Guest AdminGuyX
"I can't even answer that. I just think that Jimmy is truly brilliant. I was going to talk about that earlier. He got an e-mail to me somehow, someway. He wasn't somebody we were even beginning to look at and I read the e-mail and was completely blown away by it. I had to meet the guy. I ended up meeting the guy and I think he's so far beyond most of us in his expertise and his filmic abilities. It was one of those things where I brought him to the studio and I said, 'I think this is the guy. I don't know why.' But I think he's a brilliant, brilliant filmmaker. I can't wait to see what he does. So I don't know how to answer your question, but I can't wait to see what he does."

OK, lemme get this right.

Hayward sends Brolin, a man he's never met, an EMAIL. One fucking email, and then they meet, and Brolin decides he's a brilliant filmmaker. THEN, Brolin brings him to the studio, and says "I this is the guy. I don't know why."

From an email, and a meeting?

I don't know why? The studio went with him after Brolin says to them "I don't know why." HUH?

Does that sound right? Was he misquoted? Am I misunderstanding the story?

What the fuck is Brolin's email address?

Lol, Noeland!! That doesn't sound right, does it? I like Brolin, but I'm still hoping for Thomas to get this one. I just think he's better suited for the role.

The Hex of the comics is harder and meaner to me, and Brolin just doesn't seem like he would fit the character. Not to say that TJ is hard or mean, but based on his past works, he has shown the versatility to fit himself into this kind of role, and based on the photos that he did, it just seems to me that he is Jonah Hex.

Mr. Jane is perfect for Hex...Brolin will suck.

Mr. Jane is perfect for Hex...Brolin will suck.

:lol: I totally agree, Irish. And another thing I don't like is the way they were talking about taking the script in a "zany" direction. WTH does that mean? The thing that makes the Hex comics stand out for me is the dark edginess of it, and the wry cyniism which barely masks a softer underbelly of the character. Are they going to try to turn it into a comedy or something? If that's the direction that they're planning on taking it, then I say let Brolin have it. But if they want to stay true to the character as it is written in the comics, then Thomas Jane is much more suited to the role.

Lol, Noeland!! That doesn't sound right, does it? I like Brolin, but I'm still hoping for Thomas to get this one. I just think he's better suited for the role.

The Hex of the comics is harder and meaner to me, and Brolin just doesn't seem like he would fit the character. Not to say that TJ is hard or mean, but based on his past works, he has shown the versatility to fit himself into this kind of role, and based on the photos that he did, it just seems to me that he is Jonah Hex.

I don't know Brolin when he rocks the stashe is a bad motherfucker, even though Hex doesn't have one, I'm just sayin'.

I don't know Brolin when he rocks the stashe is a bad motherfucker, even though Hex doesn't have one, I'm just sayin'.

I think Brolin does creepy, sleazey, very damned well...he just hasn't sold me on bad ass.

Ugh... zany...

Does anyone else get the Ghost Rider movie vibe when they see the word 'zany' in referrence to the Jonah Hex movie. This could end very poorly, especially since focusing on 'zany' can easily end up leading to 'goofy'.

Batman, Ghost Rider, the Punisher, Jonah Hex, and several character like them all have a dark and sometimes disturbing underlying story that it seems some filmmakers just want to ignore in favor of the bizarre and somewhat surreal nature of the artwork of the comics.

The problem with that is the dark story (or just the story period) is what makes that characters who they are just as much as the drawings. If you just focus on the pretty pictures you're missing half of the character.

To me both Schumacher Batman films, Ghost Rider, and The Punisher: Warzone all focused too much on bizarre and surreal elements of the comics and let the harsh story of the characters fall to the wayside. In some cases like Batman and the Punisher the bizarre and surreal looks great in the comics but just ends up looking stupid in live action.

With characters like Ghost Rider and Jonah Hex the bizarre and surreal are important parts but if handled poorly with too much focus on the zanyness it just ends up looking goofy and comes across as some dumb joke of a film.

Ghost Rider has already been messed up that way on screen.

I really really really hope that doesn't happen with Jonah Hex... he's one of only a small handful of DC comic characters that I actually like.

Keeping my fingers crossed on this one (not that it will help much).

Look the one thing you have to understand with all of this is that the perfect guy may not be one that can bring in the money. The issue of creative compromise. I say this from personal experience as we are going through the motions of this right now on ABWFY. The list is very short.

Andrew

Guest AdminGuyX
Look the one thing you have to understand with all of this is that the perfect guy may not be one that can bring in the money. The issue of creative compromise. I say this from personal experience as we are going through the motions of this right now on ABWFY. The list is very short.

Andrew

Sorry to read that you are having that issue. It's understandable, but it's also bullshit that it happens, y'know? The perfect actor can bring a film, like say "The Wrestler" to that moment of actor/material greatness that a name brand marquee "sure thing" may not be able to phone in for a paycheck.

Not saying that's going to happen with ABMFY, but any time "creative compromise" happens, hell, it's a compromise in a bad way.

I doubt that anyone but us on this board sees Josh Brolin as a creative compromise for Hex though.

John Malkovitch has signed on to play the villian.

More info:

Jimmy Hayward has found a villain for his adaptation of the DC Comics series Jonah Hex - John Malkovich will star alongside of Josh Brolin in the movie, which starts shooting in April. Malkovich will play Turnbull, a wealthy Southern plantation owner whose son is killed by Union soldiers during the Civil War. He blames Hex, a former confederate soldier-turned-hardened bounty hunter and gunslinger. Hayward, who has only previously directed the animated Horton Hears a Who, is apparently still directing the same script that Crank duo Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor wrote before they left the project.

It's very interesting seeing Malkovich join this, as I guess I wouldn't normally expect him to take on a role like this, but he's played everything before, so why not? As this project has developed over the years, I've come to grow quite fond of it, even without Neveldine and Taylor directing anymore. I'm excited to see the western and comic book genres merge and thankfully Hayward has rounded up one hell of a great cast so far. Brolin and Malkovich alone are enough to convince me that this will be great, no matter who else eventually joins as well. Let's just hope it's still as R rated as we originally speculated it would be.

Source: http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/02/11/joh...onah-hex-movie/

John Malkovich will square off against Josh Brolin in "Jonah Hex," the Warner Bros. adaptation of the DC Comics property that begins production in April.

Legendary Pictures has joined the project as co-financier and co-producer.

Malkovich will play Turnbull, a wealthy Southern plantation owner whose son is killed by Union soldiers during the Civil War. He blames Hex, a former confederate soldier-turned-hardened bounty hunter and gunslinger. Jimmy Hayward ("Horton Hears a Who") is directing the script by "Crank" scribes Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor. Mad Chance's Andrew Lazar is producing with Weed Road's Akiva Goldsman.

Malkovich, most recently seen in "Burn After Reading" and "Changeling," is currently presiding over the Mexico opening of "The Good Canary," a Zack Helm-penned play that Malkovich directed. The play, which bowed in France, was translated into Spanish, and Diego Luna is starring in the feature.

Source: http://www.variety.com/article/VR111800002...yid=13&cs=1

this is smelling stinkier and stinkier as time passes...now we get a stinky Malkovich southern drall...(sigh) Mr. Hex, what on earth are they doing to you?...at this point I can honestly say that I won't be in the viewing audience. Not a Brolin fan and I have not been a fan of Malkovich for a while now...That crank team will turn out a stunningly stinky script as well...so I'll see it on cable.

We just got in another BD EXCLUSIVE...this time for the movie adaptation of the comic, Jonah Hex. It's already looking pretty good with Jimmy Hayward Directing and Josh Brolin as Jonah Hex, with Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor writing.

Shooting begins in April/Early May in New Orleans and Georgia. Hit the break for the casting breakdown...

Hex, known for having the right side of his face disfigured and wearing a Confederate army uniform, was a rough-and-tumble gunslinger and part-time bounty hunter whose adventures always ended in blood.

"Hex" first appeared in the early 1970s in the issues of "All-Star Western" before graduating to his own series in 1977 that ran for about 10 years. A new series was launched in 2005. The character also had a run in the 1990s that combined the Western genre with supernatural elements.

Casting Breakdown

[bURKE] Turnbull’s thug, early 30’s, probably Irish, British or European, hard bitten, tattoos, very dangerous.

[LIEUTENANT GRASS] Late 30’s, early 40’s, Caucasian, Union Soldier who enlists Hex to kill Turnbull. While not inherently comic, LT. Grass is blindsided by the dirty fighting style of his enemies. More interested in exploring new means of warfare than really understanding his enemy.

[2ND LIEUTENTANT EVEN] Late 20’s, early 30’s, Caucasian. Young, laid back, lanky Union soldier, Grass’ 2nd in command. Even has respect for Hex, perhaps even wishes he had the courage to do what Hex does.

[COLONEL SLOCUM] 50’s. Possibly obese, bearded confederate Officer. Frequents the tent for cockfights and dogfights. Rough and edgy.

[DOC CROSS WILLIAMS] 40-60 years old. Ringleader of the tent. Short, squat, white- haired, pointy ears…off-kilter. (SMALL ROLE IN FIRST FILM, BUT MAJOR CHARACTER IN SEQUELS.)

Source: http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/comics/56

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) – "Transformers" hottie Megan Fox is taking her career to Western and underwater frontiers.

Fox is in final negotiations to join Josh Brolin and John Malkovich in "Jonah Hex," Warner Bros.' action Western based on the DC Comics character. She also is attached to star in and develop "Fathom," Fox Atomic's comic book-based underwater adventure.

In "Hex," Fox will play Leila, a gun-wielding beauty and love interest of Hex (Brolin), a scarred bounty hunter tracking a voodoo practitioner (Malkovich) who wants to raise an army of undead to liberate the South. The movie is preparing for a shoot in April, with Jimmy Hayward directing.

Continue reading: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090304/film_n...PeWNgENl_wwFxkF

Will Arnett and Oscar nominee Michael Shannon will star in Jonah Hex, Warner Bros. and Legendary's action Western based on the DC Comics character, says The Hollywood Reporter.

Jimmy Hayward is directing the film, whose cast also includes Josh Brolin, John Malkovich and Megan Fox. It's the story of Hex (Brolin), a scarred bounty hunter tracking a voodoo practitioner (Malkovich) who wants to raise an army of the undead to liberate the South.

Arnett will play a Union soldier who enlists Hex and is blindsided by the dirty fighting style of his enemies. The role is not inherently comic.

Shannon plays Doc Cross Williams, the bizarre ringleader of a brutal gladiator circus event. The character might appear in sequels.

Legendary is co-producing and co-financing the pic, which is due to start production this month in Louisiana.

Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=54132

Arnett is kind of a wierd casting- choice... But, the whole movie has a wierd cast :P

Looking forward seeing it.

Scooper 'Chris' sent in some casting info for Warner Bros. Pictures' Jonah Hex, the Jimmy Hayward-directed comic book adaptation starring Josh Brolin, John Malkovich, Megan Fox, Will Arnett and Michael Shannon:

Just wanted to let you know that Jonah Hex is filming in Southern Louisiana. They are having a casting call this week, saw the ad on craigslist. Here is what it said:

TALAZAC CASTING is NOW CASTING the FEATURE FILM "JONAH HEX" Starring - Josh Brolin, Megan Fox and John Malkovich

This is a Period (1800'S) Action, Drama, Thriller, Western in Need of Extras.

Seeking to CAST...

UNIQUE FEATURES,

AMPUTEES,

ROUGH, TOUGH LOOKING MEN and WOMEN.

CARNEY TYPES also being Cast.

All Shapes and Sizes, All looks considered.

PLEASE SUBMIT A CANDID, GOOD QUALITY, FACE FRONT PHOTO to JONAHHEX.EXTRAS@GMAIL.COM

Also Needing to CAST...

TRUE NATIVE AMERICAN MALES,

CREOLE MEN and WOMEN,

ASIAN MEN and WOMEN, and

MUSICIANS who play instruments indigenous to the 19th Century...

Fifes, Whistles, Rope Tension Drums, Bugles, Harmonicas, Jaw Harps, Bones

Period Keyboard Instruments: Clavichords, Harpsichords, Spinets, Virginal

Non-Reproduction Instruments: Banjos, Cello, Concertina, Guitars, Mandolin, Violin, Viola

All Shapes and Sizes, All looks considered.

PLEASE SUBMIT A CANDID, GOOD QUALITY, FACE FRONT PHOTO to JONAHHEX.EXTRAS@GMAIL.COM

This Is A Paid Job.

Here is the other AD:

TALAZAC CASTING is NOW CASTING the FEATURE FILM "JONAH HEX" Starring - Josh Brolin, Megan Fox and John Malkovich

This is an Action, Drama, Thriller, Western in Need of Extras.

CASTING CALL THURSDAY- APRIL 9, 2009 in ST. FRANCISVILLE, LOUISIANA

CASTING - Men, Women and Children to work as background extras for the Feature Film "Jonah Hex"

Filming in St. Francisville & Surrounding areas.

This is a paid job.

Casting Call -

When: Thursday, April 9th, 2009

Where: Quality Inn

7059 US Hwy 61 N

St. Francisville, LA 70775

Time: 3:00PM - 7:00PM

-ALL TYPES NEEDED TO REGISTER

-CASTING REPRESENTATIVES WILL TAKE YOUR PICTURE

-YOU MUST BE ABLE TO WORK DURING THE WORK WEEK

-ALL AGES ACCEPTED

-BRING A PEN TO FILL OUT CASTING FORM

Contact Info:

Jonahhex.extras@gmail.com

In related news, IDontLikeYouinThatWay.com has posted photos of Megan Fox on the set of the film, which you can check out by clicking on her below.

megan_fox.jpg

Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=54250

ComingSoon.net/Superhero Hype! has received new photos of Megan Fox wearing two different costumes on the set of Warner Bros. Pictures' comic book adaptation Jonah Hex. Opening August 6, 2010, the Jimmy Hayward-directed action-adventure co-stars Josh Brolin, John Malkovich, Will Arnett and Michael Shannon. Hex, known for having the right side of his face disfigured and wearing a Confederate army uniform, was a rough-and-tumble gunslinger and part-time bounty hunter whose adventures always ended in blood.

Click here for the pics

This topic can be removed from thomas jane area^^

He won't be Jonah Hex.

So it's not the right place for it.

PS Just a costructive idea:)

Insane pics of Megan Fox! Either the corset really does the job in squishing her mid or she's a real live barbie doll.

Too bad TJ's not in it.

Wow, I gotta say, she's one hot chick in that outfit! ;)

Yeah, too bad Thomas is not in this one! That would have been so cool.