sidewaysgaze

The Mist

I just saw this movie again, and it is just as good the second time around, probably better because I saw some things that I hadn't noticed before. And even though I knew what was coming, it still scared me, particularly in those moments when Darabont used the element of surprise ( to great effect, I might add), and I found myself jumping in my seat several times. And the ending is no less gut-wrenching the second time around, even though I knew what was coming.

And I heard the best compliment that I think can be paid to a screenwriter, filmmaker or actor after seeing the movie. At the end, I heard more than one person say, "Damn, that was a good movie. I want to see it again."

Again, kudos to Thomas, Darabont, and everyone else for a great job.

mediumfan

Well the movie was very, very good. I went with two other people. All three of us jumped at a few scenes. We all loved it and the ending. I love how after a scene was over the picture would fade away to black, showing that a few hours had pasted. That reminded me of The Thing, that movie had scenes like that. All the actors did a great job of making it seem very real, like it was really happening.

I'm not sure if this is where I should put these Mist tidbits from Fangoria.com, but oh, well - here they are - :lol:

Check out an exclusive video interview with Tom (in RAW Entertainment t-

shirt) at this link:

http://www.fangoria.com/mist/

and here's a link to storyboards of The Mist:

http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=5535

Also, the latest issue of Fangoria, #268, features The Mist (on the

cover too!).

Check out more info at:

http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=5535

Jen

About The Mist, at least for me, there were things I liked, and things I didn't like about the film - but have to say, it's the most thought-provoking film I've seen in a looong time...

I'm not saying that you have too think that hard while watching it - it's only after seeing the film that I suddenly had all these questions and thoughts about it, and to me, that's a sign that a film is pretty deep and means something...you know, that you're actually thinking about it days, or weeks later. :)

But then, of course, I loved all the action sequences too... :P

Jen

I just saw the mist tonight. All I have to say is... Holy Shit man... Holy Shit..

That movie was great. I can't say it was amazing because of what happened to the characters in the movie wasn't really amazing, but what it gave you was a cold cold peice of horror that can send a chill up your spine because there was NO HAPPY ENDING as usually most movies have. This movie deserves 5 stars because it gave me something That I haven't seen before in my life, and it has lasting effects on the crowd.

GREEAT FRIGGIN JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw the film last week... and I still find myself thinking about it... Christ... it was dark and thought-provoking. Great performances all around... what a creepy and disturbing film. The kind of movie that sticks with you like this is a great film.

Though that ending left me feeling like shit... it is that downbeat.

I have to agree with JEN, there were things I liked and things I didn't like about the movie. I like the cast and very much enjoyed the acting performances. I didn't like the ending, that kind of ending always makes me feel like I wasted 2 hours of my time. Not that I have to have a happy ending, I'm not a big fan of neat happy endings, it's just made no sense to me at all. I was very dissapointed in it.

Guest AdminGuyX

The only part of the ending that I enjoyed was the fact that "help" was behind them, and had they waited just a little longer to drink the koolaid, well, you know.

I'll tell you what though, Jane's performance post shootings was gut wrenching. Tore me up.

Yeah, that whole ending was like a kick in the teeth, but I think without it the movie would have been kind of dull and flat. A typical Hollywood ending would have done nothing for me. But this ending really gave the movie a WOW effect that makes it stick with you long after you've seen it. A really good movie does that, and this is one of those.

And I'm like noeland, "if they had just waited a few minutes longer", but that would have been cliched. And Thomas' performance at the end was fantastic. As noeland said, really gut-wrenching stuff. But I loved it.

Mediumfan

By now I think the members of this board who are going to see this movie have seen it so I don't think we will be tossing any spoilers out there for those who have not? If you haven't see it and don't want to read a spoiler THEN STOP NOW!!!

I agree that TJ's performance pre and post the killings or murderings of family and friends was terrific, actually having seen him in so much I would have been dissapointed if they weren't.

The part that really wasn't clear to me was the message that the director was trying to send with the ending. Was he trying to say "Never give up hope, help may be just moments away, see what happens when you don't struggle to the very bitter end?"

Or was he trying to say "So much of what happens in life is out of our control so why try? See what happens when you do? Just pack it in, it would have been easier to kill yourselves when the shit 1st hit the fan?".

Odds are he is leaving it to open to our own interpitations. Which is pretty much ok I guess, when I look at it that way, I like ending like that.

But somewhere along the line I got the feeling, more towards the end, that I was being preached at, I really hate being preach at. I don't want to sound like TL here, but it makes me want to smack somebody in the head when they preach at me.

I thought what happened at the end was a logical conclusion given everything that had happened to the characters during the previous two days.

They've seen all kinds of creepy critters and people dying in ghastly ways.

Drayton's seen all of these things because he went over to the pharmacy.

Drayton promised his son that he would not let the monsters get him.

The army guys who knew what happened killed themselves, indicating that they were not expecting rescue.

After they get out of the grocery store, all they see are more creepy critters and dead people. There is nothing that they come across that gives them any hope that things will change.

They're tired, scared, hopeless, maybe a little irrational by that point. But Drayton loves his son.

It sort of reminded me when in Aliens Ripley says something to Hicks like, "Please don't let that happen to me." And Hicks says, "If it comes to that I'll do us both. But, hey, let's not let it come to that." And Hicks and Ripley had some hope because they still had the drop ship.

It came to "that" for Drayton, and the other three adults in the car, because they had no hope.

I thought what happened at the end was a logical conclusion given everything that had happened to the characters during the previous two days.

They've seen all kinds of creepy critters and people dying in ghastly ways.

Drayton's seen all of these things because he went over to the pharmacy.

Drayton promised his son that he would not let the monsters get him.

The army guys who knew what happened killed themselves, indicating that they were not expecting rescue.

After they get out of the grocery store, all they see are more creepy critters and dead people. There is nothing that they come across that gives them any hope that things will change.

They're tired, scared, hopeless, maybe a little irrational by that point. But Drayton loves his son.

It sort of reminded me when in Aliens Ripley says something to Hicks like, "Please don't let that happen to me." And Hicks says, "If it comes to that I'll do us both. But, hey, let's not let it come to that." And Hicks and Ripley had some hope because they still had the drop ship.

It came to "that" for Drayton, and the other three adults in the car, because they had no hope.

Well said. And I thought of that scene too in Aliens when they said

"Hicks I'm not going to end up like those others."

"If it comes to that I'll do us both."

Well said. And I thought of that scene too in Aliens when they said

"Hicks I'm not going to end up like those others."

"If it comes to that I'll do us both."

Excellent point. I hadn't thought of that similarity, but then I haven't seen Aliens in a looong time. I also like what Irish said about the ending. I had a similar thought myself. What exactly was Darabont trying to say with the ending? Did he have a message, or was he leaving it up to the viewer to interpret their own ideas from it?

I prefer to think that we each have our own way to look at the movie, and the ending. What would we do in that situation? Would we be able to hold it together? Or would we snap under such enormous fear and pressure? Could we do what David did in the end if we had to? Where does our faith come from? Within ourselves, or from some unseen power? How do we tap into it when we need it? How long is long enough when you're faced with imminent death? How much can we take before we surrender to it?

I think maybe the purpose of the ending is to let us figure these things out for ourselves.

Irish, I know what you mean about being preached at, but I didn't really feel that from this movie, except when Mrs. Carmody opened her mouth. I didn't really think that the movie was preaching something as it was illustrating just how fragile and dangerous and unpredictable human beings can be when placed in extreme situations. That's just my thought on it. But I still loved the movie.

Mediumfan

On another note, I noticed a few "geek" things in the Mist. Most noticably was the poster art for the Thing. I'm guessing the poster that David was working on in the begining was Dark Tower. The thing that got me really excited was I noticed in the pharmacy that when David grabs a comic for Billy, it was an issue of Hellboy (I'm 95% sure on that). Hmmm, I wonder?

It was definitely Hellboy. I know this for a fact. But even more cool is what is on the rack BEHIND Hellboy, after Drayton picks off the comic. It's a copy of Bad Planet #2! And yes, There is a copy of "The Goon" too. Darabont is a big Mignola fan, and he LOVES Eric Powell and The Goon. Tom made sure Bad Planet made it on the rack, we had to "dummy" up a copy since it wasn't out yet. We wrapped Wrightson's issue 2 cover around another comic.

Cool right?

Also, the biker was played by an actor named Brian Libby. You may remember him from his starring role in 1982's Chuck Norris vehicle "Silent Rage", he played the villain, John Kirby (Frankenstein). But even more cool is this . . .

Libby is Frank Darabont's "good luck charm". He's been in EVERY Darabont directed film.

The woman who throws the peas is veteran actress Francis Sternhagen. She is brilliant in everything she does. You might remember her as the doctor, one of the only people on Sean Connery's side in "Outland". But yes, even more cool she is a Stephen King Alumni having starred in "Stephen King's The Golden Years", a really cool short lived TV show (or was it a miniseries?). Another noteable appearance is Darabont vet, "Jeffery DeMunn", Who has been in all of Darabont's films with the exception of "Buried Alive".

The paintings in the film are all by the magnificent Drew Stuzan, who's done everything from Black Sabbath's "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" album cover to "First Blood", "Star Wars", "Indiana Jones", and a thousand other incredible movie posters. Drew actually gave Jane lessons, and Darabont had replica giclees made for all the prop paintings in the film by Struzan. Tom actually did lay paint on that Dark Tower painting. Our favorite FX guy in the business, Greg Nicotero somehow escaped Shreveport with all the reproductions. Lucky sumbitch ;)

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX

So Drew did those? I was wondering! I geeked out over the gunslinger painting too. I'm a big Roland of Gilead fan. Big. And all the little nods here and there were cool as hell. I didn't know Darabont was a comics fan, but I did know he was a blade runner fan (he's all over the special features for the new boxed set)

Man, I wonder what a Darabont directed Punisher film would be like?

I know JJ Abrams has been mentioned, but personally I want to see the studios give Frank a couple hundred million and let him make The Dark Tower series of films. I'd fucking love that!!

Man, that kicks major ass. I loved the painting of "THE THING" also. I thought it was a nice touch.

One thing that's been bothering me is alot of people I talk to about seeing "THE MIST" is that they have a problem with the CGI. But, was I the only one who loved it? I didn't want it any better. I thought it did perfect for 2 reasons.

1) The monsters are believed to be fake by other people so when they are described they are hard to imagine as life like.

2) The whole time Tom Jane is fighting off these fuckin' things he's tired, out of it and just really fuckin' sad and pissed off. He doesn't want to believe in what's happening and what's it all to be a dream so I thought the creatures had an everlasting effect.

Was that just me?

Also, does anyone know where I can get a copy or picture of the painting of "THE THING" that was in this film?

JO

It was definitely Hellboy. I know this for a fact. But even more cool is what is on the rack BEHIND Hellboy, after Drayton picks off the comic. It's a copy of Bad Planet #2! And yes, There is a copy of "The Goon" too. Darabont is a big Mignola fan, and he LOVES Eric Powell and The Goon. Tom made sure Bad Planet made it on the rack, we had to "dummy" up a copy since it wasn't out yet. We wrapped Wrightson's issue 2 cover around another comic.

Cool right?

Also, the biker was played by an actor named Brian Libby. You may remeber him from his starring role in 1982's Chuck Norris vehicle "Silent Rage", he played the villain, John Kirby (Frankenstein). But even more cool is this . . .

Libby is Frank Darabont's "good luck charm". He's been in EVERY Darabont directed film.

The woman who throws the peas is veteran actress Francis Sternhagen. She is brilliant in everything she does. You might remember her as the doctor, one of the only people on Sean Connery's side in "Outland". But yes, even more cool she is a Stephen King Alumni having starred in "Stephen King's The Golden Years", a really cool short lived TV show (or was it a miniseries?). Another noteable appearance is Darabont vet, "Jeffery DeMunn", Who has been in all of Darabont's films with the exception of "Buried Alive".

The paintings in the film are all by the magnificent Drew Stuzan, who's done everything from Black Sabbath's "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" album cover to "First Blood", "Star Wars", "Indiana Jones", and a thousand other incredible movie posters. Drew actually gave Jane lessons, and Darabont had replica giclees made for all the prop paintings in the film by Struzan. Tom actually did lay paint on that Dark Tower painting. Our favorite FX guy in the business, Greg Nicotero somehow escaped Shreveport with all the reproductions. Lucky sumbitch ;)

- TB

Wow, thanks for those little "insider" clues and tips, TB. That's fun stuff to know. (I'm a trivia geek myself) The scene with the comic books happened so fast that I couldn't tell what the covers looked like. (Of course, I was sitting inthe back of the theater, lol) I'll have to grab the dvd as soon as it comes out and look for those things.

The stuff about Drew Struzan (I just saw the new poster for the Indy 4 movie and it is awesome!) is cool too. The fact that he gave Thomas lessons and that Thomas actually did some painting in that is really cool.

I knew the biker guy looked familiar, but I couldn't remember where I'd seen him before. But he does remind me a lot of Ron Perlman. And the lady with the peas was so familiar, yet I couldn't place her either, until I saw the last episode of "The Closer". She plays Kyra Sedgwick's mother on that show, and she is great.

Love that stuff, TB.

Mediumfan

One thing that's been bothering me is alot of people I talk to about seeing "THE MIST" is that they have a problem with the CGI. But, was I the only one who loved it? I didn't want it any better. I thought it did perfect for 2 reasons.

I didn't mind the CGI at all. I thought it looked good.

It was definitely Hellboy. I know this for a fact. But even more cool is what is on the rack BEHIND Hellboy, after Drayton picks off the comic. It's a copy of Bad Planet #2!

Didn't see that. Funny though considering that in the drug store Drayton is fighting off giant spiders and in Bad Planet there are giant death spiders.

I didn't know Darabont was a comics fan, but I did know he was a blade runner fan (he's all over the special features for the new boxed set)

Darabont is a massive fan of Blade Runner (As I'm sure you know by now). So much so that safely tucked away in his office is scale model of a Spinner in flight, with the most baddass working lights, etc. Not sure what scale it's at but it's a good 18" in length. I think it's even got Gaff in the cockpit. The first thing I asked him when I found out he had to evacuate his home during the fires at Griffith Park was "Dude, did you grab all your Wrightson originals, and the SPINNER when you got the fuck outta there?" He's the envy of every Blade Runner fan he knows. The real crime is that he also owns that Struzan painting from the new DVD cover. Seriously a crime because I don't own it :)

He aso owns Drew's original paintings for The Shawshank Redemption 10th Anniversary and the new Green Mile piece.

MUST be nice.

I thought he sold giclees of his work but after looking through his site I don't see anything for sales of reproductions.

You can buy originals though and they are a pretty penny, trust me.

http://www.drewstruzan.com

- TB

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.