Tim Bradstreet

Hot Off The Boards - Feedback

Boy am I late for this party.

I JUST noticed you posted the B&W.

Now my reaction: KICKASS!!!

Is Marvel going for the color or the B&W? I'm feeling the B&W as a fine end to your Punisher saga. Its more nostalgic than the color version, but the color version is still very Eastwoodish.

-TL

You're honestly making CELLBLOCK 666 the perfect way for Jane to go out of Cal.

The covers are really intense in this arc and that last one reminds me of a half concious Martin Sheen laying in the jungle with Frederic Forrest's head being thrown on his lap.

I don't wanna assume #4 will not feature Jane, but if indeed this is the final piece - Its right on the money Streetman.

I feel the same way about Keaton in Batman Returns as I feel about Jane leaving Cal. I keep remembering that shot of him from above watching The Penguin flying away and Danny Elfman's score just creeps behind my neck. I love what I see and I also know [unfortunately] its the end of it.

If only Jane's Cal had a theme by Danny Elfman.

If only Cal was still Jane's.

I'm lookin forward to the full on "Apocalypse Now" colored version of #3.

-TL

Heh, never completely count Jane out of Cal. He's still in the running, it's just not a SURE THING necessarily.

Also, good news. I have hopefully convinced Steve that we need at least one more arc with Jane.

The simple truth is that we have too many good shots to abandon them.

It'll give us more time to find a replacement too.

Glad you dug it. Wait'll you see it in color.

And - Just so you know . . . I came up with an awesome concept for part IV, sans Cal or Mo.

You had me smoked from the first you mentioned it.

Wonder what will happen with the next arc?

- TB

Boy am I late for this party.

I JUST noticed you posted the B&W.

Now my reaction: KICKASS!!!

Is Marvel going for the color or the B&W? I'm feeling the B&W as a fine end to your Punisher saga. Its more nostalgic than the color version, but the color version is still very Eastwoodish.

-TL

Sorry, missed this question -

I DID in fact suggest to editorial that it would be HUGELY cool to do a black and white Alternate, or Variant cover.

Never heard a peep back.

In a perfect world it would be a splendid pat on the back to do it as a surprise.

Never happen though ;)

- TB

I was looking at the full color cover to Criminal Macabre: Cellblock 666 Part 3, and am sort of surprised no one has offered any feedback yet. So I'll throw my lily-livered two cents in. If the idea was to gross me out, you definitely succeeded. As much as I like TJ, the dead bodies (I'm assuming they're dead) in various stages of decay all around him, totally creeps me out. That's just me.

I'm guessing that was the idea, though.

Street my man, you have now set a pattern only a smart and noble few will decipher.

To discern the pattern behind these covers is to truly see the covers themselves.

Obviously people responded well to your take on Castle, but for some reason Cal hasn't started a fire.

I think he's becoming your cult character. The one only the lurking fans will seek out.

Every comic shop carries at least a hundred copies of Punisher Max, but only 1 or 2 of Criminal Macabre.

*I truly hope your editor allows you to do a brand new Jane shot for the TPB, I'm still down about what they did with My Demon Baby's.

-TL

I was looking at the full color cover to Criminal Macabre: Cellblock 666 Part 3, and am sort of surprised no one has offered any feedback yet. So I'll throw my lily-livered two cents in. If the idea was to gross me out, you definitely succeeded. As much as I like TJ, the dead bodies (I'm assuming they're dead) in various stages of decay all around him, totally creeps me out. That's just me.

I'm guessing that was the idea, though.

Gotta agree- Criminal Macabre: Cellblock 666 Part 3...creepy as hell.

Great job! I think this is my favorite Cal/Jane cover.

Lin

Here it is, hot off the boards, my first post-Max Punisher cover.

As mentioned above, this one is for the French comics magazine, Comicbox.

The issue hits stands across Europe in December.

I'm not finished with Frank Castle by a damn site ;)

PunComicBoxF1.jpg

The new cover is also available as an artist proof. Contact me if you have any interest.

- TB

Pretty fucking badass. Is it me or is there a skull in background?

It's good to see the real Frank back. :D

justaguy posted this in the Hot Of The Boards thread which I neglected to close when I finished posting.

My fault.

Thanks justaguy!

Mike - No skull that I specifically put there, but if you look at things long enough you can see just about anything ;)

- TB

I want Tim back! I keep walking by Punisher MAX not realising it's the book. I'm so use to the kick ass covers. The new ones are, simply put, lack-luster (though #62 I liked the idea of the image)

As it was fitting for Garth on his start with Punisher on the MK title, it's very fitting here as well: Welcome back, Frank.

Bradstreet, I am in awe. You've summed up The Punisher in one single solitary frame. You said it a hundred different ways while you worked on the series but this one puts the exclamation point on it. My allegiance to the former team of you and Ennis is strong but as a fan of the character I was more than willing to keep on with the title. But I have found it extremely wanting in almost every aspect. It's like a shadow of what it used to be. I want to like it but it feels hollow. I have nothing against the new creative teams, but it's just lacking something, it's lacking you and Ennis! I am now going back to re-read the entire max run, only this time I'm savoring it as the very special thing that it is. Your covers are a MAJOR part of that.

I'm not one who is accustomed to blushing, but you do me high honor Sir.

Thank you prodigiously for the kind sentiment.

- TB

Tim, that last Punisher cover, as all of yours before, is genius. You continue to amaze and astound with your work. Great job with Mr. Castle. No one does the man like you. ;)

much digging going on in the collins household...love zipperface!

"Mud-flap" chickies, that's a fucking scream.

Thanks for the kind comments folks. I'll post the color very soon.

Sorry Web - I feel the same way. I hate coloring the high contrast pieces, like the Scalped stuff.

Luckily Dark Horse lets me play in black and white on Criminal Macabre at times.

I think black and white can be just as effective as color if not more so on a cover. It's like POW, a shot to the face when it's done for effect.

Coloring the hard contrasts is like painting a gorgeous hardwood floor, pretty much a sin.

But I think you'll dig what I did with color too. I've been experimenting with how to compliment this type of technique without crushing the effect.

We'll see if you agree. I'll get it right eventually ;)

- TB

I dig the colors that you use in an image, but like you said, the black and white just has more pop too it. I'd imagine that doing covers for Marvel or DC is like making a film in Hollywood in such that most people do not want black and white because "it won't sell", which is really too bad.

Can't wait to see the colored version :)

You should try and see if you could do all of The Punisher: Noir covers in black and white, it would be dumb of them not to have it done that way.

I agree most earnestly.

I'll push it to my editor but I'm fairly certain I know what the answer will be.

I'm hoping that at the very least I can be left to do them graphically, in black, white and a color, or just get to do them all in sepias.

We'll see.

- TB

What could be more noir than having the covers in black and white. Sepia would be an interesting thing to do, giving it that old photograph look.

That would work, or maybe you could try B&W with maybe a spattering of red? Anything would be cool, but it would be nice to see Marvel move out of their comfort zone every onece and a while.

Also, as a side note, I thought is was kind of ironic, but we will see another Punisher in the noir time frame soon. I hear Tom O'Brien is in Public Enimies.