Tim Bradstreet

Films we love, The Movie biz in General

Films, Actors, Actresses, Directors, Cinematographers, Makeup FX, whatever floats your boat.

I've noticed a lot of topics derailing into complete other topics on this subject.

The Sunshine thread LEAPS to mind . . .

I may be moving some of those types of derail posts here in the future.

I'll let folks know whenever there is a move.

So without further set up, let us begin.

- TB

Well...my apologies if I have derailed anything.

Let it begin.

I'm in the mood to talk S C H W A R Z E N E G G E R...

I think he shoulda been part of that art piece we were going nuts over in the RAW BAR (still are).

Street, COMMANDO hasn't improved for you after its 23rd birthday. I bought the Extended Version 6 months ago after not having seen the film since I bought the VHS in 1999 that came with the Schwarzenegger Collection. The movie still blew me the fuck away, and with the added gore it was like watching it for the first time again.

Matrix was designed to counter Rambo. Martial arts expert, Green Beret Colonel (his own boss), 230 lbs. SOLID at 6'2", body count of 88 including a mock Fidel Castro (Dan Hedaya). The movie is pure over the top testosterone and I eat that up like a baby.

Vernon Wells and David Patrick Kelly had memorable deaths, but for me the best lines come from Bill Duke - "This Green Beret's gonna kick your ass!". And Arnold's ultra macho response is sooo perfect - "I had Green Berets for breakfast, and now I'm very hungry!".

What happened the last time you watched COMMANDO?

-TL

Well...my apologies if I have derailed anything.

Sheeeit, I'm more guilty than almost anyone ;)

Not a reflection of you Tiara or anyone else in particular.

Topics usually derail regardless since one thing leads to another.

I just thought a general film thread was needed.

Maybe if we go off topic on other threads we can just pick up the conversation here.

- TB

Let it begin.

I'm in the mood to talk S C H W A R Z E N E G G E R...

I think he shoulda been part of that art piece we were going nuts over in the RAW BAR (still are).

Street, COMMANDO hasn't improved for you after its 23rd birthday. I bought the Extended Version 6 months ago after not having seen the film since I bought the VHS in 1999 that came with the Schwarzenegger Collection. The movie still blew me the fuck away, and with the added gore it was like watching it for the first time again.

Matrix was designed to counter Rambo. Martial arts expert, Green Beret Colonel (his own boss), 230 lbs. SOLID at 6'2", body count of 88 including a mock Fidel Castro (Dan Hedaya). The movie is pure over the top testosterone and I eat that up like a baby.

Vernon Wells and David Patrick Kelly had memorable deaths, but for me the best lines come from Bill Duke - "This Green Beret's gonna kick your ass!". And Arnold's ultra macho response is sooo perfect - "I had Green Berets for breakfast, and now I'm very hungry!".

What happened the last time you watched COMMANDO?

-TL

Well I do need to give it more of a fair shake.

And perhaps viewing an extended version is the way to do that.

I caught a chunk of it a few months back on some movie channel.

It just seemed so dated to me, same thing with Lone Wolf McQuade.

There was a time when I lived and died by these films and perhaps held them in too high a regard.

My tastes have evolved over the years.

So sometimes when I go back and view an old favorite it losses a bit of it's brass.

80's movies are a perfect example and a lot of my feelings on the subject are based on the dated film scores.

Electronic yuck, Synth yuck. . . .

A lot of film music from the 80's offends my tender sensibilities ;)

It's a particular foible of mine.

I can still worship a film like Escape From New York mainly because of Carpenter's touch and Russell's performance, the supporting cast, etc . . .

And it does have an electronic score. BUT, it's like no other electronic score (save for Carpenter's signature sound).

Tangerine Dream scores hold up for me too.

It's the generic synth based action adventure scores that derail my ass.

Even To Live And Die In LA feels a bit dated to me, but at least the score is Wang Chungy, and not like the general synth sounds of the era.

I could easily come back around on this and find an appreciation once again.

I came back around on Omega Man's score which I once despised as too jazzy, that it didn't fit the film.

Then Darabont set me straight on that.

I ended up picking up the score and fell in love with it.

Anyway, I'll give Commando another shot.

- TB

Who was it that said he didn't watch ALL of Schindler's List again?...

You're in the Brig for now amigo lol

I think the score for COMMANDO is catchy as fuck Street and its basically a "score sequel" to 48 HOURS.

It's such a commando score. Makes you wanna enlist in the Army again and shave off your facial hair in exchange for 5 mile runs in combat boots.

-TL

So I'm real fond of the Leone/Eastwood films...

:D

Fuckers.

Fred

If you think you smell hypocrisy you're off base Freddie-poo.

I'm talking about films I saw and loved when I was 15-20 not resonating the same for me now as a 40 year old.

And it has nothing to do with pacing or editing.

I was taking you to task over a classic film.

I'm not sure if Commando (as much as some do love it) meets that criteria.

OR are you just fucking with us ;)

Ya bastard.

Why don't you tell us about one of these films you referred to earlier?

When you were talking about films people here may not have seen.

- TB

Makes you wanna enlist in the Army again and shave off your facial hair in exchange for 5 mile runs in combat boots.

Actually, there is nothing I could listen to that would inspire me to shave and run five miles.

I'll walk, but I'm not shaving ;)

- TB

To think you only missed the draft by a decade...

Then again, alotta active Enlisted GIs grew beards during the hippie rev in the 70s. I don't picture you as an Officer man, you would definetely fit in with the boys makin $1200 a month for standing in the desert surrounded by war. Or something like war.

-TL

Yeah, I like having a beard too much to enlist in the army. That and I'm already kinda going bald and am clinging on to my hair for as long as possible.

And I think the only time I've ever really been motivated to run was in high school when someone took my 12 pack, I had to chase down a car.

Ok back to S C H W A R Z E N E G G E R...(We suck at maintaining a topic)

Who's got some favs of the Governator's?

My fav is talked about up above, and is followed by T2, True Lies and PREDATOR.

-TL

Ok back to S C H W A R Z E N E G G E R...(We suck at maintaining a topic)

Who's got some favs of the Governator's?

My fav is talked about up above, and is followed by T2, True Lies and PREDATOR.

-TL

I have always favored Conan.

It's got a lot of stuff I love.

Milius

Robert E. Howard

S C H W A R Z E N E G G E R as C O N A N

Music by Basil Polidoris

Sandahl Bergman

William Smith

M A K O

Frazetta inspiration

James Earl Jones

That hot chick that plays Conan's mom at the beginning of the picture

That hot, crazy chick that practically rapes him on the floor of her shack before she turns into Witch Hazel

It has fun and memorable lines

Max von Sydow

And it has that great ending shot of an older King Conan sitting on his throne brooding.

The promise of more to come.

Conan the Destroyer wasn't it.

King Conan, written and directed by Milius would be my wish.

Now dump the politics and get back to your real job Arnie.

- TB

Gotta go with Predator and T2 as my favorite Arnie films. I also liked Twins and Kindergarten Cop as a child. Hell I still like them now I don't care, I'll admit it!

Is it true that when he leaves office that he's gonna get started on King Conan? I would like that. I'm tired of seeing him in office all the time. I want him back in the film industry!

TL- I always thought 48 hours when I heard the theme for Commando. Both were done by James Horner. He probably didn't feel like working too much on Commando lol. David Patrick Kelly is also in both movies as well.

Guest FADoss

Yeah, I was fucking with you.

As for films that folks may have missed, I think I've posted the list before, but here are a few:

"Mumford" (1999)--Quaint movie about a small town shrink with some great twists. WITH Zooey Deschanel, Jason Lee and oddly enough Ted Danson.

"Zero Effect" (1998)-- Bill Pullman is Daryl Zero, a real life Batman, who happens to be a sociopath. Funny, real and entertaining. Also starring Ben Stiller.

"The Horseman on the Roof" (1995)--Starring Juliette Binoche and Olivier Martinez. French film set in 1832. An action love story and partial period piece.

"84 Charlie Mopic" (1989)--Think Cloverfield/Blair Witch and THEN think Platoon. This Vietnam flick is filmed entirely from the perspective of an Army cameraman. Starring my "Transformers" scene partner Glenn Morshower about 20 years younger.

"Banlieue 13" -or- "District 13" (2004)--It's French and a cool action flick!!! Featuring Le Parkour or free-running greats David Belle and Cyril Raffaelli, you've seen this stuff INVADE American cinema recently. Cool, cool stuff.

"The Beast" (1988)--Russian tank crew in Afghanistan learns the spirit of the mujad the hard way. Great counterpart to "Charlie Wilson's War". Stars Jason Patric and Stephen Baldwin

"Birthday Girl" (2001)--Mail-order-Russian bride flick with plot twists similar to "Mumford" above. Stars Nicole Kidman, Ben Chaplin and Vincent Cassel.

"Frailty" (2001)--Single father gains the help of his young sons in killing demons with a holy lead pipe. Psycho killer flick. Stars Matthew McConaughey, Bill Paxton and Powers Booth.

"Mirrormask" (2005)--A beautiful Neil Gaiman flick about a 15 year old girl who journeys into a magical and somewhat twisted world. Somewhat like "Pan's Labyrinth".

"The Prodigy" (2004)--Ultra low budget action flick that pulls off the big studio crap in a lot of ways. Some TRULY amazing gun battles and action sequences. Worth checking out.

"Renaissance" (2006)--I snagged a bootleg copy of this in Afghanistan and was deeply impressed. Noir animated sci fi classic featuring the voice talent of Daniel Craig.

"Zatoichi" (2003)--Everything I wish "Blind Fury" was. An amazing tale of a kick ass blind samurai warrior.

"Soul Survivors" (2001)--Cover sells it as just another teen slasher flick, but there's a lot of deep shit in here and some great twists. Stars Casey Affleck, Luke Wilson and Wes Bentley.

"Wide Awake" (1998)--Shyamalan's second film and completely mismarketed as a family comedy (check out the box). A boy's grandfather dies and he sets out to find out if his grandpa has gone to heaven. Stars Robert Logia, Rosie O'Donnell, Dana Delany, Camryn Manheim, Julia Stiles and Denis Leary.

"Soul Assassin" (2001)--Thought this was going to be another uber-dumb film and was pleasantly surprised by a strong plot and intriguing story.

There are more...and some of these aren't GREAT films, but are definitely sleepers.

Fred

I have always favored Conan.

It's got a lot of stuff I love.

Milius

Robert E. Howard

- TB

Milius is brilliant. I still however would have loved to have seen the earlier Oliver Stone draft produced complete with its Dante's Inferno inspired legions of beasts. Would have also been interesting to see what sort of style he would have taken with direction. That being said I adore Milius and wouldn't second guess any decision he made.

DESTROYER on the other hand was a terrible waste. And let's not start on RED SONJA - won't put all the blame on Fleischer's direction, both are faulted by shall I say it - comic book style writing. The characters are flat with no defined reality. Whereas in the hands of Milius and Stone as influenced by Howard and Frazetta characters become pardon the pun - flesh and blood. Comparing DESTROYER to BARBARIAN is like comparing SUPERGIRL to SUPERMAN.

What I mean in terms of comic book style writing is the neccesary translation from one medium to another - the same adaptation as required in going from novel to film. The director needs to believe in the characters and environment as credible entities Milius did that with Conan, as Donner did with Superman

Andrew

Pumping Iron (this movie was my introduction to Arnold; his drive and determination was inspiring to me and I watch it when it is on cable).

Conan the Barbarian (I really loved this movie!) Too cool for words.

Terminator (I think I put Arnold in my will because I was so impressed with this movie, even though I got a mad crush on Michael Biehn).

Collateral Damage (not pleased with the critics on this, but I did like it).

Red Sonja

Predator

Running Man

Red Heat

End of Days

Eraser

Twins

True Lies (I never get enough of that movie)

He is truly one of my favorite actors.

I've got to say my favorite films of AHNOLD have to be Commando, Kindgergarten Cop, Total Recall, Terminator, T2, & Conan.

Commando just has so many of those funny one liners that I can't help myself. And Vernon as the bad guy was a bit hilarious. When Matrix is saying stuff to egg Bennett on.

Bennett - John! How's your arm John?

Matrix - Come over and find out!

Bennett - No thanks, I think I'll take a pass. John, stick your head out, one shot, right between the eyes, I'll make it quick, just for old time sake.

Matrix - Bennett, stop screwing around and let the girl go, it's me that you want, I only have one arm, you can beat me!

Matrix - Come on Bennett, throw away the chicken shit gun, you don't just want to pull the trigger, you want to put the knife in me, and look me in the eye, and see whats going on in there when you turn it, thats what you want to do, right?

Bennett - I can kill you John!

Matrix - Come on, let the girl go, just between you and me, don't deprive yourself of some pleasure, come on Bennett, lets party!

Bennett - I can beat you, I don't need the girl hahah, I DON'T NEED THE GIRL!

Bennett - I don't need the gun John. I can beat you. I DON'T NEED NO GUN!

Bennett - AND I'LL KILL YOU NOW!

Bennett always looks like he's on the verge of an oragasm when he says that line.

JO

Pumping Iron (this movie was my introduction to Arnold; his drive and determination was inspiring to me and I watch it when it is on cable).

He's funny in that film. When he's talking about working out and getting the pump. That scene is hilarious.

JO

Fred, join us by dropping some Arnold titles you dig.

LET'S PARTY!

-TL

*KING CONAN is the best idea I've ever heard for Arnold's comeback. I can picture it now:

S C H W A R Z E N E G G E R IS

---------KING CONAN---------

ON 2011 HIS TERM IS OVER...