and answer me this one easy question please- does this word mean anything to you- 'cexcean'

It would mean a great deal to me.

sveinx

nope. but i once started a club with an old friend of mine called the 'EXIANS.'

we called DC/101 and got on the air, making the local DJ our first honorary member.

yeah.

thanks for the feedback, everybody. it's good to know that some people appreciate the film. i don't expect everyone to love it - if they did then i know that we really screwed up. i find that the world of intelligent criticism is dying, whether it's film or music or art (literary critique is still holding on by a thread, for obvious reasons)

but gone are the days of Pauline Kael and the ilk. not that we look to places like IMDB for that, but as an artist there's precious few places to look for interesting feedback of one's work.

a recent article in VARIETY lamented this fact, that most of the nations papers have FIRED their entertainment critics.

you'd think this was a good thing, with all the shit we give them. nothing sticks in the mind like a bad review. i can still quote some verbatum from when i was first starting out. but like a lot of things that are a pain in the ass, a good critic can offer you something that every artist - okay, every person - badly needs - constructive, well thought out, dare i say intelligent feedback

and we wonder about the state of films these days. the weekly numbers at the box office are the only reliable gage of how the work is received by the GP, and we all know that that number is subject to a hell of a lot more factors than 'artistic merit' (whatever that is) or fine craftmanship.

it's a little like acting in a vacuum or a bubble that keeps getting smaller the more work you do.

and we wonder why so many artists have one or two good pieces of work and then fall of the beam.

the internet's been great, but like the television, i see it adding to the dumbness and the deafness. The attention span starts to crumble. the mind begins to die.

and you thought you were here just to kill some time.

TJ

and you thought you were here just to kill some time

no. we're here to kill our brain cells.

where are they?

Honestly, Bad Planet 3 burnt out whatever I had left. When are you bringing Ray Zone back? that motherfucker could single-handedly warp the entire world's dimensional perception.

Thomas- Thank you from the bottom of my heart for answering my little question. I appreciate you even exerting the energy to type those letters n-o-p-e in response. Thank you very much. You may not know who cexcean is but he puts out a lot of love and wicked strong vibes out there in your's and Patricia's name. This universe is getting flooded and he's using his invaluable teachings through yours and super-especially Patricia Arquette's artistic merits as a device to fuck shit up. That is- if he's doing it right. Think of him as your rebel guardian angel.

but seriously?

aww man....you're telling me that niether you or Patricia have ever visited PA.com?

http://www.patricia-arquette.com/board/index.php

what the fuck man?>

it's one of those precious places where an artist gets solid feedback from

I couldn't do enough to repay Patricia Arquette- only thing I can think of is prayer as reciprocation. Also I'd like to think that as hot as the music I produce gets- some of it was fuel-injected with the Arquette flavor. And for her graceful acting elucidating impressions of humanity driving a transformation of my consciousness

what's DC/101- is that a radio station? what kind of club did you start? and honestly, I don't know what the hell you are talking about> is this some Illuminati shit or Studio 54 shit?

anyways-

I have yet to see Dark Country and Mist and my final question. Obviously, you don't gotta answer this but

when are you gonna do a 6-D Bad Planet? and how the fuck do you come up with these storylines?

don't answer that.

peace and love to all those who can receive it- wink wink Tim Bradroad.

sveinx

p.s.

it's a little like acting in a vacuum or a bubble that keeps getting smaller the more work you do.

Why do you say that?

What does it matter what other people think? Fuck #####numbers##### The primary objective of art is enlightenment and it is the artist's process of the moment that develops it- gives you the rush- the pleasure- refining your soul- expanding yourself- receiving the wisdom

Yes. i can understand that the more peoples' eyes your film passes through- the more brains that processes the flick triggers thoughts and generates an energy that reverberates throughout the universe. Acting and being emotionally evocative, the writing and directing transporting people- sure- I think there is an effect. But ultimately, art is a self-exploration and shouldn't be 'gaged' by what other people think.

Bet that was the longest fuckin' p.s. you all have ever seen.

p.p.s Jason-

I just consider everyone stupid and uneffective to me until I know them

Damn Straight Sista!!

and...

p.p.p.p.s-

Hey Thomas~ What the fuck is an EXIAN?

I love you.

and pass that on to you know who.

take care-

cexcean

no just kidding.

sveinx.

ah, fuck it.

mickey mouse in a g-string.

Hey Thomas it's like highschool man, everyones making junk and putting it out there for everyone else haha. Were you one of those kids that were picked on or cool kid? haha

Amy-

There are some cool user reviews of The Mist on Bloody-Disgusting.com. The film got 4 1/2 skulls out of 5.

I haven't seen this yet. But if I had to rate Bad Planet 3- I'd give it-

1331047984_42dc72dc46.jpg

and Tim's new pieces gets-

1330159053_54f768e1a9.jpg

The Sweetest Thing gets

tio.jpg

But if it was in 3-D-

Untitled-6-12.jpg

remember- these are all out of 5.

sveinx

I haven't seen this yet. But if I had to rate Bad Planet 3- I'd give it-

1331047984_42dc72dc46.jpg

and Tim's new pieces gets-

1330159053_54f768e1a9.jpg

The Sweetest Thing gets

tio.jpg

But if it was in 3-D-

Untitled-6-12.jpg

remember- these are all out of 5.

sveinx

tee hee!

I loved "The Mist" ! This end is really horrible psychologically speaking (special mention for delivering of Thomas Jane for that matter). It was a great and original end, it changes of the usual "happy end". Briefly, an end sadistic but excellent !

are getting on me about the ending of The Mist on IMDB.

i mean, hell. an actor gets used to all kind of comments about his work, his back hair, his lousy fashion sense.

Jeez.

and forget about it if you're an actress. my wife has the thickest skin of anybody i know (and the softest)

i can take it if it's honest, i mean everybody's entitled, right? or if i've done something really stupid,

well then it's time to man up and pay the piper.

fair 'nuff.

but i like this film.

i like the chances it takes and i like the uncompromising ending.

and yeah, i'm pretty proud of the acting too. i think the director took it all the way.

i think that's pretty rare in these half way, are we in a war-not in a war, apathetic,

i'd rather be playing Grand Theft Auto, i wanna-hear the record-but i'm-not gonna buy it-world.

good or bad, we took a stand.

if anybody wants to chime in here in defense of the film,

check it out:

http://imdb.com/name/nm0005048/board/nest/101947979

you might have to log in to post comments there. don't let idiocy rule the day.

TJ

nope. but i once started a club with an old friend of mine called the 'EXIANS.'

we called DC/101 and got on the air, making the local DJ our first honorary member.

yeah.

thanks for the feedback, everybody. it's good to know that some people appreciate the film. i don't expect everyone to love it - if they did then i know that we really screwed up. i find that the world of intelligent criticism is dying, whether it's film or music or art (literary critique is still holding on by a thread, for obvious reasons)

but gone are the days of Pauline Kael and the ilk. not that we look to places like IMDB for that, but as an artist there's precious few places to look for interesting feedback of one's work.

a recent article in VARIETY lamented this fact, that most of the nations papers have FIRED their entertainment critics.

you'd think this was a good thing, with all the shit we give them. nothing sticks in the mind like a bad review. i can still quote some verbatum from when i was first starting out. but like a lot of things that are a pain in the ass, a good critic can offer you something that every artist - okay, every person - badly needs - constructive, well thought out, dare i say intelligent feedback

and we wonder about the state of films these days. the weekly numbers at the box office are the only reliable gage of how the work is received by the GP, and we all know that that number is subject to a hell of a lot more factors than 'artistic merit' (whatever that is) or fine craftmanship.

and we wonder why so many artists have one or two good pieces of work and then fall of the beam.

the internet's been great, but like the television, i see it adding to the dumbness and the deafness. The attention span starts to crumble. the mind begins to die.

and you thought you were here just to kill some time.

TJ

As I said in the topic "the mist", I sincerely believe that we should not to read reviews on imdb, whatever the topic because they are often too stupid, childish (and irritating...). In short, unfortunate. It does not merit to respond and even less our attention.

I think everyone needs a minimum of recognition, especially when you work hard, but it's imperative to look elsewhere that on this shit of imdb if one wants to read a constructive criticism, because this is not there that we can be judge at our fair value. There, people mostly saying dirty comments gratuitously.

I Love anything with Thomas Jane in it! I love him sooooooo much! Yes... I don't even know him, but if only he was single and would give me a chance! :lol:

Personally, I really enjoyed the Mist. It was very entertaining, which is the whole purpose of a movie. TJ really carries the movie (any movie) when he is in the leading role and you can't do better than that!

I should have known better than to visit The Mist boards at IMDB, especially after Thomas's post here about idiocy ruling the day ... but I only just recently saw the movie, and thought I would see if anything else of interest was being discussed.

Doctoral dissertation length disagreements over the ending persist - which I suppose is kind of cool, that the movie continues to generate heated discussion (even though on that subject, I think Love it or Hate it, Accept it, and Move on).

But when I found side-swipe comments interjected about Thomas's performance, I went rogue and posted the following (apologies if this embarrasses TJ or myself):

Oh, HELL no!!!

Thomas Jane is one of the finest actors of this [i meant, our] generation. He becomes each character to the point of being unrecognizable as himself - I simply call this acting.

Thomas Jane is also one of the last true, stomping-the-boards, real men, actors reminiscent of Paul Newman, Clint Eastwood, or Steve McQueen. He is NOT one of these metrosexual, Hollywood packaged, more concerned over their non-fat latte pretty-boys that are coming up in the ranks of actors these days, thank God.

As David Drayton, Thomas Jane's reaction is thoroughly genuine, a crushing sentiment and a heart-wrenching outpour of thought and emotion. He is also speaking, struggling to utter, "for what? they're dead for what?" If you listen carefully, it's there. Imagine yourself in that exact situation - you would not be pretty or perfect either, but you would indeed be feeling quite deeply, and most likely express yourself with that much hopelessness, while the sickening realization sinks in.

You may disagree over the ending, but never again over his performance - that I cannot accept!

The underlined is what I've concluded recently in watching Thomas's movies, from earlier works to more recent. It is also partly why I cannot imagine casting Conan, for example, as we discuss in other threads. I just do not see any masculine young actors making their way up (except maybe Chris Evans ...).

Now, some cat over there thinks I'm a dude, has taken me to task for my posts, and references what I said (which he misconstrued) to someone else ... needless to say, I shan't be returning there. ;)

Thomas said upthread "but i like this film" and so do I, especially his performance.

And that's why I spoke up. B)

Thanks for indulging me here.

Welcome to the club. You now have your scars to show alongside the rest of us who have battled the mindless, know-nothing-know-it-alls at IMDb who have nothing better to do than to sit at a computer and take potshots at anyone and everyone in their sights as if they were in a shooting gallery at an arcade, and anyone and their opinions are fair game.

It's a crying shame that their isn't some sort of idiot control on your computer so that when you encounter such stupidity, you could just push a button and blow up that person's computer.

That being said, I think most, or all, of us here would agree with your comments. Well said. I could go on and on about the endless parade of "pretty-boy" actors who are filling out the rank and file in Hollywood today, and not one of them has an ounce of substance to them, or a fraction of that something that Thomas has that makes him stand out from the rest. It's just a shame that Hollywood has never really noticed it. Hopefully, his day is coming soon though. He is way overdue.

I should have known better than to visit The Mist boards at IMDB, especially after Thomas's post here about idiocy ruling the day ... but I only just recently saw the movie, and thought I would see if anything else of interest was being discussed.

Doctoral dissertation length disagreements over the ending persist - which I suppose is kind of cool, that the movie continues to generate heated discussion (even though on that subject, I think Love it or Hate it, Accept it, and Move on).

But when I found side-swipe comments interjected about Thomas's performance, I went rogue and posted the following (apologies if this embarrasses TJ or myself):

The underlined is what I've concluded recently in watching Thomas's movies, from earlier works to more recent. It is also partly why I cannot imagine casting Conan, for example, as we discuss in other threads. I just do not see any masculine young actors making their way up (except maybe Chris Evans ...).

Now, some cat over there thinks I'm a dude, has taken me to task for my posts, and references what I said (which he misconstrued) to someone else ... needless to say, I shan't be returning there. ;)

Thomas said upthread "but i like this film" and so do I, especially his performance.

And that's why I spoke up. B)

Thanks for indulging me here.

Very well-said.

i used to post an occasional review on the IMDb boards about ten years ago, but the site has degressed so much since then it's shameful. Every once in a while i will skim through the boards, hoping against hope for some sort of intelligent discussion, and while they do exist, the overwhelming ignorance becomes so difficult to deal with, i usually end up leaving in disgust, shaking my head and wondering why i try.

Really glad you enjoyed The Mist.

I love Mist for several reasons and Jayesse8 struck on the 2 main ones: Tom's performance and Darabont's choices. I rented Mist when it first came out and expected total popcorn, Dreamcatcher, fluff. I was deeply horrified and pleasently moved. I couldn't shake it, not for days. I kept asking myself, "why am I moved by some fright flick, this is silly, or is it?"

As a culture, we've become so blase about movies and the power of art and fiction. Entertainment is all we want and when we get duped into actually thinking, we react agressively - positively or negatively.

Personally, I spend a lot of time thinking about art in all its forms - what it's meant to do, why we do it and our expectations about it. We talk about movies being art but our consumer society prefers movies to be like M&M's - immediately satisfying, voluminous, but never filling.

Real art is often difficult to digest. The Mist has suprising heft and roughage. We pat our full tummy's, burp and say it is good.

What a lovely and thoughtful post, kdedu.

Thank you, also, Parker and mediumfan for the solidarity and support :) - I truly appreciate it.

Obviously most of this is another prime example of how the internet allows anyone with a cursory knowledge of typing and an email account, the power to share their amazing insight with the rest of the world. It makes about as much sense as reading customer reviews on Itunes :blink:.

It certainly has the power to get under one's skin. I know that I have felt compelled to respond to certain nitwit assholes who had nothing better to do with their time than to attack me and my artwork personally when they have no idea what they are talking about. I have answered these "critics" from time to time, more in an effort to set the record straight for all of the other brainless rubes that are going to read such moronic verbal diarrhea and take it as truth. I have pride in my work and if that's a sin than tough shit, I've sinned before. I know Tom takes pride in his work as well. And when you read crap like this, even KNOWING that the people in question are not going to win any IQ competitions in the near future, it hurts.

My friends tell me to ignore this crap and that is good advice. But I sometimes cannot let it go, especially if the forum in question is a respected one where people that know me are going to have to read such lameness. That advice is easy to give, but very difficult to put into practice ;)

Regardless, most of us know better than to put ANY stock in the ridiculous negative comments concerning the Mist and Tom's performance over on IMDB. It boggles my mind how anyone can be so obtuse. You didn't like it or it didn't work for you, fine. That says something about you. It says all I need to know.

I appreciate that some of you have taken the time to let your feelings be known on the subject. It's always nice to read comments from folks who actually have some taste and at least half a brain in their head.

The ending has touched a lot of nerves. People love it or hate it. I love it as uncompromising and depressingly blunt. AND perhaps a thumb of the nose to the formula happy ending. Darabont DARED to break the formula. To me it makes the film one to remember for a long time.

I say the same thing as a lot of you. "I might have waited to off everyone until the monsters were on top of us". But I can also rationalize that these people were emotionally spent, at the end of their collective mental rope, and truly believed there was no other way out. Drayton promised his son that he wouldn't let the monsters get him and he made good on that promise. It's fucking HARDCORE, brave and powerful. It's an ending that will prove to make that film a classic in the genre.

As for Jane's performance, I could not have been more proud of him. His performance at the end of the film especially, broke my heart.

He made me forget that I see, talk, and work with him on a regular basis. I forgot about Jane and only saw Drayton (after about the first 15 minutes).

No bullshit. No bias.

- TB

When I first saw the ending, I really felt for David Drayton. Tom Jane's performance was great in the film, and especially moving at the end of it. I watched it over again recently, and it really hits home now for me, I recently lost my son, he was only five days old when he passed.

Man oh man Tom, just before the movie first came out, I had posted several times on those boards arguing with people about the ending. There was this one guy (who goes by the name "karcreat") who was unrelenting. He kept going on and on about how awful the ending was, and how they should have used the book ending instead. I argued (as it should be argued) that the movie ending is what truly makes it a "horror" movie. It's what sets that film apart from all other films like it. It is the PERFECT way to end that film. THE MIST has always been my favorite King story. I remember talking to Frank years ago when he was trying to get it going, and telling him how excited I was that he was the one doing it. I never lost my enthusiasm. I loved the movie, everything about it. I insisted on those boards that there was no other way this could have ended properly. But this guy wasn't having it. He insisted it was wrong, that it destroyed the film, that it ruined the credibility of everyone involved, that it was an insult to the audience. Want to know the best part? I eventually figured out that despite all of his arguing, HE HAD NOT EVEN SEEN THE FILM YET.

And that was where I decided posting on IMDB was futile. Those people are idiots. Rather than discuss your career seriously they prefer to make an all too commonly used Homeless Dad jokes. Listening to these guys is like taking dictation from a coked up parrot. Ignore them - their thoughts are not worth the time it takes to read them.

Just from my own perspective, despite knowing you pretty well, I sat in the theater for a private press screening, and in those last few moments... I was crying. I forgot I knew you at all. I forgot I was watching Tom Jane on the screen. Instead I was watching David Drayton, shattered by what he had done, barely hanging on to his own sanity. It was heartbreaking, it was really quite incredible, and it may just be the most impressive thing I've ever seen you do. Bradstreet and I have discussed how these days people laugh at things in movies that aren't funny. They no longer take serious what truly is serious. Personally I think it's a defense mechanism, that they are so afraid of their own emotions, they choose to laugh at something uncomfortable. It's a sad statement of society.

Oh, and good ol' Karcreat has apparently made his own "novella cut" of THE MIST which he's offering on his website. I really wish there was some way for lawsuits to descend on him. He'd probably argue in court that the judgment against him wasn't the right way for things to end. Moron.

Kisses,

Guest AdminGuyX
I watched it over again recently, and it really hits home now for me, I recently lost my son, he was only five days old when he passed.

That must have been hard to post. I'm very sorry to read that, and for your loss. I can't even imagine. You and your son will be in my thoughts.

And I have to agree that the film has a lot of power in those closing moments. I also recently watched it again and even when you know how it ends, you're not ready for it, and it still kicked you in the guts.

good ol' Karcreat

Don't know who he is, but I browsed his site a bit and didn't care for anything I saw.

That must have been hard to post. I'm very sorry to read that, and for your loss. I can't even imagine. You and your son will be in my thoughts.

And I have to agree that the film has a lot of power in those closing moments. I also recently watched it again and even when you know how it ends, you're not ready for it, and it still kicked you in the guts.

I really appreciate that, thanks very much. When we watched it again, it was myself, my wife, her two cousins, and my best friend. When the group finally ran out of gas, and everyone in the vehicle was quiet, it was so tense in the room, and as the camera went to the shot right outside the vehicle, and you see the gun shots, everyone literally gasped, and that was when the tears started flowing. I think everyone felt David's pain during that scene. I think if an actor and a director can move people the way that Darabont and Jane did with this film, who cares about the nay sayers.

Im a simple guy i say what i think. I do what I say. This movie Rules! I love the damn movie!

Here was my post to the guy:

First off Douche bag , move out of your moms basment.

Second Thomas Jane is th Fing man! I would find it a honor to kick your ass in his name. This is a great movie! If you dont like shut the hell up.

Forget about imdb. It's just a collection of morons with no life.

I try to stay out of the boards mostly, because they're so full of crap.

But I've seen all the endless topics about the ending.

These people need to get with it.

I like the ending in the original Stephen King story, which I read a very long time ago.

But the ending in the film added something totally new, even more dark to the story.

Brilliant!

About the only difference to the original story that I noticed.

Apart from the fact that in the story, David and Amanda had sex...... ;)

All I can say is, that this adaption is breathtakingly good and if people don't appreciate this, then I don't know what's wrong with them.... Honestly....

Forget about imbd. It's just a collection of morons with no life.

I try to stay out of the boards mostly, because they're so full of crap.

But I've seen all the endless topics about the ending.

These people need to get with it.

I like the ending in the original Stephen King story, which I read a very long time ago.

But the ending in the film added something totally new, even more dark to the story.

Brilliant!

About the only difference to the original story that I noticed.

Apart from the fact that in the story, David and Amanda had sex...... ;)

All I can say is, that this adaption is breathtakingly good and if people don't appreciate this, than I don't know what's wrong with them.... Honestly....

well said!

Yeah there idiots. I swear if they ain't got something to bitch about they aren't happy. I swear there worse then a women with PMS.

Yeah, I never take people who post on IMDb or YouTube seriously. Especially, when most folks leave negative comments on actor’s message boards just to be doing it. What’s the point of spreading hate? Constructive criticism is a rarely found entity on the Internet.

As for the ending of The Mist movie, I love it so much; it's one of my top favorite movie endings of all-time. While it’s not the only great scene in the whole film, it definitely sticks in my mind. I’m glad that Stephen King admitted he liked the ending in the movie more than he liked the one he originally wrote. Frank Darabont’s ending provides a lesson about taking someone else’s fate in your hands. King’s ending is more optimistic, but not every ending has to be happy. Plus, there are other things I don’t like in King’s book that Darabont cleverly left out.

Yeah, I never take people who post on IMDb or YouTube seriously. Especially, when most folks leave negative comments on actor’s message boards just to be doing it. What’s the point of spreading hate? Constructive criticism is a rarely found entity on the Internet.

As for the ending of The Mist movie, I love it so much; it's one of my top favorite movie endings of all-time. While it’s not the only great scene in the whole film, it definitely sticks in my mind. I’m glad that Stephen King admitted he liked the ending in the movie more than he liked the one he originally wrote. Frank Darabont’s ending provides a lesson about taking someone else’s fate in your hands. King’s ending is more optimistic, but not every ending has to be happy. Plus, there are other things I don’t like in King’s book that Darabont cleverly left out.

Yeah I thought ending was very good. And don't laugh at me but I cried at the end of the movie. And yeah Imdb is one of the ones who were spreading gossip about him and what he did when he first came to hollywood. Not going to say cuz I am not that kind of person.