Sign in to follow this  
Thomas Jane

Frighten the Horses

every now and then i get a bug to write a song. (god loves a fool) i'll get a couple brothers together and we'll knock something out. sometimes we'll even lay it down for posterity's sake. i got a few of these things laying around and thought i might share one every now and then.

this one's called 'whiskey' and you can listen to it here:

http://www.thomasjane.com/music/Whiskey.mp3

Guest FADoss
every now and then i get a bug to write a song. (god loves a fool) i'll get a couple brothers together and we'll knock something out. sometimes we'll even lay it down for posterity's sake. i got a few of these things laying around and thought i might share one every now and then.

this one's called 'whiskey' and you can listen to it here:

http://www.thomasjane.com/music/Whiskey.mp3

Tom, as a fan of old school country music...and a bit of modern rockabilly (Hank Williams Sr. is a musical God)...I have to say that I dig this A LOT! Got a bit of Neil Young and CCR in there too.

Got to say too that this reminded me a lot of something from "From Dusk Till Dawn" or even the bit from "Punisher" (I'm gonna play it at your funeral). Would be a GREAT song for a "Gunslinger" flick.

You should get a myspace band page together with this stuff.

Fred

You know this was deep as hell. I was driving home and there is this long stretch with no traffic lights and I cranked it up and I felt like I was driving to my last gunfight. Like I knew I might die in this last fight, but I was going to give it everything I had. I know this sounds weird as hell, but I started crying because immediately I was playing things back in my head about family, life, love, loss and the wind was blowing through my hair and I was like dayum this is too much.

I agree with FADoss and would definitely recommend it as a MySpace music page. Good music. Thank you.

That was cool, Thomas. Thanks for sharing that. I'm gonna vote for a Myspace music page too. I'd like to hear some more of your stuff.

That kinda reminds me a little of Neil Young, as Fred said, and maybe a little Tom Waits (just a little ;) ). Also sounds a lot like another band that I recently discovered that I absolutely love, called the sky about to rain. Great stuff. Keep it comin'.

Mediumfan

I'm not a big fan of modern country music. To me, country music is Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, CCR, Neil Young, Hank Williams Jr., Waylon Jennings, etc. This new stuff doesn't have the same feel, sound or even vibe. I just can't take it. But the old stuff. The good stuff. Its amazing. This song kicks ass and I agree with Doss when he says you should have a myspace band page, but only if you want more to hear it. If you want people to come to the forum to listen then it should stay right here in this thread ;)

JO

Hey, Thomas

I was wondering if you would mind if we copied your track over to the forum at Patricia-Arquette.com to share with your fans over there.

Just asking. It's cool if you want it to stay over here, though.

mediumfan

QUOTE(James O'Brian @ May 13 2008, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not a big fan of modern country music. To me, country music is Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, CCR, Neil Young, Hank Williams Jr., Waylon Jennings, etc. This new stuff doesn't have the same feel, sound or even vibe. I just can't take it. But the old stuff. The good stuff. Its amazing. This song kicks ass and I agree with Doss when he says you should have a myspace band page, but only if you want more to hear it. If you want people to come to the forum to listen then it should stay right here in this thread wink.gif

JO

I like some modern country, it's more underground really. Stuff like Hank Williams III (he does it all really; country, punk and metal) but it's amazing how much he looks and sounds like 'ol Hiram.

I liked the song a lot, I may have to add it to my "Drink Some Fucking Whiskey" CD.

I like some modern country, it's more underground really. Stuff like Hank Williams III (he does it all really; country, punk and metal) but it's amazing how much he looks and sounds like 'ol Hiram, Those Poor Bastards and Sons of Perdition are also really great.

I liked the song a lot, I may have to add it to my "Drink Some Fucking Whiskey" CD.

Hank Williams III is amazing and Those Poor Bastards and Sons of Perdition are good also. I'll have to check into some ol' Hiram.

JO

Funny thing about the Williams' none of them are actually named Hank.

Hank Sr. was born Hiram, Junior's name is Randall and III was born Shelton.

Also, Bourbon Crow is another country artist worth checking out.

Very nice. Makes me even more curious about Glenn Shirley.

nice work captain. I'll admit i'm not the biggest country fan but this is pretty atmospheric and (excuse the pun) 'raw'. i like the dry, stripped down feel of it. let's hear some more!

also, could this be a theme for a TJ spaghetti western?! you'd be great in a modern DJANGO-style picture. you could even call the main character whiskey (insert cool surname)

D.

Hey TJ, I dig the song, I agree with some of the comparisons to Niel Young and so on...but when was Niel Young ever country? I don't think this song has a country feel at all to it. It's a story telling song, which I love...it feels lik a bar filled with people and cigarett smoke engulfing the upper third of the room song... a guy finishing the tune then acually clearing his throat with Black Jack song... I can just picture this song being played in a dingy Irish pub in Boston kinda song. But hey that is just the coolest thing about a good tune isn't it? It can sound and feel like something different to each one of us. To some it is country to others it is folk, to me it is a hard edged whiskey ballad...bravo man.

Hey, Thomas

I was wondering if you would mind if we copied your track over to the forum at Patricia-Arquette.com to share with your fans over there.

Just asking. It's cool if you want it to stay over here, though.

mediumfan

sure go for it.

thanks for the kind words, people. you can DL the song here. http://www.thomasjane.com/music/

ALSO - cause some of you asked - i set up a myspace page for the music. put a couple extra songs on there as well. i don't know how this myspace crap works but let me know what you think..

TJ

http://www.myspace.com/frightenthehorses

sure go for it.

thanks for the kind words, people. you can DL the song here. http://www.thomasjane.com/music/

ALSO - cause some of you asked - i set up a myspace page for the music. put a couple extra songs on there as well. i don't know how this myspace crap works but let me know what you think..

TJ

Thanks so much, Thomas! That's awesome!

I checked out your Myspace page and I really like your stuff. "Spider" is really cool! I love your instrumentals on this stuff. It's kinda raw (pardon the pun) and edgy. And "Girl in the Woods" is AWESOME! Lookin' forward to hearing more of it.

Mediumfan

Just got back from a 4 mile hike with my daughters. I saw the myspace link and checked out the music. I have to say, after getting home and sitting down, I've got a cold one and am listening to Girl in the Woods for the fifth time. Thanks for helping me unwind Tom.

Any chance of getting some more downloads. This is good stuff.

i set up a myspace page for the music. put a couple extra songs on there as well. i don't know how this myspace crap works but let me know what you think..

TJ

Awesome! :D

I love MySpace for finding out about bands and singers.

Oh, and don't have a conniption, I mean this as a compliment, but your vocals on "Spider" sound like the "crying", yearning, blue, pure tone of Chris Isaak (I like his voice).

Nice stuff. :)

Jen