sidewaysgaze

The Mist

Well, the movie is coming out here this week...Who knows when it's coming to a cinema near me (If at all)

I think we like the same movies, "Mr. Pegg", ahem... Just wanted to also say that I hope The Mist opens at a theater near you and that you get a chance to see it on the big screen. It's the way to go for all the creepy crawlies and scaries in the film, especially near the end... - you'll be 'running scared' once you see that mindblowing ending! :P

Jen

I was so damn bummed when I diddnt catch this at the movies! Well got today and even angrier at myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This movie is So freaking AWESOME!!!! I loved it. As Always Mr. Jane was freaking wicked , The story RULED! So not your typical Fing hollywood type movie that we are all tired of!

Again LOVED LOVED LOVED IT!

In Fact Im going to paint for myself a pic of one of the scene as soon as I get some other projects off my tabel.

If you havent seen it and love a great movie , that is like reading a great comic or book. I would say just buy it. Dont bother with the rental!

Guest FADoss

Here's hoping that Thomas Jane + Stephen King = DARK TOWER in the near future. Match made in heaven and the ONLY guy I want to see as Roland.

Fred

Today I got the Limited Collectors Edition DVD and saw the movie for the first time. It's pretty good and I wasn't disappointed! I like the ambiguity of the mist's origin and the situation in the market provides for some good drama and also a bit humor. It shows how different people react to some kind of terror and how fast humans can become violent and insane. I don't know the Stephen King novel yet, but I think the ending of the movie is quite cool. It's shocking, it's unexpected...

and suicide sucks

;)

Very solid performances throughout. TJ is very good, especially at the end. William Sadler is good too, very natural performance by Toby Jones and you just love to hate Marcia Gay Harden in that role ^^ As a Riddick fan, it was also nice to see Alexa Davalos again. The effects are okay overall, even though you notice the low budget at some points.

7 / 10

The black and white takes care of some the effects problems.

But I also love that a few of the shots of the spiders and birds look kinda like Harryhausen stop motion.

Today I got the Limited Collectors Edition DVD and saw the movie for the first time. It's pretty good and I wasn't disappointed! I like the ambiguity of the mist's origin and the situation in the market provides for some good drama and also a bit humor. It shows how different people react to some kind of terror and how fast humans can become violent and insane. I don't know the Stephen King novel yet, but I think the ending of the movie is quite cool. It's shocking, it's unexpected...

and suicide sucks

;)

Totally agree !!! :)

By cons for the French version, I found that the dubbing was not always very good...

Very solid performances throughout. TJ is very good, especially at the end. William Sadler is good too, very natural performance by Toby Jones and you just love to hate Marcia Gay Harden in that role ^^ As a Riddick fan, it was also nice to see Alexa Davalos again. The effects are okay overall, even though you notice the low budget at some points.

7 / 10

Me too !!! I am a fan of tandem "Richard B. Riddick and Kyra" !!!!!!! B)

Here's a link to an interesting review of The Mist that focuses on the major themes of the film. SPOILER ALERT - the film's ending is dissected in detail, so DO NOT READ THE REVIEW IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE FILM!

I also thought it was cool that Tom got a special acting mention, especially for the last part of the film.

http://shaunoconnor.wordpress.com/2008/08/...he-last-decade/

Jen

"I think that special mention has to be given to actor Thomas Jane (who plays Drayton), as his performance is these final scenes is stunning. His crushing, guttural screams are punctuated with brief moments of jaded, accepting calm, and seem much closer to a state of total despair than any more classically theatrical turn could convey."

369669yr9.gif

Perfect actor, perfect playing. B)

One scene I liked was in the deleted scenes when Drayton and a bunch of the others confronted Private Jessup about where the other soldiers were and Jessup denied knowing anything...and Drayton says " You're gonna have to help us look for your friends, otherwise Im going to have to tell Ollie here to shoot you in the leg..." or something like that.

I saw again the movie last night and this is undeniable, I adore.

Some people might say that we are not objective because we're fans of Thomas. And well not, I would have anyway loved this film, with or without him. Certainly, the film is even better thanks to Thomas and he gives a lot of charm and intensity to David Drayton.

I read the comments on imdb, including the negatives, and I can't answer because they are so stupid (fortunately, there are positive rating). How to defend a film against people who have so little arguments (and who have no taste !). I rest on my positions : most people who post messages on imdb are idiots (and often hovering on the ridiculous, I read also some comments on Thomas, it's sometimes staggering !). I can't (and I don't want) to demean me at their level.

oh boy, IGN.com.... another fucked up place.

"Unfortunately, however, there is a point at which the visceral, time-bending effects of the black-and-white presentation conflict with the sensibilities of the time in which the film is actually set. It's jarring to hear commonplace, modern-day curse words in the context of such a dated patina. One expects the characters to panic politely – to walk around in their well-tailored Sunday best – and utilize phrases last heard in classic Hitchcock films. Consequently, there are moments, both visual and character-driven, which will likely remove most audiences from the terrifying effectiveness of the film's presentation."

.........Oh give me a fucking break.

Here's a link to an interesting review of The Mist that focuses on the major themes of the film. SPOILER ALERT - the film's ending is dissected in detail, so DO NOT READ THE REVIEW IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE FILM!

I also thought it was cool that Tom got a special acting mention, especially for the last part of the film.

http://shaunoconnor.wordpress.com/2008/08/...he-last-decade/

Jen

thank Jen. this is pretty thoughtful stuff. nice to see the work we did was appreciated and understood - at least by some. TJ

I can't wait for the blu-ray version on Sept 16th. Haven't watched the film in B&W yet, should be a cool experience. IGN just gave the disc an 8/10

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/902/902819p1.html

There is a version in black and white ? :blink:

For the entire movie or just few passages ?

The entire movie on special versions of the DVD (and presumably the Blu Ray version). Black and White was apparently Darabont's original vision but alas, practical (financial) concerns got the better of all involved.

I can't wait until the DVD is released in the UK so I can finally see The Mist as it was originally intened. I grew up watching a load of Black and White TV (mostly unintentionally ... our second TV was Black and White) and still remember what a great Friday night I had watching 'The Thing from Another World' and the earlier series of 'The Avengers' (as in British 60's TV show with John Steed and Cathy Gale, not the comic book characters). Stylistically, Black and White can be so much more evocative that colour with the right material, for which 'The Mist' is an excellent fit.

Kind of ironic though, watching a movie in Black and White where the characters/choices/themes are anything but Black and White.

oh boy, IGN.com.... another fucked up place.

"Unfortunately, however, there is a point at which the visceral, time-bending effects of the black-and-white presentation conflict with the sensibilities of the time in which the film is actually set. It's jarring to hear commonplace, modern-day curse words in the context of such a dated patina. One expects the characters to panic politely – to walk around in their well-tailored Sunday best – and utilize phrases last heard in classic Hitchcock films. Consequently, there are moments, both visual and character-driven, which will likely remove most audiences from the terrifying effectiveness of the film's presentation."

.........Oh give me a fucking break.

IGN expects the best of both worlds from one film, which is unfair criticism imo. There was a b&w X-files episode about a Frankenstein-like monster, they had modern slang and references from Jerry Springer to Cher throughout. Despite this, the ep still felt like classic horror to me, and I'm sure a b&w Mist will pull it off even more.

The entire movie on special versions of the DVD (and presumably the Blu Ray version). Black and White was apparently Darabont's original vision but alas, practical (financial) concerns got the better of all involved.

I did not know it, but why not !

By cons, I doubt that the black and white version will be available on DVD french (September 18), I don't even know if they will release a collector edition (as in zone 1, I believe).

That first review from IGN came from a retarded jackass, the second person did gave the film a 7 out 10 score... but his so-called complaint about the black and white version and what the actors say, such as cures words will some how take you out of the story was very, very dumb. It's the Blu-Ray DVD disc, what the disc offers is what really got the high score from IGN..... man, IGN.com has got some terrible reviewers.

There's a new positive review of the film up at Blu-Ray.com

The Blu Ray version comes out tomorrow! Should be worth getting even if you have the dvd, there's the Dolby TrueHD 5.1 lossless audio track, plus the better PQ obviously.

Fucking Blu-Ray gets the Struzan artwork for the cover, regular DVD gets stuck with shitty photoshop.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.