Tim Bradstreet

Non-Mainstream Film

The Kurgan LIVES!

I would like to suggest 2 movies, both starring one of my favorite actors, Christian Bale:

Equilibrium

The Machinist

I think Equilibrium and The Machinist are both wonderful movies.

The Machinist is incredible on many levels.

And it's true, I wouldn't consider them to be mainstream films.

However, as genre fans (most of a certain younger age bracket), I'd have to think that a lot of the crew here on the boards have very likely seen these two excellent films.

I'm not bonging your suggestions by any means, but when I started the thread I guess I was aiming at films that might be a little more obscure.

Just trying to set the right tone. Please do not feel that I am in any way criticizing your suggestions. Keep 'em coming ;)

And welcome to the boards, SOTD.

- TB

I'm not bonging your suggestions by any means, but when I started the thread I guess I was aiming at films that might be a little more obscure.

Just trying to set the right tone. Please do not feel that I am in any way criticizing your suggestions. Keep 'em coming

And welcome to the boards, SOTD.

Alright, I know what you mean. I will try to think about some more obscure films :P

Thanks Tim ;)

Heheh, sorry for being an anal douche.

I think mainly I want you cats to turn ME on to shit I haven't seen before ;)

Well, that AND I hope to convert a few of the young'ins to the delights of older cinema.

- TB

Well, I like a challenge ^^

Made Men

A cool and funny crime thriller that maybe some of you haven't seen yet. Directed by Louis Morneau, written by Alfred Gough/Miles Millar and starring James Belushi. It's one of his best movies I think. Some nice twists and turns ;)

Crossroads

No, not the Britney Spears one, I mean the Blues movie from '86. I guess it's more well known, because Walter Hill directed it and it stars Ralph "Karate Kid" Macchio, but it's just damn good. The highlight is the guitar duel at the end where he plays against Steve Vai!

The Machinist was a great movie, kinda freaks me out what Christian Bale did to himself physically for the role, shows a lot of determination.

Movie Suggestion - Dead Man's Shoes

I haven't got time to write a personal review so I've copy pasted a short synopsis from IMDB, hope you don't mind.

Richard returns home from military service to a small town in the Midlands. He has one thing on his mind: revenge. Payback for the local bullies who did some very bad things to his brother. At first his campaign employs guerrilla tactics, designed to frighten the men and put them ill at ease. But then he steps up his operation, and one by one these local tough guys are picked off by the terrifying angel of vengeance that Richard has become.

dmsquad.jpg

IMDB Link - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0419677/

Night Watch (2004)

Russian sci-fi/horror

Very cool movie. It's beautiful to look at, and has a fantastic story line. The sequel Day Watch is also pretty incredible. I was very pleasantly surprised by these films.

night_watch_01.jpg

night_watch_01.jpg

The Host

Fantastic Korean Monster flick. This movie is so much fun to watch!

host_ver6.jpg

The Machinist was a great movie, kinda freaks me out what Christian Bale did to himself physically for the role, shows a lot of determination.

Movie Suggestion - Dead Man's Shoes

I haven't got time to write a personal review so I've copy pasted a short synopsis from IMDB, hope you don't mind.

Richard returns home from military service to a small town in the Midlands. He has one thing on his mind: revenge. Payback for the local bullies who did some very bad things to his brother. At first his campaign employs guerrilla tactics, designed to frighten the men and put them ill at ease. But then he steps up his operation, and one by one these local tough guys are picked off by the terrifying angel of vengeance that Richard has become.

dmsquad.jpg

IMDB Link - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0419677/

Dead Man's Shoes is a powerful film that went completely under the radar. Paddy Considine is the only actor of any real notice to an American audience.

But the cast is top, and this film is too. Chris Weston turned me onto this and he didn't steer me wrong. I picked it up on video last year and I'm very happy to have it.

To say anything more about the plot would simply give the film away. One thing is for sure, this film DESERVES to be seen by a larger audience. This is a perfect example of what this thread is all about. But don't be fooled by some of the quotes on the art displayed above. This is a much different animal than a "slasher film". If you rent this thinking it's going to be a slasher film in the vein of 28 Days Later then you may be disappointed. Either that or you will be pleasantly surprised that it's much more. That quote is just ridiculous.

See this and then wonder what Paddy Considine would have been like as Jigsaw in Warzone if Tom had stayed aboard.

- TB

Dead Man's Shoes is a powerful film that went completely under the radar. Paddy Considine is the only actor of any real notice to an American audience.

But the cast is top, and this film is too. Chris Weston turned me onto this and he didn't steer me wrong. I picked it up on video last year and I'm very happy to have it.

To say anything more about the plot would simply give the film away. One thing is for sure, this film DESERVES to be seen by a larger audience. This is a perfect example of what this thread is all about. But don't be fooled by some of the quotes on the art displayed above. This is a much different animal than a "slasher film". If you rent this thinking it's going to be a slasher film in the vein of 28 Days Later then you may be disappointed. Either that or you will be pleasantly surprised that it's much more. That quote is just ridiculous.

- TB

Personally, the ending was heartbreaking. Paddy played it so smooth and the performance came out just right. Powerful & intelligent film.

JO

More suggestions:

Talk Radio

Oliver Stone's adaptation of Eric Bogosian's play, who also plays the lead in the movie. It's about a rude, contemptuous talk show host, who becomes overwhelmed by the hatred that surrounds his program just before it goes national. Great performances by Bogosian, John C. McGinley, Alec Baldwin and Michael Wincott. A very good movie about entertainment and human nature.

Stir of Echoes

A lot of people saw The Sixth Sense, but there was something else in the same year - Stir of Echoes. Very good mystery horror thriller with Kevin Bacon. After being hypnotized by his sister in law, a man begins seeing haunting visions of a girl's ghost and a mystery begins to unfold around her. It's based on a Richard Matheson novel, but I don't know the book yet.

Desperate Measures

Very good action thriller with great performances, especially by Michael Keaton, who plays a likeable killer. Andy Garcia is a police officer, who searches for a compatible bone marrow donor for his gravely ill son. Keaton's character is his only hope. The conversations between the two are just awesome. Brian Cox and Marcia Gay Harden (The Mist) are also part of the cast ;)

Gozu

gozuel8.png

Directed by Takashi Miike

Written by Sakichi Satô

This is a Takashi Miike movie, so it's kinda fucked up. The best way to describe it is, Miike doing David Lynch.

The basic story is a man by the name of Minami who is a part of the Yakuza is made by his superiors to kill his brother Ozaki (who has become increasingly deranged). His brother is killed or believed to be dead, but Minami soon loses the body, and the movie is about his search for his brothers body, it's equally disturbing, comedic and sometimes both (soup ladle, if you watch it you'll know what I mean). The whole movie leads to a pretty fucked up ending, a real what the fuck.

gozu2of6.png

Also, check out the opening scene here, it gives a pretty good idea of how weird the movie is.

Gozu

gozuel8.png

Written by Sakichi Satô

This is a Takashi Miike movie, so it's kinda fucked up. The best way to describe it is, Miike doing David Lynch.

The basic story is a man by the name of Minami who is a part of the Yakuza is made by his superiors to kill his brother Ozaki (who has become increasingly deranged). His brother is killed or believed to be dead, but Minami soon loses the body, and the movie is about his search for his brothers body, it's equally disturbing, comedic and sometimes both (soup ladle, if you watch it you'll know what I mean). The whole movie leads to a pretty fucked up ending, a real what the fuck.

gozu2of6.png

Also, check out the opening scene here, it gives a pretty good idea of how weird the movie is.

Everytime I see that opening scene, and it's been many, I laugh so hard I cry. As horrible as it is, the execution was great.

Gozu

gozuel8.png

Written by Sakichi Satô

gozu2of6.png

Gozu is the most bizarrely disturbing movie I've ever seen in my entire life. Breast milk is evil. And JWeber, the only reason I watched the movie is because I was flipping channels and saw the opening scene- holy shit! I sat with my mouth hanging open, unable to speak for the entirety of the movie. I just couldn't look away.

Alright, since most of you here think Gozu is the most disturbing thing you've seen I have to post this.

Strange Circus

_StrangeCircus_DVD_Poster.jpg

The reality and truth beneath the Grang-Guignol nightmares Taeko creates might be too much to bear...

Watch it and be amazed.

JO

Gozu is the most bizarrely disturbing movie I've ever seen in my entire life. Breast milk is evil. And JWeber, the only reason I watched the movie is because I was flipping channels and saw the opening scene- holy shit! I sat with my mouth hanging open, unable to speak for the entirety of the movie. I just couldn't look away.

I hear you there, Amy. It's either that, or if you catch the tail end. Miike is good with mind-fucks.

I've been contemplating this for a few days whether this should be included within the subject matter... so here goes (if its out of bounds or just plain bad taste you can remove the post and here is an apology in advance).

I've included a review from IMDB that I felt best fits the context of the film -

Despite having been made back in 1982, this film has not lost any of it's impact...and living in the country where it was filmed, it hits incredibly close to home.

Before you dismiss this as another "Faces of Death" clone, complete with re-enacted scenes, be forewarned. This is real. 100% of the footage came from either TV news departments across the country, or from private collectors! You WILL see newsreel footage of people being shot to death (including one man being shot by police before the opening credits!), and disturbingly graphic descriptions of murders. There is even footage where people leave a courtroom to vomit after hearing a recording made by Lawrence "Pliers" Bittaker during the slow torture death of one of his victims.

Leonard Schrader, the older brother of director Paul Schrader, produced this film for the Japanese film market, where "death films" bring in big money. But instead of an exploitative "shockumentary" as normally expected, this is a detailed examination of how Western Civilization is slowly falling apart.

The assassinations of John and Bobby Kennedy and Martin Luther King, the attempted assassination of George Wallace, and a number of other people (Charles Whitman, David "Son of Sam" Berkowitz, John Wayne Gacy, Jim Jones, Charles Manson, Ed Kemper, Brenda "I Don't Like Mondays" Spencer, etc.) who, in their own twisted logic, saw the need to kill people, and acted upon it; all are reported here in great detail.

The film ends with a report on the murder of John Lennon, and a blunt statement that during the public memorial held in his memory, two people were shot.

No, this isn't a gross-out "video nasty", it's a hard examination of how the USA is in a slow collapse before our very eyes.

Here is one scene I found that doesn't include any graphic material but... I've never teared up or shed tears in any movie, but this one scene really got to me, enough said -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FsPyGZupzk

This film has never been released, distributed, televised nor made available for sale in the USA.

killing01jd0.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0157894/#comment

Looks pretty riveting.

Good one.

- TB

It really is riveting, once you start watching it’s in actuality hard to turn away from, I should have mentioned that this movie will stick with you for a few days, obviously that will completely depend on the individual and there tolerance to human viciousness.

Movie Title - Thursday

Personal Thoughts - I'm sure many of you have seen this before but it’s probably one the most underrated movies out there, I'd never heard of Thomas Jane before but he really won me over with his hardened criminal presence, apart from the great scenes and at times bloodcurdling characters there some uproarious scenes especially with the Rasta hit man. If you haven't had the opportunity to check it out, do so and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

thursday.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0124901/

Movie Title - Thursday

Personal Thoughts - I'm sure many of you have seen this before but it’s probably one the most underrated movies out there, I'd never heard of Thomas Jane before but he really won me over with his hardened criminal presence, apart from the great scenes and at times bloodcurdling characters there some uproarious scenes especially with the Rasta hit man. If you haven't had the opportunity to check it out, do so and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

thursday.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0124901/

There is a discussion thread for Thursday in the Thomas Jane section if you'd like to post any other thoughts about it there. Is this DVD more readily available in the UK? It's almost impossible to find in the States. I bought mine in Amazon.com marketplace and it has a Russian cover.

According to the Wikipedia page, only 1000 DVD were made available in the U.S. before Polygram/USA films went bankrupt.

There is a discussion thread for Thursday in the Thomas Jane section if you'd like to post any other thoughts about it there. Is this DVD more readily available in the UK? It's almost impossible to find in the States. I bought mine in Amazon.com marketplace and it has a Russian cover.

Sorry about that, I probably should have browsed the forum more throughly, to answer your question I've seen it around here and there, its also been on TV a few times in the past.

Sorry about that, I probably should have browsed the forum more throughly, to answer your question I've seen it around here and there, its also been on TV a few times in the past.

Nothing to be sorry about. It's definitely a non-mainstream film. And there are folks on this board who haven't seen it because it is so difficult to come by here. I just thought if you wanted to expand upon your comments about the film, the Thursday thread would be the better place to do that. I've never heard of it being on TV here.

Guest FADoss
I think Equilibrium and The Machinist are both wonderful movies.

The Machinist is incredible on many levels.

But THAT can't be true. TL has already PROVEN that Christian Bale is a "shit" actor. :)

It must have been Heath Ledger that made Equilibrium and The Machinist so good. ;)

Fred

But THAT can't be true. TL has already PROVEN that Christian Bale is a "shit" actor. :)

It must have been Heath Ledger that made Equilibrium and The Machinist so good. ;)

Fred

Christian Bale is an amazing actor with great range. Look at Harsh Times.

But Heath Ledger, in his own right, is also. You can't say one is more gifted or better than the other for the simple fact that they are different people that did different types of movies and approach a role different ways. It's just sad Heath won't be around to do the next Batman flick.

Christian Bale is one of my favorite actors and to say he has no talent simply due to the fact that most didn't like his Batman voice is complete shit. Nothing anyone says will make me feel different about this man.

JO

_he_was_a_quiet_man_ver6.jpg

Sorry to dig this up from so long ago ;) but I was really impressed with this.

It was on my to watch list because the guy what directed it, Frank Capello, wrote some of the script for Constanteen and seemed like a decent chap (he was prepared to hold his hands up to some of stuff they got wrong and didn't shirk any criticisms).

And when we came to San Francisco last year it was on the return flight.

Sadly the DVD players broke and I could not catch the end.

Anyway, back on topic.

I'll start with the most recent one to bring to your attention.

Not yet released I think so I hope it qualifies ?

Trailer Park of Terror

Inspired by a comics horror anthology, taking the central story of the narrator, Norma a trailer trash laydee who makes a deal with the devil (Trace Adkins, peeing acid in his opening scene!).

It's a genre set piece, kids with problems arrive in the trailer park on their way to Christian Boot Camp.

So far nothing special? Well it's just fun.

Imagine if Rob Zombie films were funnier and less stylised. Or if Paris Hilton's House of Wax had more likeable victims and cool demons ! It worked for me in the midst of a horror festival because it was not just shlocky and not deep and meaningful, just fun. And by the way:

l_713288e99e8262544d7c7b2909d7d2a9.jpg