THE SPIRIT

Guest AdminGuyX

Concerning Unique Geek's appraisal . . . “The Spirit starts off crazy when we expect serious."

. . . Um . . . Who in the fuck who ever saw the trailer for this ever expected serious?

We expected serious when this film was announced. We figured out that it fell well short of that upon seeing the trailer.

After seeing the initial reviews it only confirms what many of us fans of Will Eisner's The Spirit feared the most, that this movie is crud.

I know one thing. I cannot bring myself to go see this film. I haven't the slightest urge to see how bad it is.

Miller could have taken the idea of how Sin City was shot green screen and still made a film that had the look and feel of Will Eisner AND appeased the fans of SC at the same time. He could have played it smart like Rodriguez did and paid visual homage to his favorite comics material. What he's ended up doing is playing that Hollywood game he said he'd never play. It's ironic on a grand scale. You think I'm not being fair because I haven't seen this movie? I've seen all I need to see.

- TB

Wow! This is the first time I've seen this side of Tim. I like it! ;) I don't know a whole lot about the spirit character, but I know I have no intention of seeing this movie. Every trailer makes me cringe.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know what amazes me about this flick...the budget for advertising must be bigger than some movies complete budgets...they are advertising the shit out of this thing, it's fucking everywhere for christ's sake...

I can't think of a bigger way to ruin Christmas Day than going to see this!

So true...

I'll instead be ruining my waist line, with pie, red velvet cake, lots and lots of coffee some ham, mashed potatoes and somewhere in there a viewing of IT's A WONDERFUL LIFE and SCROOGE (1951), the Alister Sim version...and later on I'll eat some more stuff that is incredibly bad for me while I watch Bill Murrays's SCROOGED...that'll be all THE SPIRIT I need.

And DIE HARD"!!!!! That's a Christmas movie!!! LOL

So true...

I'll instead be ruining my waist line, with pie, red velvet cake, lots and lots of coffee some ham, mashed potatoes and somewhere in there a viewing of IT's A WONDERFUL LIFE and SCROOGE (1951), the Alister Sim version...and later on I'll eat some more stuff that is incredibly bad for me while I watch Bill Murrays's SCROOGED...that'll be all THE SPIRIT I need.

Over the holidays I am going to check out:

Babe

To Kill A Mockingbird

All the Die Hard movies

Young Frankenstein

The Visitor

Stalag 17

Sabrina

and of course, Anchorman: Legend of Ron Burgundy...this movie makes me smile all the way through

So, we're having an unoffical RAW memeber boycott ;)

I think so... :lol:

You gotta give Miller credit for signing on to BUCK ROGERS and getting the chance to direct again before THE SPIRIT comes out, because he may end up back in movie jail after that.

And they are promoting the hell out of THE SPIRIT. There have been billboards up in L.A. for like 6 months.

"My Planet Screams" was the funniest comment on the BUCK ROGERS article! LOL

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for that Joe, I'm still wiping the tears from my eyes.

Yes, let's boycott this movie.

I'm probably being extra harsh about this because I'm such a fan of Eisner and I see this adaptation as a travesty.

The fact that it's Frank Miller only heightens that. Frank was a guy we AUTOMATICALLY put our trust in, like a lot of other more important people did as well ;)

I don't think he could have done much more to distance himself from everything that was good about Eisner's The Spirit.

Miller's succeeded in one thing. The exact opposite of what almost everyone was hoping for.

Hey, I still love him for what he's done in comics but this a different playing field altogether.

I think there are a lot of talented creators from the world of comics that just saw their chances of directing a film take a big blow (and no, in no way am I speaking for myself here for Chrissakes). I think there are a lot of studios out there that have to take this as a sign, and think 2 or 3 times before handing over the reigns to a deserving and talented comics creator. Guys like Steve Niles, and Mike Mignola, among a lot of others. People putting up the money tend to take this stuff seriously.

I'm sorry to say it but it looks like Frank fell flat on his face with this.

And that is truly disappointing on many levels.

- TB

I live to entertain you, my liege. :D

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for that Joe, I'm still wiping the tears from my eyes.

Yes, let's boycott this movie.

I'm probably being extra harsh about this because I'm such a fan of Eisner and I see this adaptation as a travesty.

The fact that it's Frank Miller only heightens that. Frank was a guy we AUTOMATICALLY put our trust in, like a lot of other more important people did as well ;)

I don't think he could have done much more to distance himself from everything that was good about Eisner's The Spirit.

Miller's succeeded in one thing. The exact opposite of what almost everyone was hoping for.

Hey, I still love him for what he's done in comics but this a different playing field altogether.

I think there are a lot of talented creators from the world of comics that just saw their chances of directing a film take a big blow (and no, in no way am I speaking for myself here for Chrissakes). I think there are a lot of studios out there that have to take this as a sign, and think 2 or 3 times before handing over the reigns to a deserving and talented comics creator. Guys like Steve Niles, and Mike Mignola, among a lot of others. People putting up the money tend to take this stuff seriously.

I'm sorry to say it but it looks like Frank fell flat on his face with this.

And that is truly disappointing on many levels.

- TB

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what bothers me the most, because after the Robocop films, Frank wanted nothing to do with Hollywood because they bastardized his work. Now Frank is bastardizing Eisner's work, and it's okay? Kind of a double standard if you ask me.

The guy's done seminal work, and I love his books, but this is heart breaking.

Earlier in the year, following the film’s presentation at Comic-Con in San Diego, we made a few wise cracks at the “toilet humor” in Frank Miller’s The Spirit. In one particular scene Samuel L. Jackson, as viciously unfunny baddie “The Octopus,” slams a toilet over the head of our hero. He then proceeds to burst into laughter, chiding The Spirit with “Come on, man. Toilets are always funny!” It was the unequivocal low point of our Comic-Con experience.

This morning, months after watching fans at the Con walk out on a Frank Miller panel, I dragged myself out of bed bright and early to see what the rest of The Spirit had in store. And while my full review isn’t ready, I can promise you that I shall be throwing more than just a toilet at it. That, and I’m happy to report that we were right all along, criticizing The Spirit’s overly campy nature and its “Sin City meets Looney Tunes” tone.

And as it turns out, we aren’t the only ones looking poorly upon Miller’s film:

Continue reading:

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/buzz...-by-critics.php

31296.jpg

31297.jpg

We're very nearly at the release of Frank Miller's The Spirit and we've got an exclusive look at the artwork of the film for you. Miller storyboarded the entire film before it was shot, and we have two of his sketches, from the new "The Spirit: The Movie Visual Companion" book from Titan Books.

The first picture shows the Spirit (Gabriel Macht) and the Octopus (Samuel L. Jackson) squaring off on the Central City mudflats in a major sequence early in the movie. The latter shows the Spirit alone on a rooftop.

The Spirit is out on January 1, and The Spirit: The Movie Visual Companion is out now.

Source: http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=23912

just picked up the making of FM's Spitit book...can't really indulge, but it has tweaked my interest some more...but fuck, it looked like he had a blast making it, and thats what really matters eh?

ComingSoon.net's Superhero Hype! has your exclusive look at a new featurette on Frank Miller's The Spirit, opening in theaters on Christmas Day. Adapted from Will Eisner's comic book series, the action-adventure stars Gabriel Macht, Samuel L. Jackson, Sarah Paulson, Eva Mendes, Dan Lauria, Paz Vega, Jaime King, Scarlett Johansson, Louis Lombardi and Stana Katic.

You can watch the featurette here!

Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=51526

Here's Roger ebert's review of the movie. Yikes!

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...VIEWS/812239987

Ouch...and I mean major ouch... :blink:

Archived