted your Criterion Edition in the DVD challenge thread.

Check it out folks!!

- TB

oh dear, i'm not doing very well here am I. thanks for the assist TB. marriage - does funny things to your brain :)

Hey, you're not as bad as Jusko!!!

And he's not even married ;)

Shit man, when I started doing forums I was a complete moron, I make you look like Einstein!

It took me YEARS to figure out how to post pics and reply in quotes, just go look at some of my posts on the Helllbazer forum ;)

News: Tom screened Dark Country for friends and some studio people last night and it went off pretty damn well.

Farmer was there, Hosack was there, and they both were very complimentary despite the fact that they saw the same dark transfer with shoddy 3D that we screened a month ago.

Hoping someone can swing in and make a deal with Sony so that Tom can cut out the few minutes he wants and fix some other technical stuff.

Not sure that will effect the version being released on DVD in October but at lease it would give him the opportunity to put out a directors cut at some point.

TJ want's to do a definitive version on Blu-Ray.

We'll keep you posted.

- TB

A pretty postive review is up over at AICN by Vern.

I am Vern...

DARK COUNTRY, by rookie director Thomas Jane, is a stylized noir made on a low budget with a minimal cast. It was written by a guy who wrote Disney's TARZAN and HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME. It was shot in 3-D but is going straight to flat DVD. But somehow this weird combination of elements makes up a pretty good little movie, and possibly the best ever directed by one of the Punishers.

Admin note: Read Vern's review at your own risk - SPOILERS!

Apologies for the butt-in, Mike. - TB

I've been able to avoid spoilers for Dark Country, so a positive review is all I need.

Wait, did Dolph or Ray direct something?

I've been able to avoid spoilers for Dark Country, so a positive review is all I need.

Wait, did Dolph or Ray direct something?

Dolph has directed a few direct-to-DVD action movies.

Dolph has directed a few direct-to-DVD action movies.

Ah, I had thought he did but wasn't too sure. That's cool.

I'd say this is one of the first movies in a long while that I've actively not looked to spoil. Normally I don't care, but this go around I want something surprising.

The dedicated Dark Country website is alive . . . read on.

Alright fright fans, we at RAW always strive to give something extra, and since no one else was bothering to do something exciting and crazy to help promote Dark Country we thought we'd take it upon ourselves. Give Tom all the credit for taking point, hatching the concept, and making this happen.

The site was designed by Tom's sister Heather.

Heather is also responsible for all of Tom's official sites and our own RAW site and forums!!!

Thanks Heather!!!

Also of note is major contributions from DAVID ALLCOCK for LOADS of concept art, storyboards, and massive never-ending support above and beyond.

Most of the photography, some site design concept, some production designs, and large amounts of other craziness by yours truly.

Thanks also to Bernie Wrightson. Gregory Nicotero and Howard Berger, Sony, and YOU, THE FANS.

Your efforts will be seen on the site as well.

Right now the site is still a bit under construction but we're giving you all a sneak peek.

There is lots more to do and we're adding stuff all the time.

We will keep you updated to those additions right here so stay tuned.

The site is designed to be a journey of discovery, not unlike the the mysteries of the dark highway somewhere in the desert where you never know what might lay in wait for you behind the next turn. Let your mouse do the walking and scroll around the page to discover. Not all links are active yet and some of the ones that ARE active will continue to evolve.

What are you waiting for?

RAW Entertainment presents - DARK COUNTRY: The Official/Non-Offical Website

- TB and TJ

PS - If the site does not load all the way the first time, just hit 'refresh', that ought to do the trick.

Site's looking good. I did not know Bernie did concept scetches for Bloodyface. Cool stuff. Any word on the film score? Will it be available in any form? Looking forward to updates.

Site is shaping up really well! Going to be interesting exploring the completed version.

Wrightson's art is awesome, how did you guys manage to keep that a secret for so long?

Ha!

I'll bet if you go back to the early pages of this thread you'll find that we DID trumpet Wrightson's involvement ;)

Also if you check the Facebook fan page, Wrightson is listed in the credits as concept artist.

And we were ecstatic to have him onboard.

JWeb - Nothing in the plans yet. There is a weird history involving the score anyway and I'm not sure if Sony will be interested in doing anything with it. Best chance is to get interest from a third party like Silva Screen or Crescendo to release something. I'm sure Tom would love to do it but right now there are no plans. Obviously we'll keep folks updated on that and all things Dark Country right here. Patience. Someday it'll get a release, someday.

- TB