Tim Bradstreet

Hot Off The Boards - Feedback

Heh, it IS James Caviezel from "Outlander" . . .

The illustration is like an alternate timeline, or a sequel-type idea.

I'll likely have to swap out his face or make him less recognizable for the book since I don't want to get into rights and ownership concerning the film.

Though I won't abandone the idea. Maybe I can get Howard McCain to write that one for me. That'd be cool as drool ;)

- TB

I like what I'm seeing Tim. The Hunting Pary and Hell Patrol have really grabed my attentino, and I can't wait to see what you have for Red Sky. NEED more Red Sky! Your book idea is insane (in a good way). Can't wait to see how it unfolds. You have quite the crew.

One of the big excuses to do a book like this is that I've just been chomping at the bit to do some hard core black and white illustration.

It's my favorite thing to do. Fuck color, for these types of drawings anyway . . .

I've sacrificed my 'complete' look over the years while doing cover art; leaving a lot open for color means that the actual illustration suffers, or to me at least does not feel complete.

All that's well and good. I love doing covers too and being forced to throw a change-up to compete in that arena.

But I've been so busy for the last 10 years doing open line cover work that I've gotten away from playing to my real strength and passion.

Now however, the beast has been loosed motherfuckers ;)

Stand by.

- TB

Now however, the beast has been loosed motherfuckers ;)

I think this means your best is yet to come. Your finest work is absolutely in Black and White and I mean that with no disrespect to your tremendous color art. I can't wait to see how your talent will be reflected in this next wave of creativity. Then again, I think we already have an excited idea through this opportune thread.

Mike

Here's a title off the top of the old noggin.

March Against Death

I don't know, there's my shot.

Sorry to be so late gettin' into the game, Tim, but I've been checkin' out your REH pics over on your Facebook and they are awesome! So I decided to come back in here and catch up. I am so blown away by these that it is unbelievable. My mind is reeling and my eyes are buggin' out after staring at these beauties. I've never read any of Robert Howard's work but this is enough to make me want to go out and get the books and see what I've been missing. I'll also be sure to be picking up this book as soon as it's released. Can't wait to see it all together.

Coupla questions, though: Who was the model for the pic Son of the White Wolf? And is that Tim Daly the actor who used to be on the show Wings? It's hard to tell from the pics if that's him or not. He's another fave of mine. Funny guy.

Jane is the model for the full page illustration for Son Of The White Wolf, is that what you were asking about, or the header?

Tim Daley is a good pal of mine, has modeled for me for a long time, He's S.W. Manor - from Hellblazer, Black Adam - from JSA, among a host of others.

I also use him as a body double from time to time. TD was the body of Frank Castle for the Punisher Max #50 cover (sitting on a cot in his lair).

No relation to the actor, unfortunately. I love Tim, brother of Tyne Daley, mucho mas. He'd be a great model. I think he's a very underrated actor.

Glad you are digging the book MF!!!!

xo - tb

Hope to update this soon.

Lots of cool stuff recently including a Judge Dredd cover!

Also some bitchtastic covers for IDW's Motel Hell - Supercruddy rate but I'm doing it to work with Bob Schreck.

I've known Schreck forever but this will be the first time we've worked together.

I hadda say forget the rate and just focus on doing my best work regardless of the $. Bonus for them methinks.

Finished issue #2 before I left for Anaheim last weekend and I have to say it may be one of my favorite covers I've ever done. So go figure.

I'll be posting the newest goodies as soon as I can.

Also be on the lookout for a badass commission I'm doing . . . The Black Widow, but much like the Colleen Wing piece I did recently, this ain't yer daddy's Natalia Romanova!

- tb

Shattered Empire is amazing! Well worth the wait.

Mike, what is up with Shattered Empire? Is this going to be a screenplay/comic? I think this would fit nice into the collected-story book Tim's been talking about.

Shattered Empire is amazing! Well worth the wait.

Mike, what is up with Shattered Empire? Is this going to be a screenplay/comic? I think this would fit nice into the collected-story book Tim's been talking about.

I'll definitely post more and respond shortly to Tim's post. All I can say is I am ecstatic about the entire project. Tim mentioned this as a potential addition to the story book. I would be absolutely honored if it does get included.

Mike

Guest AdminGuyX

Yeah, that's a kick ass illustration. Like Tim would deliver anything else. :)

Mike, this project sounds SO COOL, and so intriguing. I've been interested in Samurai history, and culture for a long time. Knowing that armor is authentic makes me geek right out. You have no idea.

Well, maybe you do. Did you drop a brick the first time you saw this in your friends office, or what?

Well, maybe you do. Did you drop a brick the first time you saw this in your friends office, or what?

I certainly did when he brought it in 6 years ago, but the "brick hitting the floor moment" was when he agreed to let me borrow it for a weekend. He did get a copy of all the photos from the shoot and will get B/W and Color gicle prints for helping out once they are available.

Here is a commission for a project called Shattered Empire.

SE is the brainchild of one Mr. Michael Hess, better known to our board family as simply, "Mike".

Mike commissioned this from me many months ago and I was only recently presented with a timely hole in my schedule large enough to accommodate it's finish.

I love big fat sentences

Mike did his homework. He knows me, knows that my schedule dictates, and is wonderfully patient

He's also prepared. Shattered Empire is a concept, a story that has been well thought out and meticulously researched.

So yeah, good stuff and good stuff inspires me.

Mike hired the services of one Mrs. Jane Park Smith, a gorgeous and generous soul whom Mike and I have met on our RAW travels.

Jane came in for a shoot at my studio and the rest was history.

Mike also went nuts with the props, but I'll let him explain the story more accurately than I could relate here in the feedback.

Now after the shoot we ended up doing a very rare thing. Mike actually sat here in my studio and observed while I composed this cover design.

It was pretty fucking cool for me too. Having the client right next to me to bounce shit off of was an extreme luxury.

And what's great about Mike is that he let me roll. He let me do my thing and didn't slow me up by peppering me with minutia.

I asked him simply to delve inside his story and this character and relate visual markers to me.

He'd toss out an idea and if it sparked with me I'd start building the reference and trying things out, moving elements around the composition with the figure of Jane anchoring.

It was kinda like jazz, we just riffed until we found it.

And Mike thought I'd just pulled him out of his domicile that night (and from a planned nap) just to fuck with him

WOW!!! What an honor it was to get to work with the BIG MAN himself.

It was absolutely thrilling to have an opportunity to have Tim add his visionary illustration talents to Shattered Empire. The idea of a commission with Tim had been brewing in my head for years, but seeing just how busy his schedule was made it hard for me to think about interrupting him from his day job. Recently Tim had a rare, although short, gap in his schedule so I struck as fast as I could.

About 3 years ago the absolutely beautiful and generous Jane Park Smith joined us at our booth at SDCC. I asked her if she would be willing to model for a photo shoot with Tim for a property I had been working on and she agreed. We kept in touch and when I called to tell her we were ready to do it she readily agreed… well except for the fact that she insisted I write a character synopsis first. I consider myself more of a creator than a writer, but I don’t think Jane could have given me a better compliment on my writing.

“"I just LOVE the character of Windsong... it speaks of the deepest strength in women that most never realize. It'll be neat to capture that glimmer in the photos :)"

The next step was to come up with a costume. As it turned out a guy at work had a 150 year old suit of armor in his office that was too small for most men to wear. He agreed, disagreed, and changed his mind several times over the weeks up to the time of the shoot to lend it to me.

The rest of the costume was pretty simple. I ordered some tabi boots and a nagamaki (Japanese pole arm, like a samurai sword with a two and a half foot handle) online. I borrowed a Daisho (Katana and Wakizashi) from another friend at work and bought some tight black clothing to wear under the armor. We were all set.

Jane drove down from Los Angeles to Tim’s place for the shoot. I dressed her up in the costume and Tim jumped right in and took over 150 photos. I was able to pose her in several shots and managed the lighting. The armor was pretty heavy and probably quite uncomfortable, but Jane was very professional and just kept going without a word of it. The Nagamaki was also incredibly sharp (I used it to chop down weeds in my yard quite efficiently) and I was quite worried Jane might cut herself with it. Tim really knows his work from beginning to end and we were able to complete the shoot and have her out of the armor and in one piece in less than an hour.

Tim called me to come over and help him make a decision on the photo. Tim knew pretty quickly which photo he wanted to use. It was a “one of a kind” shot. While I liked several of the photos, I wasn’t about to disagree with the master’s choice. My visit got somewhat extended as we went straight from photo to working on the composite.

It was unbelievable to watch Tim work on the composite and amazing for me to be a part of it. Exciting as it was, it was work, 12 hours of it. Tim is very precise about his efforts and is not easily satisfied. He was very open to my suggestions based on the character’s history and he just flowed with it. Even when he thought a portion was completed he would try other ideas just in case another was better. And in the end we can now all see the mind-blowing quality of his work.

Tim had mentioned he was initially disappointed that I worked on the composite with him since I was going to miss the initial shock reaction of seeing a commissioned piece for the first time. I like the way we did it much better. As we went on, Tim said he was going to have a hard time giving the piece up, considering how good it was looking. Near the end he talked about his story book concept and he asked if I would consider letting him use the Windsong piece. I don’t remember all of the positive responses I used to just say “yes” after I recovered from being stunned by the question.

This was an incomparable life experience for me. My professional life is focused on my critical/analytical thinking and management skills. It was such a step away from my norm to take a personal creative concept and work with top industry professionals from beginning to end and see it come to life.

I certainly intend to continue working on Shattered Empire regardless of any external success just so I can nurture my creative side. I’ll start another thread and post some links to a concept site. I would greatly appreciate any feedback from the RAW members.

Tim, you have my eternal gratitude and friendship.

Mike

Congratulations Mike! This is definitely a great accomplishment! Can't wait to see it!

Mike, that story is great. Like you said, and I think it's the right way to go, don't think about the story's sucess outside of your circle of friends. Creat that world for youself and let others gravitate to it. From what I've seen, I'm sure it will get noticed, and that's the icing on the cake ;)

Mike, that story is great. Like you said, and I think it's the right way to go, don't think about the story's sucess outside of your circle of friends. Create that world for youself and let others gravitate to it. From what I've seen, I'm sure it will get noticed, and that's the icing on the cake ;)

Thanks JWeber!

I'm going to follow that path and just see how it all works out. I created an alternate thread to share what I have done so far.

Mike

Here's a new one which was recently leaked on the internet so I figure it's safe to post at last.

Rebellion, my client, has asked that I offer no details yet concerning this image.

Anyway, dream come true to get to draw Judge Dredd and get paid for it to boot!

As a Dredd fan, I'm curious if it relates to... nah...

I'll just respect your non-disclosure agreement with Rebellion.

Judge Dredd cover!

Holy freakin' hell! I was about 10 or 11 when I got my free "Space Spinner" and didn't think comics could get any better until the following week when Judge Dredd premiered. I had every issue of 2000AD until I moved to the US in 1991, and I still have a bunch of Annuals and Megazines in my library.

Seeing this is a furking dream come true.............

So, this is the Mad Max/Punisher project you were teasing us about on Facebook. This cover is fun as hell, I wish it was a one-sheet for a film. Deffinatly makes it into my top ten favorite Bradstreet Punisher covers.

After seeing the skull on the biker jacket and the tilted car, I think I'm going to watch Dark Country now.

Yep, this's the one.

I just finished what began as a temporary color version but I'm so damn happy with it I may just keep it as the actual color version ;)

Family emergency had me out of town for nearly a week so I got behind on this cover. Needed Grant to do an ace color job on it mucho pronto but NATURALLY the timing stunk as he had plans to leave town. When real life fucks up yer schedule there ain't a helluva lot you can do about it except to roll with it and work with what ya got.

I started the color thinking, "Just slap some color on this thing, anything, just gotta get it done fast to make the catalogue . . . "

But somewhere along the line I got real invested in it. I went for broke. Can't wait to post it but must wait on this one.

All this talk of color . . . sure it's fun when you have the time . . .

But the hell with that, I was hitting on all cylinders with the pen and ink original.

Wish I could do 5 or 10 more covers in the same vein, like NOW.

Had a lot of fun with this one. Gotta keep the ball rolling!

It's times like this that I really miss working on a larger body of work like El Borak.

Anyway, next up is a cover for Royal Flush Magazine's - Hispanic Batman ;)

Should be a scream.

Awesome. It does look like a wicked Punisher film. I LOVE the B&W, myself.

The Punisher and Bullseye covers are pretty nice. When are we going to be able to see your Iron Man work?