Noeland and I Make a Movie!!!

Guest FADoss

Meeting through this board and meeting a lot of other like-minded folks through myspace etc, I assisted in engineering an amazing short film project and thankfully had the brain-power to ask Noeland to be a part of it. We did what our producer, Robert Gordon Spencer, is calling the cooperative film experience. I flew in from New Mexico, Robert came in from Florida and we had guys from Boston, New York and Mississippi coming out to be a part of this, and MOST of us had never met in person prior to the shoot. The results with talented people like Noeland and the lovely Liz McGeever I think even surprised us that had high hopes before the shoot. This film is sure to be a catalyst for great things.

The film itself is a great story of an assassin who falls in love. It's about friendship, betrayal etc. and has some great private life moments in the lives of these trained killers (poker games, clubbing, romantic walks in the park) that give a sense of reality to a very sensationalized occupation. I hope it comes across as somewhat as a slice of life...with several dark turns.

We wrapped (for the most part...still have one small shot to fill) yesterday in ATLANTA (a BEAUTIFUL place to film a movie) and I miss it dearly. Editing will hopefully be complete by around 1 March and we'll be touring the film festivals.

Hopefully Noeland will put up some stills here when he gets around to it. He's busy with all the post work right now. Oh, and he's a fucking GENIUS by the way!!!

Frederic

Am I the only one who read the thread title wrong? "Nolan and I make a make a movie" :P

Anyway... Cool beans! Hope it turns out great. And good luck too all involved!

Guest AdminGuyX
Am I the only one who read the thread title wrong?

^_^

hahaha. Nope, thought the same thing when I saw it. :) And given the amount of joking we did about it on set, and the fact that Fred is a non-stop dirty joke machine, nothing would surprise me!

I'll post something soon, probably tomorrow evening, maybe tonight if the heavens are smiling on me. I'll also post a rudown on what happened the 4 days of shooting. It was quite an adventure.

Right now, I must return to work . . .

:(

I just got cast as the lead in an independent feature film!!!!!! It's gonna be released in select theaters in Michigan and Chicago!!!!!! Looks like the 3 of us got it going on ha?!

-Raf

Way to go guys!

I'll bet you can't count the hours of sleep you caught over those 4 days on one hand.

Sounds like you had a blast.

Nothing like Guerilla filmmaking eh?

Does your film have a title yet?

- TB

Tim,

Sleep was definitely optional. We shot over 20 pages of script, not to mention probably a couple pages of improv in 4 DAYS! AND...it all looked great with multiple takes, camera angles etc. My only regret was not being able to see Irish up there. :(

Our crew was pretty much Noeland, his cohort in crime Ryan Workman and then whoever else happened to not be in a scene at the time carried crap around and helped load, unload the car(s). It was truly a labor of love and these two fricking guys were wizards.

And yes...I am rather vulgar on occasion. :P

Frederic

Here are a couple of photos. Noeland has all the good ones from the actual shoot.

l_7248d67a4fd953143aa9d149eda1de51.jpg

This is Ryan Workman filming me discovering my next target. He is an incredible filmmaker and limbo star.

l_699961c6a25d8310e2d8e07e1d637070.jpg

Here is a group photo of the core of us. From left to right, Ryan Workman (has previously worked with Noeland on several great projects and handled everything from 2nd camera, make-up, the entire second unit, sound, lighting and everything in between), Liz McGeever (look her up on imdb. She's an incredible actress and we were so happy she accepted our request to play Nicky, our female lead), Robert Gordon Spencer (Our Producer, writer, sugar daddy, friend and actor who played Victor, Nathan's best friend and fellow hit man), ME (I played Nathan, the lead, as well as helped putting the project in motion through recruiting some VERY talented folks to play with us), Noeland Collins (I had great faith in Noeland's ability to direct this thing before filming, but realized very quickly that even I had underestimated his capabilities. He's just fucking great!)

More to come.

Guest AdminGuyX

It's titled "Expectations" as written by Robert Gordon Spencer.

I averaged 3 hours of sleep a night, wednesday, thursday, friday, and saturday nights. But that's just how it works on a film like this one, and even on the big budget ones too. You just never have enough hours in the day, and even after you wrap, there could have been more you could have shot.

We shot with 2 cameras, you see the Canon GL2 in Ryan's hand, and I used a Canon XL-1s, primarily with the 16X lens. This was really a film of closeups, and intimacy, and it was important to me to express that in just about every frame.

The fact is we owe a HUGE thank you to Tim and these boards. If you guys hadn't opened them, Fred and I would not have met and become friends, and in turn would not have been able to crank out this little film.

Those 2 photos were taken in the final moments of shooting actually, and we missed a nasty storm by about half an hour. Tornados and everything. One missed my house by 5 miles.

We don't have a lot of stills, maybe just those even. We didn't have anyone shooting stills on set.

I'll be posting screen caps later on tonight, good lord willing and the creek don't rise, as my mother says. ;)

And yeah, Irish46, my big brother Andy, was scheduled to fly down from Detroit and lend a hand. He ended up having a pretty important business meeting on friday though, so he couldn't come. :(

But he did provide us with a killer prop sniper rifle, and he was there in spirit.

Njc--------------

It's titled "Expectations" as written by Robert Gordon Spencer.

I averaged 3 hours of sleep a night, wednesday, thursday, friday, and saturday nights. But that's just how it works on a film like this one, and even on the big budget ones too. You just never have enough hours in the day, and even after you wrap, there could have been more you could have shot.

We shot with 2 cameras, you see the Canon GL2 in Ryan's hand, and I used a Canon XL-1s, primarily with the 16X lens. This was really a film of closeups, and intimacy, and it was important to me to express that in just about every frame.

The fact is we owe a HUGE thank you to Tim and these boards. If you guys hadn't opened them, Fred and I would not have met and become friends, and in turn would not have been able to crank out this little film.

Those 2 photos were taken in the final moments of shooting actually, and we missed a nasty storm by about half an hour. Tornados and everything. One missed my house by 5 miles.

We don't have a lot of stills, maybe just those even. We didn't have anyone shooting stills on set.

I'll be posting screen caps later on tonight, good lord willing and the creek don't rise, as my mother says. ;)

And yeah, Irish46, my big brother Andy, was scheduled to fly down from Detroit and lend a hand. He ended up having a pretty important business meeting on friday though, so he couldn't come. :(

But he did provide us with a killer prop sniper rifle, and he was there in spirit.

Njc--------------

Yeah, I was up here in Detroit, Michigan, listening to business bullshit and just about FREAKING BLEEDING TO DEATH with the desire to be down there!!!! I can't explain enough how badly I WANTED TO BE THERE in way more than just spirit!!!! But my prayers were with you and it sounds like it went well. I can't wait to see WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more stuff!

...and you can blame me for the lack of stills...that was supposed to be my job...goddammi.t

Yeah, I was up here in Detroit, Michigan, listening to business bullshit and just about FREAKING BLEEDING TO DEATH with the desire to be down there!!!! I can't explain enough how badly I WANTED TO BE THERE in way more than just spirit!!!! But my prayers were with you and it sounds like it went well. I can't wait to see WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more stuff!

...and you can blame me for the lack of stills...that was supposed to be my job...goddammi.t

You were truly missed! I'll catch you on the next one though. :)

Well can't wait to see the caps. Has a release date been set yet?

Irish- You live in Detroit?

-Raffi

Not down town, but close enough to spit on Mayor Kilpatrick's Manoogian Mansion Lawn!

Actually I live about 30 miles east of Detroit in the small Hamlet of Chesterfield. Spent many a day running the mean streets of Detroit...ha,ha,ha in my YOUTH!!!!

haha I hope it was in your youth.

I have a buddy who lives in Chesterfield. Kind of far from me, about a 25-30 minute drive. I live in Sterling Heights if you're familiar with that area.

We need to get back on topic! My fault.

-Raf

As for release date, this one is getting into the hands of some cool folks out in LA, but I'm planning the festival circuit. Between Noeland, Robert and I we will also be planning a premiere for cast/crew and possibly interested parties...more to come. I know the plan is to have everything fairly wrapped up by 1 March and have it out to LA on the 15th. Here's hoping.

Eventually! It's going to have to hit the festivals etc before we can upload it to the net. Liz and I have been emailing back and forth about the FEATURE version. Robert and I talked on the phone about it last night. No telling what the hell is going to happen with this one.

As much as Noeland hates trailers for shorts (I seem to recall him saying this at one point) I think a sneak peak could go on the net.

And again, a cast/crew/contributor screening would have an open invite to the RAW boards folks I would assume...if you can make it to Atlanta.

:P

Frederic

Hey, I just had to add myself to this chat. I am very excited to see the results of our work. The Collaborative Film Environment really worked! I feel confident that when you see this film and before that....a trailer....You will want more! The talent on this film was amazing! I am very proud of everyone and look forward to the next film we do together.

Robert

Archived