Tim Bradstreet

Hot Off The Boards - Feedback

Guest AdminGuyX

COOL. Love the textures. I especially like the contourlines on his face. But I love drawing buckles and straps and armor, and pieces like this always offer inspiration for me. Thank you for sharing it Tim.

And lets hear it for my favorite blade2 character!

Guest FADoss

Tim,

I can't think of anything that says BAMF like having your own personal piece of Tim Bradstreet artwork. Someday...I too will be the man!

Great piece and Ron will be VERY pleased!!!

Frederic

Nice one!

I had the good fortune to go out for a drink with the Perl-Meister when he was over here filming "Mutant Chronicles" and even then he was moaning about how he'd been waiting ages for some portrait you'd promised him!

:)

Glad he's finally been put out of his misery, Tim! Great piece... he won't be disappointed.

Change of subject: I hear you've been invited out to a Con in Valenciennes, Northern France, right?

Well, if it helps to sway your decision into the affirmative, I'll be there!

Come on over, it'll be great to see you!

Once I saw the full screen look of it, I actually felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Officially impressed... :D

Another awesome piece Tim. I am a huge fan of Perlman (I want to get him to sign my City of Lost Children DVD if I see him at a con again). Grant's fast colors are on par or better than most colorists final work. Amazing.

Saw your latest; all I can say is dayummmmmmmmm

Tim, I love the last couple of pieces that you posted. That "Criminal Macabre" piece is WICKED AWESOME!! I can't wait to get my hands on that.

Mediumfan

Punisher Max 58

Like a death angel in the ruins?? Nice image. Is the background based on a photo or combination of photo images as well?

CM Cellblock 666 1 of 4

Considering how banged up Cal looks, I think his jacket needs a tear or cigarette burns or something like that to scruff it up. Correct me if such is in the pic and I'm just not seeing it.

JMHO, though.

LOVE the reinhardt piece! awesome energy that you've captured there.

also LOVE the punisher cover, one of my faves ever, i think. definitely digginit ;)

CM Cellblock 666 1 of 4

Considering how banged up Cal looks, I think his jacket needs a tear or cigarette burns or something like that to scruff it up. Correct me if such is in the pic and I'm just not seeing it.

JMHO, though.

I see what you're getting at Kwiat and it does make a lot of sense.

But I would offer this in response if say, an editor had the same type of comment.

Firstly, Cal is ALWAYS banged up ;)

I'd be hard pressed to find a story where he doesn't get the shit kicked out of him.

He's very much in a perpetual state of "chewed up and spat out".

However, sometimes the guy has to get cleaned up, shower, shave, throw on some clean duds.

His face may still look like he stuck his head into a grain auger but he has to get a freshly laundered kit every once in a while.

Think of this as "Cal fresh" ;)

My rationalization.

- TB

Punisher Max 58

Like a death angel in the ruins?? Nice image. Is the background based on a photo or combination of photo images as well?

The background is composed from a shot of an Angel statue I had photographed in Italy.

I did a silhouetted outline and blacked it. Then I threw together the wires leading to explosives at the base, also in silhouette.

The trees are again, silhouettes of shots I've taken, drawn and blacked. They serve as a nice framing device.

The sky is composed of watercolor textures hand painted on watercolor board, then filtered over my background.

Clouds and sun spot were painted in digitally, then filtered over top in Photoshop.

The figure was drawn separately and laid over the top, then colored.

- TB

I see what you're getting at Kwiat and it does make a lot of sense.

But I would offer this in response if say, an editor had the same type of comment.

Firstly, Cal is ALWAYS banged up ;)

I'd be hard pressed to find a story where he doesn't get the shit kicked out of him.

He's very much in a perpetual state of "chewed up and spat out".

However, sometimes the guy has to get cleaned up, shower, shave, throw on some clean duds.

His face may still look like he stuck his head into a grain auger but he has to get a freshly laundered kit every once in a while.

Think of this as "Cal fresh" ;)

My rationalization.

- TB

I'll give you that.

The background is composed from a shot of an Angel statue I had photographed in Italy.

I did a silhouetted outline and blacked it. Then I threw together the wires leading to explosives at the base, also in silhouette.

The trees are again, silhouettes of shots I've taken, drawn and blacked. They serve as a nice framing device.

The sky is composed of watercolor textures hand painted on watercolor board, then filtered over my background.

Clouds and sun spot were painted in digitally, then filtered over top in Photoshop.

The figure was drawn separately and laid over the top, then colored.

- TB

The angel statue reminded me of the kind you sometimes see in old cemeteries. I guess that's why I think of it as a death angel. It's a good background for the light on Frank's head and shoulders. One could get a lot of symbolism out of that if they wanted to.

Love the sky - sort of creepy, yet beautiful at the same time. Also like how the tone lightens as the eye moves down, to accentuate the handguns.

Only problem (dang, there's always a catch) is what you call wires leading to explosives looks like rebar to me because of the scale, I guess. Hence, my comment about ruins. That's probably just me. We see what we expect to see. and I think it works either way.

P.S. - Looking at the cover more, I do see the wires attached to terminals, yet that was not my first impression. I'm so used to picking up cues from context and scale, that when I look at something that seems so real, the differences in scale throw my poor, old brain off kilter. I'm probably the only person on earth for whom it still looks like rebar and concrete blocks after an explosion, rather than wires and explosives before an explosion. But it's not supposed to be real. It's art.

All this to say, just ignore me.

P.S.S. - People who don't see immediately what is so obvious to you must drive you insane.

#59 looks great.

Tim, are you gonna have complete freedom on the last issue?

Loving the SCALPED covers. I'll have to pick up the back issues, the reviews for it sound good. It's always nice to find a new book. I've always loved your tough guys on the covers, but there is just something about girls that can kick ass.

Hey Robot Tim, is that Graham Greene on issue 18 of SCALPED?

-TL

Si Sinor.

The main character this issue is a guy named Officer Franklin Falls Down, a Native American cop on the same beat as Dash (the main character).

The character of "Falls Down" in the book is modeled after Graham Greene. I Fucking LOVE Graham Greene, I lobbied HEAVILY to get him a part in Dark Country as the Sheriff but the studio needed someone with a DVD cover presence and that left Greene out ;(

Anyway, loving Greene as I do and considering the character is based on him (see early issues) I went for broke. My version is from no existing shot though. I patched together bits from here and there and Frankensteined it, then added the glasses and reflection.

Possibly I'll (me or DC) get nailed for the likeness. Probably end up in the hallowed swipe (all though there is no such photo to swipe from) files over at "Lying In The Gutters", Rich Johnson's column over at CBR. But I won't take it personally because the likeness was completely intended. I just hope it doesn't attract any red flags that force me to make a change. It's been turned in for a while but so far I've heard nothing. I hope it runs as is.

It's a total nod to Greene, and I would hope that no one gets their tit in a ringer over it.

Mike V -

Not sure about the level of freedom yet. The deadline is looming though so I'll know soon enough.

- TB

Compadre, its clear to me that you should get your hands on a Western book.

I can already picture you making the Apache look as fierce as the gunfighters - which is not very common in film.

The last time I saw Greene was in a movie called Lost and Delirious where he played a gardener at an all girls school.

I will always remember him as the comedic Indian from Dances with Wolves and Maverick and as a fantastic NYC cop in Die Hard with a Vengeance.

What's going on with Jane and the whole Josey Wales follow up anyway?

I personally think he oughtta just do a new western character. After 3:10 to Yuma (which I hated), there's definetely a market for westerns again.

-TL

I personally think he oughtta just do a new western character. After 3:10 to Yuma (which I hated), there's definetely a market for westerns again.

-TL

I totally agree.

As for Bradstreet's post about Graham Greene, "I lobbied HEAVILY to get him a part in Dark Country as the Sheriff but the studio needed someone with a DVD cover presence and that left Greene out ;("

I am dismayed by that. I like Perlman okay, but he is no more recognizable to me than Greene. Maybe that's just me. I'm obviously not a studio exec.

As for the actual subject of this thread, I like tha shadows over the skull on Frank's chest. Nice.