Nameless

Stander

standerDVD.jpg

main.jpg

You know I noticed that we have yet to talk about this movie and this is one of Tom's best movies at this point in time. I love the story (based on a true story of course) the acting, the three actors playing the three main characters and the music… I wish they would release the soundtrack. I love the look of the film; it looks like it was really made in the 1970’s. The commentary on the DVD to this is great.

All I have to say is that this movie blew all my expectations away. It kicked ass. Tom nailed that accent and the cinematography was beautiful. Some of the shots were just breath taking and the acting was top notch. I have to say my favorite scene is whent Tom pops out of the sun roof and wields around to shoot at the cops with his revolver, very bad ass.

_4-1.jpg

_5.jpg

_3-1.jpg

_1-1.jpg

_2-1.jpg

The score was good also but it was never officially released which is a damn shame.

JO

I remember that he turned down the role originally; it stands out now as one of his best. I felt the critics were generous with praise and I really believe that film was a turning point for him. Just my .02 cents.

You're right. This is probably one of Thomas' best works yet. I'd rank it right up there with 61*, The Mist and The Punisher as my favorites. He not only nailed the accent, but his performance was fantastic. It was gritty and real, and so many other words I can't even begin to think of. The most powerful scene to me was when he went to the family of the man he had killed seeking forgiveness or atonement, and basically let them beat the crap out of him, because he felt that he owed them that much. That was an AMAZING scene. And the ending was mind-blowing. Not quite up there with The Mist, but great.

But listening to Thomas talk about this movie, one would get the impression that he was disappointed in it. I've heard him comment about how much they had to leave out of the film because of (I guess) time and budget constraints, and that there were so many layers to the character that they couldn't show, that he was kind of disappointed in it. At least that's the way it seemed from hearing him talk about it. Listen to the FatFreeFilm podcast and what he has to say about it.

I still think it's some of his best work ever. But as he says, he's still waiting for that part that's going to really kick his career into overdrive. (paraphrasing here).

Mediumfan

Another great thing was the scene when Tom wants his wife to come with him and runaway but she says no. His reaction is so awesome. The way he looks hurt but at the same time like he knew she wouldn't then right when she goes to leave he looks like a hurt lil kid. Touching moment.

Stander379.jpg

Stander383.jpg

JO

I have to say my favorite scene is whent Tom pops out of the sun roof and wields around to shoot at the cops with his revolver, very bad ass.

Stander.jpg

Yeah, that scene is pretty cool.

One of my favorite scenes is when Stander was robbing banks alone and he goes back to the same bank to investigate the crime. The look on that woman's face and what Stander says is so funny.

"I know, it's been a bad day, you ok now?" :lol:

Another scene I love is when they go back to re-robbe the same bank.

mv_stander_1.jpg

Or when that person says

"Did we just get robbed by Andre Stander?! Hey we just got robbed by Andre Stander!" :lol:

Guest FADoss

Great movie that I picked up at a bizarre in Afghanistan last year. I had never heard of it, but saw Tom Jane on the cover and since his performance in "The Punisher" did it for me, I picked it up. One of the few movies I picked up over there that I forced my wife to watch when I got back.

Great work on this one Tom!

Fred

You're right. This is probably one of Thomas' best works yet. I'd rank it right up there with 61*, The Mist and The Punisher as my favorites. He not only nailed the accent, but his performance was fantastic. It was gritty and real, and so many other words I can't even begin to think of. The most powerful scene to me was when he went to the family of the man he had killed seeking forgiveness or atonement, and basically let them beat the crap out of him, because he felt that he owed them that much. That was an AMAZING scene. And the ending was mind-blowing. Not quite up there with The Mist, but great.

But listening to Thomas talk about this movie, one would get the impression that he was disappointed in it. I've heard him comment about how much they had to leave out of the film because of (I guess) time and budget constraints, and that there were so many layers to the character that they couldn't show, that he was kind of disappointed in it. At least that's the way it seemed from hearing him talk about it. Listen to the FatFreeFilm podcast and what he has to say about it.

I still think it's some of his best work ever. But as he says, he's still waiting for that part that's going to really kick his career into overdrive. (paraphrasing here).

Mediumfan

Yes. The scene between him and the old mand was great.

This is my interpretation of that scene and how it sums up the entire movie so much to the point that you know how the story will end.

The whole point of the film of Stander besides telling the true story of a legendary man is to present the way Stander felt about his life. Stander didn't understand what his objective in life was. He didn't know why he was alive or what he was destined to do, much like all of us. So, he would do things randomly and try to have some fun with it to take his mind off of the pain of not knowing why. Like when he robs the first bank, he does it, takes the money but then just tosses it. He doesn't care about the money. It is the feeling he's after. He's after that rush, that feeling that he is in control and can do whatever he wants. That same feeling occurs when he goes back to investigate his own robbery. He's laughing at them. Rubbing their face in it and saying, "F*ck you" to all of the police force. All the corruption that was taking place in the police force. The way they were used to kill innocents. He just didn't want to be apart of something that was originally supposed to help and ended up ultimately destroying what they were there to protect. Life. When he gets into fights or, as in this case, gets beaten by the pissed off father it is because he feels pain so much to the extent that he can't bare it and wants to feel something more straight foward. He wants to feel that way because someone makes him feel it and not because he feels it anyway as he always seemed to. He always seemed troubled. His marriage had ended and began several times and he just seemed like a lost boy that was never to find a home. He wants it to be over so he doesn't have to struggle anymore. He would do what he wanted. Push the bounds as far as they could go and if he got killed so be it and if he didn't no big deal another day to do it all over again until one day he would finally die.

That's just my opinion though. I see this film in many other ways but ultimately that one describes it down to the bone, at least I think so.

JO

thanks for checking it out. and thanks for the great, thoughtful comments. wish i could find another story like this, that people will finance and actually get made.

i've got a couple great ones but no one is putting up the dough for these great stories right now. don't get me started. T

thanks for checking it out. and thanks for the great, thoughtful comments. wish i could find another story like this, that people will finance and actually get made.

i've got a couple great ones but no one is putting up the dough for these great stories right now. don't get me started. T

It's really sad to see all this crap that the big Hollywood machine is pumping out, and great movies like Stander, Mutant Chronicles, and Dark Country don't get the buzz they deserve.

Guest AdminGuyX

Couldn't agree more. This is really a standout film that more folks need to see, and obviously the kind of film more studios and indy producers need to finance.

It's the kind of DVD that makes a good stocking stuffer too.

Tom, your performance was excellent. You carried the film with ease and grace, and when called for menace.

I never did understand this type of thinking, and I'm sure it's got to be frustrating for you Tom. Films like Stander and Give 'em Hell Malone are pretty low budget by today's standards, so why in a time of economic pressure, not put out great films made for cheap? It sounds like a money making situation to me, esspecially if you can find talent that will do the film for less than asking price (which if the scripts are good, I don't see that as a problem).

Whenever I want to turn someone onto TJ - I always recommend this movie. It's truly his best work (next to Mist).

JWeber makes a good case too.

As for dough and good stories - we might be on the verge of a new Federal Theatre Project . But that's like hoping in one hand and shitting in the other.

I think there's a nugget of truth in how Joss Whedon did Dr. Horrible. He's onto something there. A little Jonni Nitro, a little McKenzie digital action and either a creative or cash donation from each of us on the board...it might be suprising how far one could get.

Interesting idea, kdedu. It seems that everything is coming back around to being governmentally controlled or funded. I just read today that the government's share of the economy is now at the highest level since World War 2 (or somewhere in that time period- I read it in USA Today) and that the government's spending now accounts for about $1 out of every $4 spent. It wouldn't surprise me to hear someone come with an idea similar to this, especially with the current state of the film and television industry, and the looming threat of an actors' strike which seems to be on the verge of collapsing Hollywood. Whether it's greed on the part of the AMPTP or stubbornness on the part of SAG, I don't know, but it seems that something like this is going to have to happen to break the stalemate and get the industry back on its feet (or at least off its knees).

It's a shame too that Hollywood has become so commercialized that everyone only wants to make big-budget blockbusters with big name stars who are guaranteed to bring in a huge box office. And if you've noticed, lots of the movies that are being made, or talked about, are remakes of old movies or TV shows. It's almost as if Hollywood has lost its creative spark, and is just flinging shit at the screen to see what sticks (or makes money). Yet there are movies like Stander (and even Give 'em Hell, Malone and Dark Country) that struggle to find enough money to be made or even to find someone brave enough to think outside of the box and make the damn things.

Not kissin' anybody's ass here, but it's nice to see actors like Thomas who eschew the big budget, glitzy, Hollywood fare for grittier, more realistic movies and characters, and who will push the envelope creatively to make such films.

This film is just bloody AWESOME!

Just watched it again and it totally blew me away. It is a shame that not many films like that are made these days.

Why is that??

Love the music, love the acting (definitely one of TJ's finest moments)....

I always had a thing for Tricky's "Black Steel", so it was a treat to hear that while the credits were on.

I really like this film. No, "like" is an understatement. I love it. I've watched it so many times, I lost the count! (seriously, and don't you dare to laugh at me for that). And while searching pictures of Jane I found this really nice article about it -- I apologize in advance if it has been posted already:

http://www.dvdoutsider.co.uk/dvd/reviews/s/stander.html

*Friends are starting to get annoyed because I keep asking them if they've watched it too.

Stander is such a great film. It is my ultimate favorite Thomas Jane movie. I always love when actors wear disguises in movies, so having Tom Jane take on a role where he did was a dream come true. I just wish this movie got more credit than it did. I can just watch this movie over and over again. The acting is brilliant, and the music provides an amazing soundtrack. When I first saw the teaser trailer, I was hooked immediately. Just talking about it now makes me want to see it right now.

Thomas Jane is brilliant in this film. Never knew they had made a film about Stander. Growing up as a child in South Africa, Stander was a Robin Hood to kids. Yes he committed criminal acts, but it more complicated than that. The film is very accurate showing South Africa of that time period. All three main actors did a great job and Thomas Jane accent was very good as Stander! Very good film!

standerDVD.jpg

main.jpg

You know I noticed that we have yet to talk about this movie and this is one of Tom's best movies at this point in time. I love the story (based on a true story of course) the acting, the three actors playing the three main characters and the music… I wish they would release the soundtrack. I love the look of the film; it looks like it was really made in the 1970’s. The commentary on the DVD to this is great.

Yeah it’s a great film. Definitely one of those hidden gems you come across now and again. All the different outfits and disguises that Stander wears really reminds you how much of a chameleon Tom can be as an actor.

For example, I must have watched Face/Off like 20 times, but it took a friend to point out to me that he has a small role in it. I was like “Bullshit, I definitely would have noticed that.”, but I watched it again and low and behold there he was. It didn’t look or sound anything like him to me.

I just saw this movie for the first time. It really is another one of Thomas Jane's characters that is caught between a rock and a hard place. Do you do the right thing? Or do you do the other right thing? These tragic roles are so compelling and the most poignant when the point is reached when hope is lost and resignation sets in.

In Japanese culture, stories of the hero being in positions like this are common and beloved. In Norse mythology, Odin had the gift of forsight, so he knew that eventually, everything would be destroyed and nothing could be done to stop it.

How one decisively deals with the inevitability that things are going to end in failure, that's what creates a character.

This is by far one of his best movies yet. I have loved everything he has been in and I am sure there is much more to come from him. :rolleyes:

Hello to all,

Now it's my time to add a brick to this wall. I'm catching up and saw Stander two days ago. I enjoyed this movie very much and my husband maybe even more than me. The dynamic is excellent, we get to really see what those three guys go through and how they grow closer to each other.

However I believe the motivation of Stander is too simplistically represented. In the movie I got the feeling that he's robbing banks 1/ as a kind of a shock reaction after he had to fight against the mob and kill people 2/ because he didn't approve the priorities given by his management and thought the police was not concentrating on the real issues.

I believe there must have been more than that. These reasons alone can't lead him to such extremes. I would expect a kind of craziness or let's call it psychological deviation. The circle of life is closing at the end when he gets shot by a policeman. The policeman has to act quickly. He doesn't know if this person is a real threat or maybe just drunk. Will that policeman have himself psychological issues after killing Stander? Probably. But will he start to rob banks? I guess no. So I wished there would have been more background on that side.

The 70's feeling was very well alive! Costumes, music, camera position (shots from the bottom when he's walking), nice cars, this was great. Did you notice the TJ license plate on the opening scene? 😉 I had to smile because Tom posted the license plate hint from deep blue sea a few days ago on Instagram.

Personally I was struggling with the accent (of all characters!), so I could understand only ~80% 😖 my problem.

All in all a great movie. Unbelievable life. And I'm glad to know about Andre Stander now.

My turn!  Saw this for the first time last week and I have to say that, Geoff, I totally get why this is in your 'TJ Top 3'.  Everything about it is top notch, Tom's accent never falters (superbly done), the wardrobe and score are excellent and the story trips along at a fair old pace, never drags.  I was even pleasantly surprised by Dexter Fletcher's performance.

(Sidenote - I did wonder for a while at the beginning whether Tom was 80% Teflon, the man just couldn't seem to keep his clothes on!)

I took it to be a man who was totally disillusioned with the establishment he was trying to work within, fellow police seeing unrest as a chance to earn overtime, so overcome with guilt at what he was having to do that something had to give.  What makes somebody do the things they do, who knows what goes on in anybody's mind?  The scene where he threw himself to the dogs (his victim's father) was heartbreaking, nothing they could do to him could hurt him more than the torment he was going through.  The conclusion was almost inevitable although I was half hoping for him to just live out his life in Florida. And as Ariane mentioned, did the cop who shot him have the same psychological fallout...........?  I saw Andre Stander as a good man that bad things happened to, not fundamentally a bad man at all, and Thomas brought him to the screen brilliantly.