Sign in to follow this  
Arsh

WATCHMEN

Another new Watchmen poster, I like a lot better than the one of Blake being thrown out the window. I think all pretty much all the poster have been top notch for Watchmen, I am so happy the studio hasn't resorted to floating heads.

and that even though it relinquished certain rights to the material in 1991 it held onto the right to distribute the first movie"

In light of this, it seems they have the right to make the film, but NOT distribute it... perhaps WB can sell it to FOX? Warner can decide how much they want to make from the film and use that figure as a determining factor in the settlement.

OR

Perhaps they could argue the definition of "distribute" and use some loop-hole? For instance, if distribution is defined as the traditional method of film distribution then maybe digital purchasing (setting up a website where everyone can download a digital copy for $1 or something of that order) might be something they want to consider...

In any case, I'm kinda disappointed that they can't maintain the 03.06.09 release date. But ultimately- we will see this film... it's just a matter of time. My only fear is that it won't live up to the rhetoric and intrigue surrounding it. I feel that (at best) it will mirror the comic book—which is utterly meaningless to people who see no intrinsic value in super-heroes [read:most].

In my opinion, the power of Watchmen exists in the relative mundaneness of traditional comic book logic and aesthetic constructs. Watchmen (which I love) is only relevant to those whom comics and comics lore is relevant. I find it hard to believe that it could be anything other than a flop to a general audience, who only enjoy comic book movies as "spectacle" and never really deliberate over the vacuous ambition behind the "masked crusaders" but that's just my personal suspicion...

I will LOVE it because I'm their target audience. :-)

Theatrical trailer is up. At first I was kinda surprised they didn't do anything with Manhattan's voice, but after watching it a few times I noticed there's a sort of disconnect to it that seems really fit.

Guest AdminGuyX

Well, I'm going to see anything Snyder directs, but his use of constant slow motion really bothers me sometimes. But, I like what I've seen so far of Watchmen. The new trailer seems pretty cool, and makes me want to dig out the old comic again!

;)

I don't think this recent trailer is as powerful as the "teaser trailer" (with the Smashing Pumpkins track). The voices are kinda bugging me—they seem just a bit too melodramatic and self-important. Also, I was sorta hoping that they'd do something interesting with Dr. Manhattans voice, something distinct...

Anyway, I'm just nitpicking... it's a foregone conclusion that I'm seeing the film (maybe multiple times) and will buy the Directors Cut DVD. Hopefully the Black Freighter will not be released as a completely separate thing (as I've heard suggested). I don't want these guys in my pocket multiple times; just hit me up once for the deluxe edition Directors Cut including the Black Freighter, my smiley face pin and I'm happy.

Well, I'm going to see anything Snyder directs, but his use of constant slow motion really bothers me sometimes. But, I like what I've seen so far of Watchmen. The new trailer seems pretty cool, and makes me want to dig out the old comic again!

;)

In the last 5-6 years, I've really got burned out on the slow motion stuff. Once upon a time, there used to be a time and place for it, now it almost seems manditory. But, I'm still pretty excited about this. This is the one of a few graphic novels I've believed for so long that could not be brought to the big screen, but it looks like I was wrong.

I love me some Gunplanet....*hugs*

This is great!

Last we heard (in October), Watchmen had a running time of 2 hours and 43 minutes. Well apparently is has gotten shorter. Sci-Fi reports that the current running time is two hours and 35 minutes, and the studio has yet to approve that cut. But fans shouldn’t worry as I wouldn’t expect the film to get that much shorter. I predict the film will end up around two and a half hour.

Continue reading:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/12/02/watchm...gets-shortened/

Cant wait to see watchmen

Does anyone know if the movie will be released in 2009.

Whatabout the author rights; 20th Fox and WB?

I was curious about that, myself. In the latest trailer the date seems to be consistent (03.06.09) so I'm going to take them at their word until I hear otherwise...

The whole "legal rights" issue is still being litigated, I suppose... But whatever is decided, I don't think that the movie should be held up due to the litigation. After all, the whole issue is about money; delays (I suspect) will only turn off the casual interest viewership.

But then, a big brewing controversy may peak interest? As an added note: As I understand it, the issue is Fox waived creation rights but not the rights to distribute the film.

Cant wait to see watchmen

Does anyone know if the movie will be released in 2009.

Whatabout the author rights; 20th Fox and WB?

Warner Bros has finally the Watchmen footage that was previewed at Comic Con in July. Actually, it appears to be a slightly modified version of the original footage, but who cares about technicalities. To watch the clip, click on the following link to be transfered to the Apple iTunes download page (Some International readers will have to wait until someone uploads the footage to YouTube or Vimeo). Again, a lot of really cool slow motion shots cut together.

Source: http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/12/09/watchm...-now-on-itunes/

Just some pleasant reaffirmation to see great works continue to be recognized after multiple decades. In my opinion, Watchmen is the benchmark for excellence in graphic fiction and continues to be amongst (if not the most) financially rewarding property for those involved. CBR has Watchmen selling 46k+ for November 2008.

Watchmen: One Million Copies in 2008

"As we reported earlier this week in our discussion with DC President Paul Levitz, the Watchmen trailer has had a significant effect on sales of the trade collection of the late ‘80s comic series by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. Previously, orders of 250-300,000 copies of the trade post-trailer were reported, but now, according to the New York Times, that number’s going up. Way up.

As George Gene Gustines reported for the Times, DC has printed 900,000 copies of the trade since the trailer debuted with The Dark Knight. The paper cites Levitz as saying that, in total; DC will have printed more than a million copies of Watchmen in 2008. "As far as we can tell from our conversations with the book industry people, there has never been a trailer that did this," Levitz told the Times. A representative from DC Comics confirmed the million copies number for Newsarama.

The trade has enjoyed a four-week run on USA Today’s bestseller list, where it has moved to #18 this week. It has also climbed as high as #2 on Amazon.com’s bestseller list. Currently, the trade is at #10 on Amazon.com.

According to BookScan, which measures sales at brick-and-mortar bookstores, Watchmen sold about 100,000 copies in 2007. The trade is perennially one of the best-selling trades in the comic book direct market as well.

As Levitz told Newsarama, the numbers are busting internal DC sales projections on a weekly basis. “It’s an exciting roller coaster,” Levitz said. “I have no idea how many copies we may sell when this is all said and done. I have hopes, but we’re already achieving some of what our hopes were before, so we just keep lifting the goal numbers.”

Watchmen tickets are already on sale, but only in one theater — the Palisades Center IMAX Theater in West Nyack, NY. But not anyone can preorder tickets. According to the Times Herald-Record, Patrons can use their bluetooth connected cellphones to download an exclusive 30-second clip from the film. After the clip, those connected patrons are given a “VIP opportunity to buy tickets to the first public showing of the film at 12:01 a.m. March 6.” While the ticket buying opportunity is supposed to be exclusive to those connecting with their cellphones, the tickets also seem to be available at IMAX.com/vip.

IMAX and Warner Bros are hoping that the “proximity marketing” experiment will result in extreme advance ticket sales from moviegoers at the theater to see The Day the Earth Stood Still. The reach of a bluetooth marketing campaign seems rather limited to me, but I love the idea of exclusive content available only on location. IMAX should offer a discount for patrons who buy tickets to twelve weeks in advance.

Source: http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/12/16/watchm...e-imax-theater/

This is probably my MOST anticipated movie of 09. I read the graphic novel and I LOVED IT!! Cannot wait for this one. I hope the rumors about the ending arent true or I hope that Zach fixed the ending to go with the novel.

A Los Angeles federal judge has moved the trial for "Watchmen" back two weeks to Jan. 20 after declining to issue a ruling on whether Fox or Warner Bros. controls the rights to the project.

Judge Gary Allen Feess set the new trial date Monday, noting that he's required to handle a criminal matter on Jan. 6. He also refused to make a pre-trial summary judgment -- as requested by both sides -- because, he said, the contracts between Fox and "Watchmen" producer Larry Gordon are so open to interpretation that they require a trial.

Warner Bros. has not backed off March 6 as the opening for "Watchmen," directed by Zack Snyder and starring Patrick Wilson and Jackie Earle Haley.

Fox's suit, filed in February, contends that it retains distribution rights to the graphic novel penned by Alan Moore and illustrated by Dave Gibbons. It asserts that Gordon's option to acquire Fox's remaining interest in "Watchmen" was never exercised, thereby leaving Fox with its rights under a 1994 turnaround agreement.

Warner Bros. has denied Fox's assertions and contended Fox doesn't hold the copyright.

Fox spent more than $1 million developing "Watchmen."

Source: http://www.variety.com/article/VR111799749...yid=13&cs=1

Devin Faraci at CHUD.com got a chance to watch the first 22 minutes of Warner Bros. Pictures' Watchmen this weekend at Butt-Numb-A-Thon in Austin and has described what he saw in full. Here's a clip:

It will look and feel like a real movie.

That's a weird thing to say, but there are lots of people out there who, having only seen the trailers released to the public, are jumping to the conclusion that Zack Snyder has made a Watchmen filled with speed ramping and flashy money shots. From what I've seen this isn't even remotely true at all. The footage is stylish - well shot, with rich visuals and dynamic compositions - but it looked more like a modern take on a noir film than anything else. What I saw was moody, sometimes muted. Snyder allows his takes to be long, eschewing a quick cut style that many seem to think would rule the day in this film. The 22 minutes I saw didn't feel like an action film at all.

You can check out his full article here!

Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=51353

Some more posters:

watchmen-comicon.jpg

watchmen-1113f.jpg

United States District Court judge Gary A. Feess has a horrible Christmas present for Watchmen fans. The judge concluded on Wednesday that 20th Century Fox “should prevail on crucial issues” in their lawsuit with Warner Bros over the rights to the comic book movie adaptation. According to the New York Times, Feess says that “Fox owns a copyright interest consisting of, at the very least, the right to distribute the Watchmen motion picture” and that “The parties may wish to turn their efforts from preparing for trial to negotiating a resolution of this dispute or positioning the case for review.” The trial had been scheduled for January.

You’re probably wondering what this decision means to you, the eager movie ticket buyer. Let me preface this by saying that I’m not a lawyer, but this is what I have gathered from the various legal articles I have consumed over the last few months. To start, it means that Warner Bros likely has no rights to distribute a film based on the Watchmen graphic novel. They could appeal this ruling and continue to fight, what is appearing to seem like an unwinnable battle, or start negotiating with Fox on some sort of settlement. An earlier LA Times report states that:

“The more likely outcome is Fox studio chief Tom Rothman or Warners’ head Alan Horn striking some sort of compromise deal in which the studios share the movie’s costs and proceeds. But because Warners already is sharing the portion of the film it didn’t sell to Paramount with financing partner Legendary Pictures, the studio doesn’t have that much to divvy up.”

The talks will likely result in a deal that will give Fox co-distribution rights to the film, or even full rights to the motion picture. It seems doubtful that Fox would squash the release of the film altogether, but from what I understand, that possibility exists. Making a deal with Warner Bros could be a dangerous precedent for the company to make to make in terms of copyright ownership.

That said, I would be surprised if a deal doesn’t go down. Also, I would be surprised if Watchmen keeps it’s March release date. There will be a lot more to this story, and we will keep you updated as the news comes in.

Source: http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/12/24/breaki...ts-to-watchmen/

This hasn't been the best Christmas Eve for Warner Bros. as the New York Times reports that 20th Century Fox has won a ruling against Warners towards their claim over the rights to Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons' graphic novel Watchmen, which director Zack Snyder turned into a nearly completed film.

Originally, the matter was going to be settled at a trial set for late January, just six weeks before the intended release for Snyder's movie on March 6. In a surprise ruling, Judge Gary A. Feess concluded that 20th Century Fox owns a copyright interest and have the right to distribute the movie themselves, having acquired the rights to the graphic novel in the late '80s before shelving the intended film. Judge Feess has suggested that the studios work on a settlement or an appeal rather than going to trial, but we probably won't hear the results of this decision until the New Year.

You can read the full New York Times story here.

Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=51558

Warner Bros. will have to scramble to settle with 20th Century Fox if it still wants to release "Watchmen" on March 6.

In a Christmas Eve decision, a Los Angeles federal judge ruled that Fox owns the distribution rights to "Watchmen." "Fox owns a copyright interest consisting of, at the very least, the right to distribute the 'Watchmen' motion picture," Judge Gary Allen Feess ruled.

Judge Feess issued the surprise five-page ruling a week after setting a Jan. 20 trial date for Fox's suit and indicated he would issue a more detailed ruling soon. He also advised the studios to either reach a settlement or prepare an appeal.

"The parties may wish to turn their efforts from preparing for trial to negotiating a resolution of this dispute or positioning the case for review," he said in the ruling.

Warner spokesman Scott Rowe declined to comment. The studio has not backed off a release date of March 6 for "Watchmen," directed by Zack Snyder and starring Patrick Wilson and Jackie Earle Haley.

Fox filed the suit in February, contending it retains distribution rights to the graphic novel penned by Alan Moore and illustrated by Dave Gibbons.

The suit asserts that producer Lawrence Gordon's option to acquire Fox's remaining interest in "Watchmen" was never exercised, thereby leaving Fox with its rights under a 1994 turnaround agreement. Warner Bros. has denied Fox's assertions and contends Fox doesn't hold the copyright.

Fox originally acquired the rights to "Watchmen" in the late 1980s and spent more than $1 million developing the project, which later went to Universal and then Paramount before landing at Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures.

Par's handling the international release of "Watchmen" and plans a day-and-date opening in many major markets.

Source: http://www.variety.com/article/VR111799777...yid=13&cs=1