are getting on me about the ending of The Mist on IMDB.

i mean, hell. an actor gets used to all kind of comments about his work, his back hair, his lousy fashion sense.

Jeez.

and forget about it if you're an actress. my wife has the thickest skin of anybody i know (and the softest)

i can take it if it's honest, i mean everybody's entitled, right? or if i've done something really stupid,

well then it's time to man up and pay the piper.

fair 'nuff.

but i like this film.

i like the chances it takes and i like the uncompromising ending.

and yeah, i'm pretty proud of the acting too. i think the director took it all the way.

i think that's pretty rare in these half way, are we in a war-not in a war, apathetic,

i'd rather be playing Grand Theft Auto, i wanna-hear the record-but i'm-not gonna buy it-world.

good or bad, we took a stand.

if anybody wants to chime in here in defense of the film,

check it out:

http://imdb.com/name/nm0005048/board/nest/101947979

you might have to log in to post comments there. don't let idiocy rule the day.

TJ

What a fucking moronfest over there...

You're right, Irish. They are a bunch of idiots over there. Some of the biggest morons I've ever encountered have been on IMDb.

For what it's worth, Thomas, I put in my two cents worth. Not that it will change the minds of simpletons like that. But hopefully it'll at least make them keep their comments to themselves.

I, for one, loved the movie, and thought your performance was fantastic. So please don't let idiots like that bother you. There's always going to be someone who starts shit like that just to make themselves feel smarter than the rest of us. Truth is, it only makes them look dumber, in my mind at least.

Keep your chin up, and don't let them bug you.

Mediumfan.

Just posted my thoughts about it. I never take IMDB that serious...LOL

I believe people who bitch about the ending being stupid, obviously didn't get it or understand it on any level. Taste in film is subjective and all but that is one of the few instances that I will call someone an fucking idiot on regarding film.

Also, some of the comments on Metacritic are really just depressing, such fucking idiots.

Those people have no idea of the true beauty of that ending. That ending was perfect. It was dark, unexpected and totally not what the common film goer want. They want the guy to get the girl, the bad guys to go to jail/die and the sun shines as they live happily ever after. That's just boring. I've defended this film with many people I've come across at the place I work, MovieStop. I tell them the film was great. They buy it and come back to trade it in the next day saying, "Man, that movie was good but the ending sucked. I mean why the hell would they do that?" I loved that ending for one simple reason. You can feel his pain. He kept a promise and wanted to die and was left to live, live with the agony of knowing that help was right behind them if they'd only waited a couple minutes longer. That ending just broke me to pieces. The ending held nothing back as did the rest of the film and I loved every second of it. It made me feel something I'd never felt with a film. His screaming reminded me of the scene in Godfather part III when Pacino's Daughter is killed and he just screams this awful scream & the agony is so heartbreaking. Then having Dead Can Dance playing in the background, the whole thing just felt kind of like you could just feel him breaking inside, he'd never be the same. And now when I see it in B & W it has that much more of an impact. I loved the film and if the ending was any other way I doubt I would have liked it as much. It was just heartbreaking and it was realistic and the decision was bold. It isn't for everyone but hey, who cares? Its art and one of the best films I've seen in a long time. Tom made a great choice with this film as did the director and everyone else involved. As the guys from Guinness would say, "Tom Jane?! The Mist?! Brilliant!"

My two cents

JO

Mike didn't you think The Punisher was shit?

I'm not saying you gotta like The Punisher to enjoy The Mist, but the online community badmouths The Punisher as much as the ending to The Mist.

I'm guessing "you obviously didn't get it or understand it on any level." Yet somehow you liked the ending to The Mist.

I think we have a dilemma.

-TL

Fuck the people at IMDB.com. I hate that place, it's one of the worst places on the web. You'll find every single smartass, asshole and dumbass on the planet over there.

Obviously most of this is another prime example of how the internet allows anyone with a cursory knowledge of typing and an email account, the power to share their amazing insight with the rest of the world. It makes about as much sense as reading customer reviews on Itunes :blink:.

It certainly has the power to get under one's skin. I know that I have felt compelled to respond to certain nitwit assholes who had nothing better to do with their time than to attack me and my artwork personally when they have no idea what they are talking about. I have answered these "critics" from time to time, more in an effort to set the record straight for all of the other brainless rubes that are going to read such moronic verbal diarrhea and take it as truth. I have pride in my work and if that's a sin than tough shit, I've sinned before. I know Tom takes pride in his work as well. And when you read crap like this, even KNOWING that the people in question are not going to win any IQ competitions in the near future, it hurts.

My friends tell me to ignore this crap and that is good advice. But I sometimes cannot let it go, especially if the forum in question is a respected one where people that know me are going to have to read such lameness. That advice is easy to give, but very difficult to put into practice ;)

Regardless, most of us know better than to put ANY stock in the ridiculous negative comments concerning the Mist and Tom's performance over on IMDB. It boggles my mind how anyone can be so obtuse. You didn't like it or it didn't work for you, fine. That says something about you. It says all I need to know.

I appreciate that some of you have taken the time to let your feelings be known on the subject. It's always nice to read comments from folks who actually have some taste and at least half a brain in their head.

The ending has touched a lot of nerves. People love it or hate it. I love it as uncompromising and depressingly blunt. AND perhaps a thumb of the nose to the formula happy ending. Darabont DARED to break the formula. To me it makes the film one to remember for a long time.

I say the same thing as a lot of you. "I might have waited to off everyone until the monsters were on top of us". But I can also rationalize that these people were emotionally spent, at the end of their collective mental rope, and truly believed there was no other way out. Drayton promised his son that he wouldn't let the monsters get him and he made good on that promise. It's fucking HARDCORE, brave and powerful. It's an ending that will prove to make that film a classic in the genre.

As for Jane's performance, I could not have been more proud of him. His performance at the end of the film especially, broke my heart.

He made me forget that I see, talk, and work with him on a regular basis. I forgot about Jane and only saw Drayton (after about the first 15 minutes).

No bullshit. No bias.

- TB

Mike didn't you think The Punisher was shit?

I'm not saying you gotta like The Punisher to enjoy The Mist, but the online community badmouths The Punisher as much as the ending to The Mist.

I'm guessing "you obviously didn't get it or understand it on any level." Yet somehow you liked the ending to The Mist.

I think we have a dilemma.

-TL

No, I don't think The Punisher is shit. I've said the movie has some problems and isn't perfect, but it does enough stuff right that I like it overall. I liked the extended cut, I liked the added sub plot, but I think that movie may benefit from one more go in the editing room. But that's just me, I did enjoy it.

I say the same thing as a lot of you. "I might have waited to off everyone until the monsters were on top of us". But I can also rationalize that these people were emotionally spent, at the end of their collective mental rope, and truly believed there was no other way out. Drayton promised his son that he wouldn't let the monsters get him and he made good on that promise. It's fucking HARDCORE, brave and powerful. It's an ending that will prove to make that film a classic in the genre.

I saw ending as what happens when you lose hope, David and everyone in the car lost theirs (hell after seeing a six legged behemoth stride across the road, I would think the world was fucked). And that woman from the store survived because she held on to that hope of getting to kids.

It was the logical ending in my view, a horror film with a horrible* ending.

*Horrible in the what the fuck sense, just to be clear.

Thanks for clearing that up Mike. Just to add, any guy that enjoyed There Will Be Blood has good taste in cinema in my book.

As for the ending to The Mist...

The irony of it, made the overall film, better.

I knew all along (not having read the book) that the U.S. Military would prevail and that David and company shoulda waited it out. What he did, he did as an act of bravery. Unfortunately sometimes hiding under the bed can work much better.

I really liked the film and despite the "Not perfect" CGI effects, found it to be more about the characters than the monsters outside. People will only reveal their true identities when compromised. There's also a very subtle underline in the film that suggests fanaticism is more than just an ignorant way of life, but in extreme cases a real danger. Obviously all us here in America know this and Marcia Gay Harden embodied it. Seeing her bite the bullet was a triumphant moment for me, where I actually yelled out "FUCK YEAH!!! AND ITS ABOUT GOD DAMN TIME!!!".

I'm afraid to enter the IMDB charlie point. I may end up in my longest tour on a message board that may take up over a hundred battle driven posts.

Then again, its a walk in the park compared to RAW's vey own Punisher: War Zone thread.

-TL

TL you have to see the movie in black and white. The tentacle attack looks a lot better, and it really is my preferred way of seeing the movie.

I saw the B&W cut, and had fun watching it.

The problem is, a film's overall impact for me is based on my theatrical experience when watching it.

Perhaps that B&W version shoulda been the theatrical version?

Rendition and There Will Be Blood are two of the best examples of films that just don't feel the same on DVD.

I have a 42" Plasma Pioneer 1080p TV. The sound is fantastic and the picture is worth the $5000 I spent on it while working at Best Buy for 6 months.

It still cannot replicate the in-theater experience.

I'm really worried about Cloverfield next week. I watched it digital in theatres and I just know it won't be the same here at the house.

-TL

Obviously most of this is another prime example of how the internet allows anyone with a cursory knowledge of typing and an email account, the power to share their amazing insight with the rest of the world. It makes about as much sense as reading customer reviews on Itunes :blink:.

It certainly has the power to get under one's skin. I know that I have felt compelled to respond to certain nitwit assholes who had nothing better to do with their time than to attack me and my artwork personally when they have no idea what they are talking about. I have answered these "critics" from time to time, more in an effort to set the record straight for all of the other brainless rubes that are going to read such moronic verbal diarrhea and take it as truth. I have pride in my work and if that's a sin than tough shit, I've sinned before. I know Tom takes pride in his work as well. And when you read crap like this, even KNOWING that the people in question are not going to win any IQ competitions in the near future, it hurts.

My friends tell me to ignore this crap and that is good advice. But I sometimes cannot let it go, especially if the forum in question is a respected one where people that know me are going to have to read such lameness. That advice is easy to give, but very difficult to put into practice ;)

Regardless, most of us know better than to put ANY stock in the ridiculous negative comments concerning the Mist and Tom's performance over on IMDB. It boggles my mind how anyone can be so obtuse. You didn't like it or it didn't work for you, fine. That says something about you. It says all I need to know.

I appreciate that some of you have taken the time to let your feelings be known on the subject. It's always nice to read comments from folks who actually have some taste and at least half a brain in their head.

The ending has touched a lot of nerves. People love it or hate it. I love it as uncompromising and depressingly blunt. AND perhaps a thumb of the nose to the formula happy ending. Darabont DARED to break the formula. To me it makes the film one to remember for a long time.

As for Jane's performance, I could not have been more proud of him. His performance at the end of the film especially, broke my heart.

He made me forget that I see, talk, and work with him on a regular basis. I forgot about Jane and only saw Drayton (after about the first 15 minutes).

No bullshit. No bias.

- TB

Beautifully stated, Tim. I agree wholeheartedly.

Mediumfan

The Mist is one of the few King adaptations I've seen without reading the book. One thing that King does in all his horror stories that carried over very well was focusing on the human element. The realism and prismatic response of all the characters. What I liked most in Jane's character was his obvious disinterest in taking charge. He only became a leader when it was obvious no one else was capable, and to protect his son. In most horror films there is an immediate "alpha" character that takes control and leads throughout the story. While we all knew it would be Jane because of the initial focus, he wasn't particularly skilled at the job or even interested in having it.

I thought the ending was something a mainstream movie couldn't have had 10 years ago, the test screenings wouldn't have accepted it.

As for "getting" the ending, I don't think that is really the case. Some people like certain movies, some don't. Some people are more likely to bash them online, some aren't. I had alot of problems with the Punsiher, none of them had to do with Jane's performance as Frank. But just because you don't like one film doesn't mean you can't like another.

By the way, it's interesting to note that the person connected to starting this ridiculous crapfest, "iamxvindicated", has taken shots at Jane before (or since) - http://imdb.com/name/nm0005048/board/threa...p;p=1#101948540

Makes it painfully obvious that we're dealing with someone with a personal vendetta who's just spewing their own vitriol.

So classy.

- TB

I saw the B&W cut, and had fun watching it.

The problem is, a film's overall impact for me is based on my theatrical experience when watching it.

Perhaps that B&W version shoulda been the theatrical version?

Rendition and There Will Be Blood are two of the best examples of films that just don't feel the same on DVD.

I have a 42" Plasma Pioneer 1080p TV. The sound is fantastic and the picture is worth the $5000 I spent on it while working at Best Buy for 6 months.

It still cannot replicate the in-theater experience.

I'm really worried about Cloverfield next week. I watched it digital in theatres and I just know it won't be the same here at the house.

-TL

There Will Be Blood was amazing in the theater. I loved every second of it and alot of people hated how that film ended to. But I love that film alot and the ending was perfect for the film. I still can't get milkshake quote out of my head. "Drainage! Drainage, Eli! Drained dry, you boy! If you have a milkshake and I have a milkshake and I have a straw and my straw reaches across the room and starts to drink your milkshake. I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!"

But when I saw The Mist in theaters I had the same feeling and I had the same experience and when the ending happened people were actually walking out. I couldn't believe that. To me the ending was possibly the best scene of the whole film. I just lost it.

JO

I'm often the type that likes a warm and fuzzy ending, but I also have a lot of respect for GOOD films with endings that are upsetting. The point is that it made people feel something, though depressing and sad as hell, it affected us. That's always what I want a movie to do- David Drayton made me cry, and Mrs. Carmody made me scream. I really loved this film.

People (imdb) who don't have a soul make me sad.

If they waited and everyone in the car lived, then it would be another just another horror film. Don't get me wrong, I loved the hell out of this movie and it has a lot going for it. It was very well done and as for a horror film, it's one of the best in I don't know how long. But I do feel that if everyone lived, the movie would not have the impact and it would not be the movie I've been talking about since last Thanksgiving.

The biggest reason that everyone is still talking about it is because of the ending. As for me, it was one of those things in a film where I didn't like the ending at all, but yet I loved it and thought it was great. That's what makes for a good film, after you walk out and go home, you are still thinking about it, and The Mist does just that.

Yeah, I'd like to see them all live, but man, that is a perfect ending for a horror film. What else could be more disturbing? Even if they where killed by monsters, it would not be as disturbing. My hat's off to Frank for creating it and Tom for bringing it to life.

Guest AdminGuyX

Well, I hate IMDB, but I'll go sign up and give those fuckers some whatfor. :)

Every time I discuss The Mist, it's mostly about the ending. Which is too bad because the movie has some great sequences in it that are just damn cool, and very well executed that I feel get overlooked some times.

The end seems to be one of those moment in a film that incites the age old "If that we're me" argument, or even the dreaded "In real life" arguements.

I am not fond of either.

Even if I make them occasionally. ;)

But with a film like the Mist it's not real life. My general statement in those discussions is: "If it were me, everyone would have jumped out of the truck when the giant monster walked by because I'd shit myself. Badly."

This is one of those films, Green Mile included, that lives inside Stephen King's head. It just felt like a King novel through and through, and Darabont is the only director who can do that. I don't know what kind of ethereal connection he has with King, but God bless the man. He's awesome.

Plus he owns a cool Spinner replica, so he's family as far as I'm concerned! :)

OK, I'll go check out IMDB now.

Njc-----------

By the way, it's interesting to note that the person connected to starting this ridiculous crapfest, "iamxvindicated", has taken shots at Jane before (or since) - http://imdb.com/name/nm0005048/board/threa...p;p=1#101948540

Makes it painfully obvious that we're dealing with someone with a personal vendetta who's just spewing their own vitriol.

So classy.

- TB

Like the film or hate the film, the last thing you can honestly do is call Tom Jane a horrible actor.

No ass kissing intended on the next statement...

Jane's name is one of those that is on my short list. If he is attached to a movie I will go see it. No matter what. You are always going to get an amazing performance from him, ALWAYS!

And I am one of the people who does not agree with the ending. After viewing the movie again, I can accept it and understand that everybody has a breaking point, and TJ and Darabont did a great job getting the viewer to that characters breaking point. That's what I like about this movie.

So fuck those morons at imdb, and most especially "iamvindicated" (in latin I think that means, "I have a small penis so I hate everybody who is a man.")

Over the past few years, the IMDB boards have taken a sharp turn downwards. No matter what movie or actor's page I go there is so much hate and discontent.

Over the past few years, the IMDB boards have taken a sharp turn downwards. No matter what movie or actor's page I go there is so much hate and discontent.

You said it, JeffeyB, and it's a shame, because there is a lot of good info at IMDB.com, and there are some decent posters (people who post messages, not the flyers - :lol: ) who try to contribute something useful to the 'conversation'.

I basically read the threads over there for info about films and performers, not the mostly-crappy opinions.

Tom - do NOT be down or angry or concerned about what's posted at IMDB.com!! Pretty much every film and every performer there has inane and hateful messages from idiots who don't have anything better to do with their time than bash other peeps and movies. It's not worth the aggravation to worry over that lot who post those types of messages...IMHO... :D

Jen

Hey-

I'm with Jen- don't let criticism and comments irritate or effect you- and that goes for good ones as well!

Most people who appreciate the film don't fucking log on to websites and those that do are usually motivated by sounding like a hard-ass bitch online. Its rare to get constructive criticsm and they are there but are usually smothered by loud fucks tryin to be big. Its a biased view and will distort what you think the genral audience impression is. Just scan for the intelligent ones (not just people who like it) but ones that have something substantial to say and you may learn that ones negative reaction may be an useful input. Its pretty easy to filter out bashers at imdb

If you are gonna go surfing peoples ideas- you got to keep it in perspective.

and answer me this one easy question please- does this word mean anything to you- 'cexcean'

It would mean a great deal to me.

take it easy~

sveinx

Yeah man don't let suckers make you mad. For me I just consider everyone stupid and uneffective to me until I know them. so don't let idiots who talk shit ruin your day. Besides This is advice from a 16 year old haha, but good enough.