Sign in to follow this  
Arsh

WATCHMEN

So with negative reactions to "The Spirit", "Wolverine" and "The Watchmen" and even "Spiderman 3" what is the future of the comic book movie? Or will films like all the the "Avengers" flicks forthcoming save us? I guess we've had our fair share of crap recently with "Ghost Rider" and "Daredevil".

Just curious if anyone else is worried?

Just read on yahoo that Wolverine has so far grossed 87 million. Probably safe to say it will eclipse the 100 mill mark on it's opening weekend. As long as the comic to movie film makes cash, they'll keep making them. I think the Watchmen and Wolverine illustrate a couple of points. Comic book geeks are not the prime target for comic to movie films...nor should they be.

I know very little about Wolverine other than he is an X-man, a mutant and he has wicked claws that he uses to kill people on a regular basis. I know absolutely nothing about the rest of the mutant cast in ORIGINS...and I love comics!...just not superhero comics. So this movie was made more for me than for you. Based on the reviews I think the majority of the comic geeks are not happy...which means I might be...I'm still going to go and see it...if that makes any sense at all?

So with negative reactions to "The Spirit", "Wolverine" and "The Watchmen" and even "Spiderman 3" what is the future of the comic book movie? Or will films like all the the "Avengers" flicks forthcoming save us? I guess we've had our fair share of crap recently with "Ghost Rider" and "Daredevil".

Just curious if anyone else is worried?

I don't know if the negative reactions to projects like The Spirit, and Punisher Warzone, are in quite the same category of disappointing as stuff like Wolverine, Watchmen, or S3, or even Ghost Rider and Daredevil.

I know you didn't mention Warzone but I think it's relevant.

Spirit and Warzone were expensive box office duds, studio killers. LGF is reeling since they are both films that LGF developed from within.

Watchmen only just topped it's budget of (reportedly) 100 million, but it will make it's real bank on DVD.

According to IMDB it's hitting 8+ stars which is based off fan reviews, so if that is ANY indication it seems like most people that saw it, liked it.

For my money, I think a lot of people say they liked it because they thought they should. In other words I wonder how many completely honest reviews I've seen out there. I'd give it 6.5 stars out of 10. But my measuring stick is not the norm ;) Time will serve to fairly rank this work. Let's look back in a couple of years and see if it stands up or . . . .

Spiderman 3 was expensive as hell but it made it's money back and then some. Not supported by the fans so much as the first two but it still found significant financial success.

Wolverine - I'd classify with Spiderman 3 - It may not grab great reviews but the character is so popular (from it's comics base and also from 3 preceding films from the X-chise) that it's going to make as shitload of dough, especially if opening weekend box is any indication.

Ghost Rider was a disaster any way you look at it. Financially and critically. Lump that in with Spirit and Warzone.

Daredevil also performed underwhelmingly. Thankfully it wasn't nearly as expensive as the previous 4 listed. A failure but not a disaster.

I think success really depends on a good solid concept and a great script. It doesn't matter how many box office idols you throw into the mix.

It doesn't matter if they get Sir Anthony Hopkins to play Doctor Doom if the script and concept are lame.

People/fans, WE, are susceptible to the idea of our favorite characters hitting the big screen, especially with our favorite stars in tow for the ride. But you serve us up a helping of shit and the public will respond in kind by spreading the word that THIS SUCKS. Comic book adaptations are no longer just a wave. I really do believe the concept is here to stay for the longhaul, but like anything else - To be successful you can't just throw a pile of steaming shit infested with Hollywood stars up against the wall and hope it sticks. You have to deliver on the promise. The public speaks loud and clear on that note. Just study the productions and the results, it's all there in black and white.

- TB

Apparently Wolverine made $87 million already, which more than X2, so the X films will go on, for a while at least.

Another thought to consider too -

Not necessarily referring to Wolverine here . . .

Opening weekend box office is the new measuring stick in Hollywood.

Used to be that even if a film didn't open well, studios would keep it in theaters for a few weeks or longer in many cases to try to get what they could out of it. Sometimes, a film overlooked in it's opening weekend would have a chance to catch on and make some good $ because of word of mouth.

DVD changed all of that.

Now studios are all about opening weekend. If the movie doesn't perform then they yank it outta public showing as quickly as possible so as not to damage their DVD sales. This way they hold onto some of that crowd who wanted to see it at the BO but didn't have the opportunity, AND they keep anticipation high to a certain extent. When it hits on DVD people will just buy it outright because you can own the fucker for the price of a couple tickets.

It's become good business.

But it's also removed that chance for something to catch on and recover from a mediocre opening.

Also, BECAUSE opening weekend is so important now, these big popular films like Wolverine that are going to suck in the dough opening weekend REGARDLESS of wether they are good products or not, end up LOOKING like champs because of the turnout. Give it a couple weeks and let's see how Wolverine is performing. If it really drops off then you have a more realistic view of how the film delivered.

- tb

Very well said Tim.

I'm pretty sure Wolverine's numbers are gonna drop at least 30-50% next week. Kinda sucks. It is what it is though.

Another thought to consider too -

Not necessarily referring to Wolverine here . . .

Opening weekend box office is the new measuring stick in Hollywood.

Used to be that even if a film didn't open well, studios would keep it in theaters for a few weeks or longer in many cases to try to get what they could out of it. Sometimes, a film overlooked in it's opening weekend would have a chance to catch on and make some good $ because of word of mouth.

DVD changed all of that.

Now studios are all about opening weekend. If the movie doesn't perform then they yank it outta public showing as quickly as possible so as not to damage their DVD sales. This way they hold onto some of that crowd who wanted to see it at the BO but didn't have the opportunity, AND they keep anticipation high to a certain extent. When it hits on DVD people will just buy it outright because you can own the fucker for the price of a couple tickets.

It's become good business.

But it's also removed that chance for something to catch on and recover from a mediocre opening.

Also, BECAUSE opening weekend is so important now, these big popular films like Wolverine that are going to suck in the dough opening weekend REGARDLESS of wether they are good products or not, end up LOOKING like champs because of the turnout. Give it a couple weeks and let's see how Wolverine is performing. If it really drops off then you have a more realistic view of how the film delivered.

- tb

I think Wolverine will have a huge drop off next weekend. I estimate it will make around 30 million next weekend, if it makes that much, which it might not, because of bad word of mouth, and you got Fucking Star Trek coming out for geeks of all ages ( No offense to anyone), and that movie will probably make more than Wolverine did it`s first week, or close to it. Than Terminator comes out, and that will finish off both Star Trek and Wolverine for good (In theaters). I`m still confused as to why three big blockbuster franchises are coming out in the same month.

The reason that War zone, and the spirit (shitty movies that they are) made so little is because it seems like the studios wanted them to fail. I never saw one tv spot for either of them back when they were coming out. I`ve seen worse movies make a shit load more than they did. I`m especially pissed about Punisher. If they didn`t give a shit about the character, why rush to make a shitty movie instead of letting the rights revert back to Marvel. It just cost them money, and apparently dvd sales are horrible as well.

Now, see I saw plenty of TV spots for The Spirit and Punisher: War Zone so for me that's an issue I don't really get with the complaints about it's lack of advertising.

I think they failed because 1. They were released in December, which I said was a horrible idea when it was announced it was going to be released then. and 2. Because they were shitty horribly written and directed movies.

Now, see I saw plenty of TV spots for The Spirit and Punisher: War Zone so for me that's an issue I don't really get with the complaints about it's lack of advertising.

I think they failed because 1. They were released in December, which I said was a horrible idea when it was announced it was going to be released then. and 2. Because they were shitty horribly written and directed movies.

What I`m saying is that I`ve shittier movies, or at least equal in it`s shit :P , make a lot more. But yeah, December is a pretty fucking bad time to release an R rated movie, though that Avp garbage did pretty well for itself. They should have waited until March or so to release the movie. Either way, it still sucks, and we won`t be seeing another Punisher movie for quite some time. I wish they would make make a series for hbo or showtime already though. It could be like Dexter, but with more violence and ass kicking of course.