Sign in to follow this  
origin1950

THOMAS JANE AS SNAKE PLISSKEN?

Talks about this remake have been floating around this board since I joined. I figured now that its come to my attention (through our Jane inside man Bradstreet) that Jane wants this, I see it fit to give it a thread for further discussion.

WARNING: I HATE REMAKES.

But, this can work. This may actually be the role that can revive Thomas Jane after 4 years of nothin.

If he combines these two looks...

standerxg0.jpg + thomasjanethepunisher2ie5.jpg = snakewv3.jpg

We got a fuckin Snake.

I usually dissaprove of any remake that pertains to a Carpenter film, but I'm making this exception NOT because I'm a fan of Jane's, but because he could live up to Russell's definitive role.

Thomas, dude, chase this fuckin project to the ends of the earth if ya have to.

-TL

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN,

PREPARE TO HATE ME.......

I have never seen Escape From New York. Shame on me. So I have no idea if I can see Jane doing this. I shall see the movie and come back with a post of an opinion. To those I have shocked and disappointed, my apologies.

-Raffi

Yeah, this would be GREAT for all parties concerned.

Mind you, this is just a wishful situation as it stands now.

It was not my intention to start any kind of internet rumor by mentioning Tom's interest in Escape From NY.

We were in New Mexico shooting Dark Country when we found out from somebody (Tom's agent?) that Gerard Butler had dropped out.

I'm sure the powers that be concerning the remake are aware of Tom's interest in seeing a script.

But also know that as far as my understanding goes, no one has contacted Jane.

The gauntlet has been thrown.

Now it's up to someone else.

It would be great, no doubt about it.

I'm not a big fan of sequels either, especially if the original film in question is a GREAT MOVIE, as Escape From New York is.

And even more especially if it's a film that is near and dear to me.

But Jane as Snake?

Sign me up.

- TB

tommy would be absolutely perfect for plissken....a character and film very near and dear to my heart. I don't like the idea of a remake but if its going to happen I can't imagine a better person to take over the role of snake.

but more than snake plissken, you know what i want to see?........TJ as the new Mad Max. Tommy get your agent on the phone to George Miller, tell him to stop fucking around with this justice league bollocks and get mad max 4 cranking again (and why not in 3D as it was rumoured at one point) its a match made in heaven!

I agree completely with TL. I think I've already stated my point that I hate remakes because let's face it, there's been about 2 out of 200 remakes that were actually better than the original film. Escape From NY is very close to me. It's one of the first films I saw with my father when I was around 5 and fell in love with it so I don't like the idea of fucking with it simply because there is no one that wanted it that could've done it like Kurt, especially not Butler. But Tom, now Tom has what I've always said was required. The look, the gruff voice, the eyes/eye, and looks good with long hair, acting ability and range, and the physical ability. This is a perfect fit. I don't see anyone in a remake of this except him. If he ain't on, sign me off.

JO

Guest AdminGuyX

You know, I like Gerard Butler. I think under the right director and with a solid script he could have done OK as Plissken, BUT, and I almost feel stupid for not seeing it until it was mentioned by Tim, Jane is absolutely friggin perfect. Butler could be good, Jane could be ICONIC in the role, as Russell was in his time, Jane could be now.

I'll try and track down the remake script, I know some people who know some people. ;)

I'm not a remake hater, do I hate most of the remakes I see? Yeah, I do. But there are those I enjoy too. Dawn of the Dead, 3:10 to Yuma, and The Thing spring to mind.

Honestly, what we need a good remake of is MegaForce.

Anybody remember MEGAFORCE?

:) I don't mean to hijack.

You know, I like Gerard Butler. I think under the right director and with a solid script he could have done OK as Plissken, BUT, and I almost feel stupid for not seeing it until it was mentioned by Tim, Jane is absolutely friggin perfect. Butler could be good, Jane could be ICONIC in the role, as Russell was in his time, Jane could be now.

I'll try and track down the remake script, I know some people who know some people. ;)

I'm not a remake hater, do I hate most of the remakes I see? Yeah, I do. But there are those I enjoy too. Dawn of the Dead, 3:10 to Yuma, and The Thing spring to mind.

Honestly, what we need a good remake of is MegaForce.

Anybody remember MEGAFORCE?

:) I don't mean to hijack.

Man, I hadn't thought of MegaForce in forever.

JO

Does it make me evil if I actually...well...kinda liked MEGAFORCE? I mean, they had all those salon hairdos, headbands and gold glimmery outfits...it was like DISCO with GUNS and lazers and bizzare armored shit...it was actually damned funny...in a gay disco sorta way...sorry no offense to gay disco lovers.

see!

megaforce-megaforce.gif

What do you expect from a director who has given us such classics as STROKER ACE and BODY SLAM?

sorry to further the hijacking of the thread...

Does it make me evil if I actually...well...kinda liked MEGAFORCE? I mean, they had all those salon hairdos, headbands and gold glimmery outfits...it was like DISCO with GUNS and lazers and bizzare armored shit...it was actually damned funny...in a gay disco sorta way...sorry no offense to gay disco lovers.

see!

megaforce-megaforce.gif

What do you expect from a director who has given us such classics as STROKER ACE and BODY SLAM?

sorry to further the hijacking of the thread...

Man, that picture is priceless haha. I forgot what the damn show looked like. Looks like John Travolta should pop out and start doing the moonwalk.

JO

Jane can definetely work the eye patch...

thomasjaneisnickfury3bld8.jpgthomasjaneisnickfurybcg8.jpgthomasjaneisnickfury2copw3.jpg

I just hope if he gets to don the snake tattoo, he'll sport a redesigned version of it kinda like what was done to the Punisher skull for the film. "Somethin equally cool but better."

snakepf2.png / thomasjaneisfrankcastlepq5.jpg

He'll have to hit the gym again, that's for sure.

-TL

Jane can definetely work the eye patch...

thomasjaneisnickfury3bld8.jpgthomasjaneisnickfurybcg8.jpgthomasjaneisnickfury2copw3.jpg

I just hope if he gets to don the snake tattoo, he'll sport a redesigned version of it kinda like what was done to the Punisher skull for the film. "Somethin equally cool but better."

snakepf2.png / thomasjaneisfrankcastlepq5.jpg

He'll have to hit the gym again, that's for sure.

-TL

Yeah, the cobra tattoo needs to be vicious. And the gym is in order but Tom can pull through. He goes the distance for his roles.

JO

When I first heard of the remake it was an interviewer asking Russel about it and how he felt about Butler taking the role. He said he didn't mind the guy himself, but felt that Snake always personified the best and worst of America. So to have a non-american play the role just didn't feel right. I definately agree. And having Jane in the role would fulfill that criteria as well as having the right look, voice, and basic attitude.

Another random quote from Russel in that interview I liked.

*The caterer on set was out of burgers and only had veggie burgers. When asked why he wouldn't eat one:* "Eating one of those is like wearing a helmet on a motorcycle. What's the fucking point?"

Personally, I'd rather see him in a western. They don't make many of those anymore. And when they do, they cast them there foreign type dudes with their generic American accents. You can throw things at me now. I don't care.

He could always be in a western as a character with an eyepatch. :mellow:

Then again, for all I know, Jane might hate being around horses.

Personally, I'd rather see him in a western. They don't make many of those anymore. And when they do, they cast them there foreign type dudes with their generic American accents. You can throw things at me now. I don't care.

He could always be in a western as a character with an eyepatch. :mellow:

Then again, for all I know, Jane might hate being around horses.

I want to see Jane in a badass Clint Eastwood type western, but I'd like to see him play Snake more than anyone out there.

As, for foreign guys doing westerns, Bale did good and had the look in 3:10 To Yuma and Crowe didn't do bad in it either. But I know where you're coming from. And I'm not even a big fan of westerns. I just like good films and I know Tom would kill, literally, in one.

JO

Some of you already know this but I've been trying to sell Tom on obtaining the rights to "The Vengeance Trail Of Josey Wales" for a while now.

Apparently the rights are tangled up and it would take something in the six figures to untangle them.

Forrest Carter's sequel to his book "Gone To Texas" (known to fans everywhere as "The Outlaw Josey Wales") is a great book.

The ending needs some work but that could get fixed.

I'm saying you get David Valdez and Clint Eastwood both involved as producers and get David Webb Peoples (Unforgiven) to do the screenplay.

The popularity of Josey Wales alone would ensure opening weekend box office.

No remake here . . . A sequel. A sequel based on a book by the original writer!

Eastwood himself owned the rights for a while but never got around to making it.

Wouldn't it be something to see Josey Wales return to the screen?

Jane has also been talking to Walter Hill about an incredible western script that Hill wrote back around the time of The Warriors.

It's a total revenge flick about a bounty hunter, whom Jane would play.

Pray that comes together too.

- TB

Some of you already know this but I've been trying to sell Tom on obtaining the rights to "The Vengeance Trail Of Josey Wales" for a while now.

Apparently the rights are tangled up and it would take something in the six figures to untangle them.

Forrest Carter's sequel to his book "Gone To Texas" (known to fans everywhere as "The Outlaw Josey Wales") is a great book.

The ending needs some work but that could get fixed.

I'm saying you get David Valdez and Clint Eastwood both involved as producers and get David Webb Peoples (Unforgiven) to do the screenplay.

The popularity of Josey Wales alone would ensure opening weekend box office.

No remake here . . . A sequel. A sequel based on a book by the original writer!

Eastwood himself owned the rights for a while but never got around to making it.

Wouldn't it be something to see Josey Wales return to the screen?

Jane has also been talking to Walter Hill about an incredible western script that Hill wrote back around the time of The Warriors.

It's a total revenge flick about a bounty hunter, whom Jane would play.

Pray that comes together too.

- TB

Sounds fuckin' great.

JO

I knew I wasn't alone in disliking [American] Westerns starring British cats.

JO, 3:10 To Yuma is hardly a Western if you compare it to true Westerns like Once Upon a Time in The West and High Noon.

Kurt Russell's inclination for an American actor to take on Snake instead of another foreigner makes perfect sense. Yet another reason why Jane could do this. Let the British and the Australians do the Historical Epics.

Leave the Westerns to us Westerners.

An American Snake?

themistdvdoy8.jpg

(That's Jane on Tuesday, March 25th)

-TL

I knew I wasn't alone in disliking [American] Westerns starring British cats.

JO, 3:10 To Yuma is hardly a Western if you compare it to true Westerns like Once Upon a Time in The West and High Noon.

Kurt Russell's inclination for an American actor to take on Snake instead of another foreigner makes perfect sense. Yet another reason why Jane could do this. Let the British and the Australians do the Historical Epics.

Leave the Westerns to us Westerners.

An American Snake?

themistdvdoy8.jpg

(That's Jane on Tuesday, March 25th)

-TL

Yeah, 3:10 To Yuma isn't like the old Leone films but I still enjoyed it for what it was. Once Upon A Time In The West is just a good film no matter what. Just watched High Plains Drifter the other day, man, I forgot how spooky Clint is in that film. Chilling performance. As far as westerns these days, nothing compares to Eastwood's legacy. We need another like that with a great american actor with alot of heart and range. Jane could fill the shoes easy, no questions asked.

Damn, that is a cool f*ckin' jacket. Jane has good taste. Well, I think we already knew that though.

JO

Guest AdminGuyX

I think Kevin Costner has made some decent westerns too. He doesn't match what Eastwood has done, but he's no slouch either. His films are not as acclaimed, but I still enjoy them. I don't know if he has a "legacy" per se, as Eastwood so clearly does. Well put JO.

But we've already got a westerns thread guys, lets not repeat ourselves here.

I didn't really agree with Kurt's opinion about Snake needing to be American, because I don't have any issue with good actors from other countries playing americans, as long as I dig the movie, and in the new script maybe Snake is from Scotland. Who knows?

But I must admit now that I think he was right, Snake needs to be played by an American actor.

On the flip side, I do have a problem with americans trying to act through bad generic european accents. :) But that's a whole other thread too probably.

I think Kevin Costner has made some decent westerns too. He doesn't match what Eastwood has done, but he's no slouch either. His films are not as acclaimed, but I still enjoy them. I don't know if he has a "legacy" per se, as Eastwood so clearly does. Well put JO.

But we've already got a westerns thread guys, lets not repeat ourselves here.

I didn't really agree with Kurt's opinion about Snake needing to be American, because I don't have any issue with good actors from other countries playing americans, as long as I dig the movie, and in the new script maybe Snake is from Scotland. Who knows?

But I must admit now that I think he was right, Snake needs to be played by an American actor.

On the flip side, I do have a problem with americans trying to act through bad generic european accents. :) But that's a whole other thread too probably.

Costner has had a few, I enjoyed Open Range alot.

Anyway, on the Snake front. I think Butler could've done alright, I have nothing against foreign actors, many have good range, Christian Bale & Gary Oldman to name a few but that's just my opinion. But I don't think Butler was the best possible choice. I really can't imagine anyone else but Tom Jane, he just seems to fit it like a glove. He's got the intensity, the rage behind the cool and collective style. The look is dead on.

I think that the new Snake needs to be a bit more edgy, not like full out, but alot has change since the original was made in the 80's. Don't lose all the elements, keep all the original elements, but add a few more. I want to see a badass cobra tattoo and some new guns, prototypes, etc. But nothing from Escape From L.A. It had a few good points but the movie was just an overall disaster. I also think the film should be a tiny bit longer. I always felt the original was too short. I wanted it to go on forever because I enjoyed Snake's company so much. ;)

But they MUST keep this line or all is off, "Call me Snake..."

Has to be in the film or else it is pointless.

_snake.jpg

efny_shot6_l.jpg

_nyst07.jpg

_escape.jpg

-snake.jpg

JO

Like Jane's bit of Russian in The Punisher? :P

I'm no linguist, but I think sometimes a spot on accent can add to a character, and if it's not there, the natives know it. No matter what country we're talking about. Last comment on that subject. :mellow:

I DO think Jane would bring a lot to the role of Snake in Escape from New York if this comes to pass. He can put layers in the character that they didn't bother with in the original. Here's hoping he has a shot at it and the director has a brain.

Tom as Snake would be cool as shit... I'd see it for sure.

And one other thing... Tom's the only American Frank Castle :P

Noeland I couldn't agree with you more.

Brad Pitt was makin my blood boil with his accent in Troy. Steven Strait unfortunately just did a replay of that horror in 10,000 B.C.

I also gotta mention that Mickey Rourke's Irish dialect was total shit in both A Prayer for The Dying and Shergar.

As for Jane's South African in Stander...I loved it. No special treatment here, the guy just pulled it off.

JO, 3:10 To Yuma isn't like any Western. Watch Broken Trail, that's the best recent Western that can be called good and that deserves to be called a Western.

The Snake character is one of those things that "The American Cult" is all about. Russell and Carpenter are old school and they take pride in what they did. I myself am a third of their age and would still prefer an American as Snake.

I think I'm equally biased towards Mad Max. An American shouldn't get his hands on that role. Not even Thomas Jane. The Australians (and myself) worship Mad Max. They should get one of their own to play him. There's alot of good names. But perhaps an unknown should get it. Gibson was an unknown when he got it and it made him. It could do the same for a young bloke lookin to make it.

-TL

I also gotta mention that Mickey Rourke's Irish dialect was total shit in both A Prayer for The Dying and Shergar.

-TL

I agree with you on everything except for this. I have ties, blood/family ties, to people who are from the part of Ireland Rourke's character in Prayer For The Dying was from and I have to say that he nailed it. Sounds just like the guys I know. Some parts it is a bit edgy but that has to do with the director. Mickey spent alot of time perfecting that accent, staying around that part of Ireland, etc. Then he came back with the genuine accent and the director didn't want it like that he wanted it Hollywood style so some of the shots have Mickey just fucking the accent up and others keeping it heavy which pissed the director off. But I mean, it's over and done. That's Hollyweird for ya.

As for Snake, I agree with everything everyone has said. An american needs it, needs it bad. And if they give it away to a foreigner there is going to be hell to pay from the diehard Escape From NY fans, that's a given.

JO