Sign in to follow this  
origin1950

NATHAN FILLION AS CAPTAIN AMERICA.

I think TB nailed it in his comments.

I really like Van Holt as an actor and loved his role in John from Cinci, but...

I honestly think to be a financial success this role needs a familiar name as Cap. Money is tight man, and only getting tighter. I think people will still see this movie, but the general population may not be willing to part with that hard earned cash for a no-name actor.

I have no issues with it being a NON-American. After all, during the period that Cap was created(1941) this country was loaded with new immigrants. 1820s to 1920s saw tremendous immigration into America...and to paraphrase a quote from a famous jounalist of the period "We are all a bunch of mutts."

I have no issues whatever with the character being played by a Canadian, Aussie or Brit.

Captain America, to me anyway, is about the American heart and spirit, not the American blood line. The true blooded American thing just kinda sounds...well...Nazi-ish?, for lack of a better term.

I'd still love to see Fillion in the role. TL is correct, the guy is perfect. And he may be enough of a draw to put it over the top.

Van Holt:maybe but that's the extent of my opinion for him as Cap. MAYBE.

Brolin: Good actor, but not Captain America

Holloway: He should only play Gambit in the comic book world

Gyllenhaal: No. Only Spider-Man if he had to be someone because of the resemblance to Tobey. He was ready to play him in Spider-Man 2 until Tobey sucked it up and did it again.

Duhamiel: No. He's not established yet in my opinion. Cap is too big of a role for him.

Walker: Hell no. I don't see him as a mature actor. I hear the only good film he did was Running Scared and Jane turned it down so I didn't watch it. Don't tell me he was good in Fast and the Furious. It's about the cars. Take them away and the movie is of course garbage. I didn't like it anyways. Go watch his older movie Meet the Deedles and see how you feel about him as Captain America.

Tatum: or CT as Tim would call it and I concur for his reasonings. He's nothing but a stud to the girls. I have never been soo disappointed in a cast for a role as I have been with him as Duke in GI Joe. Bullshit. There's no way he can be Cap. NO WAY.

Caviezel: You can't be Jesus one day and Captain America the next. Am I wrong for thinking this?

McCounaghey: No can do. He can't handle that role. I can't look past him as a chick flick actor now. Take a look at this episode of Family Guy and watch Stewie talking to him. Everything Stewie says to him is spot on!

http://www.familyguynow.com/watch.php?id=611

Hartnett: Really? Yeah that's a joke.

Fillion: Yes. He can do this. It doesn't matter if you're an American or not. His name isn't so big but it isn't so small. He's established but people don't know it. He's a big guy too. Funny actor, serious actor, all around good actor. I like him as the Cap.

Cheers,

Raf

The main issue with American actors having difficulty getting work on Canadian productions (or other countries productions filming in Canada), is that Canada can dictate to a certain degree, some of the parameters with filming in their own back yard. I know that a film I'm currently attached to that is filming in Toronto was only permitted to have 2 non-Canadian citizen actors working for the whole movie. That means out of the 8 or so main roles (and the dozens of smaller ones) only two can be non-Canadian citizens. Our lead already counts for one. The same is true of the crew. We have to have a Canadian DP. They even had problems getting me signed on as Production Designer. The director and I (as far as I know) will be the only non Canadians having a hand in actually making the film (minus some of the producers). Preproduction is not included in this equation.

The Canadian government is simply making an effort to bring work to their own people, which I really can't blame them for. And luckily there are a lot of good actors of Canadian citizenry to pick from, and Canadian crews are fine by me too. There are a lot of experienced folks North of the border. Some films have the ability to buy their way out of the "Canadian citizen clause" (for lack of a more accurate phrase). I think too, that our production has some Canadian backing which upped the anti for us.

Here is a list of some of those Canadian Actors (some of the names may surprise you)

- TB

*Canadians are too close to home for us to put them in the same category as Brits or Aussies. They talk the same, act the same, drink the same, and fight the same. There is no effort required by a Canadian actor to act American. No dialect coach, no accent to conceal.

-TL

I'm just taking a wild guess here that you have never lived in or near Canada? They do have accents and I'm sure it varies throughout the country. Then there's those folks who insist on speaking French in Quebec. :(

Just saying. Not a big deal

-skye

Fred, Frailty and Reign of Fire are 2 good films out of McCounaghey's list of 20 GARBAGE films.

The bad vastly outweighs the good, therefore I must deem him SHIT.

He's huge and all American yes, but not a respectable actor by any means.

-TL

TB: Thanks for showing Canada a little bit of support. It's true that the Ontario government wants to push for more of the people who live here to back the film industry more, and personally I'd like to see the day when actors or directors work here instead of leaving for "better opportunities."

TL:That's exactly how I felt when I read on the article. Nathan Fillion would be awesome and this would take his career further...

But an actor whose resume goes mostly with chick flicks and a few good or really terrible movies?? C'mon...

---------------------

I would add Wentworth Miller from Prison Break as potential. I thought he'd be an ideal Cap...or maybe Hawkeye.

Thought I'd start this here so we don't derail the Iron Man thread.

I agree with Mike on this. The WW2 stuff is the way to go, especally since they are going to use Steve Rogers as Catain America. Iron Man's origin could be (and was) updated for the film. Originally set in Vietnam, there is no way this would work today, Tony would be too old. Besides, Vietnam didn't have the cutural effect on Iron Man that WW2 does with Captain America. Vietnam was just a product of it's time, similar to C.A., but with C.A. it grew into something more.

Historically, WW2 was seen as the point when America lost it's innocence. Captian was lost before it ended and was thawed out later. They way I see Captain is similar as to how I see Superman, he's the perfect figure of representaion for what America is and wants to be. Essentally, both characters too perfect (which is why I never had too much interest in either book).

I think taking away the WW2 background would be a blow to the character and I see no reason why Marvel would want to change that. Personally, I only started to read Captain after Brubaker relaunched the title. Now I'm addicted. I would love to see the WW2 stuff the way the Winter Soldier arch played out, either telling it chronolgically or using flashback. Winter Soldier is another character I would like to see come around if they do a sequel. I think Marvel kind of dropped the ball with him. He seems like the prime candidate to take over for Cap, but I really wish he would have gotten his own series. To take a character like Bucky Barnes and make him cool, unthinkable. But they did it.

No, that thread is more of a fan casting thread and hasn't talked about the actual movie.

I only started this because I thought the other thread was geared more towards Nathan as Captain than about the film.

Mike, I totally agree about the title, not a fan. Techincally, wouldn't Iron Man be the first Avenger? (film wise :D) All that aside, I think it takes away from Cap, like the whole X-Men Origins thing. Yeah, the title fits, but to me, it be-littles the character. I feel the studios are saying "Hey these guys are cool because they are part of another team, so keep that in mind" which is sad becuase Wolvie has a cool origin story that stands well on it's own. The teams are being used as lables to sell the movies.

I can't wait to see Cap in action fighting Nazi's, as it should be. It's an important part of the character's life and his views on how things should be and should be done.

Well, with the X-Men Origins title I like to think that's just Fox thinking everyone is an idiot.

The First Avenger, it's just blech. Just call it Captain America for fuck sake same goes with Wolverine.

Guys the keywords of the other thread are CAPTAIN AMERICA.

Tim Bradstreet posted the article YOU posted Mike, so stop being a smartass.

If we receive confirmation that Nathan Fillion will not be playing Capi after all, the title will be changed to just CAPTAIN AMERICA.

-TL

1. I'm not being a smart ass.

2. What article? The one I posted in this thread? Because that was published today and Tim hasn't been on the boards for a few days now, so what are you getting at.

The article you posted revolves around Marvel's decision to subtitle the film The First Avenger and speaks of McCounaghey's involvement (bullshit or not) along with its release date and continuation in THE AVENGERS feature film.

All 3 of those things were already discussed in the other thread - because Street's article addresses all of them.

Multiple threads are an un-necessary inconvenience in a message board, so please stop telling me you're not being a fuckin smartass when you yourself discussed the Capi movie in the other thread.

Once again and for the final time,

Fellow RAW brethren, this thread is a repeat.

The discussion above is available in the following thread ---> http://rawstudios.invisionzone.com/index.p...c=401&st=40

Thanks and continue to talk Capi over there,

-TL

I posted it as more of a confirmation that the movie will take place during WWII, which people were doubting in the Iron Man thread.

And your saying I'm being a smart ass then I'll be one, you yourself started an Iron Man thread even though there already was one. So quite spazzing out about this.

Guest AdminGuyX

The threads have been merged.

On with the discussion, lets ease up on the tension guys. It's just a comic book movie.

;)

Kevin Feige recently stated that Capi will be a period film set in WWII. So sweet shit! He also said that the rumors of Matthew McConaughey starring in the movie are untrue. Thank God. He also confirmed that there was indeed Cap's shield in Iron Man. He said it was included as an easter egg.

Raffi

Guest AdminGuyX

I'd like to see the film start in WW2, and the story carry into the modern day. There could be some really great tech based, laboratory scenes along the way dealing with the super soldier program. Could be very cool.

And honestly, I think McConaughey could probably pull off the role if it was handled properly. But that could also go very bad. He's not the worlds worst actor ever, but he's had his share of misses. Now days though his persona is getting more well known than his acting.

I love the idea of Fillion playing a role like this, and to become a big star doing it.

It will certainly be interesting to see who ends up in the role. No question about it.

I'd like to see the film start in WW2, and the story carry into the modern day. There could be some really great tech based, laboratory scenes along the way dealing with the super soldier program. Could be very cool.

And honestly, I think McConaughey could probably pull off the role if it was handled properly. But that could also go very bad. He's not the worlds worst actor ever, but he's had his share of misses. Now days though his persona is getting more well known than his acting.

I love the idea of Fillion playing a role like this, and to become a big star doing it.

It will certainly be interesting to see who ends up in the role. No question about it.

I want my WWII Captain America, I agree.

I like McConaughey in a few films. He got pigeonholed with these shitty comedies but if you put him to the test he can pull it off. Reign Of Fire was bad ass. Frailty was also good. A Time To Kill and of course Dazed & Confused. Who knows, might be what makes his turn into serious acting. I'd like to see him break the mold that's been assembled for him.

But, I love Nathan Fillion. The guy kicks ass and I really see him in this role. This guy would bring to Captain America what RDJr brought to Iron Man. If done right, the film would be incredible.

JO

I'm guessing the Captain America movie is gonna end with him being frozen and then The Avengers movie is gonna pick up with Cap getting found and thawed out.

I switched this back to the original thread title and kept "the official captain america movie thread."

When Nathan is confirmed or denied officially as the lead I'll edit the title accordingly.

Cheers - TB

Hey guys! Just joined. It's funny 'cause I just watched Serenity and was thinking Nathan Fillion would be a GREAT Cap!! (Canadian or not) So I went to Google and typed in "Nathan Fillion Captain America" and it took me here!! Ah, destiny.

Here's my take. Let's say that MARVEL decides to follow (possibly loosely) the Ultimates storyline. For those of you who have read that book, there are two scenes (IMO) that really stick out w/ Cap:

First, the part where he takes out the Hulk. That's right....THE HULK!

Second, the scene where Cap puts Hank Pym (Giant Man) down for beating on his wife (Wasp).

Now, for those of you who've seen Nathan in Firefly/Serenity as a certain other captain, you know what I'm talking about!

Oh, and for the Red Skull....Crispin Glover.