Sign in to follow this  
Guest AdminGuyX

Doctor Who

They won't end the show. It's way too popular. They'll just replace him. They are getting to the point though where they will have to change the circumstances around regenerations, because there is supposed to be a finite amount of times he can change.

I'm going to give the show a chance with this guy because of Moffit taking over as showrunner. Moffit has written all my favorite episodes of Doctor Who. I wasn't a huge fan of Eccleston in the role either, but I still watched.

A good companion will help. :)

I often wonder why Eccleston even bothered to take on the role. I mean, what's the point of taking on such an iconic character if you're gonna leave after just one series out of fear of being "typecast". Well boo-hoo! Didn't he know who the Doctor was?

Who's been your favourite and least favourite companions?

They won't end the show. It's way too popular. They'll just replace him. They are getting to the point though where they will have to change the circumstances around regenerations, because there is supposed to be a finite amount of times he can change.

I'm going to give the show a chance with this guy because of Moffit taking over as showrunner. Moffit has written all my favorite episodes of Doctor Who. I wasn't a huge fan of Eccleston in the role either, but I still watched.

A good companion will help. :)

I think he only has 1 or 2 regenerations left. But they'll figure something out, The Master apparently had more than 13 regenerations in the past.

The master survived by stealing another persons body but in the Five Doctors story the time lords offered him a new set of regenerations if he helped them so they might do something with that when the doctor runs out of lives.

I think he only has 1 or 2 regenerations left. But they'll figure something out, The Master apparently had more than 13 regenerations in the past.

Matt Smith is the 11th Doctor, so after him there are supposed to be 2 more regenerations, supposed to be.

It's "The Doctor" . . . Limited regenerations means not a goddamn thing ;)

We could all speculate over it endlessly, but I don't believe for a second that the show would ever end, nor the parade of new Doctor's keep coming after 13 regenerations.

No way the writers who wrote that many, MANY years ago could have predicted the show would still be running.

Plus The Doctor is special, very special. A cap of 13 regenerations won't ever stop him, let alone the profits.

- TB

Maybe after thirteen regenerations he'll finally get it right and become a her!

Just joking. Had the sudden thought and had to throw it out there.

There were apparently talks of turning him into a woman for this regeneration. Then it was a black man, but it ended up on a 26 year old white boy.

Guest AdminGuyX

Yeah, I never bought into the rumours about him becoming a woman, even if he did have sex with Captain Jack Harkness.

;)

Anyone seen 2008's Christmas Special yet?

I just got a gander and it's pretty damn good.

All things considered it's a great note to go out on.

Serendipitously titled "The Next Doctor", guest star David Morrissey cuts a fine form.

His performance is pretty damn fun, but no spoilers here since (to my knowledge) it hasn't yet aired in the US.

Obviously we know he won't actually be the 'next' Doctor.

Gotta guess we'll see Tennant in at least one more episode.

Congrats again to the aforementioned David Tennant . . . Great run.

Looking forward to the new season with great anticipation.

- TB

IDW will release a special one-shot Doctor Who comic, "The Whispering Gallery," by artist Ben Templesmith and writers Leah Moore & John Reppion.

In "The Whispering Gallery," the TARDIS lands in a maze-like gallery filled with thousands of talking pictures, and the Doctor and Martha discover they've come across a planet where showing emotion has been outlawed. The inhabitants have good reason for their suppression, but it wouldn't be like the Doctor to leave them in fear of truly living.

Married writing team Leah Moore and John Reppion have been fans of Doctor Who and pitched IDW Publishing on their story idea for the classic British sci-fi hero after Leah had a dream about a two-page spread one night.

Moore and Reppion became involved in the project after being approached by artist Templesmith (30 Days of Night), an admirer of their work.

Doctor Who: The Whispering Gallery hits stands later this month.

Source: http://scifiwire.com/2009/02/idw-will-release-a-special.php

davidTennant_1381584c.jpg

The day is fast approaching when we'll see the last of David Tennant as The Doctor.

It's no surprise to me that upon reading the script for the episode(s) it brought tears to the eyes of it's current star.

The writing on the show has been superb.

During his final show as Dr Who, he will regenerate into the 11th Time Lord, played by 26-year-old actor Matt Smith.

More here - Telegraph UK -

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX

I was reading Doctor Who magazine at Borders today, and realized the idea of Matt Smith as Who has finally settled in, and I'm ready to see what he can do. More over, I'm ready to see Moffit takes the series as show runner. he's written all my favorite episodes and story arcs, so I can't wait.

I really loved "The Next Doctor" too. A very clever story that had a fantastic ending.

;)

Tennant's run has been extraordinary for Doctor Who fandom, and I think he's set the new standard by which Who's will be judges for decades to come.

Agree completely.

In days of old, everyone had their Doctor.

I was sitting on a soundstage in Toronto (Killshot) watching Jane act with Diane Lane and got to yapping with one of the producers.

He was streaming an episode of Doctor Who so naturally we began to discuss it. He was born a generation before me and his guy was Pertwee.

I was always a Tom Baker guy cause he was the first Doctor I was introduced to. Luckily I'd recently also seen Pertwee's run and absolutely loved it (and him). This producer guy was funny because in spite of Tom Baker's popularity in the role, he was very much a 'Pertwee' guy, and not so much in love with ANY of the other Doctors. Then another fella sauntered up and his favorite Doctor was Patrick Troughton ;) Hey, for my money I love them all.

I remember saying that Tennant was the best thing to happen to Doctor Who since Tom Baker and that the show was very much worth watching again.

Tennant and the show's writers have proved that. Eccleston may have made a similar impact had he stuck around longer, but you know, somehow I don't think his take was as charming and disarming as Tennant's. Tennant was SINGULAR.

His will be the Doctor that this generation measures any who challenge.

Again, 4 years of Tennant was a great ride with some incredibly great episodes.

If you haven't checked it out yet, do it!

- TB

I know im the only one who thinks this but i really want another Sylvester McCoy kind of doctor to add a bit of mystery to the role, he was the doctor i grew up with and i thought he was great along side his companion Ace

Naw Jay, yer not the only one ;)

Sylvester McCoy had his good points too.

Unfortunately, out of all the Doctors, I've seen less of McCoy's run than any of the others.

The few arcs I saw were nice though.

Like I alluded to above, I think it really all boils down to who portrayed the erstwhile Time Lord at the time each of us as individuals got hooked on the show. Everyone has a favorite Doctor that made the show special for them. That's one of the true charms of this series.

The regeneration thing is such a great hook. It allows the Doctor to change with the times, and for the most part it keeps the show from becoming compromised by the loss of a specific actor in the lead role. I've been watching Who on and off since the mid eighties, and the history only becomes richer with each passing year. I was so glad when the BBC revamped and relaunched the series fairly picking up where it left off.

Thankfully the new regime has honored the traditions of old and made the series relevant again.

I'm still all about Tom Baker, after all, he was the Doctor of my youth. But hey, I got Elisabeth Sladen (Sarah Jane Smith) back with Tennant so I've got nothing to complain about ;) Haven't seen The Sarah Jane Adventures yet. Perhaps we'll see other companions from yesteryear make their way back into the fold. That'd be AWESOME.

Love to see the Brigadier return soon. I think it would be cool to have one of the co-founders of UNIT, the MAN himself step back in, even in his older age. I think it'd be fun to see him play off the 26 year old Matt Smith.

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX

Tom Baker was certainly my mental image of Doctor Who when I was a kid too. I even used to read the marvel comics that we had around the house and Baker was the doctor in them.

More than anything else, I remember that damn scarf.

;)

I'm a big fan of the first 5 doctors from Hartnell to Davison. The Dalek invasion of Earth with William Hartnell is awesome!

I'm married to the biggest Doctor Who fan on earth, so I know them all. :P

I watched a lot of Tennant stuff recently and I LOVE the Donna era. She was a cool companion.

I couldn't STAND the soapy Rose storyline, those are the episodes I avoided.

Eccleston was a waste of a doctor's life. No idea why he decided to do it.

I'm quite curious to see how the new guy will take on the role.

Tom Baker was certainly my mental image of Doctor Who when I was a kid too. I even used to read the marvel comics that we had around the house and Baker was the doctor in them.

More than anything else, I remember that damn scarf.

;)

Yeah, and Dave Gibbons drew some of those. I still have mine!!

And yeah, I love the Donna season as well. Would have loved another year of that dynamic.

Feel the same way about Rose Tyler. Thank God Captain Jack showed up!!!

- TB

And yeah, I love the Donna season as well. Would have loved another year of that dynamic.

Feel the same way about Rose Tyler. Thank God Captain Jack showed up!!!

- TB

Oh yeah, Captain Jack, of course. He's a great character.

Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to watch Torchwood yet.

But I will some day. ;)

Torchwood is worth a watch some of the supporting charaters are a bit annoying but show is still reall good

I am really going to miss Tennant. It did take me some time to get used to him, after Eccleston I was sceptical of everything and everybody.

But he really earned my respect and I love the way he plays the character. And the way he's really into being the Doctor.

It will be sad seeing him go. It was sad to see Donna go, since her last episode was such a bitter ending and she was such a great companion to the Doctor. Definitely one of the best ones ever.

But that's Doctor Who for you, I guess. ;)

I just gotta say, I've been playing catch up with series 5 of Who, and Matt Smith won me over by the second episode. He is such a great Doctor.

I also just watched the Torchwood: Children of Earth mini-series. Torchwood is usually very hit or miss, most often miss. But Children of Earth was just great, it was kind of a jolt, because I'm not used to watching consistently good episodes of Torchwood.

Yep, I'm digging Matt Smith big time.

I really wanted to like him before we started series 5 and after consuming the series he's surpassed my expectations.

Mike, I agree with you on Torchwood. It pisses me off when it reaches it's potential with certain episodes and then loses it with others.

It could be consistently good with the ensemble they have. They need to keep paying the fuckers who'r turning in the good scripts!

Either that or fire the producing staff and find a dynamic there that understands what Torchwood is at it's best.

Getting ready to catch the finale of Doctor Who series 5.

More, more!

- tb

I really hope the Torchwood folks learned something from the Children of Earth series. That mini got me pretty excited for the new series coming next year, I got my fingers crossed.

Also, I got a total crush on Karen Gillan. She is quite the cutie pie.

Finally this is pretty cool.

doctorhoo.png