WATCHMEN

Arsh

I have to confess I've never read the book (I know. Sacrilege), so I had no preconceptions to be shattered or met. I assume that puts me in the majority of the movie going public that will see it, although my involvement in and understanding of the genre still separates me from them. That said, I liked it. Didn't love it,but I liked it. It's a bit dated conceptually, as to be expected since "the broken or dark superhero" has become a cliche at this point. The audience was attentive for the first third of the flick but as it went on I heard more and more talking and snickering. There were a lot of pre teens at my showing, too, proving that either parents didn't read the warnings or simply still think "superhero" means "Adam West BATMAN" I'm curious to hear general reaction to what was onscreen as I'm sure most people weren't expecting a lot of what they saw.

Visually the movie is awesome! The sets all look totally authentic and real and the costumes look anything but ridiculous. Nite Owl's in particular looks terrific, and I loved that out of costume he looked like a guy who was obviously once in great "superhero" shape but has let himself go in retirement. He was perfect, and his chemistry with Silk Spectre was totally believable. I loved the alley fight as it's the first time they make it really obvious that Owl is not the douche he seems prior. Jackie Earl Halley was incredible as Rorscach, as was Jeffery Dean Morgan as The Comedian, though my appreciation of the performances is not tied to the comic versions.

As I said, it's dated plot wise, and the alternate universe and Doomsday Clock scenario seemed to confound a lot of the audience, especially the twenty somethings and under who have no understanding or interest in anything that happened beyond yesterday,. I actually heard a girl behind me ask her boyfriend if Nixon was a real president or made up for the movie. :blink:

As a non fan of the series I liked it, since it was something different. I'm not sure the general public will be seeing it repeatedly in droves, though. I think it'll have a decent but ultimately shorter than expected stay in theaters.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After seeing, I think Snyder did a great job with it, I can't wait to see the director's cut of it. My one issue with it was the fight at the end with Veidt, it was too stylized and made him come off as super human.

• 1 month later...
Guest AdminGuyX

FINALLY got out to the theater today to see this. It bored me to tears. BORED. ME. TO. TEARS. I'd rather watch Punisher Warzone again than this overproduced music video pile of garbage. Zak Snyder is just too self indulgent a filmmaker, and I think watchmen drove home for me that I just don't like his work.

This was just 3 hours I'll never get back. I can't blame Snyder for the uppity story, but I can certainly blame him for the films pacing, plodding and sleepy performances, the idiotic use of slow motion and the fact that he took what should have been a naughty, kinky sex scene and made it utterly boring.

You never care for any character in the film, with the mild exception of Rorschach. If not for Jackie Earle Haley running circles around everyone else in this film, it would have been a total wash. And from behind a mask to boot. But at the end of the day even he could not save this film for me. They just kept talking. And talking. And talking. The plot was not hard to follow, it was not hard to digest. At all. Yet, they felt the need to explain EVERYTHING into the ground.

I've never read the comic either, and THANK GOD. No fan of Alan Moore and if he was this heavy handed about the story, no thanks anyway.

Bring on Give 'em Hell Malone.

I need to see an old school hard nosed detective film to wash out all the slick sugary nonsense.

I've never read the comic either, and THANK GOD. No fan of Alan Moore and if he was this heavy handed about the story, no thanks anyway.

I had a lot of faith in your review until I saw this. :(

I haven't caught it yet, but may this weekend if it's still out. I love Snyder and Moore.

I thought it was pretty decent. Not as good as all the hype would have you believe. It was very boring in parts, and while I liked most of the music in the movie, I thought it was lamely placed throughout the movie. I thought everyone did a good job in their roles, except for the silk spectre 2 or whatever her name is. She was pretty bad. I loved Rorshach, and his line in the cafeteria was funny as hell. I'm looking forward to Haley as Freddy Krueger.

Guest AdminGuyX
I had a lot of faith in your review until I saw this. :(

I haven't caught it yet, but may this weekend if it's still out. I love Snyder and Moore.

Are you saying my opinion isn't valid because I never read the comic book?

:P

Are you saying my opinion isn't valid because I never read the comic book?

:P

No. I'm saying that since I enjoy Moore and loved his comic and you don't dig his stuff that we will probably disagree on the film as well.

You know I love you baby.

Fred

Guest AdminGuyX

I think that's the black freighter sequence you're thinking of. That's on DVD now, but my understanding is that the animated sequence is going to be cut into the feature film for the directors cut version DVD later on.

Watchmen has aspects of it that are very much a detective novel. A hard nosed character trying to solve a puzzle. To my understanding, the graphic novel has a lot more of this. I would have enjoyed the film if it was about that.

The film only comes to life, mildly so, when it's about solving the puzzle. The rest of it is just feels like self indulgent, heavy handed stuff that over explains things that ultimately don't matter in the end anyway. Literally, solving the puzzle doesn't matter. The journey you just went on didn't matter at all. And where in the HELL did the blue tiger with the big ears come from? WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT? The ears? :)

Honestly, Dr. Manhattan could have been written out of the film and the story still could have worked as it did. His segments felt like an entirely different film, and his dialogue was just incredibly pretentious.

I respect that Snyder stayed true to the comic. I mean, we all say that's what we want. It is what I want. But more than that, I don't want to be bored. I don't want to look at my watch during watchmen.

I think that's the black freighter sequence you're thinking of. That's on DVD now, but my understanding is that the animated sequence is going to be cut into the feature film for the directors cut version DVD later on.

Watchmen has aspects of it that are very much a detective novel. A hard nosed character trying to solve a puzzle. To my understanding, the graphic novel has a lot more of this. I would have enjoyed the film if it was about that.

The film only comes to life, mildly so, when it's about solving the puzzle. The rest of it is just feels like self indulgent, heavy handed stuff that over explains things that ultimately don't matter in the end anyway. Literally, solving the puzzle doesn't matter. The journey you just went on didn't matter at all. And where in the HELL did the blue tiger with the big ears come from? WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT? The ears? :)

Honestly, Dr. Manhattan could have been written out of the film and the story still could have worked as it did. His segments felt like an entirely different film, and his dialogue was just incredibly pretentious.

I respect that Snyder stayed true to the comic. I mean, we all say that's what we want. It is what I want. But more than that, I don't want to be bored. I don't want to look at my watch during watchmen.

Yeah they made "V" much more "exciting" than the comic, tanked the story and gave us pretty much a shit film.

Guest AdminGuyX

I didn't much care for V either. It was pretty boring too. Watchmen had everything it needed to be compelling and interesting, the movie was just too long, and too dry.

I thought the V comic was just to wordy and unreadable...which is why I never finished it and it is now tucked away in a box somewhere in the black hole that is my basement. I actually liked the movie, mildly better...well, at least I made it to the end of it... watch certain scenes every now then when it is on cable. I didn't like Watchmen enough to buy the dvd when it comes out, I'll just watch certain scenes every now and then when it hits cable.

watchmen wasn't too long. the action sequences were just to short :)

PS: The final fight is really cool done. Looked like it could be from a beat them up game.

the perspective from above there the bad ozy fought against two his former friends^^

I didn't get one thing. rorschach is a pretty good fighter, nightowl is also a good one. But even together with silke (together 3) they had a problem to keep with ozy's temp. Then how could the comedian beeing 60 or older (wasn't he 67)? fight alone 2 or 3 minutes against ozy?!

Is he a hardcore overkill professional or what?

And why is ozy so powerfull?

Hey . . . I liked V . . . ;)

Or I should say, I really enjoyed Hugo Weaving's performance, and that of Portman too.

I couldn't remember too much of the comic when I saw the film and actually enjoyed it.

Oh well, there's that pesky subjectivity come to rear it's ugly head once again ;)

Watchmen.

I'm not sure what to think.

I only know that I was underwhelmed.

I can't even put my finger on why exactly.

Maybe it's because I didn't really care for any of the characters with the exception of Rorschach.

I wanted to care about Manhattan and the non-human entity he was forced to become, but he didn't really care so I didn't either ;) He just became more and more alien to humanity. But that happens when you evolve into something . . . different.

Regardless.

I did love seeing Archie fly around and loved some of the sets, but the only thing I really found compelling was Jackie Earle Haley's performance, which was exquisite. I just found myself walking out of the theater thinking, OK, what am I going to watch when I get home . . . Knowing that it had to be something more than what I had just experienced.

It had all the FX, all the gorgeous eye-popping sets, pretty good actors/actresses, big sound, all the things that make going to the theater a special experience . . . It just didn't hook me. I wasn't invested. I felt like I should have liked it more than I did. But I don't feel even slightly guilty about that.

Maybe it will grow on me. Sometimes they do.

- TB

I have similar feelings about the film, Tim. I thought Rorschach was the highlight of the movie (besides the visuals and the interesting alternative '85 setting) and he stole every scene that he was in. But the plot was not that great and the antagonist was rather weak. It's still a good film I think but far away from a masterpiece...

A Rorschach centered Noir Detective movie would have been cool :P

I've read the book and liked it. I also liked the film, but it was not as great as I was hoping for. The film suffered from the fact that they tried to stay as extreamly true to the book as they did. It deffinatly is a better read than a three hour film.

Also, I didn't care for the overly slick look of the film. Not a fan of the slow-mo/fast forwarding in general ( that was the only thing I didn't like in 300) I agree with everything that's been said so far as to why it didn't work, but I still enjoyed it.

I went to it twice, first with a friend and then with my brothers. I liked it better the second time, but still, at the end of the day, it was just a really good film not a great film for me. Though, I must say, the opening credits were pretty amazing.

I read and own all the individual comics (I worked at a comics shop when it originally came out), and then bought the trade back in the 80's.

I've read the trade cover to cover around 4 times over the years, the most recent consumption being about a year and a half ago.

As a comic it has a charm necessarily missing from the film.

I delight in the Dave Gibbons illustrations, covers/sequential work. Never been a fan of the coloring though that is a small thing for me in this instance.

It's not so much the colors themselves as the sloppy 80's application. Love to see it recolored, tastefully recolored..

Though I'm sure that saying that is a kind of sacrilege.

I agree, I think it may have suffered from trying to be too close to the comic. I know, I can't believe I'm saying that ;)

One would imagine that that's the RIGHT thing to do. I just don't think some elements translated as well as they could have.

Massive undertaking, the film I mean. Tremendous amount of work and I salute the filmmakers for attempting to be honest and true to the source.

That's so rare.

Some things just don't translate to film that well.

For those of you who liked it, I'm really glad you did.

Maybe if this had come out 15 years ago when it was so much closer to the original wave of Watchmen hysteria, I might not have cared if it wasn't perfect, just that these great characters were realized on the big screen. But Watchmen has taken on a rather mythical status in the years since it's release.

It's hard to compete with that.

- tb

I saw this film with a bunch of friends and found the ones who loved the comic like myself enjoyed the film and the ones who hadnt read or didnt like the comic hated the film. Its definatley got a lot of flaws but overall i think its a good film but not as good as it should have been.

So with negative reactions to "The Spirit", "Wolverine" and "The Watchmen" and even "Spiderman 3" what is the future of the comic book movie? Or will films like all the the "Avengers" flicks forthcoming save us? I guess we've had our fair share of crap recently with "Ghost Rider" and "Daredevil".

Just curious if anyone else is worried?

Archived