Sign in to follow this  
Arsh

WATCHMEN

They tried to get it dismissed, the judge denied it. So most likely they will just pay out Fox, it's happened before Fox involving some other movie.

Its a complicated situation.

Warner Bros. spent money on a movie they're gonna get a good return on.

But they legally weren't allowed to make that movie.

That doesn't mean FOX was interested in making it anyway.

They should just team up for this one like MGM and Universal for Red Dragon.

Universal owned Manhunter but MGM owned the Hopkins Hannibal Lecter franchise.

-TL

Yeah, but they obviously would have said something before production started. The thing is in post right now so all they care about is getting some money out of it. It's gonna get released, whether or not a 20th Century Fox logo will in front is yet to be seen.

I think the film will definitely come out- the question is will FOX get a piece of it. If the courts decide that FOX is legally entitled to a portion of the box-office; they'll do everything in their power to ensure that the movie is a success. If the courts decide that FOX is only entitled to the sum of the licensing rights it originally bought then they'll bog the movie down in red-tape and legal injunctions (if they can).

I think it's interesting (i.e., deceptive) that FOX didn't present its case to the courts until the film was completely shot and in post-production. This tells me that they think Warner will be more inclined to negotiate a settlement now that they've established premiere dates and launched their promotional campaign.

Unlike the spectacle of Heath Ledgers death which automatically made the Dark Knight a success — the types of legal wranglings Warner and Fox are getting into won't peak the interest of the casual movie-goer (in my opinion), but only water-down interest...

If FOX gets it, DC and Legendary Pictures are definitely cursed.

-TL

Like I said Fox just wants some money, and they will get it. The movie is still coming out in 2009, I'm not worried at all.

The March 6 release date just got canned.

Due to the court injunction they're pushing it to early April, but it could also end up being released in mid-June if things get stretched out in court.

Looks like FOX is slowly winning the war.

-TL

The March 6 release date just got canned.

Due to the court injunction they're pushing it to early April, but it could also end up being released in mid-June if things get stretched out in court.

Looks like FOX is slowly winning the war.

-TL

Now that ruins my day. I was all hyped up that Watchmen was going to open on my Birthday. I might have to give FOX a piece of my mind ;)

Guest AdminGuyX

Yeah, the few articles I've read about the case today seem like the judge is favoring WB, and wants the film to be released. That's hopeful!

I would hope the judge would see that this is all a power play. It's not like FOX didn't know the film was being made in the last 12 months or more. It's kind of a dick move to let them film it then say, "Can't release it".

i watched a G4 interview with a guy from entertainment weekly, he said the fans of Watchmen would boycott any FOX movies because of the mess they are making....ironically Wolverine, the movie,... is being done by FOX.......now thats a battle of pick your sides.....also he said he got this information off the internet.....hhmmmmm.....

Spoiler Alert! DO NOT read if you don't want to know

Press Gets Sneak Peek at 3 Scenes

After The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen he's been against any film of his past work. It could be a four hour panel for panel recreation of the story, he'd still be against it. He doesn't care for the films, and signs away any money he would get for them to the artists that worked on whatever book was being adapted.

Now whether he is just going to be indifferent towards the film, or just outright say it's horrible is yet to be seen. Snyder and co. haven't been trying to use his name like Joel Silver did for V for Vendetta, where he claimed to get Moore's blessing when he never did.

But, I think this is going to be the first truly faithful adaptation of one of his stories.

Alan Moore:

"I find film in its modern form to be quite bullying, it spoon-feeds us, which has the effect of watering down our collective cultural imagination. It is as if we are freshly hatched birds looking up with our mouths open waiting for Hollywood to feed us more regurgitated worms. The Watchmen film sounds like more regurgitated worms. I for one am sick of worms. Can't we get something else? Perhaps some takeout? Even Chinese worms would be a nice change.

...Yes, perhaps I should get out more. Will the film even be coming out? There are these legal problems now, which I find wonderfully ironic. Perhaps it's been cursed from afar, from England. And I can tell you that I will also be spitting venom all over it for months to come.

Watchmen is inherently unfilmable.

There are three or four companies now that exist for the sole purpose of creating not comics, but storyboards for films. It may be true that the only reason the comic book industry now exists is for this purpose, to create characters for movies, board games and other types of merchandise. Comics are just a sort of pumpkin patch growing franchises that might be profitable for the ailing movie industry. They take an idea, bowdlerize it, blow it up, make it infantile and spend $100 million to give people a brief escape from their boring and often demeaning lives at work. It's obscene and it's offensive. This is not the culture I signed up for. I'm sure I sound like Bobby Fischer talking about chess.

I got into comics because I thought it was a good and useful medium that had not been explored to its fullest potential."

-TL

Everyone who follows Alan Moore's work already knows that. This is nothing new.

Interestingly enough he wasn't always vehemently against a Watchmen film. It's from 1988, but towards the bottom he talks about a movie version, and shockingly enough thinks that Schwarzenegger could have played Dr. Manhattan.

Fantasy Advertiser - Watchmen interview

The movie so far is up there at around two and a half hours, so it isn't going to include every little bit of background info on characters but the DVD is planning on being over three and a half hours so.... Regardless of what he says, I think it'll be great.

New footage from Watchmen and Friday the 13th will premiere during Scream 2008, which airs Tuesday night, October 21st. Look for it!

thx for that clip...beautiful...i also dig how the smashing pumpkin tune goes with the flow of the scenes.

'Watchmen' Stills - Photo Gallery on Yahoo! Movies

http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/moviestills...-stills/#photo0