sidewaysgaze

News from Tom - he's looking for a director for MALONE.

sounds like John Carpenter or Wallter Hill would be perfect. 2 of my all time favourite directors. and for all those that reckon Carpenter don't cut the mustard anymore, check out his masters of horror episode CIGARETTE BURNS. Carpenter or Hill + TJ is a match made in heaven in my opinion.

But then he kinda shat over the good will from that episode when he Pro-Life, not even Perlman was able to salvage that one.

I love Carpenter, and would love to see him return to form, but I don't know.

Chase Palmer

William Friedkin

Robert Culp Yes, I do mean the actor/director/writer. Added plus is that he knew Steve McQueen...there...I said it.

Bob Rafelson

Brian Helgeland

Well you can probably get Carpenter REALLY cheap after "Ghosts of Mars". :)

What about someone more fringe like Brad Anderson (The Machinist), Richard Kelly (Donnie Darko), OR Scott Frank (The Lookout)?

Fred

...uum...I liked GHOSTS of MARS. It was stupid, but Natasha Hentstridge, even in a sweater, killing maniac reaver types...is HOT!

Yes, she was the only reason why I watched the movie...

thank for al the suggestions! Tim's right, we're looking for someone coming up, or someone who needs a hit.

my tops so far:

Robert Harmon

Chuck Russell

Scott Frank

Jonathan Hensleigh

Walter Hill

Nick Gomez

Shane Black

Brad Anderson

Rian Johnson

great ideas, all. keep em coming if you got em.

TJ

Guest FADoss

Get Scott!!! Ed Brubaker is IN love with "The Lookout" and his comics are VERY much in line with what you are wanting to do.

Also, looking on imdb...which is limited intel I know...Scott is not signed on to anything else yet (only listed as the writer for "Marley and Me" which is filming right now with David Frankel "Devil Wears Prada" directing). He's probably open.

Fred

Troy Duffy is a good director although he has done just one movie...

"The Boondock Saints" is in my opinion one of the greatest movies of all time.

mario bava died in 1980. good luck getting him to direct it.

WOW...that's deep David...smh

Thank you so much for pointing that out; I was going down my list and was trying to obtain the IMDB links. Anyone else I missed?

I appreciate it.

Tiara

mario bava died in 1980. good luck getting him to direct it.

Well maybe up, coming, and hungry for human brains. :P

Troy Duffy is a good director although he has done just one movie...

"The Boondock Saints" is in my opinion one of the greatest movies of all time.

I love B-saints...ever see the docu-movie, shot on Troy Duffy? It's called OVERNIGHT, They did a wonderful job of showing TD as a huge larger than life butthole...course I think TD can do that all by his lonesome.

I think Mr. Jane just might end up clocking the guy...probably not a good choice.

Hey! Did I mention Noeland James Collins?...I know I did, but he would be excellent for this...

Guest AdminGuyX

Yeah, overnight is an interesting film. I had some contact with Duffy though, I chatted with him about illustrating a Boondock Saints comic book many years ago, long before I saw overnight, and I must admit he was REALLY COOL to deal with in emails.

I don't think I ever told Andy that . . .

:)

Damn.

Tom, from the list you posted, my vote goes to:

WALTER HILL

He's still a vital storyteller, and the work he did on Deadwood was exceptional.

I might be biased, because I LOVE his work. Even Red Heat, which I know sucked, but I liked it anyway.

Hahaha. And I'm trying to get a casting of that custom gun Swarzapooper used in it too.

thank for al the suggestions! Tim's right, we're looking for someone coming up, or someone who needs a hit.

my tops so far:

Robert Harmon

Chuck Russell

Scott Frank

Jonathan Hensleigh

Walter Hill

Nick Gomez

Shane Black

Brad Anderson

Rian Johnson

great ideas, all. keep em coming if you got em.

TJ

My top three from those would be Scott Frank, Walter Hill and Shane Black.

Outside of those, I still would love to see Shane Meadows do it.

But then he kinda shat over the good will from that episode when he Pro-Life, not even Perlman was able to salvage that one.

I love Carpenter, and would love to see him return to form, but I don't know.

true. PRO-LIFE was abysmal. very very disappointing and a complete mess.

What about Timur Bekmambetov?

At the moment he's unknown but i think he is a visionary director.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0067457/

what about Guillermo del Toro or Alfonso Cuaron? ( Pan`s Labyrinth and Children Of Men......)

i`m proud of my Mexican People, i`m mexican, but if you want a new becomer, maybe the director of The orphan?

well well, maybe eric red is a good idead, did you see the new trailer of his last movie? 100 feet? youtube.com

is a good idea.

Guillermo del toro

Alfonso cuaron

Eric red

I love B-saints...ever see the docu-movie, shot on Troy Duffy? It's called OVERNIGHT, They did a wonderful job of showing TD as a huge larger than life butthole...course I think TD can do that all by his lonesome.

I think Mr. Jane just might end up clocking the guy...probably not a good choice.

Hey! Did I mention Noeland James Collins?...I know I did, but he would be excellent for this...

who the hell is noeland james collins? any relation to noelandlovesguns? what's he done?

This isn't from an official source, but I saw online that supposedly Tom and Ving Rhames are to star in "Give 'Em Hell, Malone!". Some deets here:

http://www.moviehole.net/news/20080527_tho...ng_to_hell.html

Can anyone confirm or deny? :)

Jen

who the hell is noeland james collins? any relation to noelandlovesguns? what's he done?

Actually, yes, he is noelandlovesguns. He is for the most part an absolute unknown. But if you give him 15 minutes of your time, and talk to him, you'd find someone with knowledge and a PASSION for movies, plus an IMAGINATION that is boundless and just in need of a break...well a decent budget wouldn't hurt any either.

So if you are looking for somebody who would LOVE this project as much as you, then PM him, he certainly wouldn't hit your budget like some of those other names I've been reading. Or just let it go, that's cool too.

In either case, I just wanted to reply and say thanks for asking man.

Here's some official news from Tom: "we’re still looking for a director. Should have one by next week.

TJ"

Cool! :D

Jen

Guest AdminGuyX

Thanks Andy, always nice to have your big brother pushing for you. ^_^

Here's some official news from Tom: "we’re still looking for a director. Should have one by next week.

TJ"

Awesome, can't wait to find out who was chosen!

Still hope it's Walter Hill.

:D

I think this has got to be my new signature!

:P

- TB

Hey Noeland, what exactly have you done as far as films? I love checking out new directors work. Especially in low-budget films. I think thats when a directors true passion and creativity come out, when there is no money. Irish46's praise has got me interested so I hope you don't mind me asking about what you've done and how I can go about checking out some of your work.

Just to stay on subject, how about James Wan? He did the first SAW movie but the work he did that I loved was Death Sentence. I know it didn't get great reviews but he made it so damn gritty and dark, and the action was so raw and real that it has some of my favorite action scenes towards the end of it. He's young but I think he has a clear vision and would be good for MALONE. I was origionaly going to say he would be perfect for Punisher but hey why not this one.

So, has a director been found yet? I read a while back Ving Rhames has been cast in it too.

A lot of the suggestions are great...

I hope someone hasn't already said Shane Black.

He did create the Lethal Weapon series, and the first film he directed, Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, is a fucking great noir-comedy film, starring Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer. Shane Black, I think, would be an excellent choice.

EDIT: I'm pretty dense... Black was suggested in the second post of this thread... :huh: