Tim Bradstreet

Films we love, The Movie biz in General

Milius is brilliant. I still however would have loved to have seen the earlier Oliver Stone draft produced complete with its Dante's Inferno inspired legions of beasts. Would have also been interesting to see what sort of style he would have taken with direction. That being said I adore Milius and wouldn't second guess any decision he made.

DESTROYER on the other hand was a terrible waste. And let's not start on RED SONJA - won't put all the blame on Fleischer's direction, both are faulted by shall I say it - comic book style writing. The characters are flat with no defined reality. Whereas in the hands of Milius and Stone as influenced by Howard and Frazetta characters become pardon the pun - flesh and blood. Comparing DESTROYER to BARBARIAN is like comparing SUPERGIRL to SUPERMAN.

What I mean in terms of comic book style writing is the neccesary translation from one medium to another - the same adaptation as required in going from novel to film. The director needs to believe in the characters and environment as credible entities Milius did that with Conan, as Donner did with Superman

Andrew

Bravo, Applause, and another Bravo!

And Andrew, the Dante's Inferno bit would have been cool no doubt.

But I think cutting it allowed them to spend in other areas and have a more solid film.

Too bad they didn't have another 2-5 Million at the time.

- TB

Noeland how could you not like ROBOCOP 2? Irvin "Empire Strikes Back" Kershner's master sequel? With the score by Leonard Rosenman?

I liked Robo 2, who coulnd't resist robots beating the shit out of each other, PLUS, it's not CG'd! Over all, it's not as good as the first, but it's still a good time.

Did anyone catch Frank Miller's Robocop that came out a few years back? I guess the comic is from Frank's original script for the film. It's a good read, check it out if you have a chance.

He's funny in that film. When he's talking about working out and getting the pump. That scene is hilarious.

JO

I truly love this film because it taught me about competition, tenacity and drive. Arnold held nothing back; I was really happy when he went into film because I wanted to see him again.

Another Arnold fave of mine is Kindergarten Cop!

I forgot to mention that.

He seemed more charming and personable and he is hilarious around children.

Let's see...my personal AH-NOLD faves...

-T2: watched it so many times on vhs as a kid, and it never ceased to amaze me.

-Predator

-Conan: I thought that this was his best work to date, in spite of his other memorable roles and certain movies that fizzled

-Commando

Good news from Cannes, John Carpenter has received the "Golden Coach" award today. I honestly didn't know it existed until today. I'll die less idiot now.

I think it's a good news because Cannes seems to shake up the dust a little bit. It is recognizing a genre that was not in the spotlight at all during the past decades in this festival.

Plus the opening today with the zombies of Jim Jarmusch! Saw a pic of Iggy Pop, looks like he had fun...

8 hours ago, Enaira said:

Good news from Cannes, John Carpenter has received the "Golden Coach" award today. I honestly didn't know it existed until today. I'll die less idiot now.

I think it's a good news because Cannes seems to shake up the dust a little bit. It is recognizing a genre that was not in the spotlight at all during the past decades in this festival.

Plus the opening today with the zombies of Jim Jarmusch! Saw a pic of Iggy Pop, looks like he had fun...

Thats is good news and I wasnt aware of that either but if anyone deserves it, its John Carpenter!

As for Iggy, Im sure he has fun wherever he goes!