Sign in to follow this  
Tim Bradstreet

Red Sky Diary

Oh man, those are both great ideas.

If Noeland and I did the for real doco, I'd want it to focus on RSD though, not me ;)

As for Andy's suggestion, that's BRILL dude.

I can see it now, Uncovering the Myth of Red Sky Diary.

I could borrow some props from KNB, we could uncover Mudir skulls and locate/excavate a Kurgan (burial mound) in the Ukraine where Ulaan-Bataar remains are buried, then we find a weapons and dry goods stash in one of the anti chambers, possibly an aged, worn, falling apart DIARY. Then later in the program we're carbon dating and cleaning/salvaging pages and entries from the hand written Diaries. PROVING the one-time existence of the Warrior Clan, previously thought to be Myth. Then have other "experts" try and disprove everything like a Bigfoot special created for The History Channel or A&E ;)

That's fucking RICH ;)

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX

Good God on rye toast with a side of mayo. I LOVE IT! I'm a history channel junkie too, and quite frankly I'd love to do both. I think we should. I'm booking the plane tickets.

We could make the doc a feature length endeavor about RSD. Get you back to Bloomington to have you talk about where and how it started along with Joel. I think that's fantastic. And the "Uncovering" special could be done as a 45 minute side project. I think we might just have something there.

Tim, I don't know if you and Noeland are joking about the documentary, but I think you should do it. I think every single member of RAW would really enjoy watching you take us through your process. And the documentary could be titled, the Bradstreet Technique: A View Inside an Artistic Mind.

It's kind of a joke. But it's something I'm very serious about too. I've been pestering Tim to let me follow him around with a camera for a few years now. ;) Seems like I finally wore him down! HA!

Guest AdminGuyX
Here's the Polidouris illustration -

Dr. Yevgeny Sergeyevich Polidouris - The Butcher of Eupatoria

The Assassin - Polidouris, near the Steppes of Issim - Southern Russia - Circa 1857

YevgenyPolidourisfigF.jpg

I began this in 2008, drew the just the figure for the 'tip-in' plate for the deluxe edition of Archetype.

A few weeks ago I took that lonely figure and added to it. Now it's workin' ;)

- TB

Wow, that's cool. I wouldn't have thought that elements of a treeline and black strokes like that would work together, but they really do pop.

I'm always going to feel a connection to this image now. :) Every time I see it I get a big stupid grin on my face.

The big swash of black was the first thing I added but I also wanted to place Polidouris in an environment.

I tried a bunch of different background options: fooling around with outside elements, playing with the composition in PShop.

I was nearly ready to just let it fly as it was, without an environment, when the snowy tree-line image popped into my head.

I thought, hmmm, that could work.

I looked through my own collected photo archives remembering I had some stuff that might just work.

Then I found it, placed it, sensed I'd found the exact right element.

But before I added it for true I really was on the fence, should I, or shouldn't I?

Then I said, "Fuck it" (I really did, I said it aloud), threw caution into the wind and drew the fucker in.

When I got finished I pulled away from it to look at it a bit further back. I felt like I made the right choice but wasn't yet completely sold. I liked it but wasn't sure if I loved it.

So yeah, I wasn't sure if it would really work at first either, wasn't even all that sure immediately after I'd finished.

But every time I look at it I like it more and more ;)

- TB

PS - And by the way, the "Butcher of Eupatoria" thing is a moniker Polidouris earned during the Crimean War.

I'd like to rattle on all about it but let's leave some mysteries for the actual BOOK ;)

PS - I just finished printing a giclee of this last Gallows shot and it's ridiculously cool! I backed off the blacks a bit so you could see the lighter tones within, and a lot of the brushstrokes.

The next best thing to having an original, I swear. And now that I think about it, I DO believe I'm going to begin doing some more 'wash' type pieces, thin the ink out a little and paint a bit more.

Like those awesome Frazetta ERB illustrations he did for Canaveral Press. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

Any chance in the next couple weeks I can order a proof of the "wash" version? Just moved to a new place and my walls are bare and very un-badass.

It's kind of a joke. But it's something I'm very serious about too. I've been pestering Tim to let me follow him around with a camera for a few years now. ;) Seems like I finally wore him down! HA!

You'd need at least one other guy to hold a camera... And I've had a vast amount of experience in picking up things and holding them :lol:

Here's the Polidouris illustration -

Dr. Yevgeny Sergeyevich Polidouris - The Butcher of Eupatoria

The Assassin - Polidouris, near the Steppes of Issim - Southern Russia - Circa 1857

YevgenyPolidourisfigF.jpg

I began this in 2008, drew the just the figure for the 'tip-in' plate for the deluxe edition of Archetype.

A few weeks ago I took that lonely figure and added to it. Now it's workin' ;)

- TB

Hey, Tim, I asked this over at FB, so forgive the repetition, but my question was a little too lengthy to go into detail over there. But I was just curious how you came up with the name for this character. Was it coincidence or was it a deliberate nod to something (or someone) else?

It's just a very cool and unusual name.

The big swash of black was the first thing I added but I also wanted to place Polidouris in an environment.

I tried a bunch of different background options: fooling around with outside elements, playing with the composition in PShop.

I was nearly ready to just let it fly as it was, without an environment, when the snowy tree-line image popped into my head.

I thought, hmmm, that could work.

I looked through my own collected photo archives remembering I had some stuff that might just work.

Then I found it, placed it, sensed I'd found the exact right element.

But before I added it for true I really was on the fence, should I, or shouldn't I?

Then I said, "Fuck it" (I really did, I said it aloud), threw caution into the wind and drew the fucker in.

When I got finished I pulled away from it to look at it a bit further back. I felt like I made the right choice but wasn't yet completely sold. I liked it but wasn't sure if I loved it.

So yeah, I wasn't sure if it would really work at first either, wasn't even all that sure immediately after I'd finished.

But every time I look at it I like it more and more

I have that problem too, Tim. ALL the time. I tend to keep reworking something until I overwork it and then I hate myself. I'm working on a piece now that started out simple but I was torn about the background, and I never could get it quite right. Now I think it's overdone, dammit! You ever do that? <_<

Hey, Tim, I asked this over at FB, so forgive the repetition, but my question was a little too lengthy to go into detail over there. But I was just curious how you came up with the name for this character. Was it coincidence or was it a deliberate nod to something (or someone) else?

It's just a very cool and unusual name.

Someone asked me a very similar question in the RSD gallery on my personal page, though the reply comment is located on different Polidouris image . . .

This was my reply -

"The inspiration for the name of this character, in a round about way comes from Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. John William Polidori, Lord Byron's friend and personal physician was present at the Villa Diodati in Geneva the summer Mary Wolstonecraft Godwin created The Modern Prometheus . Also a writer, Polidori is credited by some to be the creator of the Vampire genre of fantasy fiction with his short story, The Vampyre (1819). The connection to Basil Poledouris is purely coincidental though I am a huge fan of the composer ;)"

Save's time just copy/pasting ;)

As for the rest of the name, well, suffice to say that I decided I wanted him to be Russian. Yevgeny Sergeyevich is about as Russian-sounding as it gets but it had to be a 'familiar' sounding name, even if it's a little obvious. OK, fuckit, I'm gonna tell you a little more cause this doesn't really give away the story -

He's the son of Russian aristocracy, that's why I decided to use the WHOLE name. He'd wear it proudly cause that's kinda, 'who he is'.

His privileged upbringing bought him the finest education, but this dude's like The Black Prince (inbreeding will do that ;)

He's dark, real dark. He's a sociopath. He's brilliant. He's a Doctor, was also a field surgeon during the Crimean War. As I mentioned, that's where he earned his bloody nickname.

In the world of RSD, Polidouris is one of the most dangerous men alive in the 19th century.

Gallows is a Mudir Hunter.

Polidouris is a Predator.

I have that problem too, Tim. ALL the time. I tend to keep reworking something until I overwork it and then I hate myself. I'm working on a piece now that started out simple but I was torn about the background, and I never could get it quite right. Now I think it's overdone, dammit! You ever do that? <_>

Not so much anymore, only because I can experiment to my heart's content with the digital tools available to us these days.

I usually know if something is going to work by the time I pencil it, or I force myself to figure the problem out by that stage.

I never commit to ink until I'm reasonably sure the plan of attack has a good chance of succeeding ;)

But I've been there to be sure! I totally empathize.

- tb

I'm starting to wonder who Gallows has to look out for more, the Mudir or Polidouris. Sounds like you really have an amazing villian here. I'm almost more interested in him than Gallows (which is the making of any great story by the way ;) ). Can't wait to hear more.

Oh man, those are both great ideas.

If Noeland and I did the for real doco, I'd want it to focus on RSD though, not me ;)

As for Andy's suggestion, that's BRILL dude.

I can see it now, Uncovering the Myth of Red Sky Diary.

I could borrow some props from KNB, we could uncover Mudir skulls and locate/excavate a Kurgan (burial mound) in the Ukraine where Ulaan-Bataar remains are buried, then we find a weapons and dry goods stash in one of the anti chambers, possibly an aged, worn, falling apart DIARY. Then later in the program we're carbon dating and cleaning/salvaging pages and entries from the hand written Diaries. PROVING the one-time existence of the Warrior Clan, previously thought to be Myth. Then have other "experts" try and disprove everything like a Bigfoot special created for The History Channel or A&E ;)

That's fucking RICH ;)

- TB

Tim, you have to stop saying "if" and actually do it. Noeland seems to really want to. And you wouldn't want to hurt his feelings, right? ;)

I didn't realize Noeland was talking about a Red Sky Diary doc. I thought he wanted to basically film "a day in the life of" sort of documentary. Which I still think should happen, by the way. We'd see you working on projects, including RSD.

But having a RSD doc, fictional doc, and the doc about you may be too much. Even though Noeland would get enough footage for at least three documentaries.

For the RSD doc, the title should be Developing Red Sky Diary: A Tale of Devotion. How does that sound?

Serious or not, it's fun to think about.

Not so much anymore, only because I can experiment to my heart's content with the digital tools available to us these days.

I usually know if something is going to work by the time I pencil it, or I force myself to figure the problem out by that stage.

I never commit to ink until I'm reasonably sure the plan of attack has a good chance of succeeding

But I've been there to be sure! I totally empathize

I wish I were skilled enough to experiment with digital stuff, but I'm a little bit computer illiterate when it comes to that. And I'm a bit old-fashioned. I still like the feel of a charcoal pencil in my hand. Maybe one day, I'll learn how to do some of that digital stuff. :P

If you don't mind my asking, what is your process when you start a drawing? What steps do you go through to get to the finished product? Don't want you to give away any secrets or anything, just curious. It's okay if you don't want to tell all. ;)

I'm starting to wonder who Gallows has to look out for more, the Mudir or Polidouris. Sounds like you really have an amazing villian here. I'm almost more interested in him than Gallows (which is the making of any great story by the way ;) ). Can't wait to hear more.

Heh, I know what you mean, but trust me, you may be drawn to the Jackal, but your heart will be with the Wolf.

I felt that Polidouris HAD to be enigmatic, let's face it, the character is not so unlike Hannibal Lector in a way. The difference is this guy exists in a feral world, before the advent of technology.

Industrialization exists mainly in the big cities but that progress of civilization is very much on the periphery of RSD's world. The world of RSD is a remote, savage world, untouched by organized society. There is no FBI, and if the Pinkerton's were on Polidouris' trail he'd be at their homes, eating their families, while they were in the field following a ghost.

But in Asia, mid-19th century, the only real law in these territories is ruled by Damascus Steel, black powder, and a keen edged sword. I can imagine Hannibal the Cannibal feasting at will.

But the assassin, Polidouris isn't just a genius/sociopath, he's a hunter too. Imagine Lector in the lean, hard-sinewed body of a Native American tracker and you begin to wrap your mind around just how proficient this fucker is in his environment. By contrast, Gallows was trained by the most vaunted warriors of the age, from infancy. He's a prodigal master at the art of survival and dealing death. He's survived countless battles against overwhelming odds. He's the product of six centuries of carnage and war, born to the feud: Unmatched in any kind of single combat.

When they finally meet it will shake the world, or at least a small corner of it ;)

- tb

If you don't mind my asking, what is your process when you start a drawing? What steps do you go through to get to the finished product? Don't want you to give away any secrets or anything, just curious. It's okay if you don't want to tell all. ;)

Hmmm, don't mind answering but I suggest you start an "Ask Tim" thread.

Don't want to derail here and I get enough questions like this to warrant such a thread.

I'll be happy to pin it to the top discussions.

Thanks MF!

- Tim

Heh, me too!

It's all just existed in me Gulliver, and in assorted and lengthy notes and outlines for YEARS.

I just want to once and for all get it recorded for true, which is the purpose of this current novelization.

It cannot happen fast enough for me. I've had to learn to exercise patience over the years but it's very difficult to contain my excitement right now at this stage.

Release is still quite a ways off but it looms closer every day.

- tb

New RSD piece -

This is a proposed title page illustration for the Red Sky Diary novel, illustrated version.

That or a frontispiece. The illustrated RSD novelization is going to be bursting at the seams with illustration.

I'll figure out exact placement when I get closer ;)

Sacred Ground

RSDSacredGroundBW.jpg

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX

There is a lot of power in that image. You can almost anticipate the motion, the action, that will follow this shot.

My vote is frontispiece. I think it would be a shame to use this as a title page, because frankly I really like to see you "design" that type of imagery versus sticking some text in an empty portion of an illo. You know?

And believe it or not, black and white boy would really like to see where this shot goes with full color.

:)

Ha! I was thinking the same thing Noeland. This one would be pretty sweet in color ;)

Hey, you still planning on Indy?

Hope so!

xo - TB

Guest AdminGuyX

I agree Jweb, great fuckin' background!

Yep, I'm making the long lonely 5 hour drive to Indy Tim. I'm looking forward to it!

That peice is nuts. Like so many others here I have been dying to see this thing since Maximum Black. This novel will certainly go a long way towards satisfying some of the curiousity.

Can't wait for the movie!

(Just screwing around, though holy shit that would be the coolest looking movie ever.)

If the book doesn't launch SOMETHING I'll be surprised.

Cool doesn't even begin to cover what I have in store ;)

- tb