sidewaysgaze

The Mist

Here's the link to another blogger review of The Mist:

"Not only do the townsfolk have to survive the onslaught of "alien monsters," but they must also survive their paranoia and mentally instable selves."

http://movieblog.iheartmovies.com/2010/05/...ck-6-2010-mist/

Jen

Saw the Mist for the first time a last week.

wow, love it but more wow was the ending! I cant remember the last movie before this that I saw where I sat with my mouth open! I love films that leave you with thinking 'what the!?' at the end!

Here are the links to a couple good reviews of The Mist just in time for Halloween:

http://thingthatdontsuck.blogspot.com/2010...ay-15-mist.html

and

this one which breaks down the violence and scares factors, among other things:

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/features/...or-the-mist.php

Jen

If anyone is interested, my local Best Buy and Walmart each had the Bluray of The Mist for $10. Some stores vary, but wouldn't hurt to keep an eye out for it.

Worked out well, got the second Bluray in my collection for cheap, and gave my old dvd copy to a friend that I recently got to watch the movie (which she dug).

I should be going to a big screen showing of the film in black & white this Halloween. Life is good sometimes :lol:

Growing up with a brother (whom I looked up to) that was such a crazy fanatic of sci fi/horror flicks

(such as "aliens", "blade runner" and "the thing")...truthfully, I am surprised I have never seen this.

Over the years...my brother and I have had so many "horror fests" together and unfortunately we never picked this one up.

Maybe because I am not a fan of Stephen King's movies (accept for Shawshank Redemption) and the trailer from this movie didn't entice me back then. I thought it was going to be cheese like the rest of his horror flicks.

But after reading all the love/hate reviews on IMDb...I decided to order it...I needed to see what everyone is talking about.

But man was I so dead wrong...I just watched it last night...(I even got the 2 disc -- that offers it in b/w)...

Watching it in b/w totally gives a different take to the movie -- the creatures don't look so fake.

I have to say I loved this movie. It's amazing how you really feel scared and feel for the characters without all that gore.

The acting (just superb/everyone was type casted perfectly), the unknown creatures that hold in the mist (not knowing what creature was coming out next), the parrelles w religion (which scenario? -- sacrificing the son or killing the religious bitch = having them being rescued in the end), how you feel for every character that is stuck in the grocery store (never a dull moment just being in a grocery store)...

THE MIST is truly unique and a great masterpiece from beginning to end!!!

I myself love the old classic horror films...not the new modern ones where it's all about the killings.

You don't need all that gore to be scared...maybe a little blood is fine but to me what defines a true horror....is being scared!!!

I totally rank this movie as a classic!!!

Especially the ending in this movie was truly amazing -- never seen anything like it!

I am glad they opted for this ending to be in theatres...

Realistically, I'm putting myself in their shoes in this movie -- I would of done the exact same thing!!!

I would of wanted to kill myself before any creature would of ripped me to shreds...so I can totally empathize with that ending.

Ok fine if only they had waited 5 more minutes -- they would of been rescued and that would be -- THE END to a hollywood

production that everyone rooted for I'm sure. But what made this film remarkable was that they made it true to life as humans...

The did what they needed to do in order to survive...they finally left the grocery store (they did all they could do) but seeing after what they had seen (the biggest creature that barely skims over them) they knew their lives were coming to an end and they had no choice.

I think everyone who hated the film (over on IMbd) need to put themselves in the character's shoes -- we all would of done the same thing.

I also might add...being a little bias here but honestly (if I wasn't a true fan of Thomas Jane)...I don't think anyone could pull off what TJ portrayed in this film...who else could you see in this role that captures heart felt emotions like he has?

It seems whatever character role he touches in all of his films -- he brings them all to life!

When I look back on his career there is not one movie out there where he hasn't put his all into his roles.

(Q to you Mr. Jane -- out of all your movies -- which movie would you say -- you wish you put more into the role?)

He is very underated and it's a shame because he is one hell of actor in my books.

Thank you for entertaining us over the years :)

p.s (I noticed in the beginning of the film) TJ is finishing off a painting of "jonah hex" and you also see a paiting of the movie "the thing"in the backgroud....just curious who's idea was that to put that into the film?

Growing up with a brother (whom I looked up to) that was such a crazy fanatic of sci fi/horror flicks

(such as "aliens", "blade runner" and "the thing")...truthfully, I am surprised I have never seen this.

Over the years...my brother and I have had so many "horror fests" together and unfortunately we never picked this one up.

Maybe because I am not a fan of Stephen King's movies (accept for Shawshank Redemption) and the trailer from this movie didn't entice me back then. I thought it was going to be cheese like the rest of his horror flicks.

But after reading all the love/hate reviews on IMDb...I decided to order it...I needed to see what everyone is talking about.

But man was I so dead wrong...I just watched it last night...(I even got the 2 disc -- that offers it in b/w)...

Watching it in b/w totally gives a different take to the movie -- the creatures don't look so fake.

I have to say I loved this movie. It's amazing how you really feel scared and feel for the characters without all that gore.

The acting (just superb/everyone was type casted perfectly), the unknown creatures that hold in the mist (not knowing what creature was coming out next), the parrelles w religion (which scenario? -- sacrificing the son or killing the religious bitch = having them being rescued in the end), how you feel for every character that is stuck in the grocery store (never a dull moment just being in a grocery store)...

THE MIST is truly unique and a great masterpiece from beginning to end!!!

I myself love the old classic horror films...not the new modern ones where it's all about the killings.

You don't need all that gore to be scared...maybe a little blood is fine but to me what defines a true horror....is being scared!!!

I totally rank this movie as a classic!!!

Especially the ending in this movie was truly amazing -- never seen anything like it!

I am glad they opted for this ending to be in theatres...

Realistically, I'm putting myself in their shoes in this movie -- I would of done the exact same thing!!!

I would of wanted to kill myself before any creature would of ripped me to shreds...so I can totally empathize with that ending.

Ok fine if only they had waited 5 more minutes -- they would of been rescued and that would be -- THE END to a hollywood

production that everyone rooted for I'm sure. But what made this film remarkable was that they made it true to life as humans...

The did what they needed to do in order to survive...they finally left the grocery store (they did all they could do) but seeing after what they had seen (the biggest creature that barely skims over them) they knew their lives were coming to an end and they had no choice.

I think everyone who hated the film (over on IMbd) need to put themselves in the character's shoes -- we all would of done the same thing.

I also might add...being a little bias here but honestly (if I wasn't a true fan of Thomas Jane)...I don't think anyone could pull off what TJ portrayed in this film...who else could you see in this role that captures heart felt emotions like he has?

It seems whatever character role he touches in all of his films -- he brings them all to life!

When I look back on his career there is not one movie out there where he hasn't put his all into his roles.

(Q to you Mr. Jane -- out of all your movies -- which movie would you say -- you wish you put more into the role?)

He is very underated and it's a shame because he is one hell of actor in my books.

Thank you for entertaining us over the years :)

p.s (I noticed in the beginning of the film) TJ is finishing off a painting of "jonah hex" and you also see a paiting of the movie "the thing"in the backgroud....just curious who's idea was that to put that into the film?

Sunnnnshine! Good stuff.

I think the painting is from The Gunslinger, one of them Stephen King Dark Tower deals. The Thing poster is also done by the same artist, very famous poster artist, Drew Struzan. But you're right, it is very Jonah Hex. Only helps to feed the longing for a good feature version of Hex.

Hey yanno, off the top of my head... Maybe Tom would be good as Jonah. With a Joe Lansdale screenplay. Someone tell the studio!

I love THE MIST, and I'm not easy to win over with these things. LOVED it in B&W, plays so, so very well. Big fan of the book... except for the ending. And the movie took care of that. Boom, good stuff.

Might have been before your time, Fro-ttage, but Tom was actually lobbying for the role of Hex before JB was cast.

Even did a little make-up test and shot some pics which found their way online.

In retrospect, I'm thinking it's good that Tom did not get the role. JH, unfortunately, is a bit of a stinking pile.

Yeah, as you allude, if they wanna do it right I say this combo works - Lansdale script, Walter Hill or maybe even a guy like Alan Parker direction, Jane would be great in the lead.

No Wild Wild West steam-punk bullshit, no wacky lame shit that never happened in the old west.

Wouldn't happen on their watch, which I suppose is why the studio never considered this combo.

JH should be gritty, it should be REAL. With undertones of the fantastical and hardcore bleak where it needs to be.

I've said it before in reference to The Punisher - Some comic properties are much better served as films BASED on a comic book, as opposed to being "comic book movies".

Based on a comic doesn't mean you have to lose ANYTHING central to the character and his/her world in the translation.

It's simply a stylistic choice; Popcorn movie aimed at 15 year olds, or something that could appeal to anyone from 15 to 60.

Studios (in general) seem too fixated on trying to reinvent the Western (when they even consider one) for the Matrix Reloaded generation.

No reason to reinvent the Western. Try a good story, good writing, that usually makes people happy to rent a seat regardless of genre.

One of the reasons why Hex failed and True Grit was legit.

NOW BACK TO - THE MIST!

- tb

Just watched The Mist in black and white thanks to the collector's edition. I kind of wish that I had seen it in b/w first, because there were times when I felt like I was watching a decolored version.

What I liked about b/w was how blinding the mist is, how high definition everything looks, and how reminiscent it feels of those old scary movies I saw as a kid.

I loved that movie he was so good in it and I love anything that has to do with a stephen king book. My friend didn't like it she said it gave her nightmares about big bugs. And it never fails when I watch it I always cry at the end of it. I know that sounds silly.

A nice Q&A with Tom and Frank Darabont talking about The Mist. I really need to rewatch it, it's been too long:

The Mist  Stephen Kingâ��s â��The Mistâ�� Fan Poster ...found on tumbler   Stephen King's The Mist | If you've seen this, I guess you still remember how it ends, don't you?      tuxpi.com.1488810888_2048x.jpg?v=1488810   Image result for the mist movie art   

I love how much cool fan art there is for this film. 

And of course The Gunslinger that David was working on.....

king.jpg?w=580

Still one of the best King adaptations, and one of the best roles for Tom. 

That ending.... every time.