Sign in to follow this  
Guest AdminGuyX

Nick Manabat

Guest AdminGuyX

Nick Manabat had a short career, but it had a serious impact on me. When I heard he was sick, then later that he had died, I felt devastated, even though I'd never met the man.

The back page stories he did in DeathBlow called "Cybernary" truly knocked me on my ass. Here is why.

cybernaryscan1.jpg

cybernaryscan2.jpg

cybernaryscan3.jpg

He used black in ways you just didn't see in the pages of an Image book, even in Deathblow, Jim Lee was trying to push himself in darker directions, and I liked that, but I couldn't shake Nick's visuals, and still can't. They still hold up for me today and still stir that dark little monster that lives inside my soul.

I've always been attracted to the darkness in certain artists work, but all I have of Nick's work is a few issues of Deathblow.

If anyone can help me find more, I'd be forever grateful.

Thanks!

Noeland----------

It's always a real shame when young talent is taken from us too soon - Eddie Biukovic, Martin Emond, Gene Day, and all too recently, Mike Wieringo.

I'm forgetting a handful of others but the point is, all these guys DRIPPED with talent and we never got enough of them.

I'm not familiar with Nick though these pages seem a true testament to his unique talent. He seems definitely to have his own spin on characters that are so often drawn in that replicated Marc Silvestri, Jim Lee way. What a shame we never got to see this cat move up the food chain and make his mark.

I'd love to see more.

- TB

I was always a huge fan of Nick Manabat. I was an avid reader of comics during Image Year One and was blown away by the amount of detail Nick could cram into a panel.

Filipino artists have had a proud history in American comics for decades.

-Jay

All the artists and comics we talked about Noeland and Nick Manabat never came up? Wierd huh? Nick came and left during a period where I was not reading comics. I discovered him only after he had passed and I agree with you Noeland, he floored me. I just fell in love with his stuff. Course it made me squint alot...I wanted to see tiny detail he packed into a panel

Here is a shame, taken from the DC forum, I hope they change their minds...

http://www.dccomics.com/news/?nw=7264

cybernary_cover02.jpg

cybernary_cover01.jpg

nickmanabat01.jpg

Guest AdminGuyX

Really? I thought we'd chatted about Nick's work before.

I doubt they'll change their minds, but at least they are aware some folks are interested in Nick's take on the character.

Well, they say the memory is the 1st thing to go and you know what they are correct...Yeah, now that you mention it, I think Nick Manabat was a topic of discussion in Tampa, when you were showing me a lot the stuff you have in you collection...shit, I hate getting old...