[Edited version; full story link at bottom -- I just grabbed the Jonah Hex stuff]

Reflections: Justin Gray

In this in-depth interview, Justin Gray talks to CBR about the upcoming Power Girl ongoing, the Terra miniseries, and clues us in as to what’s coming up for Jonah Hex.

hex1.jpg

Moving on to “Jonah Hex,” what’s coming up for Hex?

Turnbull.

How’d you get Darwyn Cooke and J.H. Williams onboard? For that matter, how do you get all the amazing guest artists to contribute to your book?

Good stories that don’t involve drawing superheroes? I think that is a big part of it—and a love of the character.

hex2.jpg

Did you ever think "Jonah Hex" would have lasted three years and still been going strong when it first hit stands?

Hell no. I thought we’d be lucky to hit 12 issues, so we wrote the best we could and when it hit 24 we worked harder and now that it has passed 36—yes, we’re going to work harder to keep it going. Fortunately there’s a movie in the works and that helps us.

hex4.jpg

Why do you think the book has remained so fresh and such a critical hit all this time?

Everyone involved at every level is dedicated to putting out the best book possible, editors, artists, colorists, letterer—there isn’t anyone that we’ve worked with that wasn’t passionate about each issue of Jonah Hex. That enthusiasm shows in each issue. There is also an accessibility in the one and done format, there are very talented artists and “Hex” stands alone outside of continuity. Writing “Jonah Hex” is an exercise in creative freedom and an example of what kind of work Jimmy and I do when we’re left to our own devices.

Looking back, what has been your favorite “Jonah Hex” story so far?

My favorite is always the one I’m working on at the time. Once the story is out there I tend not to dwell on it. The funny thing is that the issues I personally like are never the ones that people connect with as much as others.

How long do you guys plan on sticking with the book?

Until they pry it from our cold dead hands.

hex3.jpg

What other artists would you love to lure in for an issue or two?

That’s a huge list and we’re working on it. I don’t want to bore people by throwing a bunch of names out. I am very happy and blessed to have worked with amazing artists over the last three years. When you look at the talent, at least when I do, I’m astounded at the people I never imagined I’d work with.

What other comics are you itching to get your fingers on, both with Palmiotti and scripting solo?

My own. I’ve been under contract for the last two wonderful years, but I’d like to get back to developing original ideas.

Lightning round time! What is your biggest strength as a writer?

Bourbon.

Biggest weakness?

There are several, but I’m working on them. I could be more outgoing because a lot of times that seems to be more useful than the writing.

If you could only write one comic for the rest of your career, what would it be?

I haven’t written it yet. I don’t think of writing one thing, I think of writing lots of things like film, TV, Video Games. I think interactive media is the future.

Who would be drawing it?

I don’t know. Someone really awesome I guess.

Favorite comic book movie of all time?

I hope it will be “Jonah Hex.”

hex36.jpg

Full article:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=18517

Josh Brolin, who is rumored to play the title role in the film version of Jonah Hex, told a group of reporters that he is having a hard time deciding whether to take the part. Directors Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor are directing the DC/Vertigo comics adaptation.

"I think Jonah Hex is a really, really interesting story," Brolin said in a group interview on Nov. 8 in Beverly Hills, Calif., where he was promoting the film Milk. "I think it would be risky also, which I like. I don't know. I don't know if it's the thing to do."

Continue reading:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?c...=3&id=62010

I think this is quite clearly a case of Brolin liking the notion of Hex but not liking the notion of being directed by a couple of MTV music video directors who are all about zoomy camera angles rather than character.

After working with the Coen's and Stone - Tony Scott would be the next logical step rather than the guys that did Crank.

regards

Andrew

Good news indeed. I know a few people will be upset, but I just can not see their style fitting with Jonah Hex... at all.

I second your notion Noeland.

Guest AdminGuyX
According to Brolin, it’s the zaniness of the story that attracts him to the project.

NO. NO. NO.

I sure as hell don't want a "zany" hex movie.

fuck that.

I'd rather just scrap the thing if this is the case.

Guest AdminGuyX

Brolin says he thought the script was awful, and then said maybe that's what he should do next, the WORST script he could find.

Heart sinking now.

Brolin says he thought the script was awful, and then said maybe that's what he should do next, the WORST script he could find.

Heart sinking now.

I thought he'd already done his bad script with PLANET TERROR, which kindof disproves his theory on making something so bad it's good. So easy to miss the mark.

I think Brolin is playing games and toying with the project.

regards

Andrew

Good news indeed. I know a few people will be upset, but I just can not see their style fitting with Jonah Hex... at all.

I second your notion Noeland.

THIRD!

I'm courious why the script is "zany". Is it really that far out, or is it just that Brolin has never read a Hex book and did not know what to expect? Coming from the writers of Crank, one can only imagin. I hope to hell they don't fuck the character over. The western is surely but slowly coming back, the last thing we need a big step back.

hex36.jpg

This fucking cover is fucking BADASS.

I wanna slit my wrists (figuratively) cause I can't identify the artist.

Anyone?

I LOVE it.

I must OWN it ;)

- TB

This fucking cover is fucking BADASS.

I wanna slit my wrists (figuratively) cause I can't identify the artist.

Anyone?

I LOVE it.

I must OWN it ;)

- TB

Here you go: Rafael Garres, GarresHexCover ... also a cool Jonah Hex gallery: HexCovers

the script by N & T was incredibly 'zany.' not the Jonah Hex vibe from the books. hopefully that's changing now that a new director is coming on.

all we need is a zany spaghetti comedy about a guy with a disfigured face.

How hard is it to say.. "You know what this movie needs... Thomas Jane"

...Cause, I think it all the time.

They've been trying since 1997 to bring Jonah Hex to the big screen. There have been a number of drafts and proposed creative packages. The premise is fresh but needs the supportive creative package to pull together. My thoughts are it'd make for a cool animated series.

Background on Jonah Hex development

Andrew

They've been trying since 1997 to bring Jonah Hex to the big screen. There have been a number of drafts and proposed creative packages. The premise is fresh but needs the supportive creative package to pull together. My thoughts are it'd make for a cool animated series.

Background on Jonah Hex development

Andrew

You would be correct sir.

This is the only thing I could find on the original episode.

And his appearance in Justice League: Unlimited.

The problem with the animation is the facial character design and that gawky eye just don't have the neccessary subtly for Hex. He reminds me of that mutated fish off The Simpsons.

If he was done in the same style as the animated series of Spawn then we would be talking.

Andrew