Sign in to follow this  
Thomas Jane

Frighten the Horses

Awesome! :D

I love MySpace for finding out about bands and singers.

Oh, and don't have a conniption, I mean this as a compliment, but your vocals on "Spider" sound like the "crying", yearning, blue, pure tone of Chris Isaak (I like his voice).

Nice stuff. :)

Jen

That's true, Jen. I love Chris Isaak too, although Thomas' sound is a little coarser than Isaak's. And that's completely a compliment. I really like your sound, TJ, especially on Girl in the Woods. That song just blows me away.

Mediumfan

Guest FADoss
This really does not sound like chinese pop/ghettotech to me. Are you sure you labelled it correctly?? B)

-skye

What? I heard it loud and clear. I mean what's not Chinese pop ghettotech about these hapennin' tunes?

:P

:D

so glad to hear more :)

"Girl in the Woods" has a lovely soothing tone, love the background sounds

well shucks.. i got a few more up my sleeve - stick around and i'll let you know when they are up.

and feel free to spread the word.

i don't like actors singing, in general. in fact i pretty much hate it. that's why i've got no mention of me on the page. when people put a 'personality' to the song then i think it loses some of it's magic. but there it is, a goddamn actor singing songs. but i don't see it that way. i see a guy who acts sometimes writing a few songs and laying them down. if you asked me to listen to Thomas Jane singing songs i'd tell you to go eat shoe leather. but if i heard these songs on their own, without some stupid 'celebrity' attached to them, then well i might like them. i gotta tell ya i will never want to listen to russell crowes band. or that hot young actress who made an album. fuck her! i don't care what she has to say, as long as i don't have to listen. but if you told me that my favorite painter made an album, i would buy it. does anybody understand this? what a f-ed up business. T

So I take it we won't be seeing you in a musical any time soon ha Tom?

Give yourself a good deal of credit though cause your music is very chillin if that makes sense.

Raffi

i don't like actors singing, in general. in fact i pretty much hate it. that's why i've got no mention of me on the page. when people put a 'personality' to the song then i think it loses some of it's magic. but there it is, a goddamn actor singing songs. but i don't see it that way. i see a guy who acts sometimes writing a few songs and laying them down. if you asked me to listen to Thomas Jane singing songs i'd tell you to go eat shoe leather. but if i heard these songs on their own, without some stupid 'celebrity' attached to them, then well i might like them. i gotta tell ya i will never want to listen to russell crowes band. or that hot young actress who made an album. fuck her! i don't care what she has to say, as long as i don't have to listen. but if you told me that my favorite painter made an album, i would buy it. does anybody understand this? what a f-ed up business. T

Yeah, sometimes it seems like every actor wants to make a record and every recording artist wants to be an actor. Like they're not getting enough attention doing the one thing well. They have to jump up and down waving their arms yelling, "Look at me. Look what I did." like a two year old.

So I totally respect and am pleased that you're keeping a low profile on Frighten the Horses.

Very cool.

*skye

Guest AdminGuyX
i don't like actors singing, in general. in fact i pretty much hate it.

Why not man? It's always so GOOD.

:P

but if you told me that my favorite painter made an album, i would buy it. does anybody understand this?

Yeah, Tim Truman (favorite comic artist and writer) has a kick ass blues band, and he was nice enough to send me some demo tapes a few years back that I literally played until the tape broke. We chatted up the blues music for a while, talked about Santana, it was very cool.

For me, it's just about if they are good or bad, my taste or not my taste. I try not to pre-judge an actor who sings, or plays bass in punk band, whatever. Or even a musician who starts acting, I try to just take it as given, you know?

In this case, you're sharing your music with fans and nobody could ever fault you for that man. Plus, the music is pretty damn good. I even put spider on my profile page.

So, thank you for sharing a secret talent with us!

Noeland-----------

... They have to jump up and down waving their arms yelling, "Look at me. Look what I did." like a two year old.

:D definitely! and that's the way it is all over the world, believe me...

but if you told me that my favorite painter made an album, i would buy it. does anybody understand this? what a f-ed up business. T

its cause painters aren't over-exposed and whored by the media.

The 'personality' you speak of is non-existent for painters. And yeah, it does interfere. I know musicians who perform in the pitch dark ot with minimal visual stimula and let the vibrations catalyze visual activity behind your eyelids. then there are some musicians that have hyper-media blasting tripped out digitalimages and strobing lights and LED panels- like complete sensory overload.

But acting in its pure form ahs been fucked with by T.V. shows like E True Hollywood Story, Access, Extra, Enquirer all sorts of talk-shows. People think they know you. They forget the art projected by the artist and are fixated on the celebrity.

I think its cause people want to sort of consume a talented persons power in a way. Like, oh- if i knew Tom Cruises personal life and where he vacations I can live vicariously through him- and forget the fact that Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise because of performances in things like Interview with the Vampire or Collateral.

Now I got a problem: I feel the same way and to preserve the ethic of the music I produce and separate from any financial/ business ties or mental association- I release my tracks anonymously.

But this is the problem- the name I made up for myself- my code name- was only used once anywhere in the world and it's here! By some fluke, when registering for this board I just typed in my music projects name- sveinx- so now youtube has played my song out as a score to friends' short flic to 14,000 people. So onn the credits, if anyone of those wants to look up sveinx- guess where they're gonna land!

On this damn RAW forum Where people will think I'm all about celebrities and comic books! I can't even change it here cause I posted in the past and my music is copytrighted so I can't change that name either.

Thanks a lot asshole!

sveinx

I gotta say that I agree with the general consensus here that as a rule, most actors should stick to acting, and singers should stick to singing. It's a rare thing to find one who is as good at one as the other. And it's always been my opinion, that as has been stated, when an actor makes a studio album and makes a huge public spectacle of it, then it's more about getting attention than about making good music. Most of the actors who have made albums I wouldn't spend one red cent on them. I'd rather spend my money on a nobody who makes good music than buying something just for the name.

One thing that immediately springs to mind is the cast of the original Star Trek making an album, and Leonard Nimoy butchering "Proud Mary" (and that's not even mentioning what William Shatner did :P ). If an actor wants to just make good music and isn't interested in gaining more glory or attention for themselves then I'm more likely to give it a listen before judging.

And I'm usually a pretty harsh judge of artists venturing outside their comfort zone, so when I say I really like Frighten the Horses, I mean it. I can't stop listening to "Girl In the Woods" and it's about to replace Chris Isaak on my profile ( a position which he has held for a looong time ;) ). That song has crawled inside my head and I can't get enough of it.

Keep it comin', Thomas. I'm dyin' to hear more.

Mediumfan

its cause painters aren't over-exposed and whored by the media.

The 'personality' you speak of is non-existent for painters. And yeah, it does interfere. I know musicians who perform in the pitch dark ot with minimal visual stimula and let the vibrations catalyze visual activity behind your eyelids. then there are some musicians that have hyper-media blasting tripped out digitalimages and strobing lights and LED panels- like complete sensory overload.

But acting in its pure form ahs been fucked with by T.V. shows like E True Hollywood Story, Access, Extra, Enquirer all sorts of talk-shows. People think they know you. They forget the art projected by the artist and are fixated on the celebrity.

I think its cause people want to sort of consume a talented persons power in a way. Like, oh- if i knew Tom Cruises personal life and where he vacations I can live vicariously through him- and forget the fact that Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise because of performances in things like Interview with the Vampire or Collateral.

Now I got a problem: I feel the same way and to preserve the ethic of the music I produce and separate from any financial/ business ties or mental association- I release my tracks anonymously.

But this is the problem- the name I made up for myself- my code name- was only used once anywhere in the world and it's here! By some fluke, when registering for this board I just typed in my music projects name- sveinx- so now youtube has played my song out as a score to friends' short flic to 14,000 people. So onn the credits, if anyone of those wants to look up sveinx- guess where they're gonna land!

On this damn RAW forum Where people will think I'm all about celebrities and comic books! I can't even change it here cause I posted in the past and my music is copytrighted so I can't change that name either.

Thanks a lot asshole!

sveinx

we can change it for you if you like. but sometimes that's ego as well - the not owning the other parts of you, not wanting them to meet each other, because one might sully the other somehow... owning everything with humility and letting it be what it is with out passing judgment on your own work- that's the hard part. that said, at one point i had a different name for the writer, the musician and the artist in me. but in the end i had to cop to the fact that they were the same person - - and let's remember Samuel Langehorn Clemens, who said the name you give yourself means more than the name you were given.. TJ

Hey-

I wanted to reflect on this thought of yours for a hot second.

but sometimes that's ego as well - the not owning the other parts of you, not wanting them to meet each other,

To be honest with you, your statement turned into a haze mid-way- I have to sit down and figure it out. But for now the first that came to mind after reading this line about the ego and 'not owning parts of you' aka spirit is kinda deductive. Like removing sections from your spirit and sculpting a permanent figure to abide by like a slave- EGO.

I fuck around with analog synthesizers. When get into synthesizing and shaping frequencies- spacing and soaking up the various vibrations you can witness the infinite refractions of life. Its morphology. Its evolution and derivations. Yet this whole spirit you speak of- the COMPLETE you is wrecked from not 'owning'/mastering/possesing/fully immersed in awareness of that state of your soul simply because we decide to subtract specific frequencies from a 'whole/complete' silky patch of white static. Like sculpting out of clay.

So in deducting certain frequencies with filters and oscilators- you careful lose our 'parts' to gain a shape- a distinct sound- a ego. How beautiful each soul- with its own unique identity but each person's mind abstracting the pure soul we have all been born with is the colorful dance we get being surrounded by so many flavors of ego.

i don't know. somethin' like that.

sorry for wasting your time. I'm delerious and am not quite sure of what I'm saying.

you know what white noise machines are, right? They sound like a babbling brook or an ocean' I'm sure you've heard. and babies crying>?

i had a different name for the writer, the musician and the artist in me. but in the end i had to cop to the fact that they were the same person

I don't know about that. I'm tempted to believe sometimes that an artist is channel- a conduit that harnesses energy, decodes and process an alien form of consciousness ( for can you honestly say, you OWN your music? That you 'created' it. Premeditated calculations? 'I listen to my music sometimes and think to myself, 'Where did that come from?'there is no way in hell I could have generated that from my own consciousness. I just don't have the data. The whole process truly is mystifying.

so yeah, you are the same person. and unique individual. different forms of art pass through you- you just materialize it in different ways. But everything the pours out of your fingers is laced with Thomas Jane's essence. Yu breathe life into it. It is your breath. one singular breath. your soul.

sveinx

p.s.seriously. I'm terribly sorry for wasting your time and insert junk into your brain today.

p.p.s

and let's remember Mark Twain, who said the name you give yourself means much more than the name you were given.

and let's remember Patricia Arquette who said-

06umm1ksmmf2drolf2vn.jpg

Untitled-1-15.jpg

oh god. how do I know so much about the wisdom of a 'stupid celebrity'

this is the type of shit thats goin on at patricia-arquette.com

much respect and love to you all.

sveinx

I dig it the most my man!!!!

I sent a friend Request to the myspace page!

Very Edgy and Raw to me. Very much like a Johnny Cash and John Lee Hooker .

Panzer-

Very Edgy and Raw to me. Very much like a Johnny Cash and John Lee Hooker .

yeah. for real. The man's got some heavy blood. He should just change his name to Thomas Lee Hooker or simply Thomas Hooker or Jane Cash or maybe even....

Thomas 'the Hooker' Cash.

or just name his band Thomas's Hooker Cash

maybe not.

Does he just sing or is he playing guitar as well- you know?

sveinx

p.s. or Thomas Johnny. or

Thomas Janey

TJ - "Spider" is amazing! Keep it coming.

svenix - The channel you speak of is real. Here's the one quote that has always kept me going when I question my artistict or intellectual pursuits. It's from Martha Graham, mother of American modern dance, to Agnes DeMille, another important dance figure in the 20th century and niece of Cecil B. DeMille:

"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening, that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and will be lost. "

This is important - for artists and non-artists alike. We're all like a radio, tuning into different frequencies. Some of us are AM, some FM, some short-wave, etc. The saddest people in the world are those with their receivers off. (cue Brian Eno's "No One Receiving")

Kdedu

Thank you for that. It really elucidates what I feel is going on. Every instant our mind is changing, morphing, evolving whatever- your perception though it seems like you are the same person today as yesterday- a rush of sensory input changes you- the mind you perceive through right now is different from the one that you had when clicking on this forum a few minutes ago. So like your quote- the art you produce NOW or rather excorcize now is being filtered through a mind that is unique for this instant.

as far as Thomas Jane is concerned- I do appreciate his very stripped down raw flavor. His music isn't highly polished and there isn't any fancy icing- its just real gritty and fuck the audio engineering calculated post-production type of vibe. Its very freeform it seems and whatever comes out- comes out- 'lay it down' as Thomas says. This force spits through him and he is just recording what he sees and feels. More like a camera.

Which is cool in a way for it is instantaneous expression. It isn't heavily sculpted in a studio. Its a channelling that happenned very purely. An expression- as soon as he picked up the guitar- it isn't even about the sonics and the quality of audio as it is about the passion behind the striking of each note. I dig that.

I just wish he was just as instantaneous in answering my question but....he's too busy remembering Samuel Langehorn Clemens.

sveinx

"I just wish he was just as instantaneous in answering my question but....he's too busy remembering Samuel Langehorn Clemens."

I think he does play his own guitar, if that's what you were asking. In his youth he was known to be in a few basement bands. What teenage boy with artistic ambitions hasn't tried that route? ;)

That's true. and what teenage boy with artisitc ambitions hasn't read Samuel Langehorn Clemens?

in his basement.

sveinx

Thomas Jane-

i gotta tell ya i will never want to listen to russell crowes band. or that hot young actress who made an album. fuck her!

who are you talking about?

Lindsay Lohan? Paris? Dakota Fanning? Christina Ricci? what hot young actress? Brittany Murphy? Naomi Watts? The motherfuckin' Olsen twins? please clarify.

A.S.A.P.

and tell me whats going on with Patricia's laptop I posted earlier.

Jesus man! I'm on your side. fuck.

don't you realize mediumfan and I have a whole fucking fansite dedicated to your lady friend there- give us a little credit!

anyways, Happy Everything.

bye dude.

sveinx

Sounds teriffic man. Hope you can put more up for download or release a cd for forum members ;) . Keep up the good work.

Guest FADoss
well shucks.. i got a few more up my sleeve - stick around and i'll let you know when they are up.

and feel free to spread the word.

It's almost as bad as when basketball stars rap!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLJ65x0mbv0

So many actors/actresses try to make a record and bomb. There is ONE out there though...who is just fantastic. Zooey Deschanel is amazing. I heard her sing on "Elf" and fell in love with her.

Other than that, it's mostly crap.

Your stuff is seriously cool though and I like Val Kilmer's stuff and even a bit of Crowe's music. Don't think I'd buy an album of any of it, but I'd download it to the old ipod. :P

Fred

FADoss-

I didn't know Val Kilmer played in a band- thanks for the heads up.

Thomas Jane-

yeah, that's me on guitar. i've got an old beat up Yamaha that i love. my brother John is on lead, playing the solos. i just do rhythm.

thanks for answering my question- but you answered the one I was less interested in. You're not gonna answer the other one, are you?

But anyways, cool. yeah, guitars are like a pair of worn out out jeans. the more tattered and torn up, the softer and more comfortable and I guess more sentimental they get.

But I hate those new jeans that sell in like Abercrombie and Fitch or American Eagle that's already worn out and faded. That shit pisses me off.

Yamaha is a cool company. Its the only company that makes guitars, developed FFT synthesis and makes motorcycles.

oh what else, oh yeah. I wish I had a brother John on lead. My brother is an alien. and hates art.

But I have heard a few music projects made up of brothers- this French electronice thing- Ultra Milkmaid, this group Monolake- there are a few- and these projects are always tight cause I think there is some weird instinct/telepathic connection and tightness going on with siblings when performing.

That's pretty neat.

anyways, Thomas- I kinda dig you dude.

wish your family the best and I got a interview written up for Patricia which is completely out of control- if you ever want to- you know where to find me and its not here- its over there.

This RAW shit is tight.

very cool scene you guys are propagating and developing. very cool work you guys are producing.

love you very much- for reasons you will NEVER know,

sveinx

Guest AdminGuyX
This RAW shit is tight.

Tim can have the other signature.

I want this one!!

;)

Thank you sveinx, we like having you around.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this