Sign in to follow this  
Tim Bradstreet

Charlton Heston 1924 - 2008

Charlton Heston passed away at his home Saturday night, the cause of death has not been released, he was 84.

Heston was a hero to millions of fans as he rose to the top of heap in Hollywood in the late 50's with starring roles in such classics as "The Ten Commandments", "Ben Hur", "El Cid", "The Agony And The Ecstasy" "Major Dundee", the noir classic "Touch Of Evil", and the now classic Sci-Fi thrillers, "Planet Of The Apes", "The Omega Man", and "Soylent Green". In recent years he became a target for his outspoken politics, mainly on behalf of the NRA.

But Heston was much more than that and should also be remembered as a man who stood at the head of the line during the Civil Rights movement when it wasn't at all popular. He served as President of the Screen Actor's Guild from 1966-1971. And on top of it all he mixed being a world famous movie star along with raising a family and staying married to the same woman for 64 years. No small feat in Tinseltown.

"Charlton Heston was seen by the world as larger than life," Heston's family said in a statement. "We knew him as an adoring husband, a kind and devoted father, and a gentle grandfather with an infectious sense of humor. He served these far greater roles with tremendous faith, courage and dignity."

Whether you agreed with his politics or not you have to give him credit for standing tall in the face of adversity. He gave up his salary to the studio in order to keep Sam Peckinpah in the director's chair for 1965's "Major Dundee". For 1958's "Touch Of Evil", he played an instrumental role in the hiring of Orson Welles to direct (as well as co-star) the picture when no one else would give him a job. He stood by his friends through thick and thin. Folks like Yakima Canutt, the world famous stuntman, stunt coordinator, and second unit director, as well as his son Joe (who doubled for Heston in Ben Hur's famous chariot race).

Love him or hate him, he was a man of great character and conviction.

- TB

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?...25&GT1=7701

Heston, son Fraser, and the incredible Jack Hawkins, on the set of Ben Hur.

Heston had a Roman Legionnaire costume made especially for his young son.

HestonCharltonBen-Hur_03.jpg

I liked good old Charlton. One of my favorite flicks of his is The Naked Jungle with Eleanor Parker. They never mention that one, but I found it fascinating.

He always had a magnificent presence on screen.

I love that movie. Scared the hell out of me when I saw it as a kid.

Heston was THE movie star of my youth. It seemed like he was in every big movie (most of which I saw on TV).

He was the first "action type hero" I fell in love with as a fan.

I got a lotta love for 'ol Chuck.

- TB

Heston was THE movie star of my youth. It seemed like he was in every big movie (most of which I saw on TV).

He was the first "action type hero" I fell in love with as a fan.

- TB

I guess that's true. I had never thought of him that way, but looking back at his films....

Guest AdminGuyX

A Touch of Evil will forever be one of my favorite films, and Heston one of my favorite actors of all time.

I'll have to watch Touch of Evil tonight, maybe Planet of the Apes too.

For it's EPIC-NESS, I just love Ten Commandments, El-Cid and of course BEN HUR.

I will always love his making SOYLENT GREEN such a damned good movie.

But my all time favorite Heston movie...should suprise no one who reads my posts...it's a western of course...ah, but not the one you are thinking of...My favorite Heston flick will always be WILL PENNY, I sit there anytime and marvel at this tuff guys acting chops in that movie. It sold me forever on this man as an actor.

for TV roles his turn in CHIEFS was pretty damned freaking good!

But my all time favorite Heston movie...should suprise no one who reads my posts...it's a western of course...ah, but not the one you are thinking of...My favorite Heston flick will always be WILL PENNY, I sit there anytime and marvel at this tuff guys acting chops in that movie. It sold me forever on this man as an actor.

I was just stopping by to make note of Will Penny, too. I think we posted about this flick in the favorite western movies thread. One more Charlton Heston gem I want to mention is The War Lord.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059896/

Cool flick with great support from Richard Boone and Guy Stockwell.

I was just stopping by to make note of Will Penny, too. I think we posted about this flick in the favorite western movies thread. One more Charlton Heston gem I want to mention is The War Lord.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059896/

Cool flick with great support from Richard Boone and Guy Stockwell.

Wow, there is a movie I haven't seen in awhile, the Warlord, isn't that the one where he skewered James Farentino on a log pole so he could steal his wife? Richard Boon was pretty darn good in it too.

Wow, there is a movie I haven't seen in awhile, the Warlord, isn't that the one where he skewered James Farentino on a log pole so he could steal his wife? Richard Boon was pretty darn good in it too.

Yep, something like that. Rosemary Forsyth was promised to James Farentino, but the War Lord had first dibs with her (to put it rather indelicately), and decided to keep her. James didn't take too kindly to that. Obviously, this was WAY before women's lib. :rolleyes: