Let's continue any Will Smith/Captain America conversation over in the The Official Captain America movie thread.

Thanks - TB

Sorry about that Tim...saw an opportunity to make a funny...

Not at all Fred, derailment is a standard occurrence, just attempting to minimize it ;)

- TB

I do, I am ecstatic that he didn't do GI Joe for the paycheck, no matter how much you think that Jane in the role of Duke would have made that a better film.

You should know that a lot more than just the script was factored into the decision.

As for Watchmen, first of all, Tom did not have an offer on the table. He was one of a small list of guys who Zack was interested in. When Dark Country was greenlit it took Tom out of the running for obvious reasons. I don't know how you can hold that against him. As a fan I empathize with any disappointment there. But to believe he had the role in his hands and refused is off-base.

- tb

One paycheck gig leads to another and another and pretty soon he's pulling an Affleck or a Christopher Walken.

I applaud any actor for not taking parts that they aren't going to be all in on.

I do, I am ecstatic that he didn't do GI Joe for the paycheck, no matter how much you think that Jane in the role of Duke would have made that a better film.

You should know that a lot more than just the script was factored into the decision.

As for Watchmen, first of all, Tom did not have an offer on the table. He was one of a small list of guys who Zack was interested in. When Dark Country was greenlit it took Tom out of the running for obvious reasons. I don't know how you can hold that against him. As a fan I empathize with any disappointment there. But to believe he had the role in his hands and refused is off-base.

- tb

Ok, so Watchmen was out of the question, Fair enough.

But what "factors" would make him turn down a potential 2009 Summer blockbuster???

His last Summer blockbuster was...Never.

-TL

Well, as an actor (or anyone) you have to ask yourself which is more important, visibility in a high profile film you don't believe in or staking your passion in something you do believe in. Turning down a paycheck in a high profile film doesn't necessarily put the skids on a career, rather, it more often has the tendency to preserve your career if your goal is to reach for something more than just dough. Plenty of actors have taken the check and continued to do artistic and worthwhile projects, but there is a risk involved. And of course your own standards as an artist come into play. These decisions are rarely arbitrary.

- tb

Well, as an actor (or anyone) you have to ask yourself which is more important, visibility in a high profile film you don't believe in or staking your passion in something you do believe in. Turning down a paycheck in a high profile film doesn't necessarily put the skids on a career, rather, it more often has the tendency to preserve your career if your goal is to reach for something more than just dough. Plenty of actors have taken the check and continued to do artistic and worthwhile projects, but there is a risk involved. And of course your own standards as an artist come into play. These decisions are rarely arbitrary.

- tb

Street, the one thing I wanna see is my boy Jane make his mark.

A mark BIGGER than that of The Punisher.

But you know that if he continues to be a virtual unknown to the uneducated public that lives to watch popcorn movies like G.I. JOE, he's not going anywhere.

This isn't a case of pride or self respect, for that we have the Military.

This is Hollywood. This is a business.

I'm sure Jane knows all this, so it shocks me that he's not on some 80 ft billboard in Santa Monica right now holding an M-16.

-TL

One lash-back I can see of doing a film for money, other than the fact that the film might be shit to start, is the fact that even if it banks, people will still assosiate an unknown with "that shit film that somehow made bank". Nic Cage has the safty net of having been astablished long enough he can do whatever he wants with little risk. Bad reviews are nothing compared to the leverage Cage has in Hollywood. Jane runs the risk of getting red flagged by the stuidos if the film tanks, and by fans if the films sucks. If Ed Norton's Hulk would have tanked, I don't think that too many people would not go see his next film based on that, but look at what happed to Eric Bana. Other than Munich, I can't remember the last time I've seen the guy.

Well Bana's got Star Trek next year and two more movies I really wanna see The Time Traveler's Wifeand Funny People.

Bana is wayyyy more popular than Jane.

And compared to Cage, Bana isn't popular at all!!!

Jane needs a vehicle.

Something that will actually see the light of day.

Something that regular people can see him in and remember his name by.

Clint Eastwood didn't wanna do Where Eagles Dare and Kelly's Heroes, but he did them cause he needed people in America to recognize him.

War films were the latest craze and he did what he had to do.

What ever happened to that Eastwood guy...

-TL

What ever happened to that Eastwood guy...

-TL

Changeling hits at the end of the month, but he's only directing this one. You'll have to wait for Gran Torino. Gran Torino pissed me off though. Originally, it was supposed to be filmed near where I live in Minnesota, but Michagan offered a greater monitary incentive to film there instead. I was really looking forward to seeing Clint in action. As long as the film is good, I'll let Eastwood off the hook, this time ;)

He started directing movies and then movies that weren't so good.

SAY WHAT???

Play Misty For Me = Good.

High Plains Drifter = Fantastic.

Breezy = Not bad.

The Eiger Sanction = Good.

The Outlaw Josey Wales = Spectacular.

The Gauntlet = Awesome.

Bronco Billy = Great.

Honkytonk Man = Very good.

Firefox = Alright.

Sudden Impact = Good.

Pale Rider = Iconic.

Heartbreak Ridge = Fuckin awesome.

Bird = Good, coulda been better.

The Rookie = Good.

White Hunter, Black Heart = Great.

UNFORGIVEN = AMAZING. *Best Picture 1992

A Perfect World = Amazing.

The Bridges of Madison County = Excellent.

Midnight In The Garden of Good and Evil = Good.

Absolute Power = Awesome.

True Crime = Great.

Space Cowboys = Good.

Blood Work = Not bad, not great either.

Mystic River = Spectacular.

Million Dollar Baby = AMAZING. *Best Picture 2004

Flags of Our Fathers = Great.

Letters From Iwo Jima = Great.

-TL

I probably should have said he started directing good movies and then movies that weren't so good.

His most recent output, to me at least hasn't all that great.

I probably should have said he started directing good movies and then movies that weren't so good.

His most recent output, to me at least hasn't all that great.

You're gonna have to be more specific.

-TL

I didn't care for; Space Cowboys, Bloodwork, Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby was good. I didn't really like Flags of Our Fathers, Letters from Iwo Jima was alright, but the whole look, that desaturated look (if that's the right word) of the films had became played out already.

Guest FADoss

Mike, I've talked about how I didn't like "Cool Hand Luke" but can still see it as a good film...same for "There Will Be Blood". Don't confuse personal likes for what makes a film good.

Fred

And I don't even have anti-fans yet.

We could start an anti fan Thread for you if you like :P

Guest FADoss
We could start an anti fan Thread for you if you like :P

Please do, if it gets me a career parallel with Tom Jane's seemingly minuscule career (to hear others talk) then I want ALL you fuckers to hate me. :)

Fred

well i'm hoping he kicks it in the pants and we get a great Hex film. love that character...

I love Hex and I'll see this movie...but they fucked up. Brolin is not right for Hex at all. It's like Tony Curtis in THE VIKINGS, mercenary work. Hire the hot actor instead of the right actor. I am losing hope for this film...yeeesh.