Tim Bradstreet

Non-Mainstream Film

The Apple

theapplekn8.png

I don't know why I'm putting this on here, but I saw The Apple for the first time this past weekend on TCM. It's this weird disco/musical that takes place in the far off future in the year 1994, if there is any reason to see this it's for the deus ex machina ending that comes out of nowhere. Like I said it's a weird one.

16.JPG

_in_bruges.jpg

_IN20BRUGES.jpg

_in-bruges2.jpg

Plot:

Bruges, the most well-preserved medieval city in the whole of Belgium, is a welcoming destination for travellers from all over the world. But for hit men Ray and Ken, it could be their final destination; a difficult job has resulted in the pair being ordered right before Christmas by their London boss Harry to go and cool their heels in the storybook Flemish city for a couple of weeks. Very much out of place amidst the gothic architecture, canals, and cobbled streets, the two hit men fill their days living the lives of tourists. Ray, still haunted by the bloodshed in London, hates the place, while Ken, even as he keeps a fatherly eye on Ray's often profanely funny exploits, finds his mind and soul being expanded by the beauty and serenity of the city. But the longer they stay waiting for Harry's call, the more surreal their experience becomes, as they find themselves in weird encounters with locals, tourists, violent medieval art, a dwarf American actor shooting a European art film, Dutch prostitutes, and a potential romance for Ray in the form of Chloë, who may have some dark secrets of her own. And when the call from Harry does finally come, Ken and Ray's vacation becomes a life-and-death struggle of darkly comic proportions and surprisingly emotional consequences.

Written & Directed by Martin McDonagh

Cast:

Colin Farrell as Ray

Brendan Gleeson as Ken

Ralph Fiennes as Harry Waters

Elizabeth Berrington as Natalie

Clémence Poésy as Chloë

Anna Madeley as Denise

Jordan Prentice as Jimmy

Thekla Reuten as Marie

I can honestly say that I loved this film. It had laughs, action, suspense, sad moments and even some sweet ones. I have always been a fan of Colin Farrell, I know many don't like him but this film really showed me another side to his acting. I have always liked Brendan Gleeson and Ralph Fiennes also. The cinematography was really dazzling and the dialogue was top notch. Alot of improve was used and can be shown by the honest reactions from the players. I highly recommend this film.

JO

_cassandrasdreamposter.jpg

Plot:

Two London brothers are hard-up for cash, and both have girls to look out for, too. When rich Uncle Howard comes to town and agrees to help them out, he admits his finances are under investigation, and he asks them to do him a favor and "take care of" an old business relation to keep his trouble under wraps - he says that they're family, and since he always takes care of them, the least they could do is help him out this once, as they're the only ones he can trust. The film follows their struggle with the immorality of this request and how each brother chooses to deal with it.

Written & Directed by Woody Allen

Cast:

Ewan McGregor - Ian

Colin Farrell - Terry

Peter-Hugo Daly - Boat Owner

John Benfield - Father

Clare Higgins - Mother

Ashley Madekwe - Lucy

Andrew Howard - Jerry

Hayley Atwell - Angela Stark

Sally Hawkins - Kate

Score:

Phillip Glass

I'm a big Woody Allen fan, I've seen all of his films, so I know he has a light side and a dark side to his films. But this one is different, it is completely dark, almost pitch black at times. Woody has reached a new point and this film is groundbreaking in more ways than one. The acting is top notch, the cinematography is golden and the score really gets under your skin. I turned everyone at work on to the film and they all came away loving it in one shape or form simply because the film is so real, and at times it can be right down and dirty, even evil.

JO

_in_bruges.jpg

_IN20BRUGES.jpg

_in-bruges2.jpg

Plot:

Written & Directed by Martin McDonagh

Cast:

Colin Farrell as Ray

Brendan Gleeson as Ken

Ralph Fiennes as Harry Waters

JO

I have a question. I haven't seen this film yet, but I did happen to catch Colin Farrell on TV doing a couple of interviews before the film came out. But it seemed like it was in theaters for, what, maybe a week? Can you figure out why it bombed on the big screen?

I do plan on seeing it anyway, because the bits of scenes I saw during his interviews looked interesting. Apparently, only to a few.

K-skye

I wouldn't say it bombed it just had a shitty theatrical distribution. Plenty of good movies get the shaft in that respect.

I have a question. I haven't seen this film yet, but I did happen to catch Colin Farrell on TV doing a couple of interviews before the film came out. But it seemed like it was in theaters for, what, maybe a week? Can you figure out why it bombed on the big screen?

I do plan on seeing it anyway, because the bits of scenes I saw during his interviews looked interesting. Apparently, only to a few.

K-skye

It didn't come to the US for distribution because it wasn't a so called blockbuster. So it went to theaters all over the world except for US, kinda like Cassandra's Dream.

JO

I saw this movie years ago and I had forgotten about it mostly, and I just rediscovered it. It may not be for everyone but I loved it. It's a beautiful, lyrical, epic story that spans several generations and tells a haunting story with a mysterious violin as the main character.

red_violin_ver2.jpg

Directed by Francois Girard

Written by Francois Girard and Don McKellar

Score by Joshua Bell & John Corigliano

Starring Samuel L. Jackson

Greta Scacchi

Don McKellar

Jason Flemyng

A mysterious rare violin turns up on an auction block and is discovered by an appraiser of rare musical instruments (Jackson). Convinced that it is an authentic, long-lost masterpiece, he begins to research the violin's history and discovers it's long, dark, spectacular journey, and how it touched the lives of all those who touched it, from gypsies to a musical prodigy to Communist rebels in China. He eventually uncovers the shocking secrets of the violin's origin and must decide whether to reveal the truth of it or risk everything to possess it.

The movie follows the violin through several chapters of its life and tells a compelling story with a beautiful score as background. Also check out the score by Bell and Corigliano. It's amazing. It won an Oscar for Best Original score in 2000.

Mediumfan

The wife talked me into watching this one. I would have never even come close to the thing if she didn't forced me too. She's pretty damned tuff...honest! But amazing to me...I honestly enjoyed this movie. The performances are brilliant, all the way around...well Bianca was a little "stiff" but RYAN GOSLING in particular was great.

LARS and THE REAL GIRL.

http://www.larsandtherealgirl-themovie.com/

lars-wallpaper-1.jpg

Give it a chance it's charming, brilliantly acted and quirky as HELL!

The wife talked me into watching this one. I would have never even come close to the thing if she didn't forced me too. She's pretty damned tuff...honest! But amazing to me...I honestly enjoyed this movie. The performances are brilliant, all the way around...well Bianca was a little "stiff" but RYAN GOSLING in particular was great.

LARS and THE REAL GIRL.

http://www.larsandtherealgirl-themovie.com/

lars-wallpaper-1.jpg

Give it a chance it's charming, brilliantly acted and quirky as HELL!

Yes, I loved this film. Gosling is really starting to grow into quite the actor.

JO

Movie Suggestion - Renaissance

Personal Thoughts - I really enjoyed this animation for its dark emblematic visuals and moody ambiance, I'd never really seen anything like it before in terms of animation, so I guess that was an additional quality which was quiet captivating. Visually it’s a concept that’s very distinctive and mixes up sci-fi and film noire, with fascinating environments and characters.

Renaissance_poster.jpg

The trailer doesn't do justice to the actual movie but here's the trailer along with some images if your interested - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386741/

Here's the Wikipedia page for more info - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_%28film%29

Have a cool weekend.

Jamal

Renaissance, Nice add, this is a really cool movie, my brother Noeland turned me on to it and I watched it several times.

Great calls everyone.

I've been wanting to see In Bruges since i blinked and missed it in it's initial release. Listened to a great NPR interview and spotlight on it.

Cassandra's Dream also looks like it's up my alley, great poster, cool as shit design.

The Red Violin is a REMARKABLE film. If you haven't seen it, see it!

Renaissance is slick and cool as hell. I remember Noeland cueing me to it WAY back, sighting that it was like one of my illustrations come to life.

Now that is a flattering thing to hear. Renaissance is close stylistically though I doubt my work had any influence on it.

What is intriguing to me though is the thought that after seeing this I see the possibilities of animating my own work in this fashion.

That would be cool as fuck.

Now after much delay, my next film. And I'm going to stick with an older film, AGAIN!

Nicolas Roeg's fantastic 1973 Psychic Thriller, Don't Look Now.

Screenplay by Alan Scott and Chris Bryant.

Based on the story by Daphne Du Maurier.

Cinematography by Anthony B. Richmond (and of course an uncredited Nick Roeg).

Music by the legendary Pino Donaggio

Starring Donald Sutherland and Julie Christy.

Also starring Hilary Mason, and Clelia Matania.

This is a pretty good plot synopsis I lifted off IMDB that spoils nothing.

"An American architect living in Venice, Italy with his wife on a getaway after the death of their young daughter, begins to question his sanity when he begins having a series of disturbing and fragmented premonitions which coincides with a series of murders in the city."

dontlooknowart.jpg

Some people have described this film as surreal, disturbing, mind-bending. All of those descriptions are true.

Nick Roeg created something you really couldn't do in today's cinema unless you had private financing.

He tells a very personal story of a shattered couple trying to regroup after the accidental death of their daughter.

They move to Venice so John Baxter (Sutherland) can oversee the restoration of a church (cathedral) and that is where the striking visuals Roeg sets up in the film's opening come back into play, as they are grim portents to the events that unfold. Stylistically gorgeous, shot entirely on location in Venice, the cinematography is breathtaking and at times claustrophobic. Ever get lost in a labyrinthine city at night? The film's pace is methodical and easy going and may not be to the taste of today's action cinema fan. Yet it's this methodical pace that keeps the tone eerie, like you feel something bad is going to happen but you can't figure on how it will play itself out.

dontlooknow.jpg

Don't Look Now also boasts a very tender and explicit love scene between Sutherland and Christy.

Also I have to quote BornJaded from a review at IMDB cause this explains things better than I ever could - No spoilers -

"Here is a movie that's both resolved and unresolved, ultimately growing more ambiguous as it progresses and becomes more complex. After it is over and has become a complete(d) work to the eye of the viewer, the lasting impression is that of mystery. Too many films in this genre bark up the wrong tree, working to explain all of the events that unfold. By explaining nothing, by being almost abstract, questions and images will haunt the viewer indefinitely. It is what it is, and while this movie can be watched over and over, and the events that occur can be anticipated, they will forever remain an enigma. This is true cinema, purely visual and aural, without the helpful but ultimately self-defeating aid of a proxy observer; the viewer is the direct observer, and there's no filter through which the events and images develop any sort of tidy rationality."

And THIS is the very reason why you couldn't get a large studio to back a project like this today. And because of that we rarely are treated to anything truly original anymore.

This is a must see for fans of true film.

- TB

Nice call Tim, and I really think that Donald Sutherland is such an underappreciated actor. yeah some of it is his fault because of the roles he has taken as an aging actor (BEERFEST comes to mind along with his narration of THE POKEY LITTLE PUPPY...ok, pokey puppy was kinda fun...)...but when he was in his prime...my god he could just about come out of his skin to create unforgetable characters. From his HIPPIE WWII character (Sgt. Oddball, one of my favorite roles of his.) in Kelly's Heroes to John Klute in the movie KLUTE (maybe my alltime favorite performance of his.) he is really amazing.

As a side note, my wife says he is the son of the devil, because he can look so damned creepy.

I totally agree with you Tim, it would be pretty awesome to see your work come alive in an animation.

Movie Suggestion - REC

Personal Thoughts - [REC] is a Spanish horror/ thriller flick by directors Jaume Balagueró and Paco Plaza. A television reporter, Angela, is covering the night shift with a group of local fireman when they receive a call about an old woman who is suffering from hysteria in her apartment. When they arrive, they find something more uncongenial and malevolent.

Shot with the experimental “handy cam” only strengthens the experience and makes you feel as if you were there. Auspiciously, this isn’t used as a crutch for the film moreover. In fact, I find the apartment building to be another attribute in the overall trepidation in the movie. Being secluded and quarantined in such a diminutive cramped space with the infected radiates a sense of claustrophobia.

The infected themselves are reminiscent of the infected in another film I like, 28 Days Later. I am not positive if that movie influenced the certain aesthetics of the infected in this movie (Both have the “blood red” eye thing going on) but it works well considering they look very intimidating.

I'm not sure whether this is out in the states but its defiantly great to watch with your girlfriend or wife with a big bucket of pop corn, I've dropped a few links below for your viewing pleasure. I recommend watching some of the preview clips especially the "audience reactions" and the "stair case" scenes to get the feel of the movie. I wouldn't watch anything beyond that, the clips giveaway good scares so you might as well save them for when you watch the full length feature.

rec-poster.jpg

Website - http://www.recmovie.co.uk/flash/#/rec/

IMDB Link - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1038988/

Guest FADoss

So there is a film I've been raving about and I'm surprised to see I didn't post about it in this topic. The film is "The Prodigy".

l_7850d077514ba7971f35d17817386888.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/prodigymovie

Plot synopsis from IMDB:

"The Prodigy" tells the story of small-time enforcer Truman Fisher's vicious conflict with a sadistic assassin who has chosen the unwilling Truman to be his successor. The assassin, who goes by the alias Rains and whose exploits have become the source of legend among Truman's underworld colleagues, drives Truman, through the pressure of constant violence and grief, to understand his own capacity for both bloodshed and compassion. Ultimately this reveals to Truman that he as with all of us, must find our place in this world or as Rains would say "our place in this grand design." This action begins quickly as Truman meets with a turncoat from a rival gang. This tense showdown erupts quickly into mayhem, when Rains makes his unexpected entrance. In the wake of the ensuing bloodbath, Truman is forced to reevaluate his own role in the small, violent world he inhabits, suddenly aware that there are larger powers at work which he does not understand. It soon becomes obvious that the strongest of these is Rains, whose jarring introduction into Truman's life is only the first in a series of carefully calculated steps. During the course of the film, Rains, after kidnapping Truman's, boss's nephew, will force him into the role of detective, spurring Truman to assemble a rogue's gallery of underworld contacts in an effort to find his nemesis. But Rains has a more ambitious agenda than merely terrorizing minor hoods: he soon begins to threaten Truman directly, menacing Truman's love, Nicki, with whom Truman hopes to soon escape from the drab meanness of his life. Rains will also threaten Truman's few true friends and sow deadly confusion among underworld enemies and allies alike. Striking with murderous effectiveness and leaving behind few clues, Rains uses his own near-mythical reputation to cloud his presence and even his own existence. Truman struggles to find his mysterious enemy while at the same time attempting to understand why Rains has chosen him as his target-and as his inspiration.

IMDB page:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0160706/

I loved this film. Dark, gritty and with very little budget some of the BEST fight scenes I have EVER seen. THIS is what "The Punisher" should be like. Will Kaufman, Holt Boggs and Ron Balicki are a match made in HEAVEN!

Check it out and let me know what you think.

Fred

Great calls everyone.

I've been wanting to see In Bruges since i blinked and missed it in it's initial release. Listened to a great NPR interview and spotlight on it.

Cassandra's Dream also looks like it's up my alley, great poster, cool as shit design.

The Red Violin is a REMARKABLE film. If you haven't seen it, see it!

Renaissance is slick and cool as hell. I remember Noeland cueing me to it WAY back, sighting that it was like one of my illustrations come to life.

Now that is a flattering thing to hear. Renaissance is close stylistically though I doubt my work had any influence on it.

What is intriguing to me though is the thought that after seeing this I see the possibilities of animating my own work in this fashion.

That would be cool as fuck.

Now after much delay, my next film. And I'm going to stick with an older film, AGAIN!

Nicolas Roeg's fantastic 1973 Psychic Thriller, Don't Look Now.

Screenplay by Alan Scott and Chris Bryant.

Based on the story by Daphne Du Maurier.

Cinematography by Anthony B. Richmond (and of course an uncredited Nick Roeg).

Music by the legendary Pino Donaggio

Starring Donald Sutherland and Julie Christy.

Also starring Hilary Mason, and Clelia Matania.

This is a pretty good plot synopsis I lifted off IMDB that spoils nothing.

"An American architect living in Venice, Italy with his wife on a getaway after the death of their young daughter, begins to question his sanity when he begins having a series of disturbing and fragmented premonitions which coincides with a series of murders in the city."

dontlooknowart.jpg

Some people have described this film as surreal, disturbing, mind-bending. All of those descriptions are true.

Nick Roeg created something you really couldn't do in today's cinema unless you had private financing.

He tells a very personal story of a shattered couple trying to regroup after the accidental death of their daughter.

They move to Venice so John Baxter (Sutherland) can oversee the restoration of a church (cathedral) and that is where the striking visuals Roeg sets up in the film's opening come back into play, as they are grim portents to the events that unfold. Stylistically gorgeous, shot entirely on location in Venice, the cinematography is breathtaking and at times claustrophobic. Ever get lost in a labyrinthine city at night? The film's pace is methodical and easy going and may not be to the taste of today's action cinema fan. Yet it's this methodical pace that keeps the tone eerie, like you feel something bad is going to happen but you can't figure on how it will play itself out.

dontlooknow.jpg

Don't Look Now also boasts a very tender and explicit love scene between Sutherland and Christy.

Also I have to quote BornJaded from a review at IMDB cause this explains things better than I ever could - No spoilers -

"Here is a movie that's both resolved and unresolved, ultimately growing more ambiguous as it progresses and becomes more complex. After it is over and has become a complete(d) work to the eye of the viewer, the lasting impression is that of mystery. Too many films in this genre bark up the wrong tree, working to explain all of the events that unfold. By explaining nothing, by being almost abstract, questions and images will haunt the viewer indefinitely. It is what it is, and while this movie can be watched over and over, and the events that occur can be anticipated, they will forever remain an enigma. This is true cinema, purely visual and aural, without the helpful but ultimately self-defeating aid of a proxy observer; the viewer is the direct observer, and there's no filter through which the events and images develop any sort of tidy rationality."

And THIS is the very reason why you couldn't get a large studio to back a project like this today. And because of that we rarely are treated to anything truly original anymore.

This is a must see for fans of true film.

- TB

Tim, you know I love this film! You are the man! The score kicks major ass, scratch that, everything about the film is gold.

JO

A mans awakens to find himself alone in the world.

_q.jpg

_qu.jpg

Zac Hobson wakes up to find that he is the only person left on Earth...or so it appears.

Who else loves this film?

JO

I've been meaning to check out The Quiet Earth for the longest time.

GREAT CALL!

I love this movie.

It's a definite precursor on some levels to 28 Days Later. Without the Zombies.

- TB

A mans awakens to find himself alone in the world.

_q.jpg

_qu.jpg

Zac Hobson wakes up to find that he is the only person left on Earth...or so it appears.

Who else loves this film?

JO

GREAT CALL!

I love this movie.

It's a definite precursor on some levels to 28 Days Later. Without the Zombies.

- TB

Ah NZ classic. Amidst the Bruno as Brando phase. Also before Geoff Murphy lost the plot. Bruno has such a strange enchanting and yet repulsive prescence about himself. Make sure you watch UTU as well.

Incidently the Satellite dishes are still standing - at Warkworth about 40 minutes north of Auckland. The rodeo neon sign on Queen street isn't.

Andrew

Guest AdminGuyX

Tim, I think animating your work in the style of Renaissance would be just about the coolest thing ever. I just rewatched this flick as it's showing on Encore this month, and fell in love all over again. Such a stunning visual film.

I wanted to add The Passion of Darkly Noon to the list if it hasn't been already.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114099/

Njc------

I'm reaching back into the early 80's with my next offering . . .

Sandwiched in between the second and third entries in George A. Romero's quintessential "Living Dead" trilogy he offered fans a real gem of a little film called . . .

Knightriders.

knightriders_cover.jpg

Written and Directed by George A. Romero

Cinematography by Michael Gornick (Martin, Dawn Of The Dead, Day Of The Dead, Creepshow)

Score by Donald Rubinstein

Starring

Ed Harris - King William (Billy)

Tom Savini - Morgan

Brother Blue - Merlin

Ken Foree - Little John

Gary Lahti - Alan

Amy Ingersoll - Linet

Christine Forrest - Angie

Warner Shook - Pippin

Patricia Tallman - Julie

John Hostetter - Tuck

Martin Ferrero - Bontempi

Cameo by Stephen King

knightriders1.jpg

Knightriders is for me, a truly unforgettable film. I screened it last weekend for Jim Daly while we were hanging out in the studio finishing up Bad Planet #6.

It's one of my comfort movies. I have huge affinity for this film, and when you have such a personal love for something you really do wonder if it's just you, or if it has the same effect on other people. Luckily, Jim thought it was awesome, and we talked about it at length after viewing it. I love turning people on to great movies.

Glad you dug it Jim!!!

Yeah, so I kind of had to add it to our list. It's a perfect candidate.

I missed this film during it's theatrical run (not sure how widely it was released). I first saw the film on Beta, WAY back in the early 80's.

Ed Harris was a struggling young actor with one lead role to his credit when he landed this film. Harris displays his trademark commitment, intensity, and talent, magnificently. He is the anchor of this movie. I'd previously seen him in Creepshow, and The Right Stuff, but after viewing Knightriders I KNEW this guy was something special.

The rest of the cast is wonderful, mostly packed full of Romero regulars, Savini, Foree, Forrest, Joseph Pilato, etc . . .

Knightriders is undeniably a personal film, about a troupe of traveling performers who try to live by a code, modeling their values on Arthurian legend.

There is plenty of action and some pretty amazing stunts. The main draw is the jousting competitions, with horses being replaced by motorcycles.

The troupe is made up of misfits and outcasts, all drawn to what Billy has created.

Savini is really fun as Morgan, the ego-filled "Black Knight", who want's to be King. Brother Blue is magical as Merlin, the troupe's doctor and Billy's mentor. The characterizations and the performances are very natural and well acted.

knightriders.jpg

This film is early Romero so you know it's low budget, but it really works. The idea itself might seem somewhat campy but it is anything but.

I don't want to spoil this with giving away too much plot. Just rent the fucker, hell, BUY the thing. You can usually find it pretty cheap.

Some complain that it's a bit long at 145 minutes, but I say to hell with that. For me it's a film I never want to end ;)

Technically the film is very solid. The cinematography is pretty nice, and the rural Pennsylvania countryside is beautiful to look at.

knightriders22.jpg

Kightriders has a special place in my movie collection. For me it's one of Romero's very best films.

Also of note here is the excellent movie poster design by Boris Vallejo, which is what initially drew me into picking the film up in the first place.

If you want to learn more about it before you see it check out the user comments on the IMDB page.

- TB

Knightriders is for me, a truly unforgettable film. I screened it last weekend for Jim Daly while we were hanging out in the studio finishing up Bad Planet #6.

It's one of my comfort movies. I have huge affinity for this film, and when you have such a personal love for something you really do wonder if it's just you, or if it has the same effect on other people. Luckily, Jim thought it was awesome, and we talked about it at length after viewing it. I love turning people on to great movies.

- TB

I have to agree. Knightriders is nothing short of an understated opus. The thing I love about Romero in his writing and direction is the way that he isolates a group of people and explores the relationships. There are similar themes running through all of his work, but Knightriders runs faithfully because it comes across so pure and devoid in that it is a genre film without being a genre film. It rises above that.

Big thing for me is Savini in this production. He has depth and range as do all the characters. Harris as always is brilliant, and the ensemble cast really carries it on sincere level.

Double thumbs up.

Andrew

I would like to suggest 2 movies, both starring one of my favorite actors, Christian Bale:

Equilibrium

It's a very cool sci-fi action-thriller, clearly inspired and influenced by things like 1984 or Brave New World in terms of theme. Kurt Wimmer finds a good balance between the action and the drama of the story. The action scenes and the effects are very well done, despite the low budget. Good camera work by Dion Beebe and a nice score by Klaus Badelt. Bale's performance is great and there are short, but nice roles for Sean Bean and William Fichtner.

The Machinist

A dramatic mystery-thriller that deals with guilt in a very interesting way. It's a small cast, but strong performances by Michael Ironside, Jennifer Jason Leigh and especially Christian Bale, who lost like 60 pounds for the role and went on to do Batman Begins after this. The pace is not very high, there isn't a lot of action, yet it never gets tedious. The story and the characters are interesting enough. Brad Anderson and his crew did a great job.