sidewaysgaze

The Mist

Jen, are you saying ya didn't like the ending? I feel the irony of it made the film even more unforgettable. Did you like the film?

-TL

Heya TL -

Okay, I will say this for now - I was riveted for the 2-hour plus running time, but I was just flattened by the ending... It's been about a day and half since I saw the film, and I'm still not over it...

I think Tom was great in his role, but I also like the actor who played Ollie (sorry, I don't know his name - Tobey Jones maybe?) and Nathan Gamble, who played Tom's son - oh, and the "old woman" and her can of peas and good aim. ;)

Jen

On another note, I noticed a few "geek" things in the Mist. Most noticably was the poster art for the Thing. I'm guessing the poster that David was working on in the begining was Dark Tower. The thing that got me really excited was I noticed in the pharmacy that when David grabs a comic for Billy, it was an issue of Hellboy (I'm 95% sure on that). Hmmm, I wonder?

Another "geek" thing - I was waiting to see that revolving metal rack of Stephen King paperbacks, but for some reason didn't see them, but I did see a copy of The Goon on the rack.

Jen

TJ is great in it. He hasn't done a role like this before, be sure of that. A very emotional flick for the man.

-TL

It's one thing to be physically battered, but the emotional toll must have been great on Tom during the filming of this! :o

I definitely liked the "action sequences" with the various creatures and the everyday people combatting them, especially how the character Ollie dispatched some of them. :)

Jen

:o :o :o

I just saw this and all I can say is Holy Crap!!! This is an excellent movie. And Jen, I didn't think the ending was flat at all. On the contrary, it almost felt right. It almost felt like it HAD to end that way. Anything else would have been too Hollywood and would have been a letdown after that story. That's all I can say without giving too much away.

JWeber, you're right about the Dark Tower poster in the beginning, but I didn't notice what the comic was. Also was it just me, or did anyone else think the biker dude looked a lot like Ron Perlman? And I loved the old lady with the peas, and her can of Raid!! Too funny! I can't say anything else without spoiling it, but let me just say,

Go see this movie. This movie is too freaking good to let die at the box office. This movie HAS to be seen. Go see it, and tell everyone you know about it. This is the best horror movie I've seen in a looooong time. Not since Needful Things, Green Mile, and Shawshank Redemption have I enjoyed a Stephen King movie so much. And this is by far one of Thomas' best performances EVER. It's right up there with 61*, Stander, and The Punisher in my book. This movie SHOULD start making people notice Thomas a lot more in Hollywood. It's about time too.

This is a thinking person's horror movie for sure. As Thomas says, it's got a little oomph. It makes you stop and ask yourself what you would do in that situation, and not many movies can do that. This was excellent work by all involved. If I was wearing a hat, I'd tip it to Frank Darabont for a brilliant adaption and direction, and to Thomas and the rest of the cast for a job well done.

Kudos to all involved.

Mediumfan

Jen I agree with you, one CREATURE NEEDED to be "dispatched" by Ollie. You know who I'm talkin about.

-TL

:lol: Oh, yeah, in a bad way!!

Jen

:o :o :o

I just saw this and all I can say is Holy Crap!!! This is an excellent movie. And Jen, I didn't think the ending was flat at all. On the contrary, it almost felt right. It almost felt like it HAD to end that way. Anything else would have been too Hollywood and would have been a letdown after that story. That's all I can say without giving too much away.

Mediumfan

Hey Mediumfan!

What I mean is I was flattened, not that the ending was flat! :o I was just shocked, knocked flat, punched in the gut...well, you get it. :lol: Rolled over by a steamroller...

Jen

Hey Mediumfan!

What I mean is I was flattened, not that the ending was flat! :o I was just shocked, knocked flat, punched in the gut...well, you get it. :lol: Rolled over by a steamroller...

Jen

Oh, right. Gotcha! That's one way to describe it. Color me flattened too. I'm still reeling from that ending. And you and TL are both so right about that one particular "creature" that got dispatched. That one Definitely needed to be dispatched, in a BIG way.

"You can stone people that piss you off, can't you?"

I love that line , and the rest of it. You know what I"m talking about.

Mediumfan

The Mist

Shit man, I don't know what to say about this film.

I'm a fan of Thomas Jane and of Stephen King and this film is just, wow. I mean it's amazing. It was bashed before it came out because of similarities to other films, etc. Who cares.

The Mist is a breed of it's own. I mean I've never seen anything like the ending, which seems to be what everyone is talking about and for good reason. That ending man, that ending was perfect. And you don't get that with many movies, especially Stephen King movies. They always fuck up Stephen King movies except this Director has done two previous movies of King and they were good, this one was great. Tom gives a good performance, every single actor in this film does. This film is worth seeing and should be seen. 'Nuff Said.

JO

Thanks TL.

I was pretty sure that it was Hellboy. It just seemed so odd considering that Tim just anounced Ron Perlman as the Sherif. Not sure if that was filmed before Ron signed on or if it was just some weird twist of fate.

I'm pretty sure it was long before Pearlman signed on for Dark Country - but it may be a tribute to TJ and Ron's collaboration in Mutant Chronicles. Its fuckin cool to see that when TJ faces those kinds of foes he goes for a comic rather than jinzu knives.

-TL

Box Office for The Mist over Thanksgiving Weekend in USA:

Here's the link to the complete box office breakdown:

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/2007112...9602734000.html

and the specific deets about The Mist:

The Stephen King adaptation "The Mist," a fright flick distributed by MGM for the Weinstein Co.'s Dimension Films banner, premiered in ninth-place with $9.1 million for the weekend and $13 million since Wednesday.

The third King adaptation from director Frank Darabont ("The Shawshank Redemption" and "The Green Mile"), "The Mist" stars Thomas Jane, Marcia Gay Harden, Andre Braugher and Toby Jones among residents trapped in a supermarket after their Maine town is engulfed in a haze filled with terrifying creatures.

Horror films generally are trashed by critics, but "The Mist" earned fairly positive reviews, much like Dimension Films' summer hit "1408," also based on a King story. Bob Weinstein, co-founder of the Weinstein Co., said that could mean a longer shelf life for "The Mist" the same way that "1408" hung on in theaters.

"It just stuck around, and hopefully, we'll be around for several weeks," Weinstein said. "We're just so thrilled to be in the Stephen King business."

Jen

Yeah, Jen, I saw that box office too, and that kinda sucked, cause I thought this was a great movie. Maybe it will gain some footing and hold on for a few weeks if word of mouth gets out and people start going to see it. I'm hoping that "Enchanted" will tank quickly. I'm so sick of Patrick Dempsey and seeing his face. I hope that movie goes away quickly, and don't get me started on his tv show.

I just hope that word of mouth will help The Mist pick up steam in the next couple of weeks. It's a great movie that deserves better than to die at the box office, beaten by a fluff piece that features Patrick Dempsey in a dress.

Mediumfan

Saw it yesterday and thought it was great! Thomas Jane was awesome as always. I really hope the movie can hang in there and make a profit and do well on DVD. I swear I don't get some of the films that make big money lately, you couldn't pay me enough to see Enchanted.

Aaron

Saw it yesterday and thought it was great! Thomas Jane was awesome as always. I really hope the movie can hang in there and make a profit and do well on DVD. I swear I don't get some of the films that make big money lately, you couldn't pay me enough to see Enchanted.

Aaron

Amen to that, brother.

Mediumfan

I guess I'm not surprised. Thanksgiving is a big family holiday. So if folks are visiting and want to go to a movie together, you have to pick something safe for the kiddies. I'm hoping The Mist will hold pretty steady over the next couple of weeks.

I was not impressed when I saw at least a couple of kids in the theater, when we saw The Mist, who could not have been more than 10 years old. Some people. :(

I stop caring about box office numbers a long time ago. They don't say what film is good and what isn't. I can think of many films that have great acting, story, plot and so on but they didn't make that much money at the box office at all.

Idina Menzel (RENT) is fuckin fantastic in Enchanted. Guys, please watch the films before passing judgment - The Mist is great and no-one can fuck with it, but there are other good films out there too. I already saw the Mist 3 times and payed for it twice, but that wasn't gonna stop me from checkin out the rest of the menu.

-TL

sorry I hate Disney crap, always have even as a kid.

Aaron

If ya liked Kate & Leopold - you'd like this thing. Kate & Leopold is still MUCH better. And Idina is HOT! Lookin for a hot pic to post as I write this...

-TL

wow what a true classic horro film a real movie finally one of the deepist storys ever great cast great diretor and toms proformens was wonderfull i was spechless after watching this masterpice such a deep story wow unbeliveble best movie of the year ill never forget it amezing ture horro film makeing just like the old days wow

wow what a true classic horro film a real movie finally one of the deepist storys ever great cast great diretor and toms proformens was wonderfull i was spechless after watching this masterpice such a deep story wow unbeliveble best movie of the year ill never forget it amezing ture horro film makeing just like the old days wow

Went with hubby yesterday to see the movie, OMG! It was great! Tom was freakin awesome as ever, and handsome as ever:) I did not like the ending, but that's how movies go..if only they'd waited 2 minutes! hehe. Great job Tom! Love ya man!

tammy