Tim Bradstreet

Jane Busted

Honestly, pleading not guilty is also used to buy time to figure things out. It doesn't mean you won't change the plea later, but extends the trial to allow the lawyer to work things out between his client and the D.A. Pleading guilty is a game over. If they want to talk things over, make a deal to avoid jail time in exchange for community service, pleading not guilty (especially in a crowded court system) is the best way to make sure you have time to do that. So he is pleading not guilty to all charges, doesn't mean he isn't guilty of one or some of them. Doesn't mean he is. Maybe his license WASN'T suspended. Maybe the suspension was over but it was stuck in the system. Long shot I know, but I've had friends with weirder legal problems. Remember what I said about my insurance card? Ticket for lack of insurance when I had a perfectly good policy.

There are a few different reasons to plead not guilty and not all of them brand him as an asshole.

As for demanding he make a statement: PLEASE LET THAT PART GO! He won't (hopefully) and shouldn't make any statement right now. He doesn't owe the fans shit! He has made films and comics, promoted them, and otherwise kept himself out of the spotlight. He has been making the movies and comics he wants to make. You watch them and read them because you like them. Service provided! He doesn't milk you for "fame money". His name isn't on a fucking perfume bottle just so you will buy liquid stupid. On the Bad Planet comics is his name bigger than Steve Niles? Is his photo on the cover saying I MADE THIS BUY IT!? And the covers he has been on aren't even for his comics. He does it cuz it's fun for him! HE ENJOYS IT! And because he can! That doesn't mean he owes us anything just because we fork over cash for the things we ALSO LIKE!

In the cult of celebrity he's one of the heretics. And THAT, more than his films or comics, is why I like seeing him succeed.

Tiara: Yes he probably screwed up somewhere in all this. But the portents of Doom you prophecized on behalf of the Celebrity Cult, like a tabloid editor making a wish list, are a little much. He is far from the first actor to have legal problems, he will have the same problems with his kid most people do no matter what his history, and anyone who throws a fit about a Medium episode with drunk drivers will get a generic response (if any) from everyone involved because no one cares. Besides, you really think the writers are stupid? And an NBC add? I'm just gonna leave that alone or I will offend someone.

Yes this was an emotional response and this time I have no apology on my mind to give.

Guest FADoss

I guess it would give him a chance to plea for lesser punishment...

I'm not incredibly smart on the legal lexicon. "Not Guilty" to me sounds like "I didn't do it"...which is probably the wrong way of looking at it.

And I've said a couple times that I don't feel Tom needs to or should make a statement. Imagine those comments were directed elsewhere.

Fred

Tiara: Yes he probably screwed up somewhere in all this. But the portents of Doom you prophecized on behalf of the Celebrity Cult, like a tabloid editor making a wish list, are a little much. He is far from the first actor to have legal problems, he will have the same problems with his kid most people do no matter what his history, and anyone who throws a fit about a Medium episode with drunk drivers will get a generic response (if any) from everyone involved because no one cares. Besides, you really think the writers are stupid? And an NBC add? I'm just gonna leave that alone or I will offend someone.

Yes this was an emotional response and this time I have no apology on my mind to give.

Whoa...first off, I do not speak on behalf of the celebrity cult, so we can put that to rest here and now. I don't appreciate your implication, however, I will respect your opinion about it. I put my feelings out there, of which I am most definitely entitled to do so. It does not matter to me what you think; you don't pay my bills so you have no say so in anything concerning me or my thoughts. You want to play emotional...well you just did.

Don't worry about offending me, because you cannot. I simply expressed my opinion; I stand by it and have no intention on making apologies for it. Call it Devil's Advocate, call it a military upbringing, your comment calls for the mind over matter theory. I don't mind, because you don't matter. School will still be open on TJ's birthday... ;)

Orion, you sound offended by the idea of Jane addressing the RAW Forums on the issue.

Are you gonna get pissed off if Thomas comes out and talks to us about it???

Even if his lawyers are advising him against it, he makes his own decisions.

When Mickey Rourke called Tom Cruise a cunt, did he call his lawyer first? NO.

When Harrison Ford knocked Brad Pitt into the ground for being a prick, did he call his lawyer first? NO.

Not everybody HAS to think twice about everything they do or say or have his attorney on speed dial.

-TL

Well said Tom

Guest FADoss
Orion, you sound offended by the idea of Jane addressing the RAW Forums on the issue.

Are you gonna get pissed off if Thomas comes out and talks to us about it???

Even if his lawyers are advising him against it, he makes his own decisions.

When Mickey Rourke called Tom Cruise a cunt, did he call his lawyer first? NO.

When Harrison Ford knocked Brad Pitt into the ground for being a prick, did he call his lawyer first? NO.

Not everybody HAS to think twice about everything they do or say or have his attorney on speed dial.

-TL

Considering what we're talking about...some folks should call their lawyers before they get behind the wheel. :P

Just saying,

Fred

TL: I am not offended by the idea of him making a statement. If that is how it came across then let me clarify. If he decides to make a statement then fine. But the idea that not making a statement is somehow letting down his fans is what bothers me. It's the expectation that he owes an explanation to the public, especially at this early stage of the litigation. When I said he shouldn't make one I was speaking on a legal standpoint. It would probably be a bad idea.

Neither of the instances you mentioned involved ongoing legal matters. The consequences were PR, not legal. Were either Mickey or Harrison sued? No, because what they said was opinion and not slander. No lawyers needed. Apples and oranges in that case, but I will still address it. I don't expect him to ask permission from anyone. But since it would be (again) a BAD IDEA to do so, I figured I'd at least give a few reasons why he might not since at least 3 people in this conversation were demanding he talk to them about a very personal matter.

IF he makes a statement it will be because he wants to, not because he owes it to us.

Tiara: Yes that is your opinion, but don't be surprised when someone gives their own about something you had to say. When I post on here I fully expect any responses I might get. It's the nature of any forum. No I don't pay your bills and have no expectation that you will stop making your opinions known. But that will not stop me from disagreeing either. As for closing school on his birthday I assume that was a comment on me thinking he is some kind of hero or saint. I could probably only name about 1/2 a dozen of his films, i've only read the Bad Planet series so far (that I found out about on here), and this is the first forum that even remotely involves him I've ever been on. No hero, no saint, just a normal guy who happens to have a pretty cool job.

Truth be told I found this forum while checking out TB's myspace profile for Punisher covers. I didn't even know about RAW until then. I didn't like the Punisher film, Deep Blue Sea was a predictable horror movie with sharks instead of monsters, Dreamcatcher had a horrible ending change from the book, and I've never even considered seeing The Sweetest Thing. Stander and The Mist are the only ones I've liked.

But none of that has anything to do with this conversation. I just felt that I should make it clear that yes, I expect kids to be in school on his birthday as well.

Fred: You were right, the only part of the post meant for you was the one about the plea. Sorry if I've been long winded lately.

Orion, I have no problems with anybody speaking their mind. Everyone is entitled to it, and I respect them for it. If anyone disagrees with anything I write, believe me, I will be the first one to stand up and be held accountable for it. I don't think any less of you, or anyone here. Not in the least. This is a sensitive topic and all we are doing is sharing our thoughts about it. Yes, I will not stop practicing freedom of speech and expression. I stand by what I said and will continue to do so.

No harm, no foul. Maybe it is the New York born and raised mentality in me, but whomever pushes up on me, gets pushed back. Glad we had the exchange though and I look forward to future conversations.

Orion. I didn't mean to sound demanding. And I completely agree that it would be dumb as hell to say anything now. What I was trying to say I guess is that it would be nice if when everything is over, the court has made their decision, that Tom come on here and let us know whats up. No big details or anything, just a quick blurb about how he's doing. Sorry if that sounds unreasonable but thats just my opinion. I respect yours so please don't think otherwise.

Hold up Andrew,

Are you gonna call Thomas DUMB if he comes out and says something now???

Its not dumb as hell to speak your mind despite your legal council's best advice.

Its actually a brave and valiant thing to do that goes to say "I do what I want when I want because it concerns and reflects me alone and doesn't harm anyone else in the process."

If everyone kept quiet over legal restrictions then we'd be living in a Communist society where consequence is feared rather than considered.

A legal bind is not necessarily an honorable bind.

And another thing - we don't even know if Thomas is keeping quiet because of his lawyers.

Maybe he hasn't even been on here since that time he answered questions a while back.

Street said he's aware of this thread but didn't confirm whether or not Thomas knows we'd like to hear what really happened out there.

-TL

Guest FADoss

With everything going on...the folks on this forum are probably the last thing on the man's mind and rightfully so.

Fred

TL, I see where you are coming from. I just mean that if he came on here and told us he had a few and was speeding then that might not be the best play for him right now considering that he pleaded not guilty. However, if he came on now and told us how he got screwed and why he's pleading not quilty then sure why not. Or if he just wants to stop by and tell us he's sorry for all the confusion and he didn't do jack shit then I'm also fine with that as well. I'm just saying he shouldn't fuck himself over for his trial. I hope that made sense.

Guest AdminGuyX

Just wanted to add something here.

I don't think Tom is trying to duck out of anything, or avoid owning up to anything by pleading not guilty, and by not posting here, and I never did.

Orion posted what I was going to post, that pleading not guilty offers you some control in your own legal destiny.

I would never plead guilty to something like this either in his shoes, in any shoes. I would just never trust the judicial system that much to be fair and impartial, I'd want to have some say in the matter if possible.

Fred, you hate lawyers, well judges are just older lawyers in black robes. Know what I mean? ;)

And hey . . . "giving a shit" is a good thing. You shouldn't stop giving a shit, just adjust the way you give a shit I guess.

:)

But I know what you meant and appreciate the sentiment of that post. I'll be sure to try and remember to remind you . . .

James, by the way, very belated thank you for your post. Glad you're around man.

Glad all you guys are around to keep things interesting.

Fred, you hate lawyers, well judges are just older lawyers in black robes. Know what I mean? ;)

Hey? Is that like forum administrators who used to be crazyass posters?

Actor Thomas Jane sentenced for DUI in Kern County

USA Today Wed, 17 Sep 2008 5:20 PM PDT

Thomas Jane has pleaded no contest to drunken driving after he was clocked doing 120 mph in a Maserati.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2008-0...UI_N.htm?csp=34

"The Punisher" actor Thomas Jane pleads no contest to Kern County DUI

Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune Wed, 17 Sep 2008 5:08 PM PDT

SHAFTER, Calif. - Thomas Jane has pleaded no contest to drunken driving after he was clocked doing 120 mph in a Maserati. The star of last year's movie "The Mist" and 2004's "The Punisher" pleaded no contest Tuesday to a misdemeanor count of driving under the influence.

http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/m...s/28582089.html

Thomas Jane Cuts a DUI Deal

E! Online Wed, 17 Sep 2008 5:36 PM PDT

Patricia Arquette's hubby didn't need a medium to predict the outcome of this one. Thomas Jane was sentenced to a year's probation Wednesday after pleading no contest in...

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b29595_tho...stories&utm

Actor Thomas Jane sentenced for DUI in Kern County

The Charlotte Observer Wed, 17 Sep 2008 5:23 PM PDT

Thomas Jane has pleaded no contest to drunken driving after he was clocked doing 120 mph in a Maserati. The star of last year's movie "The Mist" and 2004's "The Punisher" pleaded no contest Tuesday to a misdemeanor count of driving under the influence. Jane wasn't in the Shafter courtroom but made the plea through his lawyer. Jane, who's married to Emmy-winning "Medium" star Patricia Arquette, ...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/162/story/198850.html

Actor Thomas Jane sentenced for impaired driving in California

Jam! Showbiz Wed, 17 Sep 2008 5:34 PM PDT

SHAFTER, Calif. - Actor Thomas Jane has pleaded no contest to drunken driving after he was clocked doing about 190 kilometres per hour in a Maserati.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Movies/2008/09/17/6797206-ap.html

Actor Thomas Jane gets 'favorable' ruling

The Bakersfield Californian Tue, 16 Sep 2008 6:24 PM PDT

SHAFTER -- The star of the Hollywood film "The Punisher" didn't need a stunt double in Kern County Superior Court on Tuesday. His Bakersfield attorney appears to have provided all the protection he needed. Actor Thomas Jane will do no additional jail time and will serve just one year of probation after pleading no contest Tuesday afternoon to a single count of driving with a 0.08 or higher blood ...

http://www.bakersfield.com/hourly_news/story/554316.html

Customer Service

Brandon Sun Wed, 17 Sep 2008 5:23 PM PDT

SHAFTER, Calif. - Actor Thomas Jane has pleaded no contest to drunken driving after he was clocked doing about 190 kilometres per hour in a Maserati. The star of last year's movie "The Mist" and 2004's "The Punisher" pleaded no contest Tuesday to a misdemeanour count of driving under the influence.

http://www.brandonsun.com/story.php?story_id=110500

I'm confused:

"One count each of misdemeanor drunken driving and possession of a controlled substance without a prescription were dismissed as a condition of the plea deal."

That was on one of the sites. What controlled substance? This worries me.

(P.S. I read these boards very regularly, but I don't usually post. I'm starting to change that.)

Love,

Charity :)

Arf, it happened to many people (including actors) after an evening a little watered for exemple... :P

And I had already heard to talk that, it seems that he also had a suspended driver's license... lol

It's not nasty, not good, but not nasty. There no had "accident", it's the principal. ;)

Arf, it happened to many people (including actors) after an evening a little watered for exemple... :P

And I had already heard to talk that, it seems that he also had a suspended driver's license... lol

It's not nasty, not good, but not nasty. There no had "accident", it's the principal. ;)

I feel badly that this happened (even though it obviously wasn't my fault.) It's sad, but the court outcome was favorable and hopefully nothing like this will happen again. All my hugs to you, Tom. I'm most surprised at the cops; here in Virginia, people get pulled a thousand times a day for stupid stuff (like speeding 10-15 miles over on the interstate, or in my awful case of reckless driving which I'll regale if asked.) We have checkpoints for no apparent reason and they make me so mad. :angry: So why did the cops let him go twice? It's puzzling and worrisome... I just wonder if it's like that for all celebrities...? Hmm...

I think it's possible that celebrities, in some cases, have receive a favour treatment.

But you should not worry about Thomas (finally I hope ... lol).

;)

My sister-in-law had a DUI last year in a small town in PA. She does not have a high profile in town, so she didn't get any special treatment, i.e she's not a celebrity. She got a similar "sentence" after pleading guilty; probabation, alcohol classes and a monetary fine. I doubt that TJ's celebrity had much to do with anything in his case. What really matters is that he admitted his guilt and his lawyer did the rest. My sister-in-law's got a similar sentence because she had an experienced lawyer as well. That's how the system works, celebrity or not, it's all about your lawyer.

And to those hardliners out there, sorry. Call me a relativist, but if I had sweet car on a great stretch of desert and was in a total funk about a friend leaving this earth which lead to a gulp or two, I'd have a hard time staying under the speed limit too. TJ's human like everyone else, he just happens to have a cooler job than most of us.

I was hestinant to sound that harsh cause I don't want to come off as righteoues. And like MikeV has said- Thomas mentioned quitting. Which is wonderful.

Obviously, i don't know what the situation is with him exactly- it could just be bad luck or an issue. Either way- it doesn't hurt to remind him that alcohol will only take you down and since artists have a slight propensity to self-destruction and subsequent downward spiral- its better to slap him on the wrist and remind him that you can get burned if you fuck with fire.

Many artists took drugs- some of their creative output was enhanced and some's deterioated but ALL of the artists i have heard in history that turned to the bottle go down.

So thomas-

I apologize for being presumptious but its always good to talk to people around you and ask what they think. And I figure if you are struggling internally with this vicous beast then make the most of your classes and probation and you may even discover a substitute for that kick you get off liquor that will prove more rewarding and productive for your life.

I'm done now.

sveinx

TJ stood up and accepted responsibility for his actions; he did not hide behind his lawyers. Which I prayed he would not do. He's a grown man, knows he fucked up, acknowledged that and those are his bricks to carry. I don't need to know what was going on in his mind at the time or the reasons why. He does not need to be told what he should or should not have done. He stood up.

I don't need him to go from brave to bitch explaining the reasons why; pay the fine; attend those classes (keep your mouth shut and don't share your business because it will end up in the National Enquirer and Star).

Over this and press on.

After this "incident" Thomas had a good reaction and I commend him for that.

Of course, and I don't talk about Thomas in particulary, I still think that celebrities have "advantages". They have money, so they can afford very good lawyers... Unless to fall on a "nice cop" who merely given the lesson... lol

After all, and I say this for everyone, in all the circumstances, good or bad, you can move you from "illicit substances", alcohol or other (it's my lifestyle since forever) .

To meditate. ;)

Just my 2 cents for what it is worth, I like to think Im a good judge of character. Mr. Jane truly seemed like a good man. So laid back , easy going and rely just a great person to his fans. Not like so many people you so want to meet , then your sad you did. Im sure you all now the kind , Stick up there ass etc. Mr. Jane couldn't of been cooler. Truly one of my fondest memories. With that said who here hasn't screwed the pooch or fucked up. We all have. None of us are perfect. The only perfect being I believe in is Jesus.

I think it be very hard to find somebody who has not gotten a speeding ticket or kissed the ground when we got home. Because we thought we were ok to drive and once started driving thought please God get me home safe. I know I have made more than my share of mistakes. Important thing is we learn from them and do are best to not repeat them.

Mr.Jane seems to be taking responsibility for it and not making any kind of excuses at all. So it comes down to that. He has accepted responsibility , those of you who consider your self fans , supporter or friends should stand with him and not let others talk shit about him. At least that's how we do it in Texas.

If Mr. Jane reads this , Im so sorry for your loss and do so hope you get all this legal shit behind you as soon as you can.

We don't have many of the old Guard actors left. Bruce Willis is getting old , Clint Eastwood , Sylvester Stallion and Christopher Waken just aren't putting out to many Movies.

Then Shwartzanager lost his balls in politics and became a damn hippie.

So We need Bad ass actors like you my man! Hell you and Bale are the only two that I look foward to see in movies it seems.

Godbless and Speed Recovery

John