Tim Bradstreet

Hollywood Remakes Of Classic Or Cult Films

I'm a bit surprised that the Escape From New York remake hasn't happened yet. I guess it just lost steam. I heard it was going to be Gerard Butler then Timothy Olyphant then Tom Hardy in the lead, but as far as I can tell this is dead now. It will be interesting to see what Tom Hardy does with the new Mad Max film. Its the strangest remake ever since the original director is going back and starting over.

I usually find myself talking trash about remakes, but then I remember that John Carpenter's The Thing is a remake as is David Cronenberg's The Fly. Two great films that surpassed the originals.

the fly and the thing are the only 2 films that save this topic...i don't want a blade runner re make, however i would like to see what is going on in that world now? 2 films if done right (in a perfect world) are west world (with thomas jane) and man who would be king...

the fly and the thing are the only 2 films that save this topic...i don't want a blade runner re make, however i would like to see what is going on in that world now? 2 films if done right (in a perfect world) are west world (with thomas jane) and man who would be king...

oh, i forgot one...wat could be done with with a remake of the demon seed with todays tech could be really cool!

oh, i forgot one...wat could be done with with a remake of the demon seed with todays tech could be really cool!

just found west world on dvd for 2 bucks! classic and way ahead of it's time

just found west world on dvd for 2 bucks! classic and way ahead of it's time

man! it's wild what i thought was great when i was a kid...west world was so bad, watching last night...the idea was great

Still, I worship all that is Yul ... and I always dig when actors depart from the expected during their careers :)

Besides, it can't all be Shakespeare or The Punisher ;) right?

man, i'm watching Papillon for about the200th time! it never gets old...i'm hard pressed to think of a better film right now!

Did anyone see Evil Dead? I was against it in a big way for the longest time, even with Sam and Bruce on board. After the first trailer, I let my guard down a bit, it looked pretty promising. Old school, practical effects, creepy looking and down right gritty. I saw it two weeks ago, and I was not dissapointed. I loved it! The thing that I really dug (other than the practical effects) was that they did not try to tie it into the other films. They kept the needed elements, but there was no "Ash" replacment or obvious winks to the audience. I will say though, if you are a big fan of the Evil Dead films, there are several nods to the original, but they are pretty obscure. I would even say if you've seen the original a time or two, some of the nods will pass you by. I enjoyed that rather than the blatant "Hey look, this is from the original" nods. I would say the only big nod was the rusted out "Classic" sitting in the back yard. But that could be a lead into something else (more on that below).

If you love gore, this film is dripping with it. I did hear a lot of complaints from some saying it was too dark, no real character development, blah blah blah. To them, I say watch the original again. Evil Dead 2 is probably what you are thinking of. The original was going for scares, not laughs. It was dark and grim, and as for character development, well, there is more in the remake than in the original. I do think the 2013 version passed up a huge opportunity with one of the character's backgrounds. It was set up so nice, and they didn't utilize it. The brother who left and was feeling guilt, that should have been played on with the deadites tormenting him. The first one was more about the torment than the bloody kills.

I'm looking forward to what they are going to do with Evil Dead 2. Right now they are looking for a tone for the film. Fans of the series know that each film has a vastly diffrent tone to it, and they want to keep that going. If you are not one to stay until the credits end, you might want to stay. There is a stinger at the end (though I knew it was coming, it was not what I expected. I wish it was more) and it leaves the series wide open. Sam has announced Army Of Darkness 2. From the sound of it, it is going to be released sometime after Evil Dead 2. It has been talked about that Evil Dead 3 will be a film to tie both series together. I hope they pull this off. There are some plants in the film, like the Classic. Is this the same cabin? Is that Ash's car? Yes it was pulled back in time at the end of Evil Dead 2, but part of the charm of the series is that continuity does not really matter, so I could see this playing out.

All that said, this was one of the better horror films I have seen in a long time. I recomend it. Even hardcore fans will love it, I did.

this is not a film but tv series. the fall guy...anyone remember? u could take this and make it a hard edge action flick! stuntman/bounty hunter, stops at nothing "like a juggernaut" to get his claim...with guns and holywood tricks...u will fall! plus Thomas jane!!! oh, and change the character name to lee majors. any thoughts?