Sign in to follow this  
Tim Bradstreet

Bad Planet #5 In Stores!

BP5Kalutaaltered4TDL.jpg

Timing couldn't have been worse for getting issue #5 done. I had pages all ready to work on when I got the call from Jane to go work on and production design "Dark Country" at the end of last September. I had to up and take off for Albuquerque for preproduction and 8 weeks of filming. Got back home with a little decompress and then the holidays hit.

Didn't get a chance to nail out Jim and I's 8 pages until the new year. I actually brought the pages with me to Albuquerque with the naive intent to work on them.

Then I found out how much work it takes to make a film ;)

By the time I got finished in late January, our colorist Grant was busy working on Steve Niles and Bernie Wrightson's "Dead She Said", and we had to wait until he could work on the pages to get everything done. Add to that, our letterer was out of communicato and hard to reach, he's also our production guy (he puts the books together for Image). This knocked us back even further. It's been 6-7 weeks since we turned everything over to Image so we should be seeing it any time now.

Keep on the lookout this coming Wednesday. (Edited - Wednesday April 16) - It's out! Go buy it!

Dave Kendall's pin-up for issue #6.

BPwarrior.jpg

BP#5 features a gorgeous 16 page Convict flashback story by the one and only Dave Kendall!

All of that wrapped up in 8 pages from your regular art team, me and Jim Daly.

Issue 6 should be out in June. I'm in the middle of finishing that up as we speak.

We apologize for the sporadic releases on Bad Planet. It's something that way back, when Lewis Larosa was penciling, I had specific time blocked out in order to ink it on a schedule. But when Lewis dropped out of the picture all that changed. It took us months to find a new penciler, Mistah Jim Daly! But by then my schedule had gotten so jammed that there was no way I could ink it on any kind of schedule. Tom and I talked about it and decided that we didn't want to get a guest inker for an issue, and that anyone else inking the book in general was not going to be an option. We wanted to keep this art team intact. The price we paid was having a book that just couldn't be shipped on any kind of regular schedule. But, we do feel that Bad Planet, in spite of it's tardy releases, is still one of the best books out there. Just remember to have your retailer order, or REORDER it for you.

Thanks - TB

Ok, I picked this thing up a few hours ago and had to wait to get back from the gym to read it.

Good as usual and I hate to think its gonna take two months for me to read the conclusion.

Street, I see the ad for RAW's color version of Hairball in here.

What a shame its become another Lurkers movie poster.

I love the cover of issue 6. Can you post it on here now?

-TL

Street, I see the ad for RAW's color version of Hairball in here.

What a shame its become another Lurkers movie poster.

I love the cover of issue 6. Can you post it on here now?

-TL

That's hilarious. We did not approve the addition of the Hairball ad, which means our production guy Jason must've screwed the pooch.

Tom and I approved a pdf of the whole issue +ads (or the lack of) and that ad was not there when we approved.

Jason must have thought he was doing the right thing by filling the left over space with our own ad.

I think he just forgot it's no longer going to happen.

Cover to issue 6 -

I'll post our ad for the Dave Stevens issue #6 cover as a part of our preview thread for that issue very soon.

Unfortunately it wasn't entirely completed before he passed so it may be a bit longer before you can see a final version we'll take to print.

- TB

well i've got the cover here, and it's actually a lot more done than the last time Tim and I saw it.

the figure work is 98% complete. there may be a little 'ghosting' by a special artist who has chosen

to remain uncredited at this time. but Dave did a fantastic job with it, as usual, and i can't wait for

folks to see it in it's full glory, which will be when it hits the stands in June. we MAY do a sneek right

here on this thread, before it comes out. but till then, we'll just have to polish our drool cups and wait.

looking forward to your thoughts and comments about ish 5 and Dave Kendall's amazing work, right

up there with the unbeatable Bradstreet/Daly combo. it was not easy to find a talent that could hold his own

with that team, but damn if the Kendall didn't deliver.

it's a great issue, and as great as it is, my favorite

of the bunch remains ish 6, which Tim is cranking on now. Daly just hits a groove that is so smooth and

sweet, it's gonna leave a creamy taste in the mouth for a long time coming. that and the knock out cover by

Dave Stevens makes it very special to me.

Tim says we might even get a sneek at a couple pages coming up in the next few. bring it on Timmy!

TJ

Well I picked up #5 today, so I'll post my thoughts on what I've seen. One thing that struck me in my first read-through was page five frame 3. The convict almost looks anguished there, but it's not contextually appropriate. Perfect picture of emotion though. The rest of the issue (and the others before it) he keeps a straight edged composure.

The way the convict carries himself and interacts makes me think of Clint Eastwood's Stranger if he landed on another world. Very much a sci-fi cowboy. Good use of the Australian to represent the "every man" of Earth. Not dumb, but obviously not as capable as he thinks he is. And thank you for having a woman in the story without her being a "romantic interest".

I'm anxious to see how you guys will handle the Convict's deathwish. Let him die killing the spiders, make him face life without a home for the sake of our world, or something else I haven't thought of yet...

Got this today, and WOW!! Another one outta the park, guys!!

Beautiful artwork. Beautiful coloring. And what a story. Suddenly it all makes sense (Almost. I mean, who sent the spiders?) Hopefully, we'll get some more answers in issue #6, right, guys? :lol:

I LOVED the convict's backstory. Really makes him more real as a character, and three-dimensional.

Anyway, this one was as fantastic, as have all of them been so far, and I am even more excited to see the conclusion to this story (not that I want to see it end, just to see how it ends).

Can't wait for the next. Don't keep us in suspense too long. Okay, boys? ;)

Mediumfan

tesla_nikola.jpg

2081875026_0678b94c5e.jpg

Loved the nod to the most radical scientist ever.

These two are of a tesla coil at Burning Man spitting out 1.21 Jigawatts

26781637_b09174cc29.jpg

94515388_f939bff769.jpg

and this one is at some motherfucker's house who's got nothing to do.

98272227_4f6f848bd4.jpg

Edison is the poor man's Tesla. Edison actually hired Nikola to come over and work on this one 'minor' problem he had with A/C D/C. He offered him $100,000 back in 1879 or something- which is equivalent to a million dollars. Tesla came and solved Edison's little problem and zap- Edison is named the inventor of electricity. And when Tesla came to him to collect, Edison says, 'Oh, you didn't know? That was just a customary figure of speech in America. You didn't really think I was gonna give you a hundred thousand dollars did you?' Tesla dug ditches on the grounds of Edisons laboratory to make ends meet in the nation founded on theft.

anyways, cool production on Bad Planet.

Untitled-1.jpg

Fuckin' bitch.

tesla1.gif

sveinx

Guest FADoss

So I finally got my special order issue 5 yesterday (along with a TPB of Criminal Macabre) from the local comic shop. I love the way the story is developing. The decision to make our alien hero the one who unleashed the spiders on his planet would have been cheesy handled by many others...too coincidental(much like the Star Wars prequels). However, you guys nailed it.

All I'm wondering right now is who's going to voice our lead in the film? Vin Diesel or Ron Perlman? :P

Fred

Right on Fred. The flashback was pure comic genius. They took control the the mediums greatest features and used them to full advantage. I can't wait for issue #6, and I'm really looking forward to the second arc.

We apologize for the sporadic releases on Bad Planet. It's something that way back, when Lewis Larosa was penciling, I had specific time blocked out in order to ink it on a schedule. But when Lewis dropped out of the picture all that changed. It took us months to find a new penciler, Mistah Jim Daly! But by then my schedule had gotten so jammed that there was no way I could ink it on any kind of schedule. Tom and I talked about it and decided that we didn't want to get a guest inker for an issue, and that anyone else inking the book in general was not going to be an option. We wanted to keep this art team intact. The price we paid was having a book that just couldn't be shipped on any kind of regular schedule.