Tim Bradstreet

Bad Planet 1 and 2 -

After MUCH hardship we finally got issue #2 of BAD PLANET out this past August.

Many of you already know the saga of the long strange trip it's been.

I'll keep it short and sweet here but if you are interested in more details you can check out the Official BAD PLANET Blog on MySpace - http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...endID=169971010

Just go into the archive (left of page) and search for older posts. Details were posted July 30, 2007.

So suffice it to say that after shipping BAD PLANET #1 in December of '05, we ended up losing our second penciler (Lewis LaRosa) and the book stalled. A real shame as fan reaction and sales were uncommonly great. It took us some time to get the book back on track which started by finding the right guy to take over where LaRosa led off. Enter James Daly. Jimmy boy took the reigns and RAN with 'em. But before we could unleash this goodness on the world at large we thought perhaps it might be best if we had most of the series in the can before announcing the return. Many people thought BAD PLANET had dropped off the face of it's namesake. Folks wrote it off for dead. But Tom, Steve and I never gave up on it.

So after a lengthy hiatus we're back. And not just with issue #2. We also did a re-release of issue #1 so folks could start fresh with the entire story. There is no gimmick involved. We were very disappointed with the way the original issue #1 was printed, very dark and muddy. So re-releasing issue #1 gave us the opportunity to right that mistake. It also gave us a chance to welcome Jim Daly to the family by giving him the cover. Tom was tireless with his exhaustive search to find the right paper and the right printer to make our books shine - Well, actually they don't shine because we chose a very badass matte paper to print on. A far superior product compared to the original printing. With Tom and I, from the production side, it's quality first. We want to be proud of these things when we're old and grey.

Anyway, apologies for the lengthy diatribe. Let us know what you think of these first two issues, and get ready for issue #3 which ships this month!

Big thanks to James Daly, Bernie Wrightson (who mastered the strokes of our issue #2 cover), Jason Hanley, and the good folks at IMAGE.

- TB

Howdy!

It has been completely awesome to have a key role in bringing back Bad Planet to the shelves. Before I was asked by Tim and Tom to finish the series, I was definitely one of the people waiting for that next issue that never came. I love the characters, and the story... and I have to say.... in a way I wish I was getting to read the series as it came out, as a fan. I have put my best efforts into penciling this series because of that.

Getting to work with Tim and Tom on all the art and designs for this series has been a total blast.

When I get some time, I will post some preview pencils up here form upcoming issues.

--Jim

After MUCH hardship we finally got issue #2 of BAD PLANET out this past August.

Many of you already know the saga of the long strange trip it's been.

I'll keep it short and sweet here but if you are interested in more details you can check out the <A Href="http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendID=169971010"target=_blank">Official BAD PLANET Blog on MySpace.</A> Just go into the archive (left of page) and search for older posts. Details were posted July 30, 2007.

So suffice it to say that after shipping BAD PLANET #1 in December of '05, we ended up losing our second penciler (Lewis LaRosa) and the book stalled. A real shame as fan reaction and sales were uncommonly great. It took us some time to get the book back on track which started by finding the right guy to take over where LaRosa led off. Enter James Daly. Jimmy boy took the reigns and RAN with 'em. But before we could unleash this goodness on the world at large we thought perhaps it might be best if we had most of the series in the can before announcing the return. Many people thought BAD PLANET had dropped off the face of it's namesake. Folks wrote it off for dead. But Tom, Steve and I never gave up on it.

So after a lengthy hiatus we're back. And not just with issue #2. We also did a re-release of issue #1 so folks could start fresh with the entire story. There is no gimmick involved. We were very disappointed with the way the original issue #1 was printed, very dark and muddy. So re-releasing issue #1 gave us the opportunity to right that mistake. It also gave us a chance to welcome Jim Daly to the family by giving him the cover. Tom was tireless with his exhaustive search to find the right paper and the right printer to make our books shine - Well, actually they don't shine because we chose a very badass matte paper to print on. A far superior product compared to the original printing. With Tom and I, from the production side, it's quality first. We want to be proud of these things when we're old and grey.

Anyway, apologies for the lengthy diatribe. Let us know what you think of these first two issues, and get ready for issue #3 which ships this month!

Big thanks to James Daly, Bernie Wrightson (who mastered the strokes of our issue #2 cover), Jason Hanley, and the good folks at IMAGE.

- TB

Jimmy! you should be very proud of your work on bad planet. The art is stunning. As I was saying to Tim it really is a remarkable series....and no-one else is doing anything like it at the moment.

Fan-Freakin'-Tastic, Jim!

What I've seen so far looks like the best you've ever done.. great character work, as usual. I think that lady of yours is having a good effect on your work ;)

I'll make everyone here at Certain Affinity go out and buy a few copies. It's been crazy busy out here, but I'm headed to Austin Books this Friday to grab some quality Jim Daly nourishment. We'll chat soon! Rock on, my friend.

Rock.

On.

-Brad

Howdy!

It has been completely awesome to have a key role in bringing back Bad Planet to the shelves. Before I was asked by Tim and Tom to finish the series, I was definitely one of the people waiting for that next issue that never came. I love the characters, and the story... and I have to say.... in a way I wish I was getting to read the series as it came out, as a fan. I have put my best efforts into penciling this series because of that.

Getting to work with Tim and Tom on all the art and designs for this series has been a total blast.

When I get some time, I will post some preview pencils up here form upcoming issues.

--Jim

Hey guys!

It's Jen, the owner of the Thomas Jane 2 Yahoo Group (among others on Tom - LOL). I'm going to be a lazy ass for the moment and just cut 'n' paste my "review" of Bad Planet that I wrote up yesterday and posted to my Group.

I would have written up more, but I'm under time constraints at the moment and couldn't get my head into writing up a huge review of issues #1 - #3, but right now I just want to say - AMAZING WORK!! Ok, here's my short review/overview:

I recently got my eyes on the first three issues of the Bad Planet

comic book, and I have to say that Tom, Steve Niles, Tim Bradstreet,

and company are some pretty creative and hard-working guys! I'm not

a comic book aficionado by a long shot, but I know a great story when

I read one (and see one), and Bad Planet is that type of story,

brought vividly to life through the comic book medium.

Not a single panel is wasted in bringing this "twisted tale" to the

reader. It's an adventure into the unknown, enthusiastically

brimming with kaleidoscopic possibilities, but also a very timely

commentary about our world today. What surprised me in a good way

was the fact that the story of Bad Planet can be taken on different

levels. You can just take it "superficially", as an eye-popping, joy-

ride fantasy (with plenty of slicing `n' dicing and swearing), or

more deeply, as a parable of modern times – about the destruction and

corruption that is happening to our planet right now.

The guys don't shy away from touching on hot topics like politics,

religion, and science, but they do it in an entertaining way that is

natural for the storyline to progress. Governments are ineffectual

in the face of worldwide destruction, the military shoot first and

ask later, and alien species are taking over the planet (just like

what's happening now for some environmentally invasive species).

The scope of the story is huge, in creative and topical ideas, but

also in geography and characters. So far, in these three issues, the

US (Arizona and Washington, D.C.), South Africa, Australia, the UK,

and various locations in outer space are represented. We are

introduced to several characters, including terse, but effective Dr.

Crighton from Australia, busty, but brainy Veronica Falcon of the

Department Of Planetary Defense, Dr. Opit, a whiz-kid scientist in

the UK, an un-named African kid who is mysterious, but essential to

the plot, and, of course, "The Convict", an almost-indestructible

alien species that comes to Earth on a mission…

On the surface Bad Planet is geared towards the inner 15-year old boy

in all of us – LOL - with its swearing (the censoring of expletives

is haphazard at best. Sometimes Sh*t is spelled out, sometimes it's

not), scantily-clad women (well, only one woman so far, Veronica

Falcon, and I guess her intellect balances out her skimpy wardrobe),

and widespread violence (darn those alien death spiders, laying waste

to innocent citizens of Washington, D.C.!). While Bad Planet may not

exactly be to everyone's taste (as in, it's a rock-`em, sock-`em, sci-

fi adventure), it's hard not to appreciate the effort, fertile

imagination, images dense with detail, sharp, wry dialogue and ideas,

and tackling of important issues.

As a female of the human species though, I would appreciate more guy-

candy to gawk at…I guess the strong and silent alien "Convict" will

have to do – LOL.

Jen

Hey, I'm as bummed as you are on the lack of guy candy.

But we do have plenty of men in uniform!

Stay tuned for "The Lycan", you'll have plenty of guy candy there to be sure.

And thanks Jen, for the awesome review.

We're going to try and post some preview pages from issue #4 this week sometime!

Stay tuned.

- Tb

PS, welcome Brad and Jen!

I have read nothing but good reviews for Bad Planet but was wondering if it's been released in the UK and Ireland yet. If so where can I get it and if not when is it coming over here.

I'm too lazy to research this online myself! :P

Hey brother Brad!

Thanks so much, and yeah she definitely has all kinds of good influences on me. I am going to give Streetie-Pie a lot of credit here for really pushing me on this series art-wise, and improving my pencil work through his art direction. It was a challenge to change styles on this at first, but now on this last issue it's a breeze. I think Bad Planet #6 will be the best issue, in terms of my work on it penciling.

Heck yeah! Thanks for the support my friend!!! I really, REALLY miss Austin Books! Say hey to Brad at the store when your there for me.

Miss you and yer lady! Hopefully see you in October.

PS-- Brad here is an amazing concept artist, we worked together for a while on Richard Garriot's: Tabula Rasa. www.playtr.com. He's an amazing talent. Especially amazing with Industrial Desgin work. No doubt you and the guys at Certain Affinity are making some really special stuff.

Cheers man!

--Jim

Fan-Freakin'-Tastic, Jim!

What I've seen so far looks like the best you've ever done.. great character work, as usual. I think that lady of yours is having a good effect on your work ;)

I'll make everyone here at Certain Affinity go out and buy a few copies. It's been crazy busy out here, but I'm headed to Austin Books this Friday to grab some quality Jim Daly nourishment. We'll chat soon! Rock on, my friend.

Rock.

On.

-Brad

I just wanted to add a few other comments about Bad Planet - about why I thinks it's so cool -

The colors pop and the pencils are detailed -

the action is on a grand scale and plentiful, especially is issues #2 and #3, which have much more alien creature rampaging and carnage) -

the creation of a fully-realized world (well, universe, actually), but still keeping it "real", meaning real locations and people, meaning you see buildings like the Pentagon in Washington, D.C., etc... and even see Prez Bush on TV in a very "telling" cameo

Africa and Australia are also realistically portrayed - so much attention to detail! -

and I love how the various aliens speak in their own native languages, and only some of it is roughly translated into English -

and the diversity of crazy creatures unleashed when the NEO(s) land (Near Earth Objects) -

and, of course, one bad-ass alien Convict! B)

It's a must-see, must-read peeps!

Jen

I haven't read all of these yet. I've got #2 & 3, but I'm waiting for #1 (which I've ordered online) to arrive before I read the entire thing and give my opinion of it in detail. The only one I've looked at it is #3, because I was dying to see the 3-D stuff that they did. Hopefully, I'll be getting #1 soon and I can read them all together.

I wanted to add this. I don't know if this could be considered a compliment or an insult, but I was browsing on ebay, and I entered Thomas' name to see what came up. And lo and behold, there was a Bad Planet #1, signed by Thomas Jane. I was sssoooo tempted to buy it, but the opening bid was $49.99.

I'm not sure what to think of that, but I wish I could buy it. That would be the coolest collectible issue to have. Darnit!

Mediumfan

Searching now to find copies of this! Frustrated my store didn't have this

when it came out!

If you're still looking, try midtown comics.com or mycomicshop.com. I found Bad Planet #1, Alien Pig Farm #2 and #3, and the first two of the Criminal Macabre; Two Red Eyes books on those sites.

Just a suggestion.

mediumfan

Guest FADoss

After searching high and low, I finally found issues #1-4 in a comic shop in San Antonio today!!! Looks like I've got a nice read ahead of me this evening!!!

Frederic

After searching high and low, I finally found issues #1-4 in a comic shop in San Antonio today!!! Looks like I've got a nice read ahead of me this evening!!!

Frederic

you're not the only one behind!

i'm going to have to grab them online somewhere, my local guy just isn't going to carry them at all.

i don't really blame him, it's a VERY small town, and he's barely keeping his doors open. he really can't carry everything, and i don't know that the books would have much market here besides me...

Frederic

Hey Frederic,

I'm going to be in San Antonio at the end of the month and I was just wondering if you (or anyone else out there) knew of any comic shops in and/or near the River Walk area. I'm going to have some time on my hands and will be checking out the shops around there. I need to get Bad Planet #4 and #5, so I'd prefer to buy them in a store instead of my mail if possible.

Thanks for any info,

K-skye

Hard to say who exactly would have the issues.

Try calling around to a few of your locals and check to see if they have the book in stock.

Or try a bigger shop like Forbidden Planet.

Good luck!

- TB

David is in the know.

Follow his sagely advice and you would be hard pressed to regret it.

xoxo- TB

I have issue #1...the artwork is awesome! ...just thought I'd throw that out there. Keep up the great work! :D