Tim Bradstreet

Non-Mainstream Film

I've heard such great things about Let the Right One In, I really want to see it on the big screen, but mostly likey I'll be seeing it on DVD.

Also, Matt Reeves who directed Cloverfield is apparently directing the remake. Having not even seen the original, I know it should not even be made.

I've got a little known gem that everyone should see. It's called EYE OF GOD.

It's written and directed by Tim Blake Nelson, that wonderful character actor seen most recently in THE INCREDIBLE HULK.

Somehow, I heard of this film back in 1997 when it played for one week in Chicago. I still can't shake it.

It's got a wonderful ensemble cast that includes Nick Stahl, Martha Plimpton, Hal Holbrook, Kevin Anderson, Richard Jenkins, Mary Kay Place and Margo Martindale.

I don't want to say much about it, but it is drama, mystery and tragedy and you won't soon forget it.

The friends I've shown it to have loved it. One of them runs a film festival in Chicago. I made him watch it under duress and he said it was one of the best films he's ever seen.

I made Tim take the DVD home the other day, so I'm eager to hear what he has to say about it.

EYE OF GOD will take you to a dark place, but if you're in the mood for that, you can't go wrong.

Looking forward to dropping Eye Of God into my DVD player this weekend, thanks for the loaner Bri.

Also, I want to introduce my friend Brian McQuery properly.

I've known Brian it seems like forever. He's a Chicago boy and is one of those guys who's dedicated his life to independent film and film in general.

He's directed a fistful of short films out of Chicago and 2 years ago moved out to LA where he's worked heavily as a first and second AD.

Brian knows film inside and out, and we can all benefit from his knowledge in these waters.

I've been pleading with him to join our forum and he finally relented.

God knows we need more opinions and intel from discerning individuals like Brian here.

If you want to be introduced to films you've likely never seen but that are truly worth watching, you listen to Brian.

Cause that fucker really has seen practically everything and his taste is unquestionable ;)

Welcome Brian! Hope you like the avatar I slapped on you.

Can't go wrong with Maurice Micklewhite, AKA Caine, AKA Carter.

- TB

Welcome Brian! Hope you like the avatar I slapped on you.

Can't go wrong with Maurice Micklewhite, AKA Caine, AKA Carter.

- TB

I noticed that killer avatar right away - so cool! Welcome Brian!

Speaking of good films with Michael Caine, my absolute favorite is The Man Who Would Be King. In fact I've been thinking about mentioning it to TB 'cause it's in the Arabian adventure genre of El Borak.

Yeah KD,

Write it up formally and post it.

That wonderful film is likely way off of most people's radar here.

Classic John Huston with Connery and Caine.

Who's up for some Kipling?

Fucking A right.

- TB

Yeah KD,

Write it up formally and post it.

That wonderful film is likely way off of most people's radar here.

Classic John Huston with Connery and Caine.

Who's up for some Kipling?

Fucking A right.

- TB

Will do - you've given me a good excuse to see it again!

I saw DEATH LINE on the big screen a couple of years ago. Didn't know it has the alternate title, RAW MEAT. It was one of the headlining films at the Movieside 24 hour Halloween film festival in Chicago. Gary Sherman was there to introduce the film and do a Q & A.

It's not a great film, but it was worth seeing for Donald Pleasance alone and was especially fun with that audience.

I don't know if it's on DVD. That festival likes to show rare stuff that you can't often find on DVD.

Just saw LET THE RIGHT ONE IN, which was mentioned a little while back in this thread. If it's playing in your area, see it now before it's gone.

While it's not a great movie, there are great things in it. It's deliberately paced and at times I found it slow, but then suddenly the movie would totally deliver. I love how it plays with the vampire conventions and honors them while still putting their own spin on some things. There are some jaw dropping moments in this flick and I loved every one of them. And the effects are absolutely seamless. It's a mix of practical and digital effects, but they're so well done and so part of the character and story that you completely accept them. There are some shots that I can't wait to see again.

I'm very particular about vampire movies - one reason why I won't be seeing TWILIGHT - but LET THE RIGHT ONE IN makes the cut for me.

Can't imagine how or why they're gonna remake this one. Some of the best things about it will probably not be in the remake.

I also just saw JCVD, the new movie in which Jean-Claude Van Damme plays himself. Tim and I were just talking about this flick with a director last week and we were marveling over how well reviewed it is.

So it was that buzz that made me go see the movie while it's still playing. On the way I realized that I have never gone to see a Van Damme flick in the theater. I've watched plenty of them on cable and enjoyed some of them to a certain extent. I wouldn't call myself a fan, but he had his moments, especially with BLOODSPORT.

The movie is a mixed bag and I wouldn't encourage anyone to rush out to see it. Catch it on DVD. Having said that, it's probably his best acting work ever. And there are some really cool things in the movie. I absolutely hated the lighting and a lot of the cinematography. It was way too stylized for the story they were telling. I found it to be quite distracting at times. But the opening shot is a blast.

If anyone else has seen it, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I am a novice compared to most folks here when it comes to filmdom, but thanks to all the excellent suggestions, I have been expanding my horizons a bit.

Being a recent transplant to the City of Angels ;) , I thought I'd check out one of LA's unique features that is virtually unheard of anywhere else, and that is the Silent Movie Theatre. This month, they have a feature called Ozu Fridays, so wanting to do something uniquely LA, I went to it. And I was blown away.

The focus is on Japanese director Yasujiro Ozu and his films. Last week they were showing An Autumn Afternoon with There Was a Father, and wow!! These are two very powerful films.

An Autumn Afternoon is a serene meditation on aging and loneliness as well as a fine display of Ozu's wicked humour. Seeing his only daughter grow up too quickly and wanting marriage, a widower war veteran becomes painfully aware of his advanced age, the changing times around him, and his isolation in the arms of alcohol.

This is a very moving film, that subtley depicts the effects of aging and familial dynamics against the background of the strong Japanese code of family values and honor. Wonderful movie. It also showcases Ozu's wicked sense of humor. Lots of sly innuendo that is almost imperceptible if you aren't listening. :lol:

poster-AnAutumnAfternoon.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056444/

There Was a Father is about a widowed high school teacher who sacrifices everything for his son’s education, only to bring about a permanent and irreversible separation between them

This one is even more powerful than the first, with an ending that leaves you feeling emotionally spent. I loved it.

IMDb has no listing for this film but it is an awesome piece of work. I've never really watched foreign films, but I think I'm hooked now, at least on Ozu :P .

If you like foreign films (or just Japanese films), check these out. They're fantastic.

Guest AdminGuyX

SO, it's the day after thanksgiving. Black Friday. I don't usually go anywhere on black friday, and with Kelli gone that means I have a pretty quiet time of it. I've been drawing and writing today, getting some work done, and I decide to take a lunch break.

I make myself an egg and bacon bagel sandwich, grab a grape soda, and sit down to watch the tube while I chow down.

Nothing was on. I mean NOTHING.

So, I turn to the on demand channel, and start looking around.

I land on the Encore on demand section and find a film I'd never heard of called THE LOOKOUT.

All I know is it has Jospeh Gordon-Levitt and Jeff Daniels in it, and it's a crime drama.

That's enough for me. Two actors I really love (after seeing Levitt in BRICK - another cool flick, I'll watch him in just about anything) and it's a bank robbery flick, a particular favorite of mine.

About an hour in, I decide, this is NOT a bank robbery flick. This film has more in common with Nobodies Fool than it does Dog Day Afternoon.

But, those are both great films. And when the switch happens and it becomes a crime film, well, it's wonderfully done, subtle, and very smooth.

This is a movie about a local hockey star who got into a car wreck, killed two of his friends, and nearly died himself. Now he has to live with a closed head injury (something I know about as a close family member has one) and being confused and angry most of the time. Jeff Daniels plays his blind roommate and best friend, and I'm not exaggerating when I say that Daniels hits another home run.

The performances throughout are great. The movie is a bit forced, and a little ham fisted in places, but really, there is a lot of great payoff to this one if you stick it out for the last 40 minutes.

It reminded me slightly of memento, in that the lead has a bit of a fractured mind.

Levitt plays it well. He's got a lot of power on screen, and you never feel sorry for his character, you just feel for him.

I advise you don't watch the trailer so nothing is spoiled. It's not often I get to see a film that I watch knowing NOTHING about it. If you let there be, it has wonderful surprises in store for you in this flick.

And if you haven't seen BRICK yet, go fuckin' watch it already.

Also, my bagel sandwich was very good.

;)

The LOOKOUT is great. I saw it at a Q & A screening with writer/director Scott Frank before it came out. I love a lot of his work as a screenwriter and this picture was really a labor of love. It is confidently directed and wonderfully acted. Matthew Goode really stands out, as do Gordon-Leavitt and Jeff Daniels. But when it came out, no one saw it. It's really unfortunate because Joseph Gordon-Leavitt is doing such great work in pictures that no one is seeing - BRICK, THE LOOKOUT, HAVOC, STOP-LOSS.

I was lucky enough to see BRICK at the Chicago Film Festival. Rian Johnson was there for a Q & A. It didn't even have distribution yet. I saw that and HAVOC that week at the festival and was really knocked out by Joseph Gordon-Leavitt's work. He was just some kid sitcom actor to me before that. Now I consider him to be a major talent.

I'm sure everyone will see Joseph Gordon-Leavitt in G.I. JOE, but I bet his work won't be nearly as interesting as these smaller films.

Glad to hear that you discovered THE LOOKOUT!

Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father

zachxc0.png

I just saw this documentary Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father on MSNBC last night (well it was 3 am, so it was technically the morning). It's really a fucking heartbreaking movie, and being the cynical bastard that I am, even I was holding back the tears during the last 30 minutes of the movie. Everyone one should see it.

Guest AdminGuyX

Anybody remember this crazy little film?

Six String Samurai.

The star of the film, and the director were rumoured for all manner of projects after the films release, but 10 years later I don't think much happened with either of them.

Still, a really odd, but fun little flick.

One of my favorite wacked out films from another era is A Zed and Two Naughts. An early Greenaway flick (1985) about two brothers obsessed with death and decay. Worthwhile if only for the stop action work on decaying dead animals. Won't see that kind of action on CSI!

I just saw CHE, Steven Soderbergh's new film. This was the one week qualifying run for the Academy Awards. It was about 4 1/2 hours plus intermission. It was followed by a Q & A with Benicio Del Toro, Producer Laura Bickford, Writer Peter Buchman and actor Santiago Cabrera.

I've been looking forward to this film for some time. I love Soderbergh. And I was very disappointed. It's not a bad film. But I didn't find it particularly insightful and I didn't feel that I learned much about Che Guevara. Next year, this will be released as two separate films, THE ARGENTINE and GUERILLA. And I think if people go to see one, they won't necessarily be excited about seeing the other.

The first film deals with Cuba, the second with Bolivia. And both films are basically Che operating in the jungles through both revolutions. I guess with the massive running time, I was expecting something more epic where I learned about Che in the context of Cuba and Castro and Batista, but this is really a much smaller film where you are right there in the jungle with Che. It was shot on the Red camera by Soderbergh using available light and the producer said that he stretched the budget of one movie and managed to make two. You just really don't get into Che's head. I certainly didn't know anything about Che and Bolivia, so that was all new and was interesting. It chronicled the last few years of his life. But it left me wanting a lot more.

I'm glad I was able to make it to this event because it's not likely that this combined version will screen again and certainly not with the Q & A, but it really didn't deliver for me.

Benicio is great as always though.

I am supposed to see CHE, and yet I have heard from some peeps the same thing you are saying. Do you think they meant the film to turn out this way? I am a big fan of Soderbergh and Del Toro. I am going to see it anyway...I just wonder what the end result was, vision wise.

Yeah, Niles has been singing about this film for over a year now.

Still haven't been able to see it.

Any word on a region 1 DVD release?

- TB

Sounds like March 10th is the date for DVD on Let The Right One In. This is one film I've been waiting too long to see. Three months to go!

I was able to catch Let The Right One In the other day at a discount theater... I believe its not really a main stream film..from Sweden or France? Whatever the case may be.. it was awesome!! Excellent take on vampires and a nice little horror movie.

Well, I'm not sure if this film qualifies...?

I know it's 4 years later but I just watched SOMEWHERE BEYOND THE SEA, the Bobby Darin biography, done up by Kevin Spacey.

Now I've avoided this flick on purpose cause basicly...well, I'm a metal head, I do like some Sinatra and even an occasional Tony Bennett and I am very familiar with Darin's work and who he was (because I'm fucking old!) but the movie has never had appeal to me...I loved this thing, I mean LOVED it. On the other hand, my wife who, could really care less about who Bobby Darin was, HATED IT! And my daughter 17 and 3/4 years old was just freaked out by it...ah well, at least I got to enjoy a movie without their usual million questions about what just happened!...I watched it again immediatly after it ended.

I recently heard of Rod Lurie's new movie NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH thanks to a review in Entertainment Weekly. I like Rod Lurie's work, specifically THE CONTENDER and the short lived but amazing LINE OF FIRE, but this movie was not on my radar. I had never heard of it. And my radar is pretty widespread. I'm usually aware of what's been made, roughly when it's coming out, who's in it, even if I don't plan to see it.

So I search for NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH and find that it's only playing in one theater in L.A., the Mann Beverly Center which is often a dumping ground for movies. They play for a week there and go to DVD. I read a couple of positive reviews, saw who was in the cast: Kate Beckinsale, Matt Dillon, Alan Alda, Angela Bassett, Noah Wyle, Vera Farmiga, among others and decided to check it out before it was gone.

This film is amazing. And it's actually about something important. Something that resonates. It's something I'm sure I'll be thinking about for weeks to come. Alan Alda deserves an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor. He gives a speech in court that is just riveting. Kate Beckinsale does heartbreaking work in the lead role. Matt Dillon's always great. Noah Wyle is a blast as a tough lawyer. And the rest of the cast does solid work. I'm not really a David Schwimmer fan, but he does solid work here.

I have no idea why this movie hasn't been promoted and has been dumped into one theater. It's a shame. Rod Lurie's last picture, RESURRECTING THE CHAMP was a mess and bombed at the box office, so maybe that's why.

If you live in L.A. or New York, see this movie. I was literally the only person at the matinee screening I went to today. This film deserves so much better.

I left this film thinking that it was the best picture I had seen this year. Then I saw DEFIANCE two hours later. NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH is a close second. But that's another story.

I might be thinking of another film, but is Nothing But The Truth the film that is getting screwed over because the production company went backrupt? I know it's a Kate Beckinsdale film, and it recived high praise, but because of the backruptcy, there will be little or no promoting of the film and apparently they where talking Oscars for some of the folks involved, but no one is fronting the money to take out the "for your consideration" ads. That's a shame for all involved.

I guess CHE is coming to a theater here in MN as CHE part 1 and CHE part 2. Sucks that I have to buy two tickets...they better line up the showtimes so I can see one.. then 2.

I just finished Trans-Siberian. Wow. After the first couple of minutes I was sucked into the film and sitting on the edge of my seat the whole time. The film is a nicely put togethter drama about a couple makeing a return trip from a church group in Beijing, taking the Trans-Siberian train to Moscow. In-between, they (Woody Harrelson and Emily Mortimer) are caught up in some shady dealings involveing stolen drugs and money.

The film starts off dark, giving you some light moments to ease up a bit. You get to meet the couple at the last meeting of the church group, but through the course of the film, they, along with all the other characters are slowly stripped of their innocent fronts, revealing a more flawed side. Soon after all looks good, Sir Ben Kingsley is on their trail as an ex-KGB detective. The film is suspenceful for sure ( I still have sweaty hands from just seeing it a few minutes ago) some of it predicable, other times not at all. This is well worth a look.

transsiberian-movie-poster.jpg