Sign in to follow this  
origin1950

NATHAN FILLION AS CAPTAIN AMERICA.

The rumor mill is full of great possibilities. This one has me STOKED.

I mean really, who better than Nathan Fillion to play the WWII supersoldier???

serenity2wh9.jpg ---> captainamericabqh3.jpg

Just the idea of Fillion's involvement suggests the material would be alot more serious. This is a guy that brought realism and seriousness to the sci-fi/adventure genre better than anyone else. I usually changed the channel when I saw ships in space and CGI creatures. Firefly got me to rethink that habit. Captain America is gonna need a lead that can solidly and effectively ground it.

The thought of Fillion and Downey Jr. declaring [Civil] war on each other is also fanfuckintastic.

I'm also enjoying Fillion's comic photogenicness, something Jane mastered. These covers for Serenity: Those Left Behind and Serenity: Better Days are just great.

serenitybetterdaysbgm0.jpgserenityhcboz3.jpgserenitytpb2yz3.jpg

Even if its not through Fillion (but hopefully it will be),

IN 2011 CAPTAIN AMERICA WILL RISE...

-TL

The rumor mill is full of great possibilities. This one has me STOKED.

I mean really, who better than Nathan Fillion to play the WWII supersoldier???

-TL

Sounds, and looks, good to me.

For those of you that aren't familiar with Nathan's work, here's his complete filmography...

serenitynp5.jpg

-Strange and Rich (1994)

-Saving Private Ryan (1998)

-Blast from The Past (1999)

-Dracula 2000 (2000)

-Water's Edge (2003)

-Outing Riley (2004)

-Serenity (2005)

-Slither (2006)

-White Noise 2: The Light (2007)

-Waitress (2007)

Nathan became popular playing another Captain, Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds on TV's Firefly (2002) - though he made his TV break in Two Guys, A Girl And A Pizza Place (1998).

He recently became a regular on Desperate Housewives.

-TL

Guest AdminGuyX

Yes, I recently found myself watching Desperate Housewives because of him, but in the end, it was not enough to get me past 1 episode of the show.

:)

If they cast him as Cap, I have no doubt he will do very well. He's proven he's got a lot of range as an actor in the last few years. I even liked Waitress.

Njc-------

Yeah I think he's a great choice for Cap. His name isn't soo big but he's known. He's a buff guy, and even though he's a Canadian native, nobody really notices it. I've seen him on Two Guys and a Girl and thought he was pretty funny. I can definitely see this guy as a hero. Cap is the right choice for this guy in the comic book world.

Mad Max has to be an Aussie but Cap can be Canadian? I like Nathan, hell Mal is my favorite Firefly character hands down. I could see him as Steve Rogers, but as Cap? It is a difficult part to cast no matter what, granted. Even the suit they choose is going to be a hard thing to work out. Like I said, I like the guy, but in another role. Who should be Cap? No clue, it's damn hard to picture anyone. And of course I would see the movie. But I would rather an American, with a different facial structure, do the role. And yes, please take into conisderation that I'm known for ripping apart even my favorite films.

I gave up a while ago on casting characters according to their natives starting with Jackman as Wolverine. He did so well that I gave a shit less where he came from. As long as you can sell me the product, I'm gonna buy it. He sold it. I bought it. Same goes for Bale as Batman and so on....

When Marvel wanted to make a Captain America movie in the early 90's, Dolph Lundgren was the man they wanted for that role. Can you believe that?

Guest FADoss

And THIS is why I think nationality is bogus when selecting people for roles. Who is the best guy for the part? If he happens to be a VERY witty Canadian, AWESOME! If he happens to be a Brit who can toss out an incredibly amazing American accent, cool. OR if he happens to be a good old American who can nail Pikey, even better. :D

Nathan has my vote as Cap any day of the week!

Fred

The first part of my post was just to make a point about another conversation. My main concern is in the final look, feel, and sound of the character. Someone mentioned Dolph Lundgren as a possibility back in the '90s and that would have been horrible. Nathan is a witty guy, Cap isn't. And like I said, I could see him as Steve Rogers pre-serum, but until I see the final look I just can't picture him in the Stars & Stripes.

And I think I might be the only person who didn't like Jackman as Wolverine. Not because of his nationality, I couldn't care less. But because his size changed the character's style completely. I see the canuck in my head and he's short, fast, and agile. Jackman is huge. He fights slow and deliberate with wide swings and very little movement. It's possible that is due to directing, but that is another frustration completely. The problem is that I looked at the people they wanted before he was cast and was appalled. So he is more of a compromise for me. Good actor, not a physical choice.

Both Cap and Wolverine are difficult cast issues. And in the end it really doesn't matter whether I like the choices or not.

Cap is one of the all time hardest to cast. His look has never been really nailed down ala Bruce Wayne. We know he's Blonde and blue eyed, but if you ask most fans would give a diffrent artists look. I think Nathan is a good actor and I've always liked him but I'm just not sure he is the right fit. Regardless of country of origin or hair color. I think he could bulk up somewhat as numerous others have so I dont think that would be and issue. I think it really comes down to the story and the personality they give Cap. As the Ultimates version of the character is much diffrent to the old school version. Nathan I think fits the Old School version better. But I would bet they go for the newer one.

As to looks I always thought Mark Paul Valley would fit the look of Cap.

Nathan is great. Very underrated by Hollywood. Nathan and Ryan Reynolds (who btw should/must make a movie together) can work in every genre there is. As for Captain America, yea. Why not.

But...I'm probably going to get flamed for this. Jensen Ackles as Steve Rogers/Cap.

I always thought James Marsden would do Cap proud...but you know some studio asshole is sitting at his desk right now screaming into the phone " Get me PAUL WALKER! HIs movies always make 80 billion dollars...he makes money with dogs and snow!"

Valley and Ackles are both tall guys - which is a good thing. Valley is actually ex-Military which is also good.

Unfortunately, they both lack the charisma that makes Fillion so fun to watch when he's on the big or small screen.

Marsden is just too short and has already been branded as X-Men's Cyclops in the Marvel filmverse.

Ryan Reynolds has just landed a cameo as Deadpool in X-Men Origins: Wolverine out Summer 2009.

I'm not surprised that Fillion is being groomed for Capi. Originally they considered Matt Damon, but then that went off the radar as soon as Nathan came into the picture.

serenity1zi4.jpg

-TL

Nathan Fillion would be amazing as Captain America. That... is an awesome casting choice.

Though I could also see him as the James Barnes, you know, Bucky, who is the new Captain America.

Valley and Ackles are both tall guys - which is a good thing. Valley is actually ex-Military which is also good.

Unfortunately, they both lack the charisma that makes Fillion so fun to watch when he's on the big or small screen.

Marsden is just too short and has already been branded as X-Men's Cyclops in the Marvel filmverse.

Ryan Reynolds has just landed a cameo as Deadpool in X-Men Origins: Wolverine out Summer 2009.

I'm not surprised that Fillion is being groomed for Capi. Originally they considered Matt Damon, but then that went off the radar as soon as Nathan came into the picture.

serenity1zi4.jpg

-TL

Really can't argue with you on any of your points TL. And I never knew that Nathan Fillion was 6'1...they must all be giants on Firefly cause he never seemed that big!

I'm a huge fan of Firefly and Serenity, I'd love to see Fillion get his hooks into a franchise movie. I was hoping that would happen with Serenity, but it was not to be...

So maybe he will hit it with Cap? Hope so.

Serenity was a dream come true for me.

When I heard it was coming out I went berserk. A film truly made for the fans and with no intention to emphasize its storyline on profit. The film is a true follow up to the show. Nathan was awesome in it (as I expected) and I loved the dramatic twists (deaths).

I know a third part is OUT OF THE QUESTION, but hey - that's what I said about a second...

serenitybetterdays1ra2.jpg

PREQUEL?

-TL

Guest FADoss
Cap is one of the all time hardest to cast. His look has never been really nailed down ala Bruce Wayne.

Yeah...like...Michael Keaton?

I thought Michael Keaton was outstanding as Batman. His movie is the highest grossing DC movie of all time.

Batman Returns was also the first comic book movie that strayed away from the kid friendly superhero genre with no regard for box office loss.

What made him great were those eyebrows that hinted somethin dark within...

michaelkeatonisbatman9iw9.jpg ---> michaelkeatonisbatman7jc0.jpg

That first scene in Batman Returns gives me chills. He's sitting in a dark room just waiting for the night to call on him...And then comes the signal that ignites the fire in his eyes. Burton, Keaton and that Bat symbol were a match made in heaven.

In Pacific Heights and Desperate Measures, Keaton is as dark as he can be and even darker than Bale in American Psycho.

The Dark Knight has to be dark right?

-TL

Guest FADoss

He was PERFECT, but NOT what Bruce Wayne had been depicted to look like...

That was the point.

So here's what's going on with the Captain America movie.

Zak Penn (The Incredible Hulk, X3, Elektra, X2) is gonna be writing the script and also the sequel called The Avengers.

Nick Cassavetes (Alpha Dog, The Notebook, John Q) will be directing it.

Marvel and Paramount originally wanted to release it in May of 2009, but Hugh Jackman's X-Men Origins: Wolverine got the coveted May spot. Now its being pushed to May 2011 to follow up the August 2010 release of Matthew Vaughn's THOR.

Nathan is still heavily the prime candidate for the super serum after a year since his name was first linked to the project...

nathankr9.jpg = captainamericacopybqc6.jpg

THE CAPTAIN IS COMING

-TL

Penn didn't write Fantastic Four, he wrote the video game story though.