Tim Bradstreet

Non-Mainstream Film

Guest AdminGuyX

I watched a Korean film called "Sector 7" on Netflix last week. It reminded me of Deep Blue Sea a little. What really grabbed me was the art direction and the sets. The female lead was pretty good. Had a lot of CGI in it, but it was used in a way that didn't detract from the film.

This is a fun thread! I’ve seen many of the previous suggestions. Lots of great films. I can't remember if I raved about this film or not, but here's a goody:

* BENEATH THE DARK * (2010)

Mystery, Thriller

Written & Directed By

Chad Feehan

Cast

Josh Stewart…………….Paul

Jamie-Lynn Sigler………Adrienne

Chris Browning…………Frank

Angela Featherstone…….Sandy

Afemo Omilami………..The Man

Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwUKsdGo6ZM

NOT RATED

Chilling. Riveting. Shocking.

I only wanted to see this film in order to see Chris Browning in a bigger role; his part turns out being a large, tasty slice of a dark & twisted pie. Browning’s performance alone makes it a must-see. I got turned onto Josh Stewart after seeing it and have been paying attention to him ever since. The story is compelling, & the performances are strong. There are a lot of great, weird moments & disturbing secrets uncovered along the way. It has an Oh-My-So-Brilliant ending!

gonna check that out. is that Chris Browning from our film??

Excellent! I hope you enjoy it, Tom. Yes, that Chris Browning is indeed your Dark Country “Stranger.” :D He's magnificent!

...looks good Indie.

Some that have come to mind:

GREAT EXPECATIONS (1998), MONSTER'S BALL (2001), IN THE BEDROOM (2001), THE GOOD GIRL ( 2002),THE DIARY OF A MAD BLACK WOMAN (2005)...

Forgot about this one I had just seen recently...

Based on true a true story. THE INTOUCHABLES (2011)

a well done film about a gaudriplegic and his caretaker... funny and heart warming :)

This is a fun thread! I’ve seen many of the previous suggestions. Lots of great films. I can't remember if I raved about this film or not, but here's a goody:

* BENEATH THE DARK * (2010)

Mystery, Thriller

Written & Directed By

Chad Feehan

Cast

Josh Stewart…………….Paul

Jamie-Lynn Sigler………Adrienne

Chris Browning…………Frank

Angela Featherstone…….Sandy

Afemo Omilami………..The Man

Trailer

NOT RATED

Chilling. Riveting. Shocking.

I only wanted to see this film in order to see Chris Browning in a bigger role; his part turns out being a large, tasty slice of a dark & twisted pie. Browning’s performance alone makes it a must-see. I got turned onto Josh Stewart after seeing it and have been paying attention to him ever since. The story is compelling, & the performances are strong. There are a lot of great, weird moments & disturbing secrets uncovered along the way. It has an Oh-My-So-Brilliant ending!

Cool, thanks Indie!

I like me some Josh Stewart (from ABC's "No Ordinary Family") - he even made The Collector watchable - that's one for this list, too. ;)

...looks good Indie.

Some that have come to mind:

GREAT EXPECATIONS (1998), MONSTER'S BALL (2001), IN THE BEDROOM (2001), THE GOOD GIRL ( 2002),THE DIARY OF A MAD BLACK WOMAN (2005)...

I think you'd enjoy Beneath the Dark. It's really good.

In the Bedroom is such a sad film; I really liked it. I watched it without knowing about the storyline. I’m a big fan of both Nick Stahl & William Mapother, but I didn’t care for Mapother’s character because….well, you know why. <_<

Cool, thanks Indie!

I like me some Josh Stewart (from ABC's "No Ordinary Family") - he even made The Collector watchable - that's one for this list, too. ;)

You're welcome, jayesse8! Yeah, I remember seeing Stewart on No Ordinary Family. I only watched the show a couple of times, though.

* MUSIC WITHIN * (2007)

Biography, Comedy, Drama

Written By

Brett McKinney, Mark Andrew Olsen, & Kelly Kennemer

Directed By

Steven Sawalich

Cast

Ron Livingston………….Richard

Melissa George………….Christine

Michael Sheen…………..Art

Yul Vazquez…………….Mike Stoltz

Rebecca De Mornay…….Richard’s Mom

Hector Elizondo…………Dr. Padrow

Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM5uXgbg4QM&playnext=1&list=PL58888E75EC012637&feature=results_video

Rated R

Beautiful. Moving. Inspiring. This film is based on a true story about Richard Pimentel, a man who found his life’s calling after he was deafened by a bomb blast in Vietnam. He then becomes a disability rights activist and a strong advocate for the passage of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Ron Livingston is superb. While I love many of Livingston’s movies (I could listen to his voice forever), the role of Richard is by far my most favorite. Yeah, I am just that into him. ;) All actors, even many of the best, need to take note of Michael Sheen’s performance of portraying a man with cerebral palsy. You won’t want to take your eyes off of him. Plus, he says many hilarious lines, so you‘ll also want to listen to everything that comes out of his mouth. The movie is the perfect combination of sad & funny. If you watch it, make sure you have a tissue handy. This movie will stay with you for a long time; I can’t stop thinking about it. Music Within is one of those rare magnificent films with a meaning.

Guest AdminGuyX

Watched a UK flick called "The Veteran" on Netflix. I liked it. It was not a feel good film by any stretch. It was a bleak film. Was a bit of a slow burn at first, and it had some anti-war dialogue that really just stood out, but still a decent thriller with a good ending.

* BRICK * (2005)

Mystery, Neo-noir Thriller

Written & Directed By

Rian Johnson

Cast

Joseph Gordon-Levitt…….Brendan

Nora Zehetner……………....Laura

Noah Fleiss………………....Tugger

Matt O’Leary……………......The Brain

Noah Segan………………....Dode

Meagan Good…………….....Kara

Emilie de Ravin…………......Emily

Richard Roundtree………....Assistant V.P. Trueman

Lukas Haas……………….....The Pin

Trailer (NOTE: posted as a viewing option; I saw this movie without watching its trailer, so going into it blind might’ve enhanced my experience)

Rated R for violent and drug content

Interesting detecitve story. Smart & poetic dialogue. Even funny at times. Colorful characters. Great music. Realistic acting. After watching Looper, I had to see this movie. I was impressed by the style/transitions/quick-cut editing/etc. The ending is a little so-so for me, yet I feel that everything leading up to it stands out enough that I don’t feel as if it’s a waste to watch. It will keep you guessing.

I've always liked BRICK. It was the first time I had seen Joseph Gordon-Levitt in something where I thought he could carry a film. Now look at him. The guy is good.

great sci fi sort film called 'R'HA'....found it on comicbookmovie.com. take a look!

thanks guys(indiechickflick, and jweber) went out hunting for dvds yesterday...found BRICK for 2.99! great little flick! thanks! oh do you remember this one VERY BAD THINGS...had to get it, it's the oringinal the hangover movie(to me) also 2.99. cheers

I've always liked BRICK. It was the first time I had seen Joseph Gordon-Levitt in something where I thought he could carry a film. Now look at him. The guy is good.

Joe is such a multi-talented individual. I don’t think there’s anything he can’t do, which is an expression I literally mean about him.

thanks guys(indiechickflick, and jweber) went out hunting for dvds yesterday...found BRICK for 2.99! great little flick! thanks! oh do you remember this one VERY BAD THINGS...had to get it, it's the oringinal the hangover movie(to me) also 2.99. cheers

Yay! You’re welcome for the Brick recommendation! I want to say I spent slightly less than $2.99 for it. :P

Yes, I do recall Very Bad Things being a very good movie. Quite a cast too! I remember seeing it mainly because of Jeremy Piven, who was a bit underrated until Entourage.

Joe is such a multi-talented individual. I don’t think there’s anything he can’t do, which is an expression I literally mean about him.

Yay! You’re welcome for the Brick recommendation! I want to say I spent slightly less than $2.99 for it. :P

Yes, I do recall Very Bad Things being a very good movie. Quite a cast too! I remember seeing it mainly because of Jeremy Piven, who was a bit underrated until Entourage.

thanks again...it's funny cos i don't know anyone else that likes very bad things or likes it! great minds! great cast!

thanks again...it's funny cos i don't know anyone else that likes very bad things or likes it! great minds! great cast!

You're welcome, again. ;) I tend to like what others overlook. Actually, it wasn't until I joined RAW that I found out other people, besides my family, share my movie interests.

You're welcome, again. ;) I tend to like what others overlook. Actually, it wasn't until I joined RAW that I found out other people, besides my family, share my movie interests.

you are so cool!

you are so cool!

Thank you, sinn! :D You're so awesome, yourself.

Yeah i rented it the other night,it was really well done..Paceing was nice and tight it did'nt wander to much and I really dug the ending..JGL was awesome in it!..

Rian just came out with LOOPER - time travel flicks are ...tricky. anybody see it?

speaking of time travel - PRIMER anyone?

I love Looper! Whether going back to the past or forward (& back) to the future, the topic of time travel fascinates me.

I’ve never seen Primer. I'll have to check it out.

Rian just came out with LOOPER - time travel flicks are ...tricky. anybody see it?

speaking of time travel - PRIMER anyone?

holy shit! i've been trying to remember the name of this film for awhile! primer was great! it got raves, thats how i came across it... was gonna be re made with a budget... if anyone can find it...watch it!!!