Tim Bradstreet

Hollywood Remakes Of Classic Or Cult Films

Steven Spielberg and Will Smith to Remake Oldboy?!

Steven Spielberg and Will Smith are in talks to collaborate on a remake of Chan Wook-Park’s Oldboy. Spielberg has been looking for an opportunity to work with Smith for a few years now, and this just might be the project. DreamWorks is in the process of securing the remake rights, and Spielberg is on the search for a screenwriter to develop the project. The project was originally set up with Fast and Furious director Justin Lin.

Continue reading:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/11/06/steven...-remake-oldboy/

Guest AdminGuyX

And Oldboy remake would be a disaster if anyone tried it, but these guys are so mainstream and safe, I can't imagine the film retaining it's sickness in any fashion.

Even if Speilberg had the balls to go with the originals ending, I'm pretty damn sure Smith wouldn't.

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) – "Rush Hour" director Brett Ratner is in final negotiations to take on literature's most famous barbarian.

Over the past few weeks, Ratner has been considering signing on to direct a 21st century update of "Conan," even as he pushes another high-profile project -- a fourth installment of the "Beverly Hills Cop" franchise -- toward a greenlight at Paramount, where he recently set up shop. The latter film is still likely to go into production first, at Paramount.

Ratner jived to the "Conan" script by "Sahara" duo Joshua Oppenheimer and Thomas Dean Donnelly, who looked to Robert E. Howard's original pulp stories of the 1930s to create their take on the brawny brigand. The writers are doing a quick polish to incorporate some of Ratner's ideas, with an eye toward releasing the film in 2010.

Continue reading:

Director Brett Ratner circles "Conan" remake

Chris Rock is writing and starring in a remake of the 2007 British comedy, Death at a Funeral. A film that came out just last year, was directed by an American (Frank Oz), had pretty good exposure here in the US, and is already in English.

Per Variety:

Plan is for an ensemble comedy about a funeral ceremony that leads to the digging up of shocking family secrets, as well as misplaced cadavers and indecent exposure. While the original was set in Britain, the new film will take place in an urban American setting.

Not surprisingly, this sounds like a bad idea, but probably not for the reason you think. I don’t have a problem with remakes. People complain that they ruin the original, but that’s not true… the original film is still available for you to watch and enjoy whenever you choose. This is a bad idea because Chris Rock is no good as a feature film star. Cameos sure, voice work in animated films okay, but starring roles? He’s a terrible actor, and his movies make no money. Look at the last four movies where he played a major role… I Think I Love My Wife, Head of State, Bad Company, Down to Earth… all shitty bombs. Rock should stick to smaller roles and stand-up.

Continue reading:

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/unne...-to-america.php

I saw Death at a Funeral several months ago and was somewhat disappointed by it. So a "remake" doesn't do much for me at all.

My wife loved Death at a Funeral. She is a big fan of Frank Oz's work - especially What about Bob and Bowfinger. The comedy is very British and was marketed that way - they actually alikened it to Four Weddings and a Funeral rather than mentioning Oz's name.

But a remake so soon. It's like remaking The Office or Kath and Kim - why?

regards

Andrew

Death at a Funeral was hilarious - but it was only funny as a British comedy. Translating it into 'American' will only fail. I loved Ricky Gervais' The Office precisely because it was British comedy. I can't stomach the American version - it falls flat for me. American humor & drama are it's own thing and it doesn't translate well and vice-versa.

These comedies work because they are commenting on their own culture. Look at Swept Away. The Italian version with Giancarlo Giannini was superb - it was timely and a direct statement about Italian culture and it's hidden caste system. It failed the second time around because the culture statement just didn't ring true.

(When I'm being particularly bitchy with my husband, I'm known to yell "Siiiigggnnnooooor Caruuuuunchio" in my whiniest imitation of Mariangela Melato!)

I'd rather be trained by Remo Williams than Mr. Miyagi anyday. Plus you'd learn how to dodge bullets when those high school gangs start shooting at you.

This is getting out of control.

Wouldn't be cheaper to invent a software program which just patches the film and upgrades it with a new service pack so that you can replace locale and cast.

I need a coffee.

regards

Andrew

What other films would you all like to see redone?

Yes good one JO.

Spawn...... done right this time around.

-Raffi

well if I had to go big,

i say Creature From the Black Lagoon. It should have been offered to Rob Zombie to direct...instead of the crap he's currently doing.

Im a mega fan of the classic universal monsters dont get me wrong...but if done right, gotta love em...ie:Wolfman looks so good.

well if I had to go big,

i say Creature From the Black Lagoon. It should have been offered to Rob Zombie to direct...instead of the crap he's currently doing.

Im a mega fan of the classic universal monsters dont get me wrong...but if done right, gotta love em...ie:Wolfman looks so good.

The remake is in the works. I think it's been brought up a few pages back, but I'm with you one this one. I'd like to see the Gill Man on the big screen again. He was always my favorite Universal Monster.

Timothy Olyphant has signed on to star in "The Crazies," Overture's remake of the George Romero horror movie being directed by Breck Eisner.

The story revolves around the inhabitants of a small Kansas town who are beset by death and insanity after a plane crash lets loose a secret biological weapon into the water supply. Olyphant is playing the town's sheriff.

Continue reading:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...a37f43e42ce4604

In 2007, Dennis Hopper told The Guardian that he was set to reprise his role as Howard Payne in a third Speed film. Some people assumed it had to be a remake considering (spoiler warning) Hopper’s character died at the end of the first film. Well apparently now. A scooper on AICN has confirmed that a scriptment for Speed 3 is floating around Hollywood. Not only that, but the story features the return of Officer Jack Traven, the lead character played by Keanu Reeves in the original film.

Continue reading:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/12/01/fox-wa...rn-for-speed-3/

The Police Academy movies were from a simpler time - a time when a man could make a noise like a toaster with his mouth and people thought it was good.

Of course, times have moved on since then - but nobody tell Steve Guttenberg. Guttenberg has decided that he’s ready to make Police Academy 8, even though that would obviously be the worst idea that any human has ever had.

Oh, and also Steve Guttenberg says he’s making another Three Men And A Baby movie, too. And Steve Guttenberg has forgotten to take his medicine. And he needs a lie down.

Alright everyone, it’s time to stop this belated sequel madness. Sylvester Stallone returning to make Rocky Balboa was actually a fairly decent idea. Harrison Ford returning to make Indiana Jones 4 was a stupid idea. Arnold Schwarzenegger thinking about Predator 3 is beyond a stupid idea. Steven Seagal wanting to make Under Siege 3 is - well, actually Steven Seagal wanting to make Under Siege 3 is a brilliant idea, but only if it can be set in space like he wants.

Continue reading:

http://www.hecklerspray.com/who-wants-poli....php#more-17563

Variety says Warner Bros. Pictures has hired John Brownlow to write its remake of the classic swashbuckler Captain Blood, produced by Bill Gerber.

The project is being developed by Philip Noyce with an eye toward directing. Warner is developing the film as a possible U.K./Australian co-production.

Errol Flynn starred in the 1935 original, directed by Michael Curtiz, as a doctor wrongly sentenced to slavery in the Caribbean, where he and his comrades become avenging pirates. It was nominated for the best picture Oscar.

Source: http://www.variety.com/article/VR111799672...yid=13&cs=1

Strike Entertainment is in talks to acquire rights to remake John Carpenter’s 1988 cult film They Live.

Based on Ray Nelson’s 1963 short story “Eight O’Clock in the Morning”, They Live was part sci-fi thriller and part black comedy. Pro wrestler Rowdy Roddy Piper played a down-on-his-luck construction worker who discovered a pair of special sunglasses which allowed him to see the world as it really is. He finds that all printed matter contains subliminal advertising and that many humans are actually aliens who in charge of the massive campaign to keep humans subdued. One of the film’s highlights is a five-and-half minute alley fight scene. The movie is also notable for coining Piper’s famous tagline “I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass… and I’m all out of bubblegum.”

Continue reading:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/12/03/they-l...ey-live-remake/

In October, we told you that Babylon 5 creator an Changeling scribe J. Michael Straczynski was hired by Warner Bros to pen a remake of Forbidden Planet. Now IESB claims that James Cameron is once again eyeing the project. He was at one time attached to it post-Titanic, but nothing came of it. If true, this is an odd move from Cameron who has said that he wanted to do a much smaller movie called The Dive after finishing his current three year production of Avatar. For now mark this as a “rumor”. Joel Silver is producing the latest try.

The original saw a group of Earth scientists who are sent some 17 light years away to investigate what happened to a colony of settlers on Altair-4. They find a man with a secret and his daughter who somehow survived a hideous monster attack on their planet. Gene Roddenberry has noted that Fred Wilcox’s original 1956 sci-fi film was one of the inspirations for Star Trek.

Loosely based on William Shakespeare’s The Tempest, the movie was nominated for best special effects Oscar, and was noted for its groundbreaking use of an all-electronic score, and the first appearances of Robby the Robot and the C-57D starship (which was subsequently used in a number of productions, including the Twilight Zone’s “To Serve Man”). The movie’s poster was listed as the fifth best Movie Poster ever created by Premiere Magazine.

Source: http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/12/19/james-...rbidden-planet/

Sometimes it’s also the actor/actress and what they do with a character that is very important in a movie.

I mean can you see anyone besides:

Harrison Ford as Rick Deckard… or any of the other character’s he has portrayed for that matter (though funny enough I could see Tom Jane pulling off Deckard, but still its best left alone)

Rutger Hauer as Roy Batty… or John Ryder (Bean did a reasonable job but couldn’t get that same level of all over sinister that Hauer achieved)… or even Etienne Navarre

Kurt Russell as Snake Plissken

Robert Englund as Freddy Kruger

Charles Bronson as Paul Kersey

Clint Eastwood as… well just about any character he has done really

These are merely a few examples… and of just some male actors and roles…

Many times the actor or actress brings something to a character that just can’t be matched… only imitated at best (and if they're just imitating why bother in the first place).

I know that’s why The Italian Job and Alfie remakes both didn’t really work for me. Neither Mark Walberg nor Jude Law managed to bring that spark to their characters that Michael Caine did.

There are some remakes that worked... but far far more that did not.

It's also a little sad that instead of trying to do something new choices are being made to redo something old and classic (mainstream or cult it doesn't really matter).

I don't believe in Hollywood remakes of classic films or European films, for that matter.

I can't think of any case, where the remake could even touch the original, let alone make it better.....

But I can think of lots of example where I thought the remake was an insult to the original.

Although, when I saw TJ in Last Time I Comitted Suicide - I thought he would have been great as Stanley in Streetcar Named Desire.... He's the only one I can think of who could come close to Brando in looks and intensity....

lasttimeIcommitedsuicide.jpg

marlon_brando_gallery_19.jpg

Friend of Shock, writer-director Adam Gierasch, alerted us to a new personal blog he has kick-started right here. It's definitely noteworthy due to the fact that the first subject he's speaking out on is horror remakes. Interesting, considering he co-penned one (The Toolbox Murders) and is directing another (Night of the Demons). Here's a taste of his blog entry:

In the modern film business, name recognition is king. When people are putting up millions of dollars to make films, they want to limit their risk as much as possible. The truth is, there are TONS of new and exciting original horror films out there. People just don't pay attention to them.

Give the whole thing a read here and drop him a comment. Let 'im know what you think.

Source: http://shocktilyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=9884

I'm a bit surprised that the Escape From New York remake hasn't happened yet. I guess it just lost steam. I heard it was going to be Gerard Butler then Timothy Olyphant then Tom Hardy in the lead, but as far as I can tell this is dead now. It will be interesting to see what Tom Hardy does with the new Mad Max film. Its the strangest remake ever since the original director is going back and starting over.

I usually find myself talking trash about remakes, but then I remember that John Carpenter's The Thing is a remake as is David Cronenberg's The Fly. Two great films that surpassed the originals.