Sign in to follow this  
Tim Bradstreet

Red Sky Diary

I'm going to find it very difficult not to show all of the new artwork to you bunch.

Working on some new ones as we speak and I'm just so fucking excited.

This is the kind of shit I'd do every day of my life if I could actually afford to support myself doing it.

Guess I'll have to hope and pray that the material ends up striking a chord and can set me up.

Who am I kidding? I've been doing RSD for free for 20 years.

This plan goes nowhere and I'll still be doing them for free 20 years from now ;)

- tb

I'm going to find it very difficult not to show all of the new artwork to you bunch.

- tb

Show us whatever you can reveal.

I'm excited to be a part of this and hope we can do justice to these illustrations. Tim's really woven a huge tapestry of a story here. To really do it right, the story struck me first and foremost as a novel -- it's not just a concept, it's an epic saga -- Something that could use 100,000 words, not just 90 minutes of screen time.

Now if I can just manage to not screw it up...

Mark

Hosack is now fully christened here in the hallowed halls . . .

We suckered him out of the Malone thread!

Mark, an official welcome aboard the Red Sky Diary train.

Time to make sweet music.

- TB

Who am I kidding? I've been doing RSD for free for 20 years.

This plan goes nowhere and I'll still be doing them for free 20 years from now ;)

I think that right there is why it's gonna kick arse. When people with an abundance of talent produce their passion project, the results are usually pretty spectacular. Looking forward to seeing this develop more and more.

Guest AdminGuyX

Damn. Now those are some updates.

Thank you! :)

I have no doubt you guys are going to create a great novel.

I just hope that creating a sequential story of some kind to go along with all this hasn't been abandoned.

Sequential adaptations are by no means abandoned ;)

It's simply too big a job for me to take on at this time.

The hope is that we can ESTABLISH the RED SKY DIARY story first, let that open the doors to the rest.

More Novels - There's a whole line of prequel novels in the plans beginning with Red Sky Diary: Book 1 - Progenitor

Comics - I won't be drawing all of these but like Mike Mignola with Hellboy, I'll be hand picking the artists that will.

I'll contribute here and there, with illustrations or inking or taking on bookend, shorter sequential bits.

I'll be doing ALL the covers ;)

Film - The ultimate goal is to get Red Sky on the silver screen intact, not a formulaic piece of dogshit.

A serious, realistic DRAMATIC adventure film that happens to have very horrific elements.

To do that we must establish the tone with the above mentioned incarnations.

The dream would be to see the adventure unfold from the beginning in 1286AD, as a high production value mini series, ala Rome, Band Of Brothers, etc . . .

That would take us up to date, to Gallows, which would be planned as a film.

- TB

Question: On the myspace page, Gallows is described as having black hair, but in the last pic posted on your FB page, his hair looks lighter. Did you change that about him? Or do my eyes deceive me?

Truth be told, the painting you are referring to is actually an "underpainting". As such it's not truly a finished version so the hair you are looking at is in an unfinished state.

I like the piece so much as an underpainting that I decided to leave it in that state.

Underpainting is a method many oil painters use to create a base from which to paint over.

It's essentially an "oil wash", done monotoned. It sets the tone of the piece for those that prefer to work from dark to light.

- TB

Thanks SOTD ;)

Unveiling a new Gallows piece here.

You guys get a sneak peak before I post it to FB Monday.

Al Sayyid, Gallows - The Red Storm

RSDalSayyidGallowsFa.jpg

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

- TB

Really digging using your use of simple black strokes to frame your work lately, along with them fading into white crosshatching. I'm guessing the stroke to frame was done separately and added in photoshop, or did you cover up Gallows with some scrap paper to get the look of one fluid motion?

Really digging using your use of simple black strokes to frame your work lately, along with them fading into white crosshatching. I'm guessing the stroke to frame was done separately and added in photoshop, or did you cover up Gallows with some scrap paper to get the look of one fluid motion?

This is all on the board.

I just indicated a shape and then made it look like big brush strokes even though it's made up mostly of small brush strokes.

All you have to do is plot it out and it's pretty simple to make it look like something it's not ;)

There is a little physical masking involved, yeah, I just use a sheet of paper.

I don't bother with frisket, it takes too much time and you can end up cutting into the original.

When I need a tight seal i just use artist tape, but this one didn't require that.

I inked this in about 3 hours, wanted it to have energy, not the static feel you can get when you try to be too precise ;)

- tb

This is all on the board.

I just indicated a shape and then made it look like big brush strokes even though it's made up mostly of small brush strokes.

All you have to do is plot it out and it's pretty simple to make it look like something it's not ;)

There is a little physical masking involved, yeah, I just use a sheet of paper.

I don't bother with frisket, it takes too much time and you can end up cutting into the original.

When I need a tight seal i just use artist tape, but this one didn't require that.

I inked this in about 3 hours, wanted it to have energy, not the static feel you can get when you try to be too precise ;)

- tb

I never would have pick up on that, fuckin' kudos man!

Here's a look at a detail of the original scan, un-color-corrected.

Easier to see the process.

RSDalSayyidGallowsOSdetail.jpg

You can see too that I smudged, didn't get it perfect, up around his left/back upper shoulder.

But I've learned to appreciate those imperfections as long as they are not disastrous!

Also, I DID do a few touch ups on the final version, namely spotting some whites in the goggles ;)

- TB

Here's a look at a detail of the original scan, un-color-corrected.

Easier to see the process.

You can see too that I smudged, didn't get it perfect, up around his left/back upper shoulder.

But I've learned to appreciate those imperfections as long as they are not disastrous!

Also, I DID do a few touch ups on the final version, namely spotting some whites in the goggles ;)

- TB

Ah, totally see it now. It was done so well I just assumed it was two different images spliced. Once again, mondo kudos :D

You know, I actually prefer seeing a straight up scan some of the times. Its a real honest and raw (pun alert!) way of looking at the drawing; makes you feel like the original is right there in front of you. I love seeing the blemishes, the inkstrokes, and the white out/paint caked on in spots. On the page from Criminal Macabre I bought, the artist tried to apologize for the whiteout, but I couldn't have been happier to see all the techniques used.

Thanks for showing the scan, man!

Guest AdminGuyX

I really dig this new image. Ink free skin for Gallows too. That was unexpected to see. I always appreciate seeing and reading about an artists process too. I'm sayin' . . . documentary.

;)

Ink free only because I abandoned adding it yet ;)

Drawing the death marks on the right arm from this angle is tricky business, to get the contour right, etc . . .

But more so than that, there was so much going on with that arm I'd really hate to obscure it with tribal ink.

In the end I decided to leave it for the color version should there be one, I already have a plan for it, just figure color and desaturated, almost monotone warm grays.

I also rationalized that this could be a younger Gallows and his right arm isn't fully inked like we've seen so far.

The Rights Of Passage tat on his left arm is obscured by the angle so my thinking is that he DOES have that ink, and likely multiple mini arrow tips around his neckline and wrists.

Yeah, I'll add a few of those in post ;)

I love doing these simple shots. Oops, almost forgot. I added a cool new shot of Polidouris to my FB page which I haven't posted here yet.

I'll explain more in the next post.

- TB

PS - I just finished printing a giclee of this last Gallows shot and it's ridiculously cool! I backed off the blacks a bit so you could see the lighter tones within, and a lot of the brushstrokes.

The next best thing to having an original, I swear. And now that I think about it, I DO believe I'm going to begin doing some more 'wash' type pieces, thin the ink out a little and paint a bit more.

Like those awesome Frazetta ERB illustrations he did for Canaveral Press. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

Here's the Polidouris illustration -

Dr. Yevgeny Sergeyevich Polidouris - The Butcher of Eupatoria

The Assassin - Polidouris, near the Steppes of Issim - Southern Russia - Circa 1857

YevgenyPolidourisfigF.jpg

I began this in 2008, drew the just the figure for the 'tip-in' plate for the deluxe edition of Archetype.

A few weeks ago I took that lonely figure and added to it. Now it's workin' ;)

- TB

I really dig this new image. Ink free skin for Gallows too. That was unexpected to see. I always appreciate seeing and reading about an artists process too. I'm sayin' . . . documentary.

;)

Apologies for the triple post -

Noel - Why not start the EPK for the film, now?

All you gotta do is find an excuse to visit warm, sunny, San Diego and stay in my guest room for a week ;)

Bring some necessary vid equipment and we'll do it up.

Maybe can even schedule during a planned photoshoot with Joel!

How cool would THAT be . . . sigh

xo - tb

I love all of the illustrations you've showed us so far.

Tim, I don't know if you and Noeland are joking about the documentary, but I think you should do it. I think every single member of RAW would really enjoy watching you take us through your process. And the documentary could be titled,

The Bradstreet Technique: A View Inside an Artistic Mind.

A documentary would be cool, add my vote to that.

Also a fictional documentary would be a ton of fun as well. Set it up like the ones we see on the history channel. Tim can be the archeologist who discovers historical ruins that contain documents from the time period. And you can even get somebody to put together some of that cgi footage that recreats the epic battles of old, maybe use it as a commercial for your book! Yeah, I know I'm full of crap, but I love stuff like that!

I absolutely love every piece of work you have posted so far for The Red Sky Diary Tim, they are amazing.