Guest AdminGuyX
Yeah, that does seem like something Rodriguez would do. But everything else seemed fine, and really the JH turning into the Jonah Hex title? Come on.

Initializing titles for movies has been a slick gimmick for years now, and a trend I have always hated. It doesn't have a basis in story or character and I don't even find it a good marketing tool. Not like that's been a secret I've kept to myself until now Mike. How often have any of us said "Damn, PMM 3 is out! I can't wait to see HVB!! Man, look at SVTY! AWESOME!" I'm so happy I don't have to say the whole title anymore!

I think it literally diminishes a movie title. There can be a lot of power and presence in a good title. In this case, JONAH HEX is fucking cool. JH is stupid, and annoying. You know damn well JH2 will be the title of the sequel.

ACK. How about that as a title? ;)

Look, if you want to take me to task for an honest reaction, that's OK. I've done it plenty of times. But it's how I feel, and I'm just sharing it. If I see the trailer and two gatling guns on a horse work for me I will take it all back, but I can already tell you that two gatling guns on a horse do not work for me. I'm repelled by the notion of it. It's the same reason I'll never watch that fucked up japanese western with Tarantino. It's not what I like.

I read that description as if a buddy was explaining it to me in conversation. It has that tone. I decided as soon as I saw the poster, and banner, that the futuristic copy was not a direction I liked. As you have noted, I have a healthy dose of HATE for it. The poster reminds me of the first hellboy poster, but it's not as good, no where near as effective.

And we've talked many times on these boards about how impactful and important posters/ad copy/design is for a film, and how it effects our overall enjoyment of a project, especially if it's our first glimpse of an adaptation of a beloved work. I have been reading Jonah Hex comics my whole life. One of the first comics I ever read was Jonah Hex.

The scar is a running thing in the movie because the people involved in this are about as creative as toenail clippings.

This in itself, MikeV, is enough to turn me off the film. For personal reasons. I get that the scars on his face are integral to the Jonah Hex character. I'm just not interested in sitting through 90+ minutes of scar jokes.

I'm not worried about the financial success of the movie, though. I'm sure the prospect of being able to get a look at Megan Fox's butt will draw half of the men on earth to the cinema, no matter what the dialogue is like.

And we've talked many times on these boards about how impactful and important posters/ad copy/design is for a film, and how it effects our overall enjoyment of a project, especially if it's our first glimpse of an adaptation of a beloved work. I have been reading Jonah Hex comics my whole life. One of the first comics I ever read was Jonah Hex.

I've always like the idea of having the ComiCon posters being drawn by the comic's artists. In the last few years I've seen this and liked the trend. It keeps us, the fanBASE, in the loop rather than "screw 'em, we want to target everyone". I was sad to see that there was not Hex "comic art" poster. Granted the cover artist changes every month, but look at the talent behind all those covers.

One of the cooler poster from this year that I've seen the the poster for The Losers done by Scalped's own Jock. Better than any photoshop work they could have done.

Yeah, that does seem like something Rodriguez would do. But everything else seemed fine, and really the JH turning into the Jonah Hex title? Come on.

Rodriguez did an amazing job on Sin City. No movie has ever more closely adhered to source material.

Sorry man. My response has almost nothing to do with your last post about the comic con footage. I have been totally hating this film since information first started coming out about it. Go back and read my old posts and you'll see that there is very little of the information for this movie that I like.

I said that as a HEX fan. I have been reading this title since Hex first appeared in All Star Western #10 in 1972 until they totally ASSIFIED him with that aweful Mad Max wannabe shit of the mid 80's. I didn't start reading him again until he turned up a few years ago minus all the mad max bullshit and a bit truer to the original.

I love this character and have every right to be pissed that they are totally bugger'n him up AGAIN! Time and Time again on these forums I have stated that my opinion is "If you can't make it better than leave it alone." This is not improving Hex. Just as Warzone did not improve Castle. :angry: I, to date have hated, and continue to hate the direction they are taking one of my most beloved comic book characters EVER :angry: . Expect passionate posts from me on this subject. I love Hex and I hate what I see being done to him. Period.

The gatlin guns on the horse thing is just beyond comment.

OK, everyone's had their say . . .

Obviously we're passionate about this character and how he's portrayed . . .

I can see how Mike (who is excited by what he sees) is disappointed by the hate most of us are tossing the film's way.

The Western itself and Jonah Hex in particular are somewhat sacred to a lot of us.

As the folks are saying, expect some impassioned responses to all things Hex for that very reason.

It's all cool Mike V, no one is begrudging you if you dig.

Maybe as it goes a few of us will lighten up.

Maybe some of us will even change our minds.

At the end of the day it's the film that counts.

It also occurred to me that the scar could be digitally enhanced in post and therefore may look a lot more gruesome and wicked in the final film.

I'd like that. I'd especially like it if they gave him the EYE treatment. But I've been there in post. Enhancing that element throughout the entire film for every frame Jonah is in can get real expensive. Maybe they got the dough, who knows.

- TB

I don't see that at all, it seems like it'll be more action oriented rather than a straight up western, it's too bad but I don't see it going Wild Wild West territory.

Tim, I honestly think the scar looks the way it does because of the low quality of the photos.

I can tell what's there, and I don't really have an issue with the scars at all.

I was just saying earlier that the poster has definitely enhanced that.

It's all part of the retouch, that's what I woulda done too.

Not sure if they are going to add the fucked up bug eye in post or they're just steering clear.

Having the eye would be AWESOME. Some might argue that it would make him too gruesome to look at.

Or that it takes away from 'ol Joshy Pooh's manly good looks.

Whatever the excuse, if they go without it I say Balderfucking DASH.

He's supposed to be gruesome, disfigured, tortured by injuns.

The face is the dichotomy. It tells a story. The fun I could have playing with that aspect on film from a character perspective!

Course if it were me I'd be taking this material on a completely different path.

Allegory, myths, Horse opera . . . And the meanest sumbitch you'd ever want to run into.

How do you get that movie made?

Take a fucking risk, which is why I mentioned Paul Thomas Anderson earlier.

He could actually get the $ to take a risk.

Imagine a Hex film, a comic book based film, that looked like There Will Be Blood but with the action of The Outlaw Josey Wales. I cry.

Hex aside, nobody ever made anything worth a damn without taking a risk.

And by worth a damn, I mean standing the test of time.

That's why you won't find films like Crank and Armageddon on the AFI top 100 films list.

Sure they're fun, but it's like a candy bar. I want to be on a Hex morphine drip ;)

- tb

Actually, look wise it apparently looks quite big considering how small the budget was.

And then this description of the make-up:

But the whole thing looked good. Not mind-blowing, mind you, but solid and Brolin’s make-up is pretty rad. Some of the snuck pics of his make-up didn’t really show off just how close his scarred face looks like the Hex on the comic covers. They definitely didn’t tone it down. There are scenes of Hex talking and the one strip of skin connecting his lower and upper lip on that side of his face just stretches and relaxes over and over again. Pretty sweet.

I'm pretty sure it will look good and there will be plenty of action (Josh Brolin will kick some ass and deliver some one-liners) and sex (there has to be reason to cast Megan Fox). But I'm concerned about the story, 'cause that's what should be the most important thing...

I'm pretty sure it will look good and there will be plenty of action (Josh Brolin will kick some ass and deliver some one-liners) and sex (there has to be reason to cast Megan Fox). But I'm concerned about the story, 'cause that's what should be the most important thing...

See, that's where I'm not sure. All the other factors combined in this that are not looking so hot, I can kind of overlook, but "From the writers of Crank and Crank 2", I'm not so sure about story here. I'm still waiting to see more, but I did that with some other film that was talked about endlessly...

in the comics Hex had several on and off relationships with hookers/saloon girls. So Fox is probably covering that base for the writers. He had one relationship in particular where he helped the saloon girl get revenge on some men for evil deeds that escape me at the moment. She may even play that role...cept that is probably to in depth for these writers. Story wise I am expecting nothing...less than nothing...Crank, on a horse...chasing a speeding train...with gatlin guns...yippee ki-ay motherfucker!

See, that's where I'm not sure. All the other factors combined in this that are not looking so hot, I can kind of overlook, but "From the writers of Crank and Crank 2", I'm not so sure about story here. I'm still waiting to see more, but I did that with some other film that was talked about endlessly...

Crank and Crank2 had writers? I'd always assumed the script had been transcribed from the random sampling of noodles in a can of Chef BoyRDee Alphabet Soup!

Yes I can understand a playful nature in the rendering of this, but I'm in agreement with Tim that it had the potential to be so much more than a cookie cutter comic book adventure. They want it as a live action cartoon - commentary regarding the script ran in that direction.

That is why I'm drawing similarities to Wild Wild West.

Though from the development cycle it is clear that they want to delineate from any perception that this is actually a western.

fantasy Jonah Hex production

Written by Phillip Kaufman and David Webb Peoples

Directed by Walter Hill

Produced by David Valdes

Cinematography by Robert Elswit

Film editing by Alex Rodríguez

Original Music by Jonny Greenwood

Cast

Jonah Hex - Tom Jane

Leila - Debra Kara Unger

Turnbull - Jared Harris

Doc Cross Williams - Pete Postlethwaite

Burke - Mark Strong

- tb

Directed by Walter Hill

Produced by David Valdes

Cast

Jonah Hex - Tom Jane

Leila - Debra Kara Unger

Turnbull - Jared Harris

Burke - Mark Strong

- tb

Haha I love that cast. Great suggestions all round.

Honestly, I'm ready to change the 'written by' to "Andrew McKenzie" ;)

- TB

You gonna give Doss a supporting role at least then?

Directed by Walter Hill

Produced by David Valdes

Cast

Jonah Hex - Tom Jane

Leila - Debra Kara Unger

Turnbull - Jared Harris

Burke - Mark Strong

- tb

Imagine a Hex film, a comic book based film, that looked like There Will Be Blood but with the action of The Outlaw Josey Wales. I cry.

Now that sounds like a helluva fun ride, TB! I'm with you when I think of what could have been. Guess we'll have to wait and see how it turns out.

Doss will be the corpse hanging from the tree in the opening. He would have one line . . . " Wa . . . water".

Then a crow picks out his left eye. Jonah spits at the ground under the fella's feet, says . . . "I ain't got no agua for the dead", walks on (no horse), but when he tops the rise in the burning noon day sun he turns and puts a bullet in the guy's head to send him home.

Great part for Fred.

And I'll get him some more work as other corpses here and there ;)

Vikings era Kirk Douglas, fuck yeah, or The War Wagon era KD!

Goddamn it, if it were only 35-40 years ago we'd have some great talent to choose from!

We got a few today, they're just hard to come by, and even harder to finance.

I could imagine Hex with PT Anderson and D Day Lewis. Fantasy world.

I just wanna see Solomon Kane with Purefoy and I'll be happy.

- TB

Honestly, I'm ready to change the 'written by' to "Andrew McKenzie" ;)

- TB

Haha. Appreciate it. Only comic book character I have my eyes set on is Jack 'Nomad' Munroe. In fact, started a little experiment last night on Facebook. Do a search for Jack Munroe. Become friends. Enjoy the ride.

Actually from what Brolin has said, their script was kinda crap but had a nugget of something in it, and so he signed on and had it rewritten. So while it will have action, I doubt it'll a western version of Crank.