Tim Bradstreet

Non-Mainstream Film

I just bought Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang the other day, I'm probably gonna be watching it tomorrow.

Shane Black + Robert Downey Jr., you can't go wrong with that shit.

I just bought Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang the other day, I'm probably gonna be watching it tomorrow.

Shane Black + Robert Downey Jr., you can't go wrong with that shit.

This has been sitting on my netflix queue for a while, since I read somewhere that it was really good even though it didn't do well in theaters. I guess I'll have to pop it up closer to the top.

Also, Mfan, I added Human Nature to the queue. I had never heard of this film before, but your description piqued my interest. :)

K=skye

Also, Mfan, I added Human Nature to the queue. I had never heard of this film before, but your description piqued my interest.

K=skye

Great. Hope you like it. Lemme know what you think. I love that movie.

Mediumfan

Botched

botchedow4.png

Botched is a great little horror/comedy I found. I'm cutting and pasting the plot, because I'm a lazy fuck. But you know check out the fucking trailers, they'll get across what the movie is about better.

Botched Trailer 2

Richie Donovan is a professional thief whose luck has just run out. The only survivor from a heist that goes terribly wrong, Richie is forced to take the blame and is sent to Russia to steal a priceless antique cross locked in a safe on the penthouse floor of a Moscow skyscraper. Things start badly and go rapidly downhill when, during the robbery, Richie and his Russian accomplices are forced to take hostages because they are trapped by the police on the unused 13th floor.

Botched

botchedow4.png

Botched is a great little horror/comedy I found. I'm cutting and pasting the plot, because I'm a lazy fuck. But you know check out the fucking trailers, they'll get across what the movie is about better.

Botched Trailer 2

Richie Donovan is a professional thief whose luck has just run out. The only survivor from a heist that goes terribly wrong, Richie is forced to take the blame and is sent to Russia to steal a priceless antique cross locked in a safe on the penthouse floor of a Moscow skyscraper. Things start badly and go rapidly downhill when, during the robbery, Richie and his Russian accomplices are forced to take hostages because they are trapped by the police on the unused 13th floor.

YES! I love this film. I can't help but laught when the kid is at the elevator waiting for the cops to come and then the doors slide open and....

JO

It's a fun little movie, though the DVD sucks. I actually would've like to have seen at least a commentary track for this.

I'm guessing it would be okay to talk about Solaris here since I don't think it did that well at the box office.

Yes, I did finally watch this flick. After it came up in discussion somewhere on the forum, my curiosity got the better of me.

Actually, I liked this story very much. It was a bit confusing toward the end though. Listening to the commentary cleared one scene up for me, but you shouldn't need to listen to the commentary to understand parts of a film. Though the pacing may seem slow to some folks (I'm guessing it would drive Fred crazy), I enjoyed that. It built up the atmosphere of the story and gave my brain time to take it all in and acclimate to the story. The CGI, sets, lighting and musical score all worked together well. I can understand why some folks would not like the end, though, since there are a lot of loose ends and unanswered questions that are left for the viewer to ponder. We generally aren't used to that.

The biggest surprise for me was George Clooney's performance. There was none of the usual smurky stuff. He does not do well when the camera is trained on him when he is just listening, (It would be okay to blink once in a while, George, if nothing else.) but that was very uncommon in this film. We either see things from his pov or we see him interacting with the other characters. Really, IMO his performance here is much better than that in Michael Clayton, which just reinforces my feeling that most of the nominees are the result of lobbying by studios.

An interesting twist on a story of love and forgiveness.

Thanks for the recommendation, Tim.

K-skye

You're very welcome Kwiat -

One of the very reasons I started this thread was to get people to check these films out.

I'm always getting calls from friends who are standing in a video store wondering what the fuck they should rent. I know, I'll call Tim, he'll get me outta here with something I want to watch. . . Now I just say, read the Non-Mainstream film thread on my forum ;)

I'm jazzed you liked the film Kwiat, I hope my little message put you in the right frame of mind.

Medium fan - Please see the whole film. I always chide my wife for starting to watch a film in the middle, or after it's already begun.

To me it just kills the entire experience. I'm guilty too sometimes but never with anything I REALLY have to see.

There is only one way to really watch a film (big screen or on Vid), from beginning to end in one sitting.

Don't cheat yourself!

- TB

Agreed. My head of security at work told me "I watch the last 30-45 minutes of a film and if I like it, I watch the whole thing later." What the fuck kind of film watcher does that? His excuse is that he's too busy with the baby girl and work. Fine. I understand that. Don't watch the movie then until you have the time to watch the whole fucking thing!!!

Two things bother the fucking shit out of me:

1. Watching a film you haven't seen before in the middle or end.

2. Watching a sequel before the prequel.

I'll also add that I will never watch a film I haven't seen before on a small tv. Like Street, I prefer to watch it in a theater or on my big screen (65 inch widescreen, very nice even though Tim's and Jane's tv's probably shit all over mine.)

-Raffi

The Mosquito Coast(1986) directed by Peter Weir starring Harrison Ford, Helen Mirren, and River Phoenix. This film is based on a novel by Paul Theroux. Harrison stated that this is personally his favorite film that he has starred in due to the fact that this fits his personality and character as a human being more than any of his other films does. I think that this is an incredibly underrated film and that people should give this a chance. It really is a good film. I like it so much because his character Allie Fox reminds me much of my father. Getting things done on your own and living the way you think is right. I don't wanna spoil too much here. I'd like you all to be the judge yourself. Definitely give this one a shot. It's well worth it.

61811-large.jpg

The Mosquito Coast(1986) directed by Peter Weir starring Harrison Ford, Helen Mirren, and River Phoenix. This film is based on a novel by Paul Theroux. Harrison stated that this is personally his favorite film that he has starred in due to the fact that this fits his personality and character as a human being more than any of his other films does. I think that this is an incredibly underrated film and that people should give this a chance. It really is a good film. I like it so much because his character Allie Fox reminds me much of my father. Getting things done on your own and living the way you think is right. I don't wanna spoil too much here. I'd like you all to be the judge yourself. Definitely give this one a shot. It's well worth it.

61811-large.jpg

Favorite of mine. Such a shame about River, he had promise.

JO

Agreed. My head of security at work told me "I watch the last 30-45 minutes of a film and if I like it, I watch the whole thing later." What the fuck kind of film watcher does that? His excuse is that he's too busy with the baby girl and work. Fine. I understand that. Don't watch the movie then until you have the time to watch the whole fucking thing!!!

Two things bother the fucking shit out of me:

1. Watching a film you haven't seen before in the middle or end.

2. Watching a sequel before the prequel.

I'll also add that I will never watch a film I haven't seen before on a small tv. Like Street, I prefer to watch it in a theater or on my big screen (65 inch widescreen, very nice even though Tim's and Jane's tv's probably shit all over mine.)

-Raffi

Dude, you must have me confused with Alex Ross. I'm just a poor struggling artist.

I have a 14 year old 27" Samsung in my studio. I don't even watch it anymore, I watch films on my 13" powermac laptop.

Unless I'm in the living room, and then I watch movies on an 8 year old 32" tube.

I would kill for a nice big flatscreen HD.

But before I can get one I need a new computer and scanner.

uhg.

- TB

PS - I second and third the Mosquito Coast suggestion.

EXCELLENT film. Underrated as hell.

I love how James talks about River, like he wasn't 2 years old when River died ;)

Sorry James, you were probably 7 or 8 . . .

Promise nothing, River was the real deal. Just watch Little Nikita, My Own Private Idaho, Dogfight, or my personal favorite, Running On Empty.

He delivered on that promise during the short time he was around. It still breaks my heart that he's gone.

I just watched Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade the other night. Hadn't seen it in 10 years.

I was watching River in the prologue and feeling very nostalgic.

He had more talent and charisma than 99.9% of the up and comers of today.

Young actors like that come around so very rarely.

Your still a champ in my book buddy.

I forgot to add that I watch movies on my laptop too. I can handle that because it's 2 feet in front of my face. My 65" Toshiba is about 9 or 10 years old but it's still a winner. I'll buy you a tv as soon as I move to L.A. big guy. Gimmie like 2 years ;)

You haven't seen Last Crusade in 10 years? Shame Shame. That's the very first film I ever remember seeing. It's my favorite film of all time. I know every single line of dialogue in that film. EVERY SINGLE LINE. River was amazing in that film. I was only a year old when the film was released! While we're on this note, this is another film everybody needs to watch or re-watch. If you don't like this film, you are my enemy.

Movie-Poster-Indiana-Jones-and-the-The-Last-Crusade.jpg

Favorite of mine. Such a shame about River, he had promise.

JO

I agree very much. I think that River had Oscar written all over his future. Much like how I feel about Heath Ledger. It's unfortunate but what can we do now?

dead_man_ver1.jpg

Heading towards a new job and a new future at the end of the world, the very young accountant by the name of William Blake sets foot in a town of machine where booze flows constantly and the men are vicious. He has set foot in purgatory. Blake arrives in Machine after a demented, tireless train ride through what may be his own self. Spanning the beauty of epic horizons, dead wild life and shrinking forests, but ends up in hell. His frailty is evident: alone, without a living heir, struggling to make his way amidst the freaks and grim destination that awaits. As expected, the town itself begs no welcome, as the rumors prove true, and leave Blake face to face with the his new found destiny. From this point on, Blake embarks on his surrealistic journey into nothingness, as he becomes a marked man running from nearly everyone and everything. Trusting in a Native friend Nobody, the descent into Blake's rejection is filled with the realities of a truly inescapable destiny. As such, the notions of ill fate and bad luck are separately defined alongside each other. Soon Blake learns to cope with the life on the road and the life that he never knew. He soon becomes a poet with a gun.

Johnny Depp ... William Blake

Gary Farmer ... Nobody

Crispin Glover ... Train Fireman

Lance Henriksen ... Cole Wilson

Michael Wincott ... Conway Twill

Eugene Byrd ... Johnny 'The Kid' Pickett

John Hurt ... John Scholfield

Robert Mitchum ... John Dickinson

Iggy Pop ... Salvatore 'Sally' Jenko

Gabriel Byrne ... Charlie Dickinson

Jared Harris ... Benmont Tench

Mili Avital ... Thel Russell

I love this film, I'm a huge fan. I'm Native American and alot of our mythology is present here and told the way it should be. In fact the film is right down and dirty. The fact of the matter is that the film is up for anyone to come up with their own interpretation. I have mine and it is based mostly on the facts that are presented and the myths from my family. Either way this film is beautifully shot, and did I mention that it's in black & white?

JO

Kudos on the Dead Man suggestion James. It's one of my favorite films.

I'm a huge Jarmusch fan,and his fingerprints and stylistic approach are all over this.

You give a good account but how could you not mention the amazing score (it's all accoustic) by Neil Young?

Dead Man is a film like no other, and that's a good thing.

"Stupid fucking white man."

- TB

I agree very much. I think that River had Oscar written all over his future. Much like how I feel about Heath Ledger. It's unfortunate but what can we do now?

Yep and remember, he was nominated in 1989 as best supporting actor for Running On Empty.

Kevin Kline won for A Fish Called Wanda.

It was argued that Phoenix deserved to be nominated as a lead actor, not supporting, since he was the lead.

But I think age played into it for some stupid reason. ROE was an ensemble piece, but so was Mississippi Burning, for which Gene Hackman was nominated as lead actor.

Same can be said of Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man (he shared the screen with Cruise for every shot he's in).

Academy voters probably thought he had a better chance of winning in the best supporting category.

But look who he was up against -

Winner

Fish Called Wanda, A (1988) - Kevin Kline

Other Nominees:

Little Dorrit (1988) - Alec Guinness

Married to the Mob (1988) - Dean Stockwell

Running on Empty (1988) - River Phoenix

Tucker: The Man and His Dream (1988) - Martin Landau

That's some stiff competition.

Kline and Phoenix were filming the movie I Love You to Death (1990). Sitting in the audience, Phoenix applauded enthusiastically when his co-star's name was announced as the winner.

And while we're on the subject of Leaf Phoenix's older brother, let us not forget the incredible gem that is Stand By Me.

- TB

Stand by Me was the shit. My sister actually watched it in high school back in the day. Very memorable film with an unforgettable young cast.

Chris: How do you know if a Frenchman has been in your backyard?

Teddy: Hey, I'm French, all right?

Chris: Your garbage cans are empty and your dog's pregnant.

Teddy: Didn't I just say I'm French?

-Raffi

Kudos on the Dead Man suggestion James. It's one of my favorite films.

I'm a huge Jarmusch fan,and his fingerprints and stylistic approach are all over this.

You give a good account but how could you not mention the amazing score (it's all accoustic) by Neil Young?

Dead Man is a film like no other, and that's a good thing.

"Stupid fucking white man."

- TB

I didn't forget about the score, I own it and listen to it constantly. Neil Young is the man. It is so raw and dirty, it just makes you feel like you're there.

JO

Yep and remember, he was nominated in 1989 as best supporting actor for Running On Empty.

Kevin Kline won for A Fish Called Wanda.

It was argued that Phoenix deserved to be nominated as a lead actor, not supporting, since he was the lead.

But I think age played into it for some stupid reason. ROE was an ensemble piece, but so was Mississippi Burning, for which Gene Hackman was nominated as lead actor.

Same can be said of Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man (he shared the screen with Cruise for every shot he's in).

Academy voters probably thought he had a better chance of winning in the best supporting category.

But look who he was up against -

Winner

Fish Called Wanda, A (1988) - Kevin Kline

Other Nominees:

Little Dorrit (1988) - Alec Guinness

Married to the Mob (1988) - Dean Stockwell

Running on Empty (1988) - River Phoenix

Tucker: The Man and His Dream (1988) - Martin Landau

That's some stiff competition.

Kline and Phoenix were filming the movie I Love You to Death (1990). Sitting in the audience, Phoenix applauded enthusiastically when his co-star's name was announced as the winner.

And while we're on the subject of Leaf Phoenix's older brother, let us not forget the incredible gem that is Stand By Me.

- TB

Running On Empty is my favorite River film besides My Own Private Idaho, I also liked Explorers which is another underrated film of his. Stand By Me & Mosquito Coast are just amazing. 'Nuff said.

JO

Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead

POULTRYGEIST.jpg

This is a movie I've wanting to see for a good while now, and I was able to see through a friend who acquired a bootleg of it (I don't watch bootlegs, but knowing Troma it'll be another 2 years before this thing get released on DVD, but once it hits DVD I'm purchasing this fucker). But, this is a sick and fun movie, it's a horror/musical/comedy satirizing the fast food industry. Like I said it's a Troma movie so it's filled with the crass humor, wet stuff, tits and lesbians (it just wouldn't be a Troma movie if it didn't have these things). I'd say this is Llyod Kaufman's magnum opus, so keep an eye out for this one. Check out the trailer.

Did you mean that literally?

I did, it's a genuinely fun albeit crass horror/comedy/musical. And you know it is a Troma movie, so it's not high art, but it is so fucking fun.