James O'Brian

Under Suspicion

_under_suspicion.jpg

I was surprised when I didn't see any talk about this film in the Tom Jane forum. So, I decided to take matters into my own hands and make a thread about the film haha, hope Jen doesn't mind.

PLOT: San Juan celebrates San Sebastian's Feast as recently-divorced and world-weary police captain Victor Benezet calls in prominent attorney Henry Hearst to clarify a statement he made about discovering the body of a small girl of about 12 years old, the second murder of this sort in two weeks. As Hearst answers unconvincingly and not to either of the officers satisfaction, Benezet reveals circumstantial evidence: the lawyer is the one under suspicion. The interrogation strips away Hearst's dignity, public persona, and even his toupee, exposing a breech with his beautiful and much younger wife, questionable sexual predilections and a damning hobby which tends to involve women of low morals. Then, Hearst's wife volunteers information that confirms police suspicions. Hearst becomes outraged and begins to crack...

DIRECTOR: Stephen Hopkins

CAST:

Gene Hackman

Morgan Freeman

Monica Bellucci

Thomas Jane

aa0c.jpg

_t.jpg

_t2.jpg

_t3.jpg

_t4.jpg

_t5.jpg

_t6.jpg

I, personally, am a fan of this film. I like the 4 main players in the film. Monica Bellucci is a true Goddess. Hackman and Freeman are legends. And Tom is great in this film. Plays it cool and he's the man you love to hate. The chemistry between Tom and Bellucci is a bit steamy at times. The cinematography is beautiful and the director really knows how to shoot this film to make it twist and turn, ultimately confusing the audience until the end.

JO

Great post! Thank you for this. I love all the actors in this film.

Hi JO -

I have No Problem whatsoever with you, or anyone else here, starting threads about Tom and Tom-related subjects!! :D Please feel free to run wild with whatever threads you want to post, as long as they're about Tom! :lol:

I know that I'm the "moderator", but I think that just means that I can kick out any spammers or haters...

I've said this before, but if I did have more time, I'd be posting here like crazy, but it's just not possible for me. :( So I try to stop by on 'n' off, and add info I've found or heard, and talk about Tom and his films...

I really appreciate you adding a thread for this particular film too, because I was really engrossed by it when I first saw it, and I agree with everything you said about it - well, almost everything -

I thought of Tom's character as more of an inexperienced puppy dog on a leash, who wants to be the big, bad dog, but has to obey his master - uh, that would be Morgan Freeman's character. :lol:

From what Tom has said, if I can "paraphrase" a bit, he didn't like playing this character, the way the part was written, I guess, but he said he was 'learning from the masters' (Hackman and Freeman) by taking on this role.

I think it's a good role though and well played by Tom.

Jen

Hi JO -

I have No Problem whatsoever with you, or anyone else here, starting threads about Tom and Tom-related subjects!! :D Please feel free to run wild with whatever threads you want to post, as long as they're about Tom! :lol:

I know that I'm the "moderator", but I think that just means that I can kick out any spammers or haters...

I've said this before, but if I did have more time, I'd be posting here like crazy, but it's just not possible for me. :( So I try to stop by on 'n' off, and add info I've found or heard, and talk about Tom and his films...

I really appreciate you adding a thread for this particular film too, because I was really engrossed by it when I first saw it, and I agree with everything you said about it - well, almost everything -

I thought of Tom's character as more of an inexperienced puppy dog on a leash, who wants to be the big, bad dog, but has to obey his master - uh, that would be Morgan Freeman's character. :lol:

From what Tom has said, if I can "paraphrase" a bit, he didn't like playing this character, the way the part was written, I guess, but he said he was 'learning from the masters' (Hackman and Freeman) by taking on this role.

I think it's a good role though and well played by Tom.

Jen

Yeah. I'd heard he didn't like the way it was written but he made it work for him in the long run.

Naw, when I said the man you love to hate, I meant that the way he was going at the whole situation was showing clear that he was a rookie who wanted to get his foot into the door of success and gratitude. He wanted Freeman to let him loose and run free to grab the confessions. I liked the interaction between him and Freeman. It was very clear that he was his teacher in many ways. The scenes between Tom and Hackman were very good also. The intensity seemed to rise.

JO

Guest AdminGuyX

Great film. And sometimes an unhappy actor, or an actor struggling with a role, can produce an iconic performance. Harrison Ford in Blade Runner for instance. If Tom was unhappy with this, he clearly poured it into his work as he was a real powerhouse in this one.

I still feel this is Stephen Hopkins very best work.

I'm from San Juan and got to see some of the shootings as I went to Old San Juan to have some nigh-life fun as I do sometimes. But, I haven't seen the movie. Gonna rent it soon and give you my opinion of it. This year I did not attend the San Sebastian Festival, was down with the flu.

Just pulled this up on the netflix queue this evening. Had forgotten Jane was in it. Good flick.

Cool find! Zen-like Jane being interviewed. I should watch this movie at some point. 

3 hours ago, Tanya said:

Gene Hackman's birthday, found this article from 1998 (amazed the link still works) has a little section with a young Thomas

http://thehollywoodinterview.blogspot.com/2008/02/waiting-for-gene-on-set-of-under.html

Nice one, thanks Tanya!  Great interview, I can almost hear Thomas when reading his part ☺️

I just noticed that Thomas is mentioning the movie "Das Boot" (with the fantastic Jürgen Prochnow) in this interview. In case you haven't seen it yet: go for it! So thrilling, so claustrophobic... Enjoy 😉