Sign in to follow this  
James O'Brian

Blade Runner

Guest AdminGuyX

I played the game. Bought it off ebay for like $10. It only plays well on windows 98, which I no longer had at the time. So I had glitches. Doors that would not open, skipped scenes, empty boards free of other characters to interact with, and eventually the game just hit a dead end.

BUT, until that point I was enjoying it, and I'm not a gamer either. I like stuff like Killzone and Doom, and I only play those like twice a year.

You can surf over to www.bladezone.com and watch cut scenes from the BR game. They're pretty cool.

Blade zone is my preferred blade runner website. Great place! You can also check out www.propsummit.com for lots of cool blade runner stuff (mostly props though). I'm very active on propsummit. :) One of my other favorite places.

The characters do NOT hold a candle to the iconic characters we all love from the film. But at the same time they don't really try to copy them either, so I appreciated that.

I played the game. Bought it off ebay for like $10. It only plays well on windows 98, which I no longer had at the time. So I had glitches. Doors that would not open, skipped scenes, empty boards free of other characters to interact with, and eventually the game just hit a dead end.

BUT, until that point I was enjoying it, and I'm not a gamer either. I like stuff like Killzone and Doom, and I only play those like twice a year.

You can surf over to www.bladezone.com and watch cut scenes from the BR game. They're pretty cool.

Blade zone is my preferred blade runner website. Great place! You can also check out www.propsummit.com for lots of cool blade runner stuff (mostly props though). I'm very active on propsummit. :) One of my other favorite places.

The characters do NOT hold a candle to the iconic characters we all love from the film. But at the same time they don't really try to copy them either, so I appreciated that.

Bladezone.com is a great site and I love propsummit.com also. The scenes from the game are pretty cool but nothing compared to the masterpiece film.

JO

Guest AdminGuyX

You can pick up those comics on ebay REALLY cheaply. I got the collected edition for $3.

Njc--------

Guest AdminGuyX

http://www.fordsfillingstation.net/

I know I might be the only member here who gives a flying flip about this. hahaha. :)

This is what Harrison's oldest kid does for a living, and the place gets good reviews.

I've watched the final cut DVD uber boxed set from back to front, and one of the features is about Ben Ford coming in and shooting a "mouth" scene so they could fix the scene where Deckard talks to the snake dealer.

I didn't think much of it until I was watching the Food Network (I'm a cook, I love the channel) and they6 had a food network challenge with Benjamin Ford. And he won too.

Anyway, just thought I'd share this with the folks here too.

Anybody out in Cali ever try this place? It gets some good reviews.

Oh I hate that film... I think it I hate it more because I have to study it for english (still in school)

Guest AdminGuyX

You have to study Blade Runner for English? Had no idea they were teaching blade runner in high schools now.

It's not a movie for everyone, no question about it. And it does seem to be a love it or hate it film. You may grow to appreciate it more in about 15 years though. Fair warning.

What's your report going to be about anyway?

Oh, by the way Sparky, Welcome to RAW!

Oh I hate that film... I think it I hate it more because I have to study it for english (still in school)

......... poor baby...

Heh thanks, we're doing a module called "In the Wild"... its basically about how technology is going to ruin our lives

Heh thanks, we're doing a module called "In the Wild"... its basically about how technology is going to ruin our lives

We had to read Brave New World. You get to watch movies. It's just not fair.

We had to read Brave New World. You get to watch movies. It's just not fair.

lol we have to read Brave New World as well... its a pretty crappy novel :(

I'm dredging up an oldie, but goodie thread here. LOL

I just wanted to post the info about Blade Runner topping Moviefone's list for "Best Sci-Fi Movie Ever". Here's the article and link from IMDB.com:

Blade Runner Named Best Sci-Fi Movie Ever

4 December 2008 10:59 AM, PST | From wenn.com | See recent WENN news

Blade Runner has been named the best sci-fi movie of all time in a new online poll.

The futuristic film, directed by Ridley Scott and starring Harrison Ford and Rutger Hauer, tops a list compiled by editors at Moviefone.com - beating all the Star Wars, Alien, and Terminator movies hands down.

Moviefone editors explain their choice, "A box office dud at the time of its release, this movie has undergone more facelifts than Joan Rivers. Regardless, it's a dark future with film noir elements dripping from every pore."

The poll also throws down the gauntlet for movie makers to create a new contender - none of the top 25 was made in the 21st Century.

The top ten is as follows:

Blade Runner, 1982

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, 1980

Aliens, 1986

Star Wars: A New Hope, 1977

The Day the Earth Stood Still, 1951

The Matrix, 1999

Terminator 2, Judgement Day, 1991

The Thing, 1982

Alien, 1979

Forbidden Planet, 1956.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0083658/news#ni0620693

Sweeeeeeeeeet! Rightly deserved; I loved that movie!

I finally read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep this summer so I'm dying to see BR with fresh eyes. I know that what Scott did with it was different than what Dick wrote but I think that's why I'm more excited to see the directors cut.

I probably haven't see BR in about 10 years. It was a favorite of mine to watch when stoned in college - that and Highlander!

I know what I'm getting at Schlockbusters tonite - thanks guys!

I finally read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep this summer so I'm dying to see BR with fresh eyes. I know that what Scott did with it was different than what Dick wrote but I think that's why I'm more excited to see the directors cut.

I probably haven't see BR in about 10 years. It was a favorite of mine to watch when stoned in college - that and Highlander!

I know what I'm getting at Schlockbusters tonite - thanks guys!

Cool Kdedu! :D

I hope you can find the "Final Cut" of Blade Runner. That's supposed to be completely Ridley Scott's vision and what he wanted put out in theaters.

I've been bad and not rented or bought that yet, but I did see the "Final Cut" on SciFi Channel recently - and I also have a copy of the director's cut, where there's all the voice over stuff that the director didn't like. So I watched the 2, one after the other to compare...

I'll be posting soon my "random" thoughts about the 2 films. Don't have time to get into right now. I'm sure I'll sound like a dork talking about it, since I don't know a lot of background about the film. :lol:

Let us know what version you saw when you get the chance - and what you thought this time around. :)

Jen

Guest AdminGuyX

Depending on how big a fan you are, I can't recommend the suitcase edition enough. I see it on ebay frequently.

It's comprehensive look at the film is just amazing, and it has every official version of the film among the extras. You can watch the work print all the way to the final cut.

I reviewed the edition a few pages back, amid the happy glow of new BR merch, I tried to cram in some info.

:)

And the special features about PKD, and his writings is just awesome.

Depending on how big a fan you are, I can't recommend the suitcase edition enough. I see it on ebay frequently.

It's comprehensive look at the film is just amazing, and it has every official version of the film among the extras. You can watch the work print all the way to the final cut.

I reviewed the edition a few pages back, amid the happy glow of new BR merch, I tried to cram in some info.

And the special features about PKD, and his writings is just awesome.

I'll have to look into getting the "suitcase" edition - maybe for the holidays. Perfect timing, actually, for that! :lol: Thanks for mentioning that Noeland. :)

Okay, now for my dorky, rambling comments and puzzling questions for the "Final Cut" version of Blade Runner. BEWARE - MAJOR PLOT SPOILERS AHEAD!!! READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

If anyone wants to shed light or laugh at me (well, with me would be better), feel free to reply:

1. Well, the main thing is, I haven't read PKD's "Do Android's Dream of Electric Sheep?", so I have no background for the film. So I'm not sure how "faithful" the film is to the book...

2. When Deckard is getting beat up by Leon, Rachael shoots Leon in the head. Where did she get the gun to kill Leon? Why is she such a good shot?! The shot was thisclose to Deckard! Rachael could have shot him instead, by mistake...

3. I really noticed the billboard product placement this time around, with Coca Cola, TDK, and PAN AM signs in prominent view...

4. There seems to be a running theme about "eyes", with the maker of the replicant eyes, a focus on the replicant's eyes on screen, the artificial owl's eyes, the idea of IDing a replicant by pupil dilation, Roy putting fake eyes on his when sharing a (frightening) laugh with Sebastian, and Pris rolling up her eyes when she's pretending to be one of Sebastians toys...; I guess a main point would be that "eyes are the windows to the soul" and the idea that the replicants are not human, but the line is blurred between human and non by the focus on eyes...

5. I was always a bit confused on how Deckard manages to piece together how to find Zora. From what I understand now, in the opener when Leon does interview, he mentions where he's living, so Deckard goes to that place (hotel?) and finds some photos, and one of them he studies and finds that, in the image of a mirror in the photo, Zora is there, with a bird (?) tattoo on the side of her face. He also finds a scale of some type in the bathtub.

Deckard goes to the market, asks the fish lady if it's fish and she looks at it under microscope and says, "no, it's snake" and tells him to see the snake-maker (all artificial animals), so the snake maker tells Deckard about the main guy who buys his snakes and the club he owns (?); so Deckard goes to club, chats briefly with that guy - but the only reason Deckard finds Zora then is because the club announcer says a dancer and a snake will be performing, right?

There is actually no scene that shows Zora performing with snake - it just cuts to Deckard waiting in back hallway for Zora, pretending to be a newspaper reporter. So...I'm assuming that Deckard saw part of the performance, recognized it was Zora by the bird (?) tattoo on face and also by the original photo he saw of her earlier in film when they show all 4 replicants. Am I correct in thinking that this is how it all goes down for IDing Zora?

6. Hinging on the previous long comment, my other question is about the photos that Deckard found in Leon's apartment. In the version of the movie that played in theaters, the Deckard's voice over says that the photos are as phony as replicants' memories - SO - IF the photos are fake, why is Deckard looking at that one photo and blowing it up to see an image of Zora with the bird (?) tattoo?!!

I don't quite understand that photo. To me it looks like a recent photo that Leon himself must have taken, because from what I can tell, I thought Roy was sitting in a bathtub (in profile) near a newspaper and then, in the mirror, Deckard enlarges the image to find Zora lying down on a bed. Am I off-base with all this? If I'm correct, then it's a REAL photo...

7. I can't believe this film takes place in 2019! It's not looking good for L.A.!! :lol: When Leon is beating up Deckard badly, Leon says he was "born" in 2017, and asks Deckard how long he has to live, and Deckard replies, "4 years", so, since it's 2019, Leon has 2 years left to live. I'm assuming Roy Batty then, was "born"/made in 2015, and has 4 years to live, since he's at the end of his lifespan during the course of the film...

What about Rachael? When was she "born"/created? In the "Final Cut", there is no "happy" voiceover that says that Rachael is a special model with no termination date, so are we supposed to think she was recently created and will die in 4 years?

Going on about length of life and replicants and humans, and I know this probably has been explained somewhere, but is the viewer supposed to think that Deckard may also be a replicant? Is there any hint of that in the theater version (with voiceover) or the "Final Cut", or is that just by reading drafts of the script, or the original novel, or ???

8. Before I recently saw the "Final Cut" and theater version of the film, I always thought that the genetics guy who does the replicant's eyes in the cold room and Sebastian ended up dying horribly at the hands of Roy - but from what I see now, nothing is shown. When Roy turns to Sebastian after killing his "father"/maker, you see Sebastian hesitate and then turn to run a bit, and the next scene is Roy in an elevator with dramatic music. Are we to assume that Sebastian is killed, but off-screen?

9. When Roy talks to Tyrell about longevity, suddenly Roy seems to be an expert on genetic manipulation, mentioning to Tyrell, "What about suppressor proteins?" to prolong a replicant's life. Why would Roy know all about this stuff??

10. I like the scene where Deckard is in vehicle at Sebastian's place and the police question him over audio monitor, and when Deckard is cleared, they say "Have a better one." - :P

11. Okay, major question about the end of film when it's down to Deckard and Roy. Deckard's mission/job is to "retire" 4 replicants (and maybe 5 if you count Rachael), so why, at the end of film, does Deckard always run away from Roy? I mean, naturally, you'd run away if you were being chased by a crazed replicant, or human, but Deckard is working, he has a job, he's supposed to kill Roy... Do you see the dilemma?

12. Other major question - what is the deal with Gaff?! At the very end of film, when Deckard and Rachael leave Deckard's apartment, Deckard finds that unicorn origami (which, I understand, goes back to Deckard's dreams of unicorn), so...Gaff was there. So what does that mean? Are we meant to think that Gaff *could* have killed Rachael, but didn't? That Gaff is some omniscient being that spouts words of wisdom and maybe is the voice of reason?!

Also, Gaff says this line to Deckard "It's too bad she won't live, but then again, who does?". What is he implying? I mean, from what I understand, he means that no one, human or replicant, will live forever. We all die. But what is his point (besides being a major theme of the film?) by saying this? Does he mean it in a menacing way, like we are led to believe that maybe he killed Rachael and is taunting Deckard? Is he trying to say that maybe, somehow, Deckard is a replicant too, and doesn't have long to live??

13. Going along with that last part, in the "Final Cut", when Deckard and Rachael leave/escape/run away, the end scene is them getting on the apartment elevator and the doors closing - the end. So, I'm assuming, as a viewer, that you'd be left with the thoughts that they are escaping, and will escape - and that they will have 4 years together, and then Rachael will die, and...?

In the theater version with the voiceover they tacked on a "happy ending", with Deckard and Rachael in his flying vehicle and they're in the countryside, flying over pine trees with the sun shining (so there are nice places still on earth!), and the voiceover says that Rachael is special and has no termination date... Nice, but a totally different tone and extension than the "Final Cut"!

Okay, that's it. Stick a fork in me. :lol: I just had to express all this and get it all off my mind, because I've just seen these 2 versions, and because I know some of you here are mega-Blade Runner fans and I want to see what you think of these points and if you can untangle the confusing knot in my brain! :lol:

Thanks for reading. :)

Jen

In the theater version with the voiceover they tacked on a "happy ending", with Deckard and Rachael in his flying vehicle and they're in the countryside, flying over pine trees with the sun shining (so there are nice places still on earth!), and the voiceover says that Rachael is special and has no termination date... Nice, but a totally different tone and extension than the "Final Cut"!

What's interesting is that, for me, the so-called happy ending was MORE unsettling and depressing. For two hours, I was in that drizzly world of a different Los Angeles, and then, all of sudden, sunshine and winding roads and windmills!?! Where are they? Where are they going? Why wouldn't they live there all the time, then?!

I actually like the more punctuated ending, boom! It feels stronger and more defiant, as in that's right, we're going to fight on and keep running.

Guest AdminGuyX

Jen, you're taking all the fun out of the movie. :)

It's ambigious in it's themes, and it's not meant to have a hard and fast explanation for everything. Here are a few of my own thoughts.

Hopefully Nick Derington jumps into this discussion too.

I'm not sure how "faithful" the film is to the book...

It's a passing similarity mainly with Deckard, and the very basic story, but in some very important ways, they are the same. You don't need to read the book to enjoy the film.

2. When Deckard is getting beat up by Leon, Rachael shoots Leon in the head. Where did she get the gun to kill Leon? Why is she such a good shot?! The shot was thisclose to Deckard! Rachael could have shot him instead, by mistake...

Leon smacked Deckard's pistol away before the fight, she found it. She's plays piano perfectly too. My guess is that Tyrell made her to be perfect at any task she sets for herself. So, firing a gun would be no different.

4. There seems to be a running theme about "eyes",

It goes a bit deeper than just the eyes being windows to the soul, and the replicants not having souls. Or do humans, in creating life outside the womb, maintain the ability to instill a soul into a body? This was the main theme of my BR fanfilm. Do we have the ability to grant a soul to a sentient being we create in a lab, or can that only happen with natural child birth? It's a fun idea to play with.

Also, in this film, someone is always watching. This ties into the Gaff question too. Ridley wanted to give the film a big brother quality through visuals, make folks feel like they are being watched.

Risley Scott is a visualist. Eyes are important to him, and he used BR to have some fun with that.

5. I was always a bit confused on how Deckard manages to piece together how to find Zora.

The snake dance was planned, but for budgetary reasons, they scraped it. Storyboards are still around, and some concept art of the theater is around too. One of Ridley's major regrets for this movie, along with the discarded spinner opening.

But, I think the biggest clue was the snake scale. The coded number on the snake scale led him to a reptile shop that sold the snake to Taffy Lewis, which led him to Taffy's bar where Zhora performed.

I don't quite understand that photo.

I don't think you're meant to. Ridley Scott describes that photo sequence as "let me show you a lie."

A different photo was used in a very different esper sequence, which is on the special features of the new DVD set. What we see in the theatrical release is a bunch of different photos, and it was meant to be a bit of a mind fuck, and not make perfect sense, so you could draw you're own conclusions of what is happening in the photo.

What about Rachael? When was she "born"/created?

Well, it's never said in the film, because it's ultimately unimportant to the story. It's implied that she is special because Tyrell SAYS she is special, so I think the idea is the normal replicant "rules" just don't apply to her. Mind you, if you read any of the sequel novels by Jeter, Rachel has some issues. But the novels are not accepted in most fan circles, because they ain't that great.

is the viewer supposed to think that Deckard may also be a replicant?

If you ask Ridley Scott, he just says plainly "He was a replicant, yes." Ford says he played the role as a human being. If you ask Frank Darabont, he'll just punch you in the throat and then say. "He's a person! He HAS to be! The whole film depends on it! BAH!"

I think it's another question left ambigious so you can decide for yourself. I think he's a replicant, but like Rachel, I think he's a special kind, and Tyrell meant all along for Rachel and Deckard to be his replicant Adam and Eve. But this goes into a whole other idea I have about the police force pressuring Tyrell into creating a replicant to hunt replicants, because humans' can't do it without being killed. :)

Just imagine, the first moment in the film we see Deckard is the moment he's switched on, and his memories are all implanted.

So Bryant acting like they are old buddies, and that Deckard once worked there, is all smoke.

Are we to assume that Sebastian is killed, but off-screen?

He kills Sebastian. Beside having his coat in his hands afterwards on the elevator, Bryant tells Deckard later (over the com in his car) that they found Sebastion's body. This is why Deckard goes to the Bradbury building to hunt Batty.

9. When Roy talks to Tyrell about longevity, suddenly Roy seems to be an expert on genetic manipulation, mentioning to Tyrell, "What about suppressor proteins?" to prolong a replicant's life. Why would Roy know all about this stuff??

I think it's Bryant who tells Deckard that Batty is a genius and says "he's probably the leader" but I also think you are to assume that because Batty is after more life, and is aware he is an artifical human being, he's been studying up on the subject to the best of his abilities. Being that this is Roy, and they have had access to both Chew's computers, and Sebastian's, he simply studied their work.

Sebastians computer lab is another set that was designed (by the amazing Syd Mead) and never built. I always wondered if they had planned a scene with Batty reading computer files.

And somewhere in all my studying of the film, I know I read or heard in the film itself that certain Nexus 6 replicants are "at least as smart as the genetic designs who made them" or some such.

11. Okay, major question about the end of film when it's down to Deckard and Roy. Deckard's mission/job is to "retire" 4 replicants (and maybe 5 if you count Rachael), so why, at the end of film, does Deckard always run away from Roy? I mean, naturally, you'd run away if you were being chased by a crazed replicant, or human, but Deckard is working, he has a job, he's supposed to kill Roy... Do you see the dilemma?

Well, I'm not sure Deckard is ever all that keen on killing these guys to start with. By the time he gets to Roy, I think he's a bit disgusted with it all, and is struggling internally with his his job quite a bit. Also, in some drafts of the script, this is when he starts to figure out he's not human, so he starts to relate with Batty, and think of him as a brother.

Roy is super human. He can easily kill Deckard with his bare hands, and Deckard knows this, so after Deckard loses his gun, he RUNS. I think it's also meant to imply that if Deckard is a Nexus 7, the new generation, then he is even more human than ever. He's scared.

what is the deal with Gaff?!

I'm not giving this one away. Get the special edition, and watch the deleted scenes as it's own film (it's about an hour long) and this is explained really well. It's very cool.

Jen, I'm a moderator on another board called Propsummit, and it's dedicated to Blade Runner. You might enjoy it. It's mostly about the props, production design, and artwork from the film, but we discuss a lot of the story themes and ideas, and the subtle nuances of the characters and the metaphors, and the plot holes and mistakes too. :)

www.propsummit.com

Might not be your cup of tea, but worth a look if you want to chat about the movie with some die hard fans, and good folks.

1. Well, the main thing is, I haven't read PKD's "Do Android's Dream of Electric Sheep?", so I have no background for the film. So I'm not sure how "faithful" the film is to the book...
Not very. But it's an excellent book. Plus it allows you to fill in gaps that the movie never has time to explain. I see the movie as a replicant of the book - an amazing reproduction but not the real thing!

3. I really noticed the billboard product placement this time around, with Coca Cola, TDK, and PAN AM signs in prominent view...
My favorite is the Atari sign - too funny!

Going on about length of life and replicants and humans, and I know this probably has been explained somewhere, but is the viewer supposed to think that Deckard may also be a replicant? Is there any hint of that in the theater version (with voiceover) or the "Final Cut", or is that just by reading drafts of the script, or the original novel, or ???
you answer your own question here with this:

12. Other major question - what is the deal with Gaff?! At the very end of film, when Deckard and Rachael leave Deckard's apartment, Deckard finds that unicorn origami (which, I understand, goes back to Deckard's dreams of unicorn), so...Gaff was there. So what does that mean? Are we meant to think that Gaff *could* have killed Rachael, but didn't? That Gaff is some omniscient being that spouts words of wisdom and maybe is the voice of reason?!........ Is he trying to say that maybe, somehow, Deckard is a replicant too, and doesn't have long to live??

I'm still working my way through the Final Cut - with kids you can only sneak in so much alone time - even at night. So I'm about 2/3 through and I want to watch the original to compare it again. What keeps blowing my mind are the details and the lighting. So much to look at and so much you can't see! I keep thinking - 'Stop, turn a light on, I wanna look at that wall!'

wow. Jen I have to admit it's very refreshing to see a woman broach such a thoughtful and analytical assessment of one of the greatest sci-fi films of all time (imo). I realize that sounds rather sexist , but I'll take my lumps... :P

I won't revisit your questions, as Noeland seemed to address many of them. I will say that although there are explanations to these things, I find that what I thought the answer was is just as intriguing as Scott's explanations. That's one of the great things about the film, it's that it allows you to read your own interpretations into things, which can be equally exhilarating.

The basis for one of my own literary efforts starts with the premise "What if Roy Batty had lived and recreated the society in his own image?" If you'll notice, the chess move was the pretense to Roy's engagement with Tyrell. The set up from that game is derived from a historic chess match and Roy's move was a checkmate maneuver which neither Sebastian or Tyrell had anticipated. Which suggests (to me) that Roy's mind is equally as vital and teaming with possibility as his body—all he needed was a bit more time.

Also, in the Directors Cut (or Final Cut) Ridley talks about "The Long Tomorrow" which is a Moebius story that appeared in Heavy Metal (and also in the collection "Is Man Good"*) which is also inspiration for the material.

I have yet to sit down and thoroughly read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" but I've read some interesting things about this future society and religion and mans relationship to animals which I find very intriguing...

*The answer is something of a culinary order.

Jen, I'm a moderator on another board called Propsummit, and it's dedicated to Blade Runner. You might enjoy it. It's mostly about the props, production design, and artwork from the film, but we discuss a lot of the story themes and ideas, and the subtle nuances of the characters and the metaphors, and the plot holes and mistakes too. :)

www.propsummit.com

Oh Baby, that sounds like my cup of tea! Material culture - whoo hooo!

Thanks noeland - I'll see you over there!

I've watched this film several times on TV and never considered Deckard to be a replicant. So now I've had my brain bent a bit. Next time I watch it, it will be with a different mindset.

a couple of casual thoughts:

Eyes are used a lot in literature to symbolize the eyes of God, or that God is watching. I don't know if that fits in with the scenes mentioned above.

Also, I always took the little unicorn origami at the end as a symbol that Rachael was different and unique. So now you've got me thinking that maybe that was really a message to Deckard.

Anyway, great reading all the thoughts above. Lots of food for thought.

Well, you may have noticed that Deckard dreams of unicorns (we see a sequence with a white unicorn running through a forest), it is generally understood that androids/replicants dream of unicorns*. The Unicorn origami scene was voiced-over by Edward James Olmos who says,"It's too bad she won't live—but then, who does?" which is generally taken to mean that he was there and could have killed Rachel but decided to simply let Deckard live out his little fairy-tale life with her for it's limited duration. I do not mean to suggest that your interpretation is incorrect, just presenting a different one that's floating around.

Another moment which I found fascinating was when Deckard is meeting with the Chief of Police and Olmos takes a matchstick and makes a little betailed man. I often thought that this was his way of saying,"Deckard, you're not a real man."

*Unicorns are real: we know them as rhinoceros; when European men traveled to Africa and Asia and returned to describe what they saw they could only correlate these large animals to horses with horns in the center of their heads. Also, Gorillas were Ogres and Dragons were Giraffes (imagine stalking through a dark forest and a large, long-necked creature peers down on you through the canopy with two horns on it's head? scary stuff). Dragons were probably also crocodiles and large snakes.

I've watched this film several times on TV and never considered Deckard to be a replicant. So now I've had my brain bent a bit. Next time I watch it, it will be with a different mindset.

a couple of casual thoughts:

Eyes are used a lot in literature to symbolize the eyes of God, or that God is watching. I don't know if that fits in with the scenes mentioned above.

Also, I always took the little unicorn origami at the end as a symbol that Rachael was different and unique. So now you've got me thinking that maybe that was really a message to Deckard.

Anyway, great reading all the thoughts above. Lots of food for thought.